FoodBanter.com

-   -   Why not refrigerate everything? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/159430-why-not-refrigerate-everything.html)

[email protected] 28-07-2008 03:19 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
the landlord but on the small side to say the least.

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.

But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
goods?

I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
get additional freezer space..... but also get
additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
think abt storing in a fridge.

What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?

Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
forget abt the extra fridge space?

sf[_3_] 28-07-2008 03:42 PM

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:19:15 -0500, wrote:

>I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
>get additional freezer space..... but also get
>additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
>cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
>think abt storing in a fridge.
>
>What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
>things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
>there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?

I think it depends on where you live. When my dad lived in Hawaii,
they routinely kept anything bugs might like to live in or eat in the
refrigerator or freezer.

>Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
>forget abt the extra fridge space?

Where do you plan to put this? Apartments aren't very spacious.

Mae West

Julia Altshuler 28-07-2008 04:12 PM

wrote:

> What you think about my idea? Do many out there put
> things in a fridge that don't normally go in
> there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?

Consider the packaging. There's no problem with freezing pasta if it's
in an airtight container. If it's in the box it normally comes in, the
freezer may impart smells. When the pasta defrosts, it will become
moist with condensation, and that will affect how it cooks.

If you're going to freeze something, make sure it stays frozen. Think
of running out of space, taking oatmeal out of the freezer, and having
it get moist from condensation before you can use it. Bad idea.

Also consider wasted energy costs. It costs a lot to keep all that
stuff cold. If I had the freezer anyway, and if the freezer were
keeping ice cream and ice cubes frozen anyway, and if I used flour only
infrequently, then it would make sense to put the flour in a heavy
plastic airtight bag and keep it in the freezer. But I wouldn't buy a
freezer and plug it in for that purpose. My energy bills would go up,
and for what purpose?

After a bug infestations a while ago, I do keep some infrequently used
grains in the freezer. I think there's some corn meal in there, some
wheat germ, brown rice, and beans.

--Lia

aem 28-07-2008 04:29 PM

On Jul 28, 7:19*am, wrote:
> Why not refrigerate everything?

Why would you want to?

> ......what
> would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
> goods? *

what would be right about it?

> What you think abt my idea?

I think you haven't said what the problem is with storing things in
the cupboard. Do you have bug infestations? Do you have phobias? Do
you think (wrongly in most cases) that food products meant for shelf
storage will last longer in the refrigerator?

Most apartment dwellers who cook for only one person don't find cold
storage space inadequate. What are the circumstances that make you
want more? -aem

Sheldon 28-07-2008 05:21 PM

wrote:
> Why not refrigerate everything?
>
> I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
> the landlord but on the small side to say the least.
>
> However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
> to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
> more foods in bulk. �I live alone.

If you live alone why do you need to stash so much food, are you
paranoid about running out of food, are there no stupidmarkets
nearby... it's always better to buy fresh and/or take advantage of the
store's fridges/freezers. And if your landlord is paying for your
electric you'll not be permitted to have an extra fridge or freezer,
and rightly so. And if you're paying for electric you won't be able
to save enough money buying sale items to cover the price of the
appliance and your additional electric bill. If you have extra cash
sitting around you'd be far wiser putting it into an interest bearing
savings account than to invest in foods for stockpiling, many of which
you'll never consume... trust me, simply because you have the space
you will fill it, mainly with larger quantites of perishables than you
can consume before they spoil.

Christopher M.[_2_] 28-07-2008 05:33 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

> wrote in message
> Why not refrigerate everything?
>
> I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
> the landlord but on the small side to say the least.
>
> However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
> to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
> more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
> freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.
>
> But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
> would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
> goods?

Not olive oil either. It solidifies when it's refrigerated.

There's certain things that can't be refrigerated, like some chocolate
coatings for ice cream.

And you probably don't want to refrigerate hard candies like M&Ms and taffy
or you can damage your teeth/fillings.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Mark Thorson 28-07-2008 06:15 PM

wrote:

> Why not refrigerate everything?

For some crazy reason, tomatoes lose flavor when
refrigerated.

Also, with all that stuff in the fridge, where
do you have room to store a body should the need
suddenly arise?

[email protected] 28-07-2008 06:35 PM

sf wrote:

>I think it depends on where you live. When my dad lived in Hawaii,
>they routinely kept anything bugs might like to live in or eat in the
>refrigerator or freezer.

