Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Manners?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:03:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I don't
>remember seeing bad manners until I left for college. I guess I grew up in
>a very sheltered environment.

I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
table when everyone is seated.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
> which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
> table when everyone is seated.

What if you want more? What if your guests at table want more?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> ha scritto nel messaggio
news
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:03:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I don't
>>remember seeing bad manners until I left for college. I guess I grew up
>>in
>>a very sheltered environment.

> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
> which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
> table when everyone is seated.

But your extra may not be someone else's enough! Do you really decide how
much other people will get?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> <sf> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
>> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
>> which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
>> table when everyone is seated.

> But your extra may not be someone else's enough! Do you really decide how
> much other people will get?

My sister in law surely does. She makes the barest minimum of food for
family get togethers. She's into "eat to live, NOT live to eat" mindset,
and it is sort of unpleasant to eat at her home. There is never anything
more, and the servings are almost measured out. No one is going to get
fat at her house! LOL. She is the type that eats and immediately gets up
to take the dishes off the table and make dinner "over" whereas my
family liked to linger, perhaps nibble some more. It comes across as
inhospitable and miserly.
My step mother and father once brought some wine over for casual family
dinner and the sister in law pitched a fit refusing to serve it (or let
it in the house) because she doesn't believe in alcohol consumption. Yet
my brother is "allowed" to drink wine out of their house. She's just
very weird about food. Pleasure in something as hedonistic as food is to
be discouraged! Oy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote:
>> <sf> ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
>>> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
>>> which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
>>> table when everyone is seated.

>> But your extra may not be someone else's enough! Do you really decide
>> how much other people will get?

> My sister in law surely does. She makes the barest minimum of food for
> family get togethers.

snippage
It comes across as
> inhospitable and miserly.
> My step mother and father once brought some wine over for casual family
> dinner and the sister in law pitched a fit refusing to serve it (or let it
> in the house) because she doesn't believe in alcohol consumption. Yet my
> brother is "allowed" to drink wine out of their house. She's just very
> weird about food. Pleasure in something as hedonistic as food is to be
> discouraged! Oy.

Believe me, someone like that is not just wierd about food! Does it mot
make you wonder about an adult being "allowed" to do this or that?

I could never take it on myself to know what a 6'-4" guy, who may have been
chopping wood all afternoon, should eat. I also don't know how much of
'this' it may take to make up for the fact that 'this other' was something X
,Y or Z could not or would not eat. When planning portions for clients I
have been stunned at how much some can eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:22:49 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\"" >
wrote:

>> Would that be the picture of me with grease running down to my elbow?

>Of course. I just figured your tongue wasn't long enough to reach it

Ok, this deserves a repost of that picture.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zilbandy" > wrote in message
. ..

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:22:49 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\"" >
> wrote:
>
>>> Would that be the picture of me with grease running down to my elbow?

>>Of course. I just figured your tongue wasn't long enough to reach it

> Ok, this deserves a repost of that picture.
>
> --
> Zilbandy

Done. Look on A.B.F. Subject: Repost Request

TFM® <hanging head in shame>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> My sister in law surely does. She makes the barest minimum of food for
> family get togethers. She's into "eat to live, NOT live to eat"
> mindset, and it is sort of unpleasant to eat at her home. There is
> never anything more, and the servings are almost measured out. No one
> is going to get fat at her house! LOL. She is the type that eats and
> immediately gets up to take the dishes off the table and make dinner
> "over" whereas my family liked to linger, perhaps nibble some more.
> It comes across as inhospitable and miserly.

Ugh. I hope she has some redeeming qualities, because she's
a control freak or something. And I cannot stand when you're
hanging out around the table and Whoosh! someone's clearing it,
gotta clean up right now!

> My step mother and father once brought some wine over for casual
> family dinner and the sister in law pitched a fit refusing to serve
> it (or let it in the house) because she doesn't believe in alcohol
> consumption. Yet my brother is "allowed" to drink wine out of their
> house. She's just very weird about food. Pleasure in something as
> hedonistic as food is to be discouraged! Oy.

