kalanamak

Default lemon grass vs powder

John Doe wrote:

> I've blanched and frozen some lemon grass for use this winter. Has anyone
> tried this?
>
> When using the powdered lemon grass, how much to use when the recipe calls
> for 1 stalk fresh lemon grass?

I've never blanched, but I did chop the working end of the lemon grass and
freeze it in single portions. I have never had a recipe call for "1 fresh
stalk of lemon grass". My books ask for 1 teas pounded fresh. Since you only
use the tender bottom end (unless you are making tea of the dried stalks) in
curries, I'd slice off the tender meat at the bottom, cut into 1/8th inch
slices and measure out about a tablespoon, double wrap and freeze. It was easy
to take out one and pound it in a mortar and pestle.
Give us a recipe, and I'll tell you the amount.
blacksalt

John Doe

I don't have anything specific in mind, just wondered what other people did
when fresh lemon grass wasn't available.

1 tsp fresh must be close to 1 tsp dried.

But some people say that dried isn't the same as fresh. Others will say,
"Taste it."

If you're not experienced in Asian cooking, it helps to have reference
points, but thats just me.

The cookbook I got has tasty pictures, but I suspect it is based on English
immigrants whose cultures have compromised ingredients.

My first attempt will be Malaysian Chili Crab, except my version will be
crab cakes, since there are no fresh crabs here in Kansas and if there were
they would be too expensive to experiment with. Suggestions on the crab
cakes are welcomed.

maf

"kalanamak" > wrote in message

> John Doe wrote:
>
> > I've blanched and frozen some lemon grass for use this winter. Has

anyone
> > tried this?
> >
> > When using the powdered lemon grass, how much to use when the recipe

calls
> > for 1 stalk fresh lemon grass?
> >

> I've never blanched, but I did chop the working end of the lemon grass and
> freeze it in single portions. I have never had a recipe call for "1 fresh
> stalk of lemon grass". My books ask for 1 teas pounded fresh. Since you

only
> use the tender bottom end (unless you are making tea of the dried stalks)

in
> curries, I'd slice off the tender meat at the bottom, cut into 1/8th inch
> slices and measure out about a tablespoon, double wrap and freeze. It was

easy
> to take out one and pound it in a mortar and pestle.
> Give us a recipe, and I'll tell you the amount.
> blacksalt

Frogleg

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 22:15:35 -0600, "John Doe" >
wrote:

>I don't have anything specific in mind, just wondered what other people did
>when fresh lemon grass wasn't available.

Lemon grass *does* have a distinctly citrus-y/lemony flavor, so either
lemon juice or some grated peel, depending on application, might be
used. In some dishes, relatively large chunks are cooked in a dish for
flavoring, but, like a cinnamon stick, not eaten. Except for the inner
part of the bottom 3-4", lemon grass is tough and fibrous. Even the
bottoms are diced and/or pounded to pulverize if they are meant to be
eaten.

>1 tsp fresh must be close to 1 tsp dried.

With most herbs, flavor is concentrated in the dried version and
proportions run approx 1 dried measure to 2-3 fresh.

>But some people say that dried isn't the same as fresh. Others will say,
>"Taste it."

Good advice.

kalanamak

John Doe wrote:

> I don't have anything specific in mind, just wondered what other people did
> when fresh lemon grass wasn't available.

Lemon juice in a pinch, with a speck of lime peel.
blacksalt

Warren C. Liebold

"Frogleg" > wrote
> Lemon grass *does* have a distinctly citrus-y/lemony flavor, so either
> lemon juice or some grated peel, depending on application, might be
> used. In some dishes, relatively large chunks are cooked in a dish for
> flavoring, but, like a cinnamon stick, not eaten. Except for the inner
> part of the bottom 3-4", lemon grass is tough and fibrous. Even the
> bottoms are diced and/or pounded to pulverize if they are meant to be
> eaten.
> >
> >1 tsp fresh must be close to 1 tsp dried.

> With most herbs, flavor is concentrated in the dried version and
> proportions run approx 1 dried measure to 2-3 fresh.
> >
> >But some people say that dried isn't the same as fresh. Others will say,
> >"Taste it."

> Good advice.

I agree with Frogleg and would go a step further and say that lemongrass in
a jar isn't so bad at all, especially if you can't get fresh with ease.
Using actual lemon juice is not the best alternative, IMHO. Lemons are too
tart. Lemongrass gets you the lemon/citrus taste w/o the acidity and
tartness.

Warren, who finds it easier to obtain fresh lemongrass in his part of NYC
than to find dried...

James Silverton

"Warren C. Liebold" > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Frogleg" > wrote
> > Lemon grass *does* have a distinctly citrus-y/lemony flavor, so either
> > lemon juice or some grated peel, depending on application, might be
> > used. In some dishes, relatively large chunks are cooked in a dish for
> > flavoring, but, like a cinnamon stick, not eaten. Except for the inner
> > part of the bottom 3-4", lemon grass is tough and fibrous. Even the
> > bottoms are diced and/or pounded to pulverize if they are meant to be
> > eaten.
> > >
> > >1 tsp fresh must be close to 1 tsp dried.

> > With most herbs, flavor is concentrated in the dried version and
> > proportions run approx 1 dried measure to 2-3 fresh.
> > >
> > >But some people say that dried isn't the same as fresh. Others will

say,
> > >"Taste it."

> > Good advice.