Ha!

That was another reason why I was thinking abt a fridge
for everything..... BUGS!!

I have em too here!

[email protected] 28-07-2008 06:38 PM

aem > wrote:

>I think you haven't said what the problem is with storing things in
>the cupboard. Do you have bug infestations? Do you have phobias? Do
>you think (wrongly in most cases) that food products meant for shelf
>storage will last longer in the refrigerator?

All of the above

>Most apartment dwellers who cook for only one person don't find cold
>storage space inadequate. What are the circumstances that make you
>want more? -aem

Convenience. To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
to store once a month

Sheldon 28-07-2008 07:08 PM

wrote:

> To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
> to store once a month

Just because it works for you what makes you think all single guys
need more time alone to spend with their blow up doll.

[email protected] 28-07-2008 07:14 PM

Sheldon > wrote:

>Just because it works for you what makes you think all single guys
>need more time alone to spend with their blow up doll.

ha ha

u r foony!

[email protected] 28-07-2008 07:17 PM

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Also consider wasted energy costs. It costs a lot to keep all that
>stuff cold. If I had the freezer anyway, and if the freezer were
>keeping ice cream and ice cubes frozen anyway, and if I used flour only
>infrequently, then it would make sense to put the flour in a heavy
>plastic airtight bag and keep it in the freezer. But I wouldn't buy a
>freezer and plug it in for that purpose. My energy bills would go up,
>and for what purpose?

Well the question isn't whether to get something or NOT
get something...... as at the very least I WILL be
getting a small freezer

the question is... whether to get a stand alone freezer
or to get another fridge that will allow extra freezer
space as well as fridge space

Lynn from Fargo 28-07-2008 07:53 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

(snip)

However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.

(snip)
=================================

I think perhaps you mean "supplement" (to add to) not "supplant" (to
take the place of).

Besides, many fruits and vegetables may be damaged by refrigeration:
peaches, tomatoes, bananas. potatoes . . .

Lynn in Fargo

Julia Altshuler 28-07-2008 08:11 PM

wrote:

> Convenience. To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
> to store once a month

Ah, now I understand. Nope, it won't work. Things like cereals, flour,
granola bars, oatmeal, pasta, (not bread), last for months outside the
refrigerator/freezer anyway. Produce like apples, lettuce, parsley,
tomatoes, don't last in the refrigerator for months, and they're
unalterably changed and unusable in the freezer. You end up going to
the supermarket more often than once a month anyway. If you can stand
voluntarily never eating anything fresh (I can't) and want to eat frozen
vegetables, canned vegetables, powdered milk, I suppose it could work,
but I'd want a better reason to make such a sacrifice than just convenience.

--Lia

Gloria P 28-07-2008 08:18 PM

wrote:
> Why not refrigerate everything?

> What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
> things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
> there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?
>
> Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
> forget abt the extra fridge space?

Only you know how much space you need.

In my experience many things stay fresher under refrigeration, but some
don't. Bread and baked goods seem to get stale quicker in the refrigerator.

I keep most condiments in the refrigerator, even those that may not need
it, mainly so I can find them easily.

gloria p

Billy[_3_] 28-07-2008 09:10 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:53:12 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>Besides, many fruits and vegetables may be damaged by refrigeration:
>peaches, tomatoes, bananas. potatoes . . .

....and a storage cabinet doesn't require electricity.

MaryL 28-07-2008 11:46 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

> wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>
>>I think it depends on where you live. When my dad lived in Hawaii,
>>they routinely kept anything bugs might like to live in or eat in the
>>refrigerator or freezer.

> Ha!
>
> That was another reason why I was thinking abt a fridge
> for everything..... BUGS!!
>
> I have em too here!