You just know there was some weird stuff in her childhood or
something. If your brother goes along with it, that's his thing,
but pitching fits at your guests and making them feel uncomfortable
is rude.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 13:25:21 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>>
>>> Some rules we
>>>
>>> 1. Wash & dress for dinner
>>> 2. Children should be seen & not heard unless spoken to directly
>>> by an adult.
>>> 3. You may never ask for anything more that water at someone
>>> else's house. Something offered is a different story.
>>> 4. Eat to your left & drink to your right.
>>> 5. Wait for the hostess to begin eating before starting to eat.
>>> 6. Please and thank you were mandatory.
>>> 7. Have respect for the dignity of the servants

>> Might I add:
>>
>> Once a dinner invitation is accepted, the only possible reason for
>> the invitee's absence is the dinner's attendance by his/her executor
>> ;-> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> LOL!
>
> Amen!
>
> How about NEVER dropping someone's house by without calling first?
>
> Dimitri

That is a big no-no in my book! I don't want unexpected company. Unlike
the genteel days of old when there were no telephones so people (read:
gentlewomen) went "calling" in the afternoon, I won't have tea ready to
serve. Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:39:21 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:

>> Ok, this deserves a repost of that picture.
>>
>> --
>> Zilbandy

>Done. Look on A.B.F. Subject: Repost Request
>
>TFM® <hanging head in shame>

Shoot, I thought it was gonna be a big burger. That looks just right
to me... although it needs a big ol' slice of onion in there
somewhere. The only shame I see is that you didn't share it with me.
::drool::

--
Zilbandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Servants Was manners

Dimitri wrote:
> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>

>> "Dimitri" > wrote
>>
>>> 7. Have respect for the dignity of the servants

>> That speaks volumes about the difference in your upbringing and
>> mine. I was the servant.
>>
>> I was nonetheless taught manners, and they were enforced.
>>

>> TFM®

> Hmmm I read your comment a while ago and have been thinking about an
> appropriate response.
>
> I have been dirt poor and also lived in some pretty good surroundings.
>
> I am thoroughly convinced the saying "Money won't buy happiness" is a
> bull shit myth invented by rich folks to keep the poor folks in line.
>
> If in fact you were the servant then you deserve all the respect in
> the world IHMO. I think it takes a very special person who hires
> themselves out and ends up sharing in the lives of another family. I
> can not imagine anything more difficult.
>
> Dimitri

My Scottish grandmother was a servant. She was described as a "ladies maid"
but I can pretty much guarantee she was slinging haggis [a joke] in the
kitchen and serving food for the family she worked for. This was just after
the turn of the 20th century. The Victorian era. She probably didn't get
much respect but I doubt she was treated badly. I wish I'd been old enough
to think to ask her about those times before she died (1976).

Funny thing is, after she got married and they emigrated (first to Canada
and then to the U.S.) her "job" didn't change much. But she made sure my
grandpa knew she was more than a maid... tossed a skillet at his head once
when he complained about something They got along famously for over 60
years LOL

She was very big on manners. She taught all her children manners were
important. And my mother taught me. I do RSVP (usually to say no thank
you). I write thank you notes (easier these days with email). I'm not
always polite here but hey, sometimes I get ticked off and it shows. I
inheirited grandma's red hair temper

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TFM® wrote:

> "Zilbandy" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>>Of course. I just figured your tongue wasn't long enough to reach it
>>>

