Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon Grass

Hi,
Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We garden
and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use it for cooking
( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for currys etc ) . It
seems very very tough - any help and advise would be appreciated.Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

just us wrote:
> Hi,
> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
> be appreciated.Thanks

Hi

I can't help with your query but I just wanted to say welcome

Ophelia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

just us wrote:
> Hi,
> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
> be appreciated.Thanks

I use it with coconut milk and remove it before serving. I grow it, too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:25 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>just us wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
>> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
>> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
>> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
>> be appreciated.Thanks

>I use it with coconut milk and remove it before serving. I grow it, too.

I've never cooked with it, but I think I remember seeing a tv cook
take a hammer or mallet to it. Is that what you do?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:25 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> just us wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
>>> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
>>> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
>>> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
>>> be appreciated.Thanks

>> I use it with coconut milk and remove it before serving. I grow it,
>> too.
>>

> I've never cooked with it, but I think I remember seeing a tv cook
> take a hammer or mallet to it. Is that what you do?

I just toss it in with whatever I'm simmering. I use it like a bay leaf.
Does that make sense?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:
> "just us" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
>> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
>> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
>> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
>> be appreciated.Thanks

> The bottom portions of the stalk are used for flavoring curries and
> other dishes, mostly in Thai and Indonesian cooking.. Often the
> bottom is crushed and the whole thing used in the sauce, but not
> eaten. (Like a bay leaf. <G>)

Ah, there we go. :~) Thank you, Janet!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in
:

> Madhur Jaffrey's Far Eastern Cookery (The "If you only have one" book.
> This is out of print, but if you can get a used copy, do. It has great
> recipes from all over the region, AND an *illustrated*
> mini-encylopedia of ingredients in the back that enables even a
> complete neophyte to buy things at Asian stores where little English
> is spoken.)

Thanks for this, Janet. ABE books has several copies, available from
sellers in the USA and the UK.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote in
:

> "just us" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Hi,
>> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We
>> garden and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use
>> it for cooking ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for
>> currys etc ) . It seems very very tough - any help and advise would
>> be appreciated.Thanks

> Use it as a flavor enhancer. I don't think I've actually eaten it as
> is. I have infused it with oil to use in wok cooking and I've used it
> to flavor stock but the grass part is removed prior to cooking.
>
> Michael

Bruising the lemon grass with blows from the back of a largish knife
helps to release the flavour, peeling off the outer dried out layers is
also very important.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:44:59 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:25 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>>> I use it with coconut milk and remove it before serving. I grow it,
>>> too.
>>>

>> I've never cooked with it, but I think I remember seeing a tv cook
>> take a hammer or mallet to it. Is that what you do?

>I just toss it in with whatever I'm simmering. I use it like a bay leaf.
>Does that make sense?

Meaning you take it out before serving. So you don't bruise it in any
way? Are you using particularly young shoots?

I should try growing some, how much cold can they take? How much
water do they need? Remember, this area doesn't get much (any) summer
rain.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:44:59 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:06:25 -0400, "kilikini"

>>> I've never cooked with it, but I think I remember seeing a tv cook
>>> take a hammer or mallet to it. Is that what you do?

>> I just toss it in with whatever I'm simmering. I use it like a bay
>> leaf. Does that make sense?
>>

> Meaning you take it out before serving. So you don't bruise it in any
> way? Are you using particularly young shoots?
>
> I should try growing some, how much cold can they take? How much
> water do they need? Remember, this area doesn't get much (any) summer
> rain.

Well, it does like water and mine is in a planted in a pot, so I'm not sure
how it would differ from being in the ground. But, no, I don't bruise it
before I use it in a dish. I treat it exactly as I would a bay leaf. Toss
a few blades in and remove before serving.

Not too long ago, my husband came home with a bag of live mussels. I was
racking my brain as to what to do with them and then I realized, tada! I
had coconut milk and lemongrass. Done deal.

Here's a picture of the lemongrass with onions, garlic and butter simmering
in a pot:
http://i31.tinypic.com/9jodch.jpg

The coconut milk added:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2val36w.jpg

The final dish (yes I didn't remove the lemongrass, but it's easily picked
out):
http://i31.tinypic.com/2bwv92.jpg

Afterwards I still had mussels and broth left over so I made a chowder out
of it sans lemongrass:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2vwy4d2.jpg

It was all yummy! :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark P. Nelson wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in
> :
>

> > Madhur Jaffrey's Far Eastern Cookery (The "If you only have one" book.
> > This is out of print, but if you can get a used copy, do. It has great
> > recipes from all over the region, AND an *illustrated*
> > mini-encylopedia of ingredients in the back that enables even a
> > complete neophyte to buy things at Asian stores where little English
> > is spoken.)
> >

> Thanks for this, Janet. ABE books has several copies, available from
> sellers in the USA and the UK.