I live in East Texas, and we get *lots* of bugs here. I had a problem with
weevils when I lived in an apartment. I followed all the instructions to
get rid of them -- threw away everything with grains or flour (even sealed
boxes), washed canned goods, etc. That helped, but then I opened a can of
spices one day...and there were weevils. Groan! The thing that helped me
completely eliminate the problem is just what you are suggesting. I started
to store everything like cereal in the refrigerator, and I kept flour in the
freezer. That solved the problem. (Of course, I don't eat any flour since
being diagnosed with diabetes, and that eliminated weevils and also freed up
space in the refrigerator. ;o) )

MaryL

Becca[_2_] 29-07-2008 01:20 AM

MaryL wrote:

> I live in East Texas, and we get *lots* of bugs here. I had a problem
> with weevils when I lived in an apartment. I followed all the
> instructions to get rid of them -- threw away everything with grains or
> flour (even sealed boxes), washed canned goods, etc. That helped, but
> then I opened a can of spices one day...and there were weevils. Groan!
> The thing that helped me completely eliminate the problem is just what
> you are suggesting. I started to store everything like cereal in the
> refrigerator, and I kept flour in the freezer. That solved the
> problem. (Of course, I don't eat any flour since being diagnosed with
> diabetes, and that eliminated weevils and also freed up space in the
> refrigerator. ;o) )
>
> MaryL

We are just across the border in Louisiana, and we have stayed bug-free,
so far. <knock wood> Sorry to hear about the diabetes.

How are you handling the heat? It was 105 today!

Becca

Blinky the Shark 29-07-2008 01:28 AM

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Also, with all that stuff in the fridge, where do you have room to store a
> body should the need suddenly arise?

I think that's the best argument that's been posted against refrigerating
everything in sight.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 29-07-2008 01:39 AM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon 28 Jul 2008 07:19:15a, told us...

> Why not refrigerate everything?
>
> I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
> the landlord but on the small side to say the least.
>
> However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
> to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
> more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
> freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.
>
> But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
> would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
> goods?
>
> I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
> get additional freezer space..... but also get
> additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
> cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
> think abt storing in a fridge.
>
> What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
> things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
> there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?
>
> Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
> forget abt the extra fridge space?

My personal preference is having a freezer in addition to the kitchen
refrigerator/freezer. I made sure that I got a freezer than can maintain
15-20° below 0, whereas most refrigerator freezers will only maintain 0°.
This gives you much longer storage time. Besides the usual frozen items;
e.g., meats, packaged frozen foods, ice cream, etc., I stock up on butter
and other items that store well frozen. With the exception of all-purpose
flour which does not contain the germ, I keep all flours, grains, cereals,
breads, etc., in the freezer. I also keep my larger quantities of spices
and herbs in well-sealed containers in the freezer. Frozen items for more
immediate use are kept in the fridge/freezer. I don't have a need for
expanded refrigerator space, however, I do have a rather large
refrigerator. There are only two of us in our household.

Before making a decision, it would be helpful to you to take an inventory
of what types of foods you normally would have on hand, or what you might
anticipate keeping, either frozen or refrigerated. My refrigerator only
contains things like milk, juices and other beverages, eggs, fresh produce,
condiments, and leftovers that I plan on using within a few days.

Cooking for one gives you the opportunity to cook larger quantities and
divide them into serving portions to be kept in the freezer. This allows
you to enjoy dishes that you might not otherwise make if you had large
portions of leftovers.

Hope this helps...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Monday, 07(VII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
The tuna doesn't taste the same
without the dolphin.

Mark Thorson 29-07-2008 01:46 AM

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> My personal preference is having a freezer in addition to the kitchen
> refrigerator/freezer. I made sure that I got a freezer than can maintain
> 15-20° below 0, whereas most refrigerator freezers will only maintain 0°.

Presumably, you mean degrees C, not F.

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 29-07-2008 02:13 AM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon 28 Jul 2008 05:46:58p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> My personal preference is having a freezer in addition to the kitchen
>> refrigerator/freezer. I made sure that I got a freezer than can

maintain
>> 15-20° below 0, whereas most refrigerator freezers will only maintain

0°.

> Presumably, you mean degrees C, not F.

No, I mean degrees F. Most home refrigerator freezers in the US are
designed to maintain 0 degrees F, although some will run as low as minus 5-
10 degrees F. Many, but not all, stand-alone home freezers are capable of
maintaining minus 15-20 degrees F. Few are capable of lower temperatures
than that. Some only maintain 0 degrees F. Almost any freezer capable of
maintaining lower than minus 20 degrees F would be a commercial freezer.
At least that's what I've found when shopping. I'd be interested in
knowing otherwise.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must push the VCR off the top of
the TV.

aem 29-07-2008 03:00 AM

On Jul 28, 10:38*am, wrote:
> aem > wrote:
> >I think you haven't said what the problem is with storing things in
> >the cupboard. *Do you have bug infestations? *Do you have phobias? *Do
> >you *think (wrongly in most cases) that food products meant for shelf
> >storage will last longer in the refrigerator?

