Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When is a patty melt not a patty melt?

> wrote in message
>
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>
> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg
>
> koko

I don't eat them (don't care for rye bread), but my mom loves them, and
ordered them plenty throughout my life...and they were always as you
described. That restaurant seems to be falling in line with so many of them
here that are serving sub-par food to save money. Sad.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>
> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.

http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg

> koko
> --
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 6/25

This was interesting to read. I have heard the term
patty melt, but I have never in 61 years seen, much
less eaten a patty melt. So I had no idea what it actually
was. I guess I sort of fantasized that it was some kind
of open-faced sandwich with something, probably cheese,
melted over it. Imagine my astonishment to find that
it is sort of a grilled cheese sandwich with a hamburger
in it. I never would have guessed. Ya learn something
new every day. And if it's made on rye bread I'm
glad I never ordered one as I hate rye bread. Now I
know, and if I ever get the urge to order one I'm make
sure to ask them to substitute real bread for the rye. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:46:16 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:47:19p, Zeppo told us...

>>> I probably haven't ordered one in 30 years but at the
>>> time I'd expect a hambuger with swiss chees melted on rye.
>>> Whether the rye is grilled, or just toasted, I'm not sure --
>>> the whole thing would be greasy enough you couldn't tell.
>>>

>> I always though of it as a 'Texas Rueben'.
>>
>> Jon

>Except that a Reuben in any form generally has sauerkraut on it. No?

i've seen them with slaw (no, not labeled as a rachel), but then you
know they're not serious about the whole thing.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>
> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.
> http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg
>
> koko
> --
> There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
> George Bernard Shaw
> www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 6/25

Burger patty.
grilled onions
Swiss cheese
Rye bread
All grilled.

Who owns the place Koreans?

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Last weekend we went to one of our popular local independently owned
> San Diego East County restaurants. I ordered a patty melt, I have not
> had one in a long time and I was looking forward to having one.
> To the best of my knowledge and my many, I mean many, years of
> experience eating patty melts, I've always gotten, and have come to
> expect a ground beef patty, of varying degrees of quality and fat
> content, topped with a slice of Swiss cheese and grilled onion. It is
> then placed between two slices of rye bread, again of varying degrees
> of quality, and grilled until a toasty brown and adequately greasy.
>
> You can imagine my disappointment when anticipating a nice hot,
> greasy, cheesy, onion-y patty melt I was served a ground beef patty
> between two slices of Kraft American cheese slices, yes, the kind that
> you can buy individually wrapped, (you know, the stuff you buy to wrap
> the dog's pills in to get him to take them) on marbled un-toasted
> bread, that's it.
> I wish now I would have gotten a picture of it but I sent it back
> because I knew the waitress picked up the wrong order. I was informed
> that, that is a patty melt.
> A substandard cheeseburger does not a patty melt make.
> This is only part of the story.
>
> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?
>
> We went down the road and I had a Cholula burger and a nice tall cold
> beer.

http://i31.tinypic.com/6xt7i1.jpg

Nothing at all actually. Back when I ate beef, had always assumed they
were an ordinary cheeseburger in any case so never bothered. The 'real
thing' does sound good and might make some with a pork burger in place
of the beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

>> So, what do you expect when you order a patty melt?

> Nothing at all actually. Back when I ate beef, had always assumed they
> were an ordinary cheeseburger in any case so never bothered. The 'real
> thing' does sound good and might make some with a pork burger in place
> of the beef.

So given that it has a different name (and that "cheeseburger" probably
appeared on the same menu), why would you assume that a patty melt was a
cheeseburger? Not a dig; I'm just curious about that bit of reasoning.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
>> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
>> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
>but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
>American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to me
>in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

Did I *say* American cheese belongs on a patty melt? Huh? Did I? No, I
was just replying to reference about Kraft American cheese and pointed
out that there are two types of Kraft American cheese, one of which
isn't. Anyone who puts anything but Swiss cheese on a patty melt
should be summarily shot, disemboweled, defenestrated and sent to
their room! <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...who always wanted to use the word
"defenestrate" in a sentence.

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 27 Jun 2008 07:45:56p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:35:08 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses to
> opine:
>
>>On Thu 26 Jun 2008 08:19:50p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...

>>> Actually, Kraft makes two types of American cheese. One is "cheese
>>> food" (whateverinhell that is) and the other says "processed American
>>> cheese." One is a chemistry experiment, the other is not, AFAICS.
>>>
>>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>>The Kraft American Cheese that is in *not* individually wrapped slices,
>>but is packaged in somewhat thicker slices is usually the "processed
>>American cheese". Nice cheese for what it is. Still not acceptable to

me
>>in a patty melt. That *requires* Swiss cheese.