Yep, it's a *great* book, it was my first Asian cookbook and is still my
main reference, especially for ingredient information...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

just us wrote:
> Hi,
> Am new to this group so I hope I am not going over an old topic. We garden
> and have lemon grass growing. I am not really sure how to use it for cooking
> ( have in the past bought pre crushed lemon grass for currys etc ) . It
> seems very very tough - any help and advise would be appreciated.Thanks

I took a curry-cooking class and the instructor told us to bruise the
lemongrass stalk by whacking it with the back of the knife, then put it
into the curry dish, to be removed before serving. That's the way I've
done it since, and it seems to be working well.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 12:19:56 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Toss a few blades in and remove before serving.

Aha... you use the leaves. This was the reed that was banged. So Jun
uses leaves not stems?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I finally Googled images of lemon grass.... I've only seen it
"prepared" like this
http://www.wingleehong.co.uk/product...lemongrass.jpg
But I found what it looks like actually growing - it *does* look like
grass! http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/lemon_grass.jpg
so you just give it a haircut and julienne the leaves?

I definitely am going to get some now... I'll grow it in a pot too.
How much sun does yours get? I'm on the foggy side of town.

Googling for information, I see that people just buy lemon grass in
chinatown and root it. No need to go to a nursery.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I finally Googled images of lemon grass.... I've only seen it
> "prepared" like this
> http://www.wingleehong.co.uk/product...lemongrass.jpg
> But I found what it looks like actually growing - it *does* look like
> grass! http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/lemon_grass.jpg
> so you just give it a haircut and julienne the leaves?
>
> I definitely am going to get some now... I'll grow it in a pot too.
> How much sun does yours get? I'm on the foggy side of town.

That sounds like an old song. "The Foggy Side Of Town". Either a
tear-jerker (being on the foggy side of town as a metaphor for having
suffered the loss of a lover) or something about being rejected
because you're from the wrong side of the tracks.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:25:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark

>> I finally Googled images of lemon grass.... I've only seen it
>> "prepared" like this
>> http://www.wingleehong.co.uk/product...lemongrass.jpg
>> But I found what it looks like actually growing - it *does* look like
>> grass! http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/lemon_grass.jpg
>> so you just give it a haircut and julienne the leaves?
>>
>> I definitely am going to get some now... I'll grow it in a pot too.
>> How much sun does yours get? I'm on the foggy side of town.

>That sounds like an old song. "The Foggy Side Of Town". Either a
>tear-jerker (being on the foggy side of town as a metaphor for having
>suffered the loss of a lover) or something about being rejected
>because you're from the wrong side of the tracks.

Now you know why I <sniffle> so much!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:25:34 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I finally Googled images of lemon grass.... I've only seen it
>>> "prepared" like this
>>> http://www.wingleehong.co.uk/product...lemongrass.jpg
>>> But I found what it looks like actually growing - it *does* look like
>>> grass! http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/lemon_grass.jpg
>>> so you just give it a haircut and julienne the leaves?
>>>
>>> I definitely am going to get some now... I'll grow it in a pot too.
>>> How much sun does yours get? I'm on the foggy side of town.

>>That sounds like an old song. "The Foggy Side Of Town". Either a
>>tear-jerker (being on the foggy side of town as a metaphor for having
>>suffered the loss of a lover) or something about being rejected
>>because you're from the wrong side of the tracks.

> Now you know why I <sniffle> so much!

So it's not allergies.

<hands you a hanky>

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?
Need a new feed?
http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:36:17 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>>
>> Now you know why I <sniffle> so much!

>So it's not allergies.
>
><hands you a hanky>

Thanks,
blowing nose <HONK>

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I finally Googled images of lemon grass.... I've only seen it
> "prepared" like this
> http://www.wingleehong.co.uk/product...lemongrass.jpg
> But I found what it looks like actually growing - it *does* look like
> grass! http://www.phoenixtropicals.com/lemon_grass.jpg
> so you just give it a haircut and julienne the leaves?

That's what I do! Give it a haircut; good description.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:36:17 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Now you know why I <sniffle> so much!

>>So it's not allergies.
>>
>><hands you a hanky>

> Thanks,
> blowing nose <HONK>

<taking a small snot hit on my shoulder>

Jeez!