Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cucumber salad recipe for Andy

Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
Sunday.

Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook.
Fortunately, the recipe's very easy and I am pretty sure I remember it.
If you want the official recipe, you can buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook
on amazon.com. I just checked and it is in stock.

Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
shaking the bag vigorously.

Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
how it looks after you add in everything else.

Let this sit in your refrigerator over night so the flavors have time to
blend and the cucumbers get slightly pickled. I also give the bag a
rigorous shaking two or three times at least an hour apart, in order to
make sure all the sweetener and vinegar get evenly distributed.

I made a big batch of this salad for my sister's engagement party a few
years ago. It turned out fantastic and every bit of it was eaten. I also
received lots of compliments on it.

There's also a health salad recipe in the same cookbook, which is really
the same as the cucumber salad recipe, except you substitute one head of
shredded cabbage. It is very good and I also made a big bowl of that for
my sister's engagement party and it was a big hit. The 2nd Avenue Deli
serves this health salad free at their deli, which is located in
Manhattan on 33rd Street just west of 3rd Avenue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:

<snippety>

> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

A question Stan. I thought kirby cukes were pretty small? I don't see them
often 'round here but we do get plenty regular and English cukes too. I
think I might try the English, because the skins are not as tough...

> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> shaking the bag vigorously.
>
> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> how it looks after you add in everything else.

Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
sort of 'personal preference'?

<more snippety>

Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:12:13 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Don't use English Cucumbers. The vinegar makes the thin slices mushy if
> there is left over salad.
>
> After slicing the cukes, most people let them rest until they release
> some of the liquid, which can be drained or even squeezed out by hand.
>
> As for the sweeteners, I use a pinch of sugar(about 1/4 teaspoon or
> less) for four large cucumbers and just enough white vinegar to cover
> the sliced vegetables. If that is too acidy, a little water may be
> added.
>
> I do not use carrots, but do use onions or scallions, as well as salt,
> if needed and freshly ground black pepper.
>
> This is the Viennese way to make Gurkensalat.

Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
> Sunday.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook.
> Fortunately, the recipe's very easy and I am pretty sure I remember it.
> If you want the official recipe, you can buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook
> on amazon.com. I just checked and it is in stock.
>
> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.
>
> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> shaking the bag vigorously.
>
> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> how it looks after you add in everything else.
>
> Let this sit in your refrigerator over night so the flavors have time to
> blend and the cucumbers get slightly pickled. I also give the bag a
> rigorous shaking two or three times at least an hour apart, in order to
> make sure all the sweetener and vinegar get evenly distributed.
>
> I made a big batch of this salad for my sister's engagement party a few
> years ago. It turned out fantastic and every bit of it was eaten. I also
> received lots of compliments on it.

You never ate at the 2nd Ave Deli (at least not while sober), you made
that up...

"Cucumber Salad" - 2nd Ave. Deli cook book - Pg 12.

(needs to marinate over night, so plan ahead)

2 1/2 straight, long, cucumbers.

4 paper thin slices cut from the center of a lage onion (separate into
rings, cut into thin strips).

1/2 cup white vinegar.

1/4 cup sugar.

2 Tbls finely chopped fresh dill.

1/2 tsp salt.

1/8 tsp white pepper.

Peel cukes by removing alternating strips. Slice cukes 1/16" thk.
In a bowl incorporate all other ingredients. In large bowl pour over
cukes and toss well. Cover and let marinate in fridge over night.
---

I took liberties by shortening the procedure but ingredients are
transcribed exact. There is nothing new about this recipe, I've been
making this longer than the 2nd Ave. Deli has existed (1954)... I
learned this from my grandmother who learned from her grandmother...
it works better if all the cuke skin is removed and the cukes are
striated with the tines of a fork before slicing... any kind of cukes
will work so long as they're young, before seeds develop. Serve well
drained, topped with a big dollop of sour cream.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
> Sunday.

Stan,

Thanks for remembering. BTW folks, at the RTM (acronym) Stan's cup of
cucumber salad had some red bell pepper in it, mine was plainer!

They didn't have carrot in their version either! Did the 2nd Avenue Deli
have red bell pepper?

I'm going to have to have a word or a few with those cute Amish girls next
time. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, hopefully. Just the facts,
girls! Are you married?

I should probably also swing by Chocolate by Mueller and put in a few good
words for myself to the "could be my granddaughters" babes. Ask for some
recipes and that kinda stuff!

> Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook.
> Fortunately, the recipe's very easy and I am pretty sure I remember it.
> If you want the official recipe, you can buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook
> on amazon.com. I just checked and it is in stock.
>
> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.
>
> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> shaking the bag vigorously.

> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> how it looks after you add in everything else.
>
> Let this sit in your refrigerator over night so the flavors have time to
> blend and the cucumbers get slightly pickled. I also give the bag a
> rigorous shaking two or three times at least an hour apart, in order to
> make sure all the sweetener and vinegar get evenly distributed.
>
> I made a big batch of this salad for my sister's engagement party a few
> years ago. It turned out fantastic and every bit of it was eaten. I also
> received lots of compliments on it.
>
> There's also a health salad recipe in the same cookbook, which is really
> the same as the cucumber salad recipe, except you substitute one head of
> shredded cabbage. It is very good and I also made a big bowl of that for
> my sister's engagement party and it was a big hit. The 2nd Avenue Deli
> serves this health salad free at their deli, which is located in
> Manhattan on 33rd Street just west of 3rd Avenue.

Stan, a Jack of all trades!

Like my boss used to tell me, "Andy, you do good work. Not much of it but
you do good work!" I told him once I was going on break and he said "you
got a break when you got the job, get back to work."

Keep my day job! I know!

I'm looking forward to making your recipe. I also have Margaret's recipe
which was delicious, too!

I've never been to the 2nd Ave. Deli, either locations. Did the recipe
change from the old to the new place? Just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the recipe and the photographs!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400:

> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock
> bag and mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are
> evenly distributed. The original recipe says to add in half a
> teaspoon of white pepper, but I don't like that stuff (it has
> no flavor), so I use a bit of regular ground pepper instead.
>\

That looks well worth trying. In defense of white pepper, I
might suggest that you try it freshly bought. I does lose its
flavor fairly quickly. I suppose you could also try grinding
your own.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> [...]

> 2 Tbls finely chopped fresh dill.
>
> 1/2 tsp salt.
>
> 1/8 tsp white pepper.
>
> Peel cukes by removing alternating strips. Slice cukes 1/16" thk.
> In a bowl incorporate all other ingredients. In large bowl pour over
> cukes and toss well. Cover and let marinate in fridge over night.
> ---
>
> I took liberties by shortening the procedure but ingredients are
> transcribed exact. There is nothing new about this recipe, I've been
> making this longer than the 2nd Ave. Deli has existed (1954)... I
> learned this from my grandmother who learned from her grandmother...
> it works better if all the cuke skin is removed and the cukes are
> striated with the tines of a fork before slicing... any kind of cukes
> will work so long as they're young, before seeds develop. Serve well
> drained, topped with a big dollop of sour cream.

Thanks,
I'll be making this tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" said...

> The cucumber salad that I've made from the 2nd Ave. Deli Cookbook recipe
> is excellent. Sheldon just posted it a bit ago. If you need a copy of it
> just email me. I'll make a copy for you and email it or fax it to you.
>
> Michael

Michael,

Thanks. I have to honor Stan's version first. My people will call your
people.

I'd buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook but I can guess a lot of the recipes are
probably no longer on my diet agenda, dammit!!! I'll see if the town
library has a copy.

Best,

Andy
T2
HBP
Gout
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:21�am, "Woolstitcher" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> >> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
> >> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
> >> Sunday.

> >> Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook.
> >> Fortunately, the recipe's very easy and I am pretty sure I remember it.
> >> If you want the official recipe, you can buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook
> >> on amazon.com. I just checked and it is in stock.

> >> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> >> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> >> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> >> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

> >> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> >> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> >> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> >> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> >> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> >> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> >> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> >> shaking the bag vigorously.

> >> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> >> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> >> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> >> how it looks after you add in everything else.

> >> Let this sit in your refrigerator over night so the flavors have time to
> >> blend and the cucumbers get slightly pickled. I also give the bag a
> >> rigorous shaking two or three times at least an hour apart, in order to
> >> make sure all the sweetener and vinegar get evenly distributed.

> >> I made a big batch of this salad for my sister's engagement party a few
> >> years ago. It turned out fantastic and every bit of it was eaten. I also
> >> received lots of compliments on it.

> > You never ate at the 2nd Ave Deli (at least not while sober), you made
> > that up...

> > "Cucumber Salad" - 2nd Ave. Deli cook book - Pg 12.

> > (needs to marinate over night, so plan ahead)

> > 2 1/2 straight, long, cucumbers.

> > 4 paper thin slices cut from the center of a lage onion (separate into
> > rings, cut into thin strips).

> > 1/2 cup white vinegar.

> > 1/4 cup sugar.

> > 2 Tbls finely chopped fresh dill.

> > 1/2 tsp salt.

> > 1/8 tsp white pepper.