> Did I *say* American cheese belongs on a patty melt? Huh? Did I? No, I
> was just replying to reference about Kraft American cheese and pointed
> out that there are two types of Kraft American cheese, one of which
> isn't. Anyone who puts anything but Swiss cheese on a patty melt
> should be summarily shot, disemboweled, defenestrated and sent to
> their room! <g>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd...who always wanted to use the word
> "defenestrate" in a sentence.
> --

I doubt after going through all that they could make to their room
unassisted. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Anyone who puts anything but Swiss cheese on a patty melt
> should be summarily shot, disemboweled, defenestrated and sent to
> their room! <g>

Shot, gutted, pitched out the window and then the whole mess brought
back in. Why? ;-)

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Just reading this thread made me want a patty melt! We were in SF last
night and went to Max's Opera Cafe on Van Ness Ave, and ordered
one....it was delicious. The meat, onions and cheese were perfect as
was the grilled rye bread. I'm glad I got that out of my system for
awhile.
Not only was the food good, the wait people sing with the
pianist....what a delightful place to go after the movie.
Cheers!
Ellie
Can't believe the 4th is next week!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 9:48*am, wrote:
> Just reading this thread made me want a patty melt! * We were in SF last
> night and went to Max's Opera Cafe on Van Ness Ave, and ordered
> one....it was delicious. * The meat, onions and cheese were perfect as
> was the grilled rye bread. * I'm glad I got that out of my system for
> awhile.
> Not only was the food good, the wait people sing with the
> pianist....what a delightful place to go after the movie.

That Max's is the best of the Max's for singing waitstaff. Must be
because it's so close to the Opera House.

Choosing between the Patty Melt, the Reuben, or the chicken liver,
corned beef and pastrami is hard.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:17:57 -0700 (PDT), Karen >
wrote:

>On Jun 29, 9:48*am, wrote:
>> Just reading this thread made me want a patty melt! * We were in SF last
>> night and went to Max's Opera Cafe on Van Ness Ave, and ordered
>> one....it was delicious. * The meat, onions and cheese were perfect as
>> was the grilled rye bread. * I'm glad I got that out of my system for
>> awhile.
>> Not only was the food good, the wait people sing with the
>> pianist....what a delightful place to go after the movie.

>That Max's is the best of the Max's for singing waitstaff. Must be
>because it's so close to the Opera House.
>
>Choosing between the Patty Melt, the Reuben, or the chicken liver,
>corned beef and pastrami is hard.

Max's has too much to choose from! Don't you love their matzo ball
soup?

I live in the city of SF and have two Max's to choose from here, but
being at the South end of town - we end up going to the Burlingame
location more often than not. It's easier to hop on the freeway and
go South than maneuver city streets (parking is a bitch) and the
time's about the same if not better.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 27, 8:54�pm, Leonard Blaisdell said:

> Shot, gutted, pitched out the window and then the whole
> mess brought back in. Why? ;-)

I'd throw in a hefty fine and community service.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm going to make baked chicken wings tonight for dinner. I just dredge
them in flour with whatever seasoning I decide to use (montreal steak spice
tonight) and toss them on a pan at 375 and flip after 20 minutes. That's
how I do my fried chicken leg quarters too.

--
mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
m...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Fri 27 Jun 2008 07:48:22p, Terry Pulliam Burd told us...
>>
>> > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 05:24:06 +0000 (UTC),
>> > (Steve Pope) fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>> > When I order Buffalo wings in a restaurant new to me, I always ask if
>> > they're breaded. If they're breaded, I keep perusing the menu. Breaded
>> > buffalo wings - bleccchhh!!
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>> I've eaten some very good breaded deep-fried wings, but I don't consider
>> them Buffalo wings. It's just a mindset. :-)

> There is a "trendy" Korean place in my Chicago nabe that specializes in
> fried chicken, IIRC the reviews I've read say the wings are breaded and
> they
> are *huge*...besides being tasty. I'm going to try them out...
>
> Apparently the Korean fried chicken is an LA/West Coast thing...this place
> is called "Crisp".
>

> --
> Best
> Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 1:06*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> Max's has too much to choose from! *Don't you love their matzo ball
> soup?

I do! I got the soup last time as they had 1/2 sandwich and soup lunch
deal going on.

Karen