>> Ok, this deserves a repost of that picture.
>>
>> --
>> Zilbandy

> Done. Look on A.B.F. Subject: Repost Request
>
> TFM® <hanging head in shame>

No shame involved. That looked like a great burger. Guess what we're
gonna have tonight? Dad had volunteered to make meat balls, but after I
saw those pictures I thought burgers were a better idea <VBG>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 24, 12:54*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> I was recently exposed to a group of people bragging that they
> had no clue about basic manners and their kids thought nothing
> about telling a host(ess) that the food served "sucked."
>
> I was a little peeved about their laizzez-faire attitudes and
> voiced that opinion.
>
> I'm no saint but to tell me that the food being served sucked
> would be immediately actionable. The little snot would find
> themselves out the door and on the porch before they finished
> breathing.
>
> My Sainted Mother(tm) taught me several things: Writing thank
> you notes, bringing a hostess a minor gift, RSVPing not only in
> a timely manner but to EVERY invitation, and always stressed
> the cliché "if you don't have any thing nice to say don't say
> anything." (I've modified it to, "Just because you can think it
> doesn't mean you should say it.")
>
> I've also passed this important knowledge on to my
> daughter-units since day one. It stuns other parents when my
> girls respond to RSVP quickly, write thank you notes, always
> say please and thank you, and have never turned a dish away
> because they might not like it.
>
> Were "you*" taught proper manners and socially acceptable
> etiquette? Were these concepts important in your family? Do you
> consider them important? Who stressed them more, a specific
> family member or a friend?
>
> * Generic; not specific.
>
> The Ranger

We had dinner table rules which were similar to yours, in addition to
writing thank-yous, responding to invitations (first one accepted
cannot be recalled for a better offer later), etc. I taught my
children in the same way. But they don't do these things as adults.
I dunno why, but I suspect peer influence.

We would never insult someone's food offering, just saying, "No thank
you," or accepting a small amount and trying it.

Courtesy in this day of cell phones, text messaging (and its attendant
idiotic phonetic spelling - there's a pun waiting to happen - ) and
more broken families, has fallen by the wayside in many instances.
Many teenagers (not all) do not know how to introduce people; how to
carry on a conversation in person; how to talk on the phone; how to
avoid taboo topics (politics, money, religion), etc., and how to
respect adults because they were either not taught to begin with, or
they follow their peers' habits.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 2:15*am, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:03:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>
> > wrote:
> >I don't
> >remember seeing bad manners until I left for college. *I guess I grew up in
> >a very sheltered environment.

> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
> which is something I still don't like. *I don't want extra food on the
> table when everyone is seated.

That's a new one to me. All our meals were family-style, even though
served by my grandmother who always had a maid and other servants.
Iowa's Amana Colonies restaurants are known for their family-style
service. What possible objection could there be to have dishes of
food on the table when everyone is seated??? What do you do if people
want seconds - are they forbidden? Are you talking about regular
family get-togethers? Very odd.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> You just know there was some weird stuff in her childhood or
> something. If your brother goes along with it, that's his thing,
> but pitching fits at your guests and making them feel uncomfortable
> is rude.
>
> nancy

It is unreasonable, IMO. My brother sits next to her drinking wine at
everyone else's home and in restaurants. There is no reason, IMO, that
she just can't decline it herself and let everyone else enjoy.
Especially since the meal in question where it happened was a large
family meal where everyone brought something. Dad just happened to bring
wine. It was a casual family meal.
She ain't Italian, that's for sure. <sigh> She makes a huge big
production out of her "economy" and "frugal" ways yet instead of looking
virtuous she looks cheap and stingy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> In my childhood, when doors were never locked, friends and even
> neighbours, not only arrived unannounced but would just let themselves
> in, call hello or if nobody was home, leave something on the table or
> borrow what they had come for. This was in an industrial city. I still
> don't mind in the least when people drop by unannounced; never offer
> any apologies or explanations about the pyjamas or mess ...they take
> us as they find us. They will invariably be offered hospitality of some
> kind (my mother would spin in her grave if I didn't) .
>
> Janet

I lean more towards your view. And that was how my childhood was in the
comfortable 'burbs. I don't mind unexpected visitors, in fact, would
welcome them almost anytime. But then again my vanity hates being caught
in my jammies with bedhead and the house a wreck. That's the chance I take.
I wish more people would stop by. I'd rather see them any way I can than
wait for an arranged visit. Some of the best times are the least
arranged or expected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:31:17 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> I, like you, was born before the advent of the remote control. I was the
>> remote control until I was 16 years old.