> All of the above

If you mean that, buying a freezer won't help. It won't clean up your
bug infestations and it won't cure your phobias.

> >Most apartment dwellers who cook for only one person don't find cold
> >storage space inadequate. *What are the circumstances that make you
> >want more? * * -aem

> Convenience. To be able to REALLY stock up and only go
> to store once a month

In general, that's not a goal worth pursuing. Specifically as to
quality cooking and eating it's a counter-productive goal. -aem

cybercat 29-07-2008 04:01 AM

"aem" > wrote :

>In general, that's not a goal worth pursuing. Specifically as to
>quality cooking and eating it's a counter-productive goal.

My one-word response: texture.

Edwin Pawlowski 29-07-2008 04:08 AM

<sf> wrote in message

> Where do you plan to put this? Apartments aren't very spacious.

Talk about incorrect generalizations.

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 29-07-2008 04:12 AM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon 28 Jul 2008 08:08:58p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> <sf> wrote in message
>>
>> Where do you plan to put this? Apartments aren't very spacious.
>>

> Talk about incorrect generalizations.

Very true. When we first moved to AZ, the house we were having built at
the time was not finished and we knew it would be several months before it
would be, so had pre-arranged for an apartment to span the time frame. The
apartment was 4 bedrooms and approximately 2600 sq. ft., which was about
the same size of the house we were building.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/28(XXVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Purrinoia:fear that the cat is up to
something.

jmcquown[_2_] 29-07-2008 09:33 AM

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
> <sf> wrote in message
> >
> > Where do you plan to put this? Apartments aren't very spacious.
> >

> Talk about incorrect generalizations.

So true, Ed! I've lived in small, charming apartments and quite spacious
ones. I've attended parties in apartments that put the size of some houses
to shame.

Jill

MaryL 29-07-2008 02:57 PM

"Becca" > wrote in message
> MaryL wrote:
>
>> I live in East Texas, and we get *lots* of bugs here. I had a problem
>> with weevils when I lived in an apartment. I followed all the
>> instructions to get rid of them -- threw away everything with grains or
>> flour (even sealed boxes), washed canned goods, etc. That helped, but
>> then I opened a can of spices one day...and there were weevils. Groan!
>> The thing that helped me completely eliminate the problem is just what
>> you are suggesting. I started to store everything like cereal in the
>> refrigerator, and I kept flour in the freezer. That solved the problem.
>> (Of course, I don't eat any flour since being diagnosed with diabetes,
>> and that eliminated weevils and also freed up space in the refrigerator.
>> ;o) )
>>
>> MaryL

> We are just across the border in Louisiana, and we have stayed bug-free,
> so far. <knock wood> Sorry to hear about the diabetes.
>
> How are you handling the heat? It was 105 today!
>
> Becca

*Very* hot here, too...temps in the three-digit mark for the last few days.
Fortunately, it hasn't been as humid as it often is at this time of year.

MaryL

sf[_3_] 29-07-2008 04:01 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 23:08:58 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

><sf> wrote in message
>>
>> Where do you plan to put this? Apartments aren't very spacious.
>>

>Talk about incorrect generalizations.

OK, I should have said "most". However, just from your remark, the
apartments I think are spacious are most likely NOT the apartments you
think are spacious.

Mae West

sf[_3_] 29-07-2008 04:03 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:12:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>The
>apartment was 4 bedrooms and approximately 2600 sq. ft., which was about
>the same size of the house we were building.

4, no, but make that 2 bedrooms in 2600 sf and I'd say it was
spacious.

Mae West

blake murphy[_2_] 29-07-2008 05:09 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:19:15 -0500, wrote:

>Why not refrigerate everything?
>
>I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
>the landlord but on the small side to say the least.
>
>However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
>to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
>more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
>freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.
>
>But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
>would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
>goods?
>
>I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
>get additional freezer space..... but also get
>additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
>cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
>think abt storing in a fridge.
>
>What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
>things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
>there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?
>
>Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
>forget abt the extra fridge space?

i would check your lease before going ahead with this. even if you
pay for your own electricity, the landlord might not like the idea
multiple refrigerators, even if the wiring could handle it.

your pal,
blake

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 30-07-2008 02:02 AM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Tue 29 Jul 2008 08:03:20a, told us...