> > Peel cukes by removing alternating strips. �Slice cukes 1/16" thk.
> > In a bowl incorporate all other ingredients. �In large bowl pour over
> > cukes and toss well. �Cover and let marinate in fridge over night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:
> �Stan �wrote:
>
> > The original recipe says to add in half a
> > teaspoon of white pepper, but I don't like that stuff (it has
> > no flavor), so I use a bit of regular ground pepper instead.

> In defense of white pepper, I
> might suggest that you try it �freshly bought. I does lose its
> flavor fairly quickly. I suppose you could also try grinding
> your own.

Grind your own! You'll know what/who's in it... preground spices are
guaranteed to contain ground mouse turds, cockroaches, and other
assorted nasties... in fact you should pick over your peppercorns
carefully before just dumping them into your pepper mill. White
pepper is actually more flavorful than black pepper but in a different
way, white is more pungent. White pepper is used exclusively in
Chinese restaurant food, they don't use black pepper at all. Black
pepper in cucumber salad would look like dirt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote in message
[snip]
> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer
> regular cukes though). Slice them as thin as you can.
> Slice a small or medium size onion and shred one
> carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

[snip]
> Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white vinegar.

[snip]

Kirby? Aren't those the knobby, squat things recommended for
pickling? Do Persian cukes not stand up or is their flavor too
delicate for the 4 cups of vinegar?

Can you adjust the amount of vinegar or does that muck with the
overall product?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
> Sunday.

<recipe snipped>

Made something similar last night. a few quick points.

1. Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin easily
availavel for slicing like this. It really makes quick work of the process.

2. I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. Which do you all
prefer?

3 Do you peal or score the cukes?

4. when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
marinating?

Thanks

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:30:23 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
>'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
>sort of 'personal preference'?

I would say "to taste". For me, it would be a balance of sweet and
sour so neither one stood out.

My Swedish grandmother's sweet & sour cucumber recipe called for equal
amounts of sugar, vinegar and water.... she used one cup of each.
Place sugar and water in a saucepan, heat until the sugar has melted,
take off the heat and add vinegar. When the mixture has cooled,
combine with sliced cucumbers and onions. Refrigerate until serving
time - at least one hour.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" schrieb :
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.

> Don't use English Cucumbers. The vinegar makes the thin slices mushy if there
> is left over salad.
>
> After slicing the cukes, most people let them rest until they release some of
> the liquid, which can be drained or even squeezed out by hand.
>
> As for the sweeteners, I use a pinch of sugar(about 1/4 teaspoon or less) for
> four large cucumbers and just enough white vinegar to cover the sliced
> vegetables. If that is too acidy, a little water may be added.
>
> I do not use carrots, but do use onions or scallions, as well as salt, if
> needed and freshly ground black pepper.
>
> This is the Viennese way to make Gurkensalat.

Other Austrian ways :

Cucumber salad
(serves 4)

Marinade :
2 tbl spoons wine vinegar
1 tbl spoon water
2 tbl spoons oil
1/2 tea spoon sugar
salt

2 cucumbers, peeled and finely sliced
salt
1/2 a clove of garlic, pressed
powdered paprika

Mix cucumber slices with salt and garlic.
Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
Drain water.
Mix with marinade, sprinkle with powdered paprika and serve.

Cucumber salad with cream
(serves 4)
2 cucumbers, peeled and finely sliced
salt
1/2 a clove of garlic, pressed
1/8 litre sour cream
white pepper
dill, finely chopped

Mix sour cream with pepper and dill.
Mix cucumber slices with salt and garlic.
Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
Drain water.
Add the sour cream mix.
Serve.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

> ChattyCathy, Another Senior Moment: I did not mention that the cucumbers
> must be peeled and sliced as thinly as possible. I assumed that nobody
> would not peel them. Years ago, cucumbers were not cultivated as they are
> now and had little fuzzy growths on their skins, almost like tiny thorns
> or spines or prickles and had to be peeled for salads.

Hi Margaret! I don't peel cucumbers if they're unwaxed. Or if I'm feeling
ritzy, I'll peel alternating strips on them.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 08:29:02 -0700:

> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in
> message ...
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

>> ChattyCathy, Another Senior Moment: I did not mention that
>> the
>> cucumbers must be peeled and sliced as thinly as possible. I
>> assumed that nobody would not peel them. Years ago,
>> cucumbers were not cultivated as they are now and had little
>> fuzzy growths on their skins, almost like tiny thorns or
>> spines or prickles and had to be peeled for salads.
>>

> Hi Margaret! I don't peel cucumbers if they're unwaxed. Or if
> I'm feeling ritzy, I'll peel alternating strips on them.