> I was the Vertical Hold child until I was 18.
>
> -sw

did you emancipate yourself, or did they kick you out of the house?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 26 Aug 2008 08:10:53a, Nancy2 told us...

> On Aug 26, 2:15*am, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 06:03:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I don't
>> >remember seeing bad manners until I left for college. *I guess I grew

> up in
>> >a very sheltered environment.

>> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
>> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
>> which is something I still don't like. *I don't want extra food on the
>> table when everyone is seated.
>>

> That's a new one to me. All our meals were family-style, even though
> served by my grandmother who always had a maid and other servants.
> Iowa's Amana Colonies restaurants are known for their family-style
> service. What possible objection could there be to have dishes of
> food on the table when everyone is seated??? What do you do if people
> want seconds - are they forbidden? Are you talking about regular
> family get-togethers? Very odd.
>
> N.

Same here, Nancy. At least if there weren't dishes of food on the table,
they were on the sideboard and readily avalable. I really dislike most
meals served in the home that are plated in the kitchen, with no options.

At last in a restaurant, I can clearly specify what they will bring out on
the plate.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 08(VIII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
5dys 15hrs 23mins
Never underestimate the power of human
stupidity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 26 Aug 2008 08:26:38a, Goomba told us...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> You just know there was some weird stuff in her childhood or
>> something. If your brother goes along with it, that's his thing,
>> but pitching fits at your guests and making them feel uncomfortable
>> is rude.
>>
>> nancy

> It is unreasonable, IMO. My brother sits next to her drinking wine at
> everyone else's home and in restaurants. There is no reason, IMO, that
> she just can't decline it herself and let everyone else enjoy.
> Especially since the meal in question where it happened was a large
> family meal where everyone brought something. Dad just happened to bring
> wine. It was a casual family meal.
> She ain't Italian, that's for sure. <sigh> She makes a huge big
> production out of her "economy" and "frugal" ways yet instead of looking
> virtuous she looks cheap and stingy.

She needs to be slapped upside the head for her rediculous ideas and
behavior.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 08(VIII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
5dys 15hrs 20mins
I am not a number! I am a free man!
-- Prisoner 24601
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 26 Aug 2008 08:02:02a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> "Ms P" > :
> in rec.food.cooking
>

>> When my kids were little we had one channel. Seriously. Your three
>> choices were, on with sound, on without sound or off. I watched a lot
>> of stuff without sound.

> Did you have the radio mystery series on the radio? I never got to
> enjoy those because they were well before my time but one station
> revived it when I was about 16. I absolutely loved listening to it.
> Times past... good times mostly.
>
> Michael <- reminiscing

My dad didn't permit listening to those programs on the big console radio
in our den, so I would often sneak, into the kitchen and listen on a little
Arvin radio kept on a shelf there. I loved the mysteries and the dramas.
Television took a lot of the magic out of radio. The first thing I
remember watching on television of any importance was the coronation of
Queen Elizabeth II.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 08(VIII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
5dys 15hrs 15mins
Space is an illusion, disk space doubly so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:38:54 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>I'm trying to figure out what would prompt a child to say that the food
>sucks.

I'll bet it's a combination of poor patenting and a spoiled brat of a
child. And the behavior will probably keep happening. Years ago I
had family over and I made cioppino. There was bread with dipping
oils and a beautiful salad. I don't remember what else I served other
than spaghetti because I new the kids probably wouldn't be big on the
cioppino.

The spaghetti was made by a first generation born in the US Italian.
They had a party the day before and she volunteered to make enough for
my party also. It was about as good as it gets. One of the little
girls said: "mommy I can't eat this because it's not good." I
secretly overheard everyone else raving about what I wonderful meal
Uncle Lou had prepared yet the little girl got away with insulting me
because it didn't taste like Ragu.

Fast forward a few years and little girl is now in her early teens and
tells her dad she wouldn't sit on the tractor to mow the lawn and he
was stupid for asking her to do so.

