Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredding Devices?

"Nina" > wrote >>The best bet is a good set of
knives, learn how to use them and keep them
>>sharp. I had one of those cheap Japanese mandolins and it was handy for
>>some things. For Christmas last year my wife bought be a better <?>
>>mandolin. I accepted it graciously, wondering what the heck I needed it
>>for. I tried it a few times. By the time I get it out of the cupboard and
>>assembled I could usually be finished the job with a knife. Then it has
>>to be disassembled, cleaned and put away.

> The only exception for me is really big jobs. For a large volume, a
> mandoline is terrific. I have to say, though, that I cut my finger
> very badly a long time ago with one of these, and so they still
> terrify me.

See, I just don't WANT to prep food for that many people.
If it's too big a job for my knives and cutting board to handle
gracefully, it's too big a job for me to want to do.

I do want a deli-style meat slicer, but that is because I want
uniformly thinly sliced meats for sandwiches, not so much a
volume thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nina wrote:

> >The best bet is a good set of knives, learn how to use them and keep them
> >sharp. I had one of those cheap Japanese mandolins and it was handy for
> >some things. For Christmas last year my wife bought be a better <?>
> >mandolin. I accepted it graciously, wondering what the heck I needed it
> >for. I tried it a few times. By the time I get it out of the cupboard and
> >assembled I could usually be finished the job with a knife. Then it has
> >to be disassembled, cleaned and put away.

> The only exception for me is really big jobs. For a large volume, a
> mandoline is terrific. I have to say, though, that I cut my finger
> very badly a long time ago with one of these, and so they still
> terrify me.

If I have l lot to do, sometimes it is easier to use the food processor with
the appropriate attachment. That's what I use for marmalade. If I have a
small amount of cheese to grate I use the hand grater ....in more ways that
one :-) .... but if there is a lot to do the FP sure comes in handy. It is
worth the extra work to get it out, clean it and put it away again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Nina wrote:
>
> > >The best bet is a good set of knives, learn how to use them and keep them
> > >sharp. I had one of those cheap Japanese mandolins and it was handy for
> > >some things. For Christmas last year my wife bought be a better <?>
> > >mandolin. I accepted it graciously, wondering what the heck I needed it
> > >for. I tried it a few times. By the time I get it out of the cupboard and
> > >assembled I could usually be finished the job with a knife. Then it has
> > >to be disassembled, cleaned and put away.

> > The only exception for me is really big jobs. For a large volume, a
> > mandoline is terrific. I have to say, though, that I cut my finger
> > very badly a long time ago with one of these, and so they still
> > terrify me.

> If I have l lot to do, sometimes it is easier to use the food processor with
> the appropriate attachment. That's what I use for marmalade. If I have a
> small amount of cheese to grate I use the hand grater ....in more ways that
> one :-) .... but if there is a lot to do the FP sure comes in handy. It is
> worth the extra work to get it out, clean it and put it away again.

When I worked in a seafood restaurant, we used to make cole slaw,
macaroni salad, and potato salad from scratch. I used to take a food
processor with a shredder blade and shred green peppers and carrots that
way, but I did the cabbage by hand with a large knife.

At home, I just use a knife still for shredding cabbage, but for other
vegies such as carrots, potatoes, etc. I use a cheap mandolin I bought
for $20 somewhere several years ago.

Shredding carrots fer carrot cake notbob General Cooking 16 28-03-2016 07:19 AM
1970's Cuisinart Shredding Blade The Ranger[_2_] Cooking Equipment 4 05-02-2010 09:37 PM
006 GPS Devices 00624 Morales Diabetic 0 16-07-2008 10:27 PM
tips on shredding soft cheeses? or buying it shredded? [email protected] General Cooking 2 17-11-2005 03:25 AM
What to use for shredding the meat? Lewzephyr Barbecue 13 08-06-2004 05:10 PM