I don't know whether it's an urban legend but it is said that
cucumbers are more digestible if the skins are left on. In any
case, I like the texture of the skin and am willing to scrub
cucumbers to remove wax. I admit that there are recipes for
cooked cucumbers, raitas and sadziki etc. that use peeled
cucumber.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 12:43*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 20 May 2008 08:29:02 -0700, TammyM wrote:

> >> "Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> Hi Margaret! *I don't peel cucumbers if they're unwaxed. Or if I'm
> >> feeling
> >> ritzy, I'll peel alternating strips on them.

> > Ladies,

> > The 'common cukes' I buy here are not waxed.. So, if I 'score' the skin
> > with a fork, like my Mama taught me, will that work?

> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> > Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

> Sure it will work
>
> *IMHO scoring the skin (leaving it on) adds texture and a slight bitter
> flavor.
>
> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

Yup, too bitter for me. And for Margaret, I believe, those little
whiskery bumps are on a variety of gherkins, if I recall correctly, a
different variety than the cucumbers we see in stores. I've used
gherkins mostly for pickles, not slicing for salads.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 20 May 2008 04:12:13a, Margaret Suran told us...

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>> <snippety>
>>> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
>>> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
>>> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
>>> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

>> A question Stan. I thought kirby cukes were pretty small? I don't see

them
>> often 'round here but we do get plenty regular and English cukes too. I
>> think I might try the English, because the skins are not as tough...
>>
>>> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
>>> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
>>> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
>>> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
>>> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
>>> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
>>> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
>>> shaking the bag vigorously.
>>>
>>> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
>>> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
>>> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just

see
>>> how it looks after you add in everything else.

>> Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
>> 'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is

that
>> sort of 'personal preference'?
>>
>> <more snippety>
>>
>> Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.

> Don't use English Cucumbers. The vinegar makes the thin slices mushy if
> there is left over salad.
>
> After slicing the cukes, most people let them rest until they release
> some of the liquid, which can be drained or even squeezed out by hand.
>
> As for the sweeteners, I use a pinch of sugar(about 1/4 teaspoon or
> less) for four large cucumbers and just enough white vinegar to cover
> the sliced vegetables. If that is too acidy, a little water may be

added.

> I do not use carrots, but do use onions or scallions, as well as salt,
> if needed and freshly ground black pepper.
>
> This is the Viennese way to make Gurkensalat.

And one of the best, Margaret. I learned to make that from a highschool
classmate's mother. She was born and raised in Austria.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 20 May 2008 02:16:58p, Nancy2 told us...

> On May 20, 12:43*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:

assumed

>> > Ladies,

>> > The 'common cukes' I buy here are not waxed.. So, if I 'score' the

skin
>> > with a fork, like my Mama taught me, will that work?

>> > --
>> > Cheers
>> > Chatty Cathy

>> > Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

>> Sure it will work
>>
>> *IMHO scoring the skin (leaving it on) adds texture and a slight bitter
>> flavor.
>>
>> Dimitri- Hide quoted text -

> Yup, too bitter for me. And for Margaret, I believe, those little
> whiskery bumps are on a variety of gherkins, if I recall correctly, a
> different variety than the cucumbers we see in stores. I've used
> gherkins mostly for pickles, not slicing for salads.
>
> N.

Yup, Kirbys and gherkins are for pickling, not salad. And, as Margaret
said, the English cukes are not good for this dish, but are wonderful
sliced fresh alone or in tossed salads.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
5dys 6hrs 10mins
A fool and his money are my two
favourite people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:02:30 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
>> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
>> Sunday.

><recipe snipped>
>
>Made something similar last night. a few quick points.
>
>1. Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin easily
>availavel for slicing like this. It really makes quick work of the process.
>
>2. I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. Which do you all
>prefer?
>
>3 Do you peal or score the cukes?
>
>4. when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
>marinating?
>
>Thanks
>
>Dimitri

i haven't made the 2nd ave. recipe, but i most often use rice vinegar
with cukes. this is the one i make most frequently:

japanese cucumber salad (adapted from 'japanese cooking,' by peter
and joan martin)

1 cucumber

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1 tbl sugar

1 tbl soy sauce

1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (msg)

* * * * *

mix together all but cucumber.

wash cucumber but do not peel. slice as thinly as possible. on a
plate, arrange the slices in layers, not overlapping, and salt each
layer lightly. let stand for 30 minutes. squeeze cucumbers pretty
hard to remove the accumulated moisture. place cukes in bowl, pour
dressing over and refrigerate.

these taste better the next day. i don't see why they wouldn't last
at least a week.

the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
much for me. recipe can be doubled or (maybe) tripled. they're tasty
little suckers.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 10:57�am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:02:30 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> >> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
> >> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
> >> Sunday.

> ><recipe snipped>

> >Made something similar last night. � a few quick points.

> >1. � �Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin easily
> >availavel for slicing like this. �It really makes quick work of the process.

> >2. � �I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. �Which do you all
> >prefer?