Fast forward a few more years and little girl now drives a car daddy
bought for her. She speaks very little to her mother unless she wants
something. She'll speak to daddy because he's the bread winner. At
family functions she'll speak to criticize, but that's about it.

Strange as it is her brother is one of the coolest kids you could
imagine. But she's been a rude beast since she was born.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

<snip>

>> Amen!
>>
>> How about NEVER dropping someone's house by without calling first?
>>
>> Dimitri

Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas

> Jill

Al the more reason TO drop by.

;-)

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 10:55*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > TFM® > wrote:

> >> I, like you, was born before the advent of the remote control. *I was the
> >> remote control until I was 16 years old.

> > I was the Vertical Hold child until I was 18.

> > -sw

> You had the easy job. *I held the tin foil on the rabbit ears and had to
> move every time the channel was changed.

We were much more modern. We had two cannals and an antena. I got to
stand outside and turn it until the second station came in. This
could be nasty on winter nights.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:

> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>> > You had the easy job. I held the tin foil on the rabbit ears and had to
>> > move every time the channel was changed.

>> You had channels?

> Wow. We only had one river.

We didn't even have a river. All we had was a tributary.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Saerah Gray >
> . 102: in
> rec.food.cooking
>
>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > fnord
>> :

>>> You had the easy job. I held the tin foil on the rabbit ears and had
>>> to move every time the channel was changed.
>>>

>> Oh yeah? well, we didn't even have a TV; my siblings and I had to read
>> the TV listings and act out the programs from the descriptions.

> Ohhh... did any of you become famous in movies, TV or the theatre?

Her sister was nominated once for a Homie.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Baraclough" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> The message >
> from "jmcquown" > contains these words:
>
>> Dimitri wrote:

>> > How about NEVER dropping someone's house by without calling first?

>> That is a big no-no in my book! I don't want unexpected company. Unlike
>> the genteel days of old when there were no telephones so people (read:
>> gentlewomen) went "calling" in the afternoon, I won't have tea ready to
>> serve. Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas

> In my childhood, when doors were never locked, friends and even
> neighbours, not only arrived unannounced but would just let themselves
> in, call hello or if nobody was home, leave something on the table or
> borrow what they had come for. This was in an industrial city. I still
> don't mind in the least when people drop by unannounced; never offer
> any apologies or explanations about the pyjamas or mess ...they take
> us as they find us. They will invariably be offered hospitality of some
> kind (my mother would spin in her grave if I didn't) .
>
> Janet

Sounds like my childhood home except for the PJs. I am not like my mother
who slaved all morning so she could be elegantly available in the
afternoons. Ot was nothing to feed dozens Sunday lunch or supper as people
dropped by.
I think the bar has been raised now, though. I think we are all expected to
be perfect all the time with these so called miracle appliances, and s I
prefer notice so I can pretend to fluff around going for perfect.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Amen!
>>>
>>> How about NEVER dropping someone's house by without calling first?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

> Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas
>>
>> Jill

> Al the more reason TO drop by.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dimitri

Not THOSE pajamas! LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright >
> 5.250: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

> > My dad didn't permit listening to those programs on the big console
> > radio in our den, so I would often sneak, into the kitchen and listen
> > on a little Arvin radio kept on a shelf there. I loved the mysteries
> > and the dramas. Television took a lot of the magic out of radio. The
> > first thing I remember watching on television of any importance was
> > the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

> GAWD... I don't clearly recall what I remember first watching on TV. I
> think it might have been the TV weekly called "The Virginian".

The guy in that was pretty cute IIRC...was his name James Drury...???

It was
> either that or "My Little Margie".

c. 1980 when I was visiting friends out in LA Gale Storm (star of _MLM_) was
doing these alcohol abuse spots on TV, e.g. "I'm Gale Storm - and I'm an
alcoholic!". Cracked all us queens up...we'd get drunk and imitate her.