> I agree with Frogleg and would go a step further and say that lemongrass

in
> a jar isn't so bad at all, especially if you can't get fresh with ease.
> Using actual lemon juice is not the best alternative, IMHO. Lemons are too
> tart. Lemongrass gets you the lemon/citrus taste w/o the acidity and
> tartness.
>
> Warren, who finds it easier to obtain fresh lemongrass in his part of NYC
> than to find dried...

For someone who only cooks Thai food occasionally, there are two problems
with lemon grass, IMHO. Fresh lemon grass certainly seems best but one
usually has to buy it in excessively large quantities. Dried lemon grass is
probably the most practical alternative but, like most dried spices, it
loses its savor and many stores are not particularly conscientious about
moving old stock.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Frogleg

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:04:34 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>"Warren C. Liebold" > wrote

>>lemongrass in
>> a jar isn't so bad at all, especially if you can't get fresh with ease.
>> Using actual lemon juice is not the best alternative, IMHO. Lemons are too
>> tart. Lemongrass gets you the lemon/citrus taste w/o the acidity and
>> tartness.
>>
>> Warren, who finds it easier to obtain fresh lemongrass in his part of NYC
>> than to find dried...
>>

>For someone who only cooks Thai food occasionally, there are two problems
>with lemon grass, IMHO. Fresh lemon grass certainly seems best but one
>usually has to buy it in excessively large quantities. Dried lemon grass is
>probably the most practical alternative but, like most dried spices, it
>loses its savor and many stores are not particularly conscientious about
>moving old stock.

I (in SE Virginia) can buy a single stalk of lemon grass in a
Korean/Thai market. I usually root and plant 2 or 3 of these, rather
than using immediately. Given plenty of water and a warm summer, they
will multiply quite nicely. Not cold-hardy, so I bring the pot in over
the winter, digging and dividing as the fancy takes me.

Hint: if the bottoms are trimmed closely (of roots), and even a little
dryish, shave a thin layer and put 'em in a glass of water. 2 out of 3
will generate grateful roots, in my experience. Of course, I'm
speaking of those sold as 'fresh', not totally dried stalks.

James Silverton

"BubbaBob" > wrote in message
1...
> "James Silverton" > wrote:
>

> > For someone who only cooks Thai food occasionally, there are two
> > problems with lemon grass, IMHO. Fresh lemon grass certainly
> > seems best but one usually has to buy it in excessively large
> > quantities. Dried lemon grass is probably the most practical
> > alternative but, like most dried spices, it loses its savor and
> > many stores are not particularly conscientious about moving old
> > stock.
> >

> Lately I've been finding jars of frozen chopped lemon grass at the
> local 99 store. It's every bit as good as fresh.

Interesting! I must look out for it.

Thanks also "Frogleg" (!). I have not seen single stalks of lemon grass
locally but you are right that some Asian markets have it. I must look for
it.

Jim.

Lawrence

James Silverton wrote:

> "BubbaBob" > wrote in message
> 1...
> > "James Silverton" > wrote:
> >

> > > For someone who only cooks Thai food occasionally, there are two
> > > problems with lemon grass, IMHO. Fresh lemon grass certainly
> > > seems best but one usually has to buy it in excessively large
> > > quantities. Dried lemon grass is probably the most practical
> > > alternative but, like most dried spices, it loses its savor and
> > > many stores are not particularly conscientious about moving old
> > > stock.
> > >

> > Lately I've been finding jars of frozen chopped lemon grass at the
> > local 99 store. It's every bit as good as fresh.

> Interesting! I must look out for it.
>
> Thanks also "Frogleg" (!). I have not seen single stalks of lemon grass
> locally but you are right that some Asian markets have it. I must look for
> it.
>
> Jim.

Just so you know when looking, it looks more like grass than a lemon...

James Silverton

"Lawrence" > wrote in message

> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > "BubbaBob" > wrote in message
> > 1...

> > > Lately I've been finding jars of frozen chopped lemon grass at the
> > > local 99 store. It's every bit as good as fresh.

> > Interesting! I must look out for it.
> >
> > Thanks also "Frogleg" (!). I have not seen single stalks of lemon grass
> > locally but you are right that some Asian markets have it. I must look

for
> > it.
> >
> > Jim.

> Just so you know when looking, it looks more like grass than a lemon...

Thanks for the advice! I just came across a bottle of powdered lemon grass
with a "sell by" date in the last century!

Jim.

John Doe

When I was in my teens I used to speak in an aged voice and refer to events
in "ought 3" for a laugh. Now I'm living in ought 3 and its not nearly as
funny!

maf

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> "Lawrence" > wrote in message
> >

> > James Silverton wrote:
> >
> > > "BubbaBob" > wrote in message
> > > 1...

> > > Interesting! I must look out for it.
> > >
> > > Thanks also "Frogleg" (!). I have not seen single stalks of lemon

grass
> > > locally but you are right that some Asian markets have it. I must look

> for
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Jim.

> > Just so you know when looking, it looks more like grass than a lemon...
> >

> Thanks for the advice! I just came across a bottle of powdered lemon grass
> with a "sell by" date in the last century!
>
> Jim.

Thai BBQ Pork with Lemon Grass International Recipes OnLine[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-01-2009 08:39 PM
Something New with Lemon Grass Myrl Jeffcoat General Cooking 18 04-08-2008 06:48 PM
Lemon Grass just us General Cooking 22 22-06-2008 10:19 PM
Wheat Grass Powder Marshall Lake Vegetarian cooking 2 19-03-2005 11:04 AM
Shelf life of lemon grass Adam Schwartz General Cooking 5 10-12-2003 09:01 PM