> >3 � � Do you peal or score the cukes?

> >4. � �when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
> >marinating?

> >Thanks

> >Dimitri

> i haven't made the 2nd ave. recipe, but i most often use rice vinegar
> with cukes. �this is the one i make most frequently:
>
> japanese cucumber salad �(adapted from 'japanese cooking,' by peter
> and joan martin)
>
> 1 cucumber
>
> 1/4 cup rice vinegar
>
> 1 tbl sugar
>
> 1 tbl soy sauce
>
> 1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (msg)
>
> � � � � * * * * *
>
> mix together all but cucumber.
>
> wash cucumber but do not peel. �slice as thinly as possible. �on a
> plate, arrange the slices in layers, not overlapping, and salt each
> layer lightly. �let stand for 30 minutes. �squeeze cucumbers pretty
> hard to remove the accumulated moisture. �place cukes in bowl, pour
> dressing over and refrigerate.
>
> these taste better the next day. �i don't see why they wouldn't last
> at least a week.
>
> the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
> much for me. �

Maybe should have called for a few drops of toasted sesame seed oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message

<Very good Japanese recipe snipped>

> the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
> much for me. �

Maybe should have called for a few drops of toasted sesame seed oil.

Hmmm I'll try it and let you know. Nice Idea!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 21 May 2008 07:57:49a, blake murphy told us...

> On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:02:30 -0700, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
>>> Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
>>> mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market
>>> last Sunday.

>><recipe snipped>
>>
>>Made something similar last night. a few quick points.
>>
>>1. Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin
>>easily availavel for slicing like this. It really makes quick work of
>>the process.
>>
>>2. I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. Which do you
>>all prefer?
>>
>>3 Do you peal or score the cukes?
>>
>>4. when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
>>marinating?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Dimitri

> i haven't made the 2nd ave. recipe, but i most often use rice vinegar
> with cukes. this is the one i make most frequently:
>
> japanese cucumber salad (adapted from 'japanese cooking,' by peter
> and joan martin)
>
> 1 cucumber
>
> 1/4 cup rice vinegar
>
> 1 tbl sugar
>
> 1 tbl soy sauce
>
> 1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (msg)
>
> * * * * *
>
> mix together all but cucumber.
>
> wash cucumber but do not peel. slice as thinly as possible. on a
> plate, arrange the slices in layers, not overlapping, and salt each
> layer lightly. let stand for 30 minutes. squeeze cucumbers pretty
> hard to remove the accumulated moisture. place cukes in bowl, pour
> dressing over and refrigerate.
>
> these taste better the next day. i don't see why they wouldn't last
> at least a week.
>
> the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
> much for me. recipe can be doubled or (maybe) tripled. they're tasty
> little suckers.
>

> your pal,
> blake

I make a very similar dish using the same procedure, Blake, but I can never
resist adding a bit of onion, usually scallions. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 05(V)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Duh'Wayne BoatBang wrote:
> Blake MickMuffy Creamed:
>
> > your rectum,
> > blake

> I make a very similar dish using the same procedure, Blake, but I
> can never resist your buggery.

I bet!

Um. I always wondered, if yoose *** blades don't find a tryst with a
butt of the female persuasion equally appealing.. like butt is butt...
like would yooose lust after the CyberTush... this is a serious
enquiry. I always wondered how yoose fruities prefer hairy glutes to
voluptuious mammary cleavage... I guess yoose imagine that boy cheeks
have nipples. I think yoose Ladies Miss out, but what do I know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Stan, a Jack of all trades!
>
> Like my boss used to tell me, "Andy, you do good work. Not much of it but
> you do good work!" I told him once I was going on break and he said "you
> got a break when you got the job, get back to work."
>
> Keep my day job! I know!
>
> I'm looking forward to making your recipe. I also have Margaret's recipe
> which was delicious, too!
>
> I've never been to the 2nd Ave. Deli, either locations. Did the recipe
> change from the old to the new place? Just out of curiosity.

All the recipes are the same as far as I know. What changed is that the
new location is extremely cramped, whereas the 2nd Ave. Deli's previous
location was reasonably spacious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> Cucumber salad is a much better accompaniment to smoked fish than to
> typical deli meats... I've no idea why it's sold at the 2nd Ave Deli,
> other than it being a good profit maker. It goes very well with
> smoked whitefish and smoked sable, goes naturally with lox and
> pickeled herring of all sorts. This cucumber salad is typically
> served at kosher dairy restaurants, usually as a complimentary
> condiment the same as meat delis serve free sour pickles. At home it
> was the standard side for tuna/salmon salad. When my garden has a
> glut of cukes I make a very similar concoction only I make a small
> dice of young peeled cukes and add dark red kidney beans, and replace
> part of the vinegar with fresh squeezed lemon juice... the diced cukes
> and beans lends itself better to eating with a spoon, so I can shovel
> it in. Another favorite is to add diced beets... I call it Barb's
> Bliss... superb with a sardine on buttered pumpernickle sandwich --- a
> five pickle hat winner!