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:12:57 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>The
>>apartment was 4 bedrooms and approximately 2600 sq. ft., which was about
>>the same size of the house we were building.

> 4, no, but make that 2 bedrooms in 2600 sf and I'd say it was
> spacious.

Well, it felt spacious, especially for an apartment.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)

[email protected] 31-07-2008 04:49 AM

Julia Altshuler > wrote:

>Think
>of running out of space, taking oatmeal out of the freezer, and having
>it get moist from condensation before you can use it. Bad idea.

Ok but what abt refrigerating instead of freezing?

You see....with a second fridge I would have extra
fridge space as well as extra freezer space

[email protected] 31-07-2008 04:49 AM

Sheldon > wrote:

>If you live alone why do you need to stash so much food, are you
>paranoid about running out of food, are there no stupidmarkets
>nearby... it's always better to buy fresh and/or take advantage of the
>store's fridges/freezers. And if your landlord is paying for your
>electric you'll not be permitted to have an extra fridge or freezer,
>and rightly so. And if you're paying for electric you won't be able
>to save enough money buying sale items to cover the price of the
>appliance and your additional electric bill. If you have extra cash
>sitting around you'd be far wiser putting it into an interest bearing
>savings account than to invest in foods for stockpiling, many of which
>you'll never consume... trust me, simply because you have the space
>you will fill it, mainly with larger quantites of perishables than you
>can consume before they spoil.

I live in northern Missouri where winters are BAD!

there are times when it damn near impossible to get to
the store or a severe inconvenience in the least

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 31-07-2008 04:54 AM

Why not refrigerate everything?

On Wed 30 Jul 2008 08:49:26p, told us...

> Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>>Think
>>of running out of space, taking oatmeal out of the freezer, and having
>>it get moist from condensation before you can use it. Bad idea.

> Ok but what abt refrigerating instead of freezing?
>
> You see....with a second fridge I would have extra
> fridge space as well as extra freezer space

Only you can decide that, based on what your needs are. Either option is a
good one, and there are trade-offs with each.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 07(VII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Sheldon 31-07-2008 05:31 PM

wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >If you live alone why do you need to stash so much food, are you
> >paranoid about running out of food, are there no stupidmarkets
> >nearby... it's always better to buy fresh and/or take advantage of the
> >store's fridges/freezers. �And if your landlord is paying for your
> >electric you'll not be permitted to have an extra fridge or freezer,
> >and rightly so. �And if you're paying for electric you won't be able
> >to save enough money buying sale items to cover the price of the
> >appliance and your additional electric bill. �If you have extra cash
> >sitting around you'd be far wiser putting it into an interest bearing
> >savings account than to invest in foods for stockpiling, many of which
> >you'll never consume... trust me, simply because you have the space
> >you will fill it, mainly with larger quantites of perishables than you
> >can consume before they spoil.

> I live in northern Missouri where winters are BAD!

I live in northern NY where winters are bad, not north pole BAD! I
bet you never once had to hitch up a team of huskies so you get to a
store.

> there are times when it damn near impossible to get to
> the store or a severe inconvenience in the least

Even when I get two feet of snow within two days there has never been
a time I couldn't get to a store pretty much whenever I wanted... the
roads are plowed and salted/sanded continuously, as are the store
parking lots... my only deterent is the hour or so it takes to clear
my own driveway... I check the weather forecast and sometimes it pays
to wait 2-3 days for the same gal who dumped the snow to take it
away. Otherwise I give Mother Nature a push with my big plow.

I have two ordinary average sized refrigerator freezers, one in my
kitchen, the other in my basement. I've never yet needed all that
freezer space (it's not wise to jam stuff into a freezer anyway), I
make much more use of the extra fridge space... and even then it's
really just a minor convenience... I store some things in the basement
fridge because I don't like my kitchen fridge so squeezed in that it's
always a hassle to rearrange every time I need to get something out or
put something in. I keep a lot of canned/jarred items in the
basement fridge simply because I like them to be cold when I decide to
use them... I keep all my canned tuna, sardines and other canned fish
in the
fridge because it's usually a spur of the moment decision when to eat
those. Condiments maintain flavor and color longer refrigerated so I
keep those in the fridge as well. And of course any and all drinks
are always at the ready when kept cold, large bottles of liquid are
also an excellent cold sink, so operating costs are kept significantly
lower. And it's really dumb to fill a freezer with low mass foods,
like bread. If you find yourself with spare freezer space an
excellent high mass food is chocolate bars, and vodka.