Anyways my first teevee memory is seeing the Lennon Sisters on Lawrence
Welk, this was around xmas 1955...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
> > Saerah Gray >
> > . 102: in
> > rec.food.cooking
> >
> >> "Edwin Pawlowski" > fnord
> >> :

> >> Oh yeah? well, we didn't even have a TV; my siblings and I had to read
> >> the TV listings and act out the programs from the descriptions.

> > Ohhh... did any of you become famous in movies, TV or the theatre?

> Her sister was nominated once for a Homie.

Years ago there was a series of LP records called something like _YOU Are
The STAR!_...they were spoken word recording of plays and such. The lead
role[s] were left "blank" and Y-O-U read the lead role out loud along with
the supplied script and so you were the "star". Some famous people supplied
the voices for the "supporting cast" roles, including Talullah Bankhead and
Bette Davis. Initially targeted to aspiring thespians, it was a party
gimmick that later became popular with *** guys...

[Man, I haven't remembered this for like 25 years...]

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:38:54 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to figure out what would prompt a child to say that the food
> >sucks.

> I'll bet it's a combination of poor patenting and a spoiled brat of a
> child. And the behavior will probably keep happening. Years ago I
> had family over and I made cioppino. There was bread with dipping
> oils and a beautiful salad. I don't remember what else I served other
> than spaghetti because I new the kids probably wouldn't be big on the
> cioppino.
>
> The spaghetti was made by a first generation born in the US Italian.
> They had a party the day before and she volunteered to make enough for
> my party also. It was about as good as it gets. One of the little
> girls said: "mommy I can't eat this because it's not good." I
> secretly overheard everyone else raving about what I wonderful meal
> Uncle Lou had prepared yet the little girl got away with insulting me
> because it didn't taste like Ragu.
>
> Fast forward a few years and little girl is now in her early teens and
> tells her dad she wouldn't sit on the tractor to mow the lawn and he
> was stupid for asking her to do so.
>
> Fast forward a few more years and little girl now drives a car daddy
> bought for her. She speaks very little to her mother unless she wants
> something. She'll speak to daddy because he's the bread winner. At
> family functions she'll speak to criticize, but that's about it.
>
> Strange as it is her brother is one of the coolest kids you could
> imagine. But she's been a rude beast since she was born.

Yep, I know a few adults like that...rude beyond belief.

A few years ago we somewht befriended a person who seemed "okay" but then as
time progressed she got really wierd - especially about food. Always
criticising, always the Big Critic...in fact c. 2001 or so I started a
thread about it here called something like "I'm SICK And TIRED Of Picky
Eaters"...after this folks totally shunned her. But she was too stupid to
realize that she was "done"...

Anyways she FINALLY disappeared for good - or so we thought. A coupla years
ago I go into 'our' bar and there she is, people are like "What hole did she
crawl out of!?". Nobody much talks to her but she's still a big pest as
always, she is desperate for attention I guess. She shows up for our bar
cookouts, one time she came up to me and said "This is really good, Greg!".
To which I replied, "Look, I can take the fact that you're stupid, ugly, and
mentally ill with no social skills - but on top of it you are also a mooch
and a user...last time you spoke to me years ago it was to criticise me
about serving 'deadly nightshades' [we had pasta with red sauce] and to
insult my friend about the wine he had brought back from a trip to Buenos
Aires. The next day you sent me a puerile email about the 'dangers' or
drinking Diet Coke...". She turned tail and left a bit later, but guess
what, she showed up for the next shebang, wondering all along I'm sure why
no one will talk to her...

This person is 63...a real poster child for bull dyke loser - dom. Lives at
home, never held a real job, is basically a parasite and serves NO useful
purpose in life, either productive - wise or person - wise. Sounds like
that's the route your "rude beast" above will be following (maybe not the
bulldyke part)...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> everyone eats with a raise pinky...don't they? You need to always keep one
> finger clean to clean out your ears...

Thanks for the giggle!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> That is a big no-no in my book! I don't want unexpected company.
> Unlike the genteel days of old when there were no telephones so people
> (read: gentlewomen) went "calling" in the afternoon, I won't have tea
> ready to serve. Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas
>
> Jill

And half way though a fifth of vodka.