Like any self-respecting Jewish deli, the 2nd Avenue Deli has smoked
fishes on its menu.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> <snippety>
> >
> > Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> > though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> > onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> > slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

> A question Stan. I thought kirby cukes were pretty small? I don't see them
> often 'round here but we do get plenty regular and English cukes too. I
> think I might try the English, because the skins are not as tough...
>

> > Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> > mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> > The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> > I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> > ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> > calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> > vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> > shaking the bag vigorously.
> >
> > Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> > idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> > not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> > how it looks after you add in everything else.

> Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
> 'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
> sort of 'personal preference'?

I would go with the version that Sheldon posted. Its supposed to be
slightly sweet. Of course, you can adjust the sweetness to your taste.

Kirby's are smaller than regular cucumbers, but like any vegetable, they
vary in size.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time
> comes?

France too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Stan, a Jack of all trades!
>>
>> Like my boss used to tell me, "Andy, you do good work. Not much of it

but
>> you do good work!" I told him once I was going on break and he said "you
>> got a break when you got the job, get back to work."
>>
>> Keep my day job! I know!
>>
>> I'm looking forward to making your recipe. I also have Margaret's recipe
>> which was delicious, too!
>>
>> I've never been to the 2nd Ave. Deli, either locations. Did the recipe
>> change from the old to the new place? Just out of curiosity.

> All the recipes are the same as far as I know. What changed is that the
> new location is extremely cramped, whereas the 2nd Ave. Deli's previous
> location was reasonably spacious.

Stan,

Shame they had to relocate!

Never been to either. I'd've (if I'd known) gone to the original 2nd Ave
Deli.

Andy

Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time comes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time comes?

Unless Margaret wants me all to herself!

Andy

<Smootches Margaret>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi said...

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
>> Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time
>> comes?
>>

> France too?

sandi,

You're just days old in my record book.

France is constantly nice!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 6:00�am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > Cucumber salad is a much better accompaniment to smoked fish than to
> > typical deli meats... I've no idea why it's sold at the 2nd Ave Deli,
> > other than it being a good profit maker. �It goes very well with
> > smoked whitefish and smoked sable, goes naturally with lox and
> > pickeled herring of all sorts. �This cucumber salad is typically
> > served at kosher dairy restaurants, usually as a complimentary
> > condiment the same as meat delis serve free sour pickles. �At home it
> > was the standard side for tuna/salmon salad. �When my garden has a
> > glut of cukes I make a very similar concoction only I make a small
> > dice of young peeled cukes and add dark red kidney beans, and replace
> > part of the vinegar with fresh squeezed lemon juice... the diced cukes
> > and beans lends itself better to eating with a spoon, so I can shovel
> > it in. �Another favorite is to add diced beets... I call it Barb's
> > Bliss... superb with a sardine on buttered pumpernickle sandwich --- a
> > five pickle hat winner!

> Like any self-respecting Jewish deli, the 2nd Avenue Deli has smoked
> fishes on its menu.

Kosher delis traditionally do not serve smoked/pickled fish
(appetizing)... the redolence is too invasive, a pastrami sandwich
can't be enjoyed when the next table reeks of smoked fish... that the
2nd. Ave Deli serves typical kosher dairy restauant fare makes me
wonder if it's truly kosher, I seriously suspect not (in fact I know
it's not, in the sense that "there's something not kosher here"). Of
course the mid-town NYC restaurants are all very poor quality in that
they're not at all representive of traditional ethnic viands, they
cater exclusively to the tourists. I saw the pictures of 2nd Ave.
Deli food you posted, all looked pretty bad. The only thing eye
opening about a 2nd. Ave Deli experience is their exhorbitant prices,
which of course is typical for anything purchased in mid-town.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:19�am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Stan Horwitz said...
>

> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> >> Stan, a Jack of all trades!

> >> Like my boss used to tell me, "Andy, you do good work. Not much of it

> but
> >> you do good work!" I told him once I was going on break and he said "you
> >> got a break when you got the job, get back to work."

> >> Keep my day job! I know!

> >> I'm looking forward to making your recipe. I also have Margaret's recipe
> >> which was delicious, too!

> >> I've never been to the 2nd Ave. Deli, either locations. Did the recipe
> >> change from the old to the new place? Just out of curiosity.

> > All the recipes are the same as far as I know. What changed is that the
> > new location is extremely cramped, whereas the 2nd Ave. Deli's previous
> > location was reasonably spacious.

