Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Default Not For The Faint of Heart: Eggnog Cheesecake

As requested, herein lies my eggnog cheesecake recipe. It's adapted from
one by Dorie Greenspan, but I prefer this gingersnap crust to the usual
graham cracker, particularly when paired with the flavors of eggnog.
Apologies for the posting delay; much ado around here of late.

Spitz

--

"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

The crust:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs, (about 2 1/2 c cookies), plus extra for
coating the sides of the cheesecake
dash of salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Combine flour, gingersnap crumbs and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and
mix until an even, crumbly texture. Press crust into a lightly greased
9-inch springform pan, pressing up the sides a bit (you may have more crust
mixture than you need; use up or save back). Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow
to cool.
The filling:

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 tablespoon brandy
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
3 large eggs, at room temperature

Beat the cream cheese and sugar together in a mixer (preferably one fitted
with a paddle attachment) until very smooth. Add the rum, brandy, vanilla
extract and nutmeg and beat to blend. Reduce the speed to low and add the
eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until they're just blended.
Spoon the filling into the crust and bake until the filling is puffed, very
light brown and softly set in the center, about 45 minutes. Transfer the
cheesecake to a rack and cool 30 minutes, during which time the center may
fall slightly.

Increase the oven temperature to 400 F.

The topping:

1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Cinnamon sticks

In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar and extract to blend. Pour the
mixture gently over the cheesecake, filling the center depression, and
spread evenly to the edges. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Transfer the
cheesecake to a rack to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Cut around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then release the pan
sides. Sift ground cinnamon and nutmeg lightly over the cake and arrange a
cluster of short cinnamon sticks in the center of the cake before serving.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Spitzmaus wrote:
> As requested, herein lies my eggnog cheesecake recipe. It's adapted from
> one by Dorie Greenspan, but I prefer this gingersnap crust to the usual
> graham cracker, particularly when paired with the flavors of eggnog.
> Apologies for the posting delay; much ado around here of late.
>

> Spitz
>
> --
>
> "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"
>
> ************************************************** *
>

> The crust:
>

> 1 cup all purpose flour
> 1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs, (about 2 1/2 c cookies), plus extra for
> coating the sides of the cheesecake
> dash of salt
> 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
>

> Preheat oven to 350 F.
> Combine flour, gingersnap crumbs and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and
> mix until an even, crumbly texture. Press crust into a lightly greased
> 9-inch springform pan, pressing up the sides a bit (you may have more crust
> mixture than you need; use up or save back). Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow
> to cool.
> The filling:
>

> 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
>
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 2 tablespoons dark rum
> 1 tablespoon brandy
> 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
> 3 large eggs, at room temperature
>
> Beat the cream cheese and sugar together in a mixer (preferably one fitted
> with a paddle attachment) until very smooth. Add the rum, brandy, vanilla
> extract and nutmeg and beat to blend. Reduce the speed to low and add the
> eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until they're just blended.
> Spoon the filling into the crust and bake until the filling is puffed, very
> light brown and softly set in the center, about 45 minutes. Transfer the
> cheesecake to a rack and cool 30 minutes, during which time the center may
> fall slightly.
>
> Increase the oven temperature to 400 F.
>
> The topping:
>

> 1 1/2 cups sour cream
> 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
> 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
> Cinnamon sticks
>
> In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar and extract to blend. Pour the
> mixture gently over the cheesecake, filling the center depression, and
> spread evenly to the edges. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Transfer the
> cheesecake to a rack to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
>
> Cut around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then release the pan
> sides. Sift ground cinnamon and nutmeg lightly over the cake and arrange a
> cluster of short cinnamon sticks in the center of the cake before serving.

I thank you, my arteries thank you, my mother will thank you.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 02:15:02 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>Spitzmaus wrote:
>> As requested, herein lies my eggnog cheesecake recipe. It's adapted from
>> one by Dorie Greenspan, but I prefer this gingersnap crust to the usual
>> graham cracker, particularly when paired with the flavors of eggnog.
>> Apologies for the posting delay; much ado around here of late.
>>

>> Spitz
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"
>>
>> ************************************************** *
>>

>> The crust:
>>

>> 1 cup all purpose flour
>> 1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs, (about 2 1/2 c cookies), plus extra for
>> coating the sides of the cheesecake
>> dash of salt
>> 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
>>

>> Preheat oven to 350 F.
>> Combine flour, gingersnap crumbs and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and
>> mix until an even, crumbly texture. Press crust into a lightly greased
>> 9-inch springform pan, pressing up the sides a bit (you may have more crust
>> mixture than you need; use up or save back). Bake for 12-15 minutes. Allow
>> to cool.
>> The filling:
>>

>> 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
>>
>> 3/4 cup sugar
>> 2 tablespoons dark rum
>> 1 tablespoon brandy
>> 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
>> 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
>> 3 large eggs, at room temperature
>>
>> Beat the cream cheese and sugar together in a mixer (preferably one fitted
>> with a paddle attachment) until very smooth. Add the rum, brandy, vanilla
>> extract and nutmeg and beat to blend. Reduce the speed to low and add the
>> eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until they're just blended.
>> Spoon the filling into the crust and bake until the filling is puffed, very
>> light brown and softly set in the center, about 45 minutes. Transfer the
>> cheesecake to a rack and cool 30 minutes, during which time the center may
>> fall slightly.
>>
>> Increase the oven temperature to 400 F.
>>
>> The topping:
>>

>> 1 1/2 cups sour cream
>> 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
>> 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
>> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
>> 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
>> Cinnamon sticks
>>
>> In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream, sugar and extract to blend. Pour the
>> mixture gently over the cheesecake, filling the center depression, and
>> spread evenly to the edges. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Transfer the
>> cheesecake to a rack to cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
>>
>> Cut around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then release the pan
>> sides. Sift ground cinnamon and nutmeg lightly over the cake and arrange a
>> cluster of short cinnamon sticks in the center of the cake before serving.
>>

>I thank you, my arteries thank you, my mother will thank you.

Yeah.. what he said!
Chuck (in SC)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Spitzmaus" > wrote in message
> As requested, herein lies my eggnog cheesecake recipe.
> It's adapted from
> one by Dorie Greenspan, but I prefer this gingersnap crust
> to the usual
> graham cracker, particularly when paired with the flavors
> of eggnog.
> Apologies for the posting delay; much ado around here of
> late.
>

> Spitz
>
> --
>
> "Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

> The crust:

Snip

This looks delicious. Thanks!

MoM