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright >
> 5.250: in
> rec.food.cooking
>

>> Despite the fact that I grew up in a home with live-in help, I also
>> had my share of "chores" and responsibilities. There were
>> consequences if I didn't do the things I was supposed to do.

> I was a yard slave until I lost control of the mower and buzzed right
> through a bed of roses my mother prized more than her children. Then a
> lawn service was hired. I then became the pool slave. At 9 I was
> practically a chemist from testing the pool conditions. We all had blond
> hair and one summer all of our hair turned green. Mother said it was
> from too much chlorine. A pool man was then hired. We never had a
> gardener because my mother and I both loved putzing in the gardens
> ourselves. Marti was our housekeeper and lived in. She retired when I
> was about 17. Marti had been with my grandmother and she was my mother's
> nanny back then. Marti retired because the Schnauzer puked on my
> mother's silk bed sheets. Marti took them to the cleaners and a few days
> later picked them up and proceeded to make the bed. The dog came in and
> puked on the sheets again. Marti had had enough. Dealing with my mother
> as a child AND as an adult, us 4 boys growing up and all of our animals
> had done her in. A cleaning service was then hired and all of us
> youngun's had to do our own laundry, make our beds, clean our rooms etc.
> Laundry was a new experience for us. Marti had always made us make our
> own beds and clean our rooms anyway. Then there was the "farm" we had a
> few miles from home. It wasn't really a farm but it was 15 acres and had
> a small house and the barns where we kept our horses. I suppose the man
> who lived in the house and maintained the "farm" could be called live in
> help because he lived in the small house and maintained the property.
> Harvey was great and knew a helluva lot about horses and their behaviors.
> I learned more from him than I could have from just about anyone. When I
> got my drivers license it became my responsibility to tend to the feeding
> of the horses and mucking out the stalls. Harvey was pleased I loved
> messing in the barn anyway so it was no big deal. The "farm" is now a
> shopping mall. What a waste IMO.
>
> Michael

Our childhoods were so similar, it is almost scary.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > fnord
:

> Saerah Gray >
> . 102: in

>> Oh yeah? well, we didn't even have a TV; my siblings and I had to

read
>> the TV listings and act out the programs from the descriptions.

> Ohhh... did any of you become famous in movies, TV or the theatre?
>
> Michael

no

--
Saerah

"Welcome to Usenet, Biatch! Adapt or haul ass!"
- some hillbilly from FL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" wrote

>We would never insult someone's food offering, just saying, "No thank
>you," or accepting a small amount and trying it.

Forgive me here but a sort of group reply and not all to things you've said:

Same here, and with good friends I feel comfortable with the 'no thanks,
looks nice though!' sort of reply. I have a variety of dietary issues
(medical) to accomodate and my good friends know this.

They are aware for example that I need to balance my sugar intake so one day
my try some sort of dessert, but another day might well use my allotment of
'sugars' for a beer or some wine and skip all sweets. They are aware I have
almost no sweet tooth at all.

Just finished a picnic up in NY state in fact and my good friends got to see
this in action. No one was offended and as many of us are older with
special diet needs, we all seemed to have an item or 2 we had to pass on
(but we cleanly listed what to watch out for such as my Miso soup was not
low sodium and may have iodine from the seaweed, and others said 'has pork'
for those who do not eat pork). Dishes with a bit of alcohol were
cheerfully announced as several object to it in their own foods (some
medical, some religion) and suitably skipped by those who didnt want it.

In that particular setting, it would be the height or rudeness to expect
anyone to even 'taste test' something they didnt want or wasnt allowed. I
think the closest anyone came to that was a mild 'shucky darn, your 14YO
didnt try the lasagne but then she ate a meatball plate bigger than her head
and kept peeking about for more so here's the recipe I used since she loved
it so'.

Politeness can have more forms than this thread has shown, but in general, I
agree with almost everything folks have said here.