> Stan,
>
> Shame they had to relocate!
>
> Never been to either. I'd've (if I'd known) gone to the original 2nd Ave
> Deli.
>
> Andy

You're really not missing much. If after you dined at the delis in
Brooklyn and Queens you try the 2nd Ave Deli once it will be your
first and last. You should always be wary of any restaurant that
prints a cook book to further hype its image. I have a copy of their
cook book, I read through all of it, not even one recipe is
authentic... reads like it was written by a goy... all you gotta do is
read the section on chicken soup, it's a joke... Aunt Mary's Chicken
Soup.... shouldn't that be Mother Souperior Mary...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon said...

> On May 22, 7:19�am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> Stan Horwitz said...

>> but

"yo

recip

recipe

>> > All the recipes are the same as far as I know. What changed is that

the
>> > new location is extremely cramped, whereas the 2nd Ave. Deli's

previous
>> > location was reasonably spacious.

>> Stan,
>>
>> Shame they had to relocate!
>>
>> Never been to either. I'd've (if I'd known) gone to the original 2nd Ave
>> Deli.
>>
>> Andy

> You're really not missing much. If after you dined at the delis in
> Brooklyn and Queens you try the 2nd Ave Deli once it will be your
> first and last. You should always be wary of any restaurant that
> prints a cook book to further hype its image. I have a copy of their
> cook book, I read through all of it, not even one recipe is
> authentic... reads like it was written by a goy... all you gotta do is
> read the section on chicken soup, it's a joke... Aunt Mary's Chicken
> Soup.... shouldn't that be Mother Souperior Mary...

God! I hope i never meet you by mistake.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Margaret Suran said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Stan Horwitz said..o!

>>> All the recipes are the same as far as I know. What changed is that the
>>> new location is extremely cramped, whereas the 2nd Ave. Deli's previous
>>> location was reasonably spacious.

>> Stan,
>>
>> Shame they had to relocate!
>>
>> Never been to either. I'd've (if I'd known) gone to the original 2nd Ave
>> Deli.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time comes?

> Andy, I am going to break our date.
>
> Sue, Marcel and I were there a couple of months ago and it was a
> disaster. I believe Sue posted about our lunch, but she was too polite
> to tell the whole story.
>
> The seating was so tight, I had a woman from the next table sitting
> partially on my lap. Poor woman, she kept apologizing and swearing she
> would never come back.
>
> The waiter made Marcel get out of his chair and move to another part of
> the table, even though he has a lot of trouble getting up and we told
> that to the waiter, just so they could squeeze another chair into a
> space that did not exist, at another adjacent table.
>
> Sue could not eat the Pastrami in her sandwich. It was nothing like she
> had eaten in the original Deli several times. It was fat, stringy and

bad.

> The service was miserable. Once we got our food, both a waiter and a
> bus boy kept asking whether they could remove the dishes from which we
> were still eating. Sure, they wanted to get rid of us and get another
> party seated, but it sure was weird when they removed some stuff while
> we were still eating our sandwiches.
>
> There were a couple of other annoyances, such a the entrance to the
> toilets being blocked by a large stroller and no access to them, until
> someone was found to remove it.
>
> I had promised someone to bring back some sliced tongue. The man behind
> the deli counter showed me the tongue from which he would slice my
> order, at $36.00 a pound. It was a beautiful tongue. He sliced and I
> waited. Then a waitress called in an order for a tongue sandwich. The
> slicer took MY tongue and made a sandwich with it. I didn't bother to
> look what the new tongue he sliced looked like. The same thing happened
> once more, whatever was being sliced for me, went into a sandwich for
> another guest.
>
> I have to admit, that the tongue a brought to my friend, was really good.
>
> So, Andy, instead of going to the new 2nd Avenue Deli, we will make
> other arrangements for our date. )
>
> Hugs, M

Does that mean we can't meet at Lincoln Center fountain for a glass or two
of wine? Take in an opera? I don't where to dine there, but I'll treat!??

Plaza hotel can hold me over for the night.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:10:11 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
>

><Very good Japanese recipe snipped>
>
>> the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
>> much for me. ?