I kinda know about when winter is nigh (don't you own a calender), so
then I stock up with a little extra cold weather fare provisions...
but no one in the US needs more than three months worth of any food,
most perishables no more than two weeks worth is all anyone needs...
any more then one definitley has a mental problem/phobia.

[email protected] 31-07-2008 07:37 PM

Sheldon > wrote:

>I have two ordinary average sized refrigerator freezers, one in my
>kitchen, the other in my basement.

Well I have thought abt TWO fridges vs one fridge and
one freezer

You have that and it works well for you it seems?

enigma[_2_] 01-08-2008 12:12 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

wrote in
:

> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>>I have two ordinary average sized refrigerator freezers,
>>one in my kitchen, the other in my basement.

> Well I have thought abt TWO fridges vs one fridge and
> one freezer
>
> You have that and it works well for you it seems?

i have 2 fridges (one has no freezer) & 2 freezers. Sheldon
lives alone & in an area that really doesn't get a lot of snow
at once (he's not in the 'lake effect' snow area of NY, in
fact he's on the other side of the mountains from that area).
and NY state is really good about keeping the roadways clear.
he doesn't hunt the little Bambis on his land & doesn't
freeze produce out of his hobby garden.
i have a large garden, & need room for harvested meat, as
well as the grass fed sides of beef & lambs, & pasture pork we
eat. i don't buy little overpackaged overpriced saline-pumped
supermarket meat.
i also have a root cellar & canning shelves. what you need
for storing food depends a lot on where you live & how you buy
or preserve your food.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Kswck 01-08-2008 08:53 PM

Why not refrigerate everything?

> wrote in message
> Why not refrigerate everything?
>
> I live in an apartment and the fridge is supplied by
> the landlord but on the small side to say the least.
>
> However, I've been thinking abt buying a small freezer
> to supplant the fridge and give me the ability to store
> more foods in bulk. I live alone so don't need a HUGE
> freezer..... maybe 7 cu foot.
>
> But I had what may be and even better idea.... what
> would be wrong with refrigerating EVRYTHING except can
> goods?
>
> I could buy another fridge with built in freezer and
> get additional freezer space..... but also get
> additional fridge space where I could store boxes of
> cereal, oatmeal, and other things you normally don't
> think abt storing in a fridge.
>
> What you think abt my idea? Do many out there put
> things in a fridge that doesn't normally go in
> there..... granola bars, cereals, breads?
>
> Or am I best to just buy a small freezer ONLY and
> forget abt the extra fridge space?

I am an apartment dweller. I put a 5 cu ft freezer in the kitchen. Best
thing I ever did. I buy in bulk now. Between the freezer and the FoodSaver,
it saves money and space.

Kswck 01-08-2008 09:06 PM

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> [...]

fridge because it's usually a spur of the moment decision when to eat
those. Condiments maintain flavor and color longer refrigerated so I
keep those in the fridge as well. And of course any and all drinks
are always at the ready when kept cold, large bottles of liquid are
also an excellent cold sink, so operating costs are kept significantly
lower. And it's really dumb to fill a freezer with low mass foods,
like bread. If you find yourself with spare freezer space an
excellent high mass food is chocolate bars, and vodka.

I kinda know about when winter is nigh (don't you own a calender), so
then I stock up with a little extra cold weather fare provisions...
but no one in the US needs more than three months worth of any food,
most perishables no more than two weeks worth is all anyone needs...
any more then one definitley has a mental problem/phobia.

I agree and disagree with you Sheldon. The OP sounds as though he is a
single guy-probably with his first apt in a city or a climate he is not
familiar with. He sounds like he is afraid of <driving in> the snow/ice.
For his purposes, another fridge or freezer is really not an option.

However, assuming he cooks for more than 1 or 2, the addition may be a good
option. It would allow him to buy in bulk or give him an opportunity to keep
ingredients while he cans stuff himself, or makes his own sausage.

My suspicion however, is that he does none of that. He's a kid that hasn't
gotten that far.