For the general set that was posted of 'rules' I pretty much match, but will
shift 'servants' to waitstaff in a restraunt. Mom would have KILLED us if
we were rude to one of them, even if the service was bad. It was HER job to
discuss that if needed at all and we kids were to keep quiet. (Definately
no servants in our house but that is my related version and I do recall Mom
had them as a kid and taught us vicariously the rules of 'right' there too).

The only one i tend to skip (I'm such a bad person!) is a written RSVP in
the mail to a mailed invite. This only happens with my sister who mails
them pretty regular and not with enough time to get a letter back (such as
when I was in Japan). I always emailed back right away and she's savvy
enough to add her email address to the invites so must not mind this. In
fact, most ask you to RSVP to her email address.

Oh on visitors just dropping by? Dosn't bother me at all. They take me as
they get me though. I will however *immediately* put out any cigarettes in
my own home unless I know for a fact they smoke. I will insist on
non-smoking tables as well in a restraunt if there are any non-smokers in
the group (and ask the restruant folks where the outside smoking area is if
not obvious).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 26 Aug 2008 03:58:06p, Janet Baraclough told us...

>> Wayne Boatwright >
>> 5.250: in
>> rec.food.cooking

>> > My dad didn't permit listening to those programs on the big console
>> > radio in our den, so I would often sneak, into the kitchen and listen
>> > on a little Arvin radio kept on a shelf there. I loved the mysteries
>> > and the dramas. Television took a lot of the magic out of radio. The
>> > first thing I remember watching on television of any importance was
>> > the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

> We got a TV so we could watch the coronation. The TV was a
> floor-standing solid bit of furniture but the screen was tiny, smaller
> than a laptop screen, (only black and white picture of course), and one
> channel. None of the neighbours had one so they all came to watch the
> coronation at our house, consequently I couldn't see much at all.
>
> Janet

We had not owned a TV prior to 1952 when I was 7 years old. I had very poor
eyesight at the time, and opthamologists were skeptical about viewing
television, fearing it would make it worse. Small screens were the norm at
that time, but larger screens were also emerging. My dad bought a 20" set
about a month before the 1952 Eisenhower election. I vaguely remember seeing
the election, but I was entranced with the Coronation in 1953. I think many
Americans were transfixed by it, since it had never really been seen in the
US before.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 08(VIII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
5dys 6hrs 53mins
It is more important that a
proposition be interesting than that
it be true. (Alfred North Whitehead)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Amen!
>>>
>>> How about NEVER dropping someone's house by without calling first?
>>>
>>> Dimitri

> Nor can I guarantee I won't be in my pajamas
>>
>> Jill

> Al the more reason TO drop by.
>
> ;-)
>
> Dimitri

Then stop at my house. I don't even own pajamas>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough > wrote:

> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:

>> You had channels?

> Wow. We only had one river.

Joan River?

Reason enough to not have a TV.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:31:17 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> TFM® > wrote:
>>
>>> I, like you, was born before the advent of the remote control. I was the
>>> remote control until I was 16 years old.

>> I was the Vertical Hold child until I was 18.

> did you emancipate yourself, or did they kick you out of the house?

I actually got a job and bought the house a new, Solid State
TV when I was 18. It had a 4-channel *sonic* remote (Channel/Volume
Up/Down). The remote worked from 200+ft away and through walls.

They don't make them like that anymore.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 03:20:35 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> I grew up in a rural area and *I* don't remember bad manners either.
>> The worst thing I remembered is that meals were served "family style",
>> which is something I still don't like. I don't want extra food on the
>> table when everyone is seated.

>What if you want more? What if your guests at table want more?

I don't have servants, it's on the buffet.... serve yourself.

Mae West

Gratuitous ill manners Giusi General Cooking 142 04-02-2012 01:10 AM
Manners Lamentation The Ranger[_7_] General Cooking 25 14-07-2009 04:03 AM
table manners Rescue General Cooking 39 01-03-2006 03:56 AM
Table manners kalanamak General Cooking 103 30-03-2005 04:53 AM
manners [email protected] Restaurants 3 08-04-2004 06:43 AM