>Maybe should have called for a few drops of toasted sesame seed oil.
>
>Hmmm I'll try it and let you know. Nice Idea!
>
>Dimitri

i have added 1/2 t sesame oil to it in the past. it changes the taste
and mouthfeel considerably. it depends on what you're in the mood
for.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 01:24:24 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Wed 21 May 2008 07:57:49a, blake murphy told us...
>
>> On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:02:30 -0700, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:

>>><recipe snipped>
>>>
>>>Made something similar last night. a few quick points.
>>>
>>>1. Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin
>>>easily availavel for slicing like this. It really makes quick work of
>>>the process.
>>>
>>>2. I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. Which do you
>>>all prefer?
>>>
>>>3 Do you peal or score the cukes?
>>>
>>>4. when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
>>>marinating?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Dimitri

>> i haven't made the 2nd ave. recipe, but i most often use rice vinegar
>> with cukes. this is the one i make most frequently:
>>
>> japanese cucumber salad (adapted from 'japanese cooking,' by peter
>> and joan martin)
>>
>> 1 cucumber
>>
>> 1/4 cup rice vinegar
>>
>> 1 tbl sugar
>>
>> 1 tbl soy sauce
>>
>> 1/4 tsp monosodium glutamate (msg)
>>
>> * * * * *
>>
>> mix together all but cucumber.
>>
>> wash cucumber but do not peel. slice as thinly as possible. on a
>> plate, arrange the slices in layers, not overlapping, and salt each
>> layer lightly. let stand for 30 minutes. squeeze cucumbers pretty
>> hard to remove the accumulated moisture. place cukes in bowl, pour
>> dressing over and refrigerate.
>>
>> these taste better the next day. i don't see why they wouldn't last
>> at least a week.
>>
>> the recipe as given included 1/2 white sesame seeds, but the didn't do
>> much for me. recipe can be doubled or (maybe) tripled. they're tasty
>> little suckers.
>>

>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>I make a very similar dish using the same procedure, Blake, but I can never
>resist adding a bit of onion, usually scallions. :-)

that would probably be good. i would personally avoid the scallions
because i usually eat this over a period of three or four days, and i
think they may get a little peaked.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 22 May 2008 08:20:03a, blake murphy told us...

In that circumstance I would agree.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 05(V)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 22 May 2008 06:56:39a, Andy told us...

> Margaret Suran said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Stan Horwitz said..o!

recipe

the

previous

>>> Stan,
>>>
>>> Shame they had to relocate!
>>>
>>> Never been to either. I'd've (if I'd known) gone to the original 2nd

Ave
>>> Deli.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> Margaret and I have a date, iirc. Be there when the time comes?

>> Andy, I am going to break our date.
>>
>> Sue, Marcel and I were there a couple of months ago and it was a
>> disaster. I believe Sue posted about our lunch, but she was too polite
>> to tell the whole story.
>>
>> The seating was so tight, I had a woman from the next table sitting
>> partially on my lap. Poor woman, she kept apologizing and swearing she
>> would never come back.
>>
>> The waiter made Marcel get out of his chair and move to another part of
>> the table, even though he has a lot of trouble getting up and we told
>> that to the waiter, just so they could squeeze another chair into a
>> space that did not exist, at another adjacent table.
>>
>> Sue could not eat the Pastrami in her sandwich. It was nothing like she
>> had eaten in the original Deli several times. It was fat, stringy and
>> bad.
>>
>> The service was miserable. Once we got our food, both a waiter and a
>> bus boy kept asking whether they could remove the dishes from which we
>> were still eating. Sure, they wanted to get rid of us and get another
>> party seated, but it sure was weird when they removed some stuff while
>> we were still eating our sandwiches.
>>
>> There were a couple of other annoyances, such a the entrance to the
>> toilets being blocked by a large stroller and no access to them, until
>> someone was found to remove it.
>>
>> I had promised someone to bring back some sliced tongue. The man behind
>> the deli counter showed me the tongue from which he would slice my
>> order, at $36.00 a pound. It was a beautiful tongue. He sliced and I
>> waited. Then a waitress called in an order for a tongue sandwich. The
>> slicer took MY tongue and made a sandwich with it. I didn't bother to
>> look what the new tongue he sliced looked like. The same thing happened
>> once more, whatever was being sliced for me, went into a sandwich for
>> another guest.
>>
>> I have to admit, that the tongue a brought to my friend, was really

good.

>> So, Andy, instead of going to the new 2nd Avenue Deli, we will make
>> other arrangements for our date. )
>>
>> Hugs, M

> Does that mean we can't meet at Lincoln Center fountain for a glass or

two
> of wine? Take in an opera? I don't where to dine there, but I'll treat!??
>
> Plaza hotel can hold me over for the night.
>
> Andy

I didn't think the Plaza was a hotel anymore. I thought it had been
converted into luxury co-ops.

The Pierre is understated and quite nice. At least it used to be.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 05(V)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Corpus Christi
Countdown till Memorial Day
3dys 15hrs 35mins
Cats must lie under the coffee table
and hiss at all of mom's guests.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> You're really not missing much. If after you dined at the delis in
> Brooklyn and Queens you try the 2nd Ave Deli once it will be your
> first and last. You should always be wary of any restaurant that
> prints a cook book to further hype its image. I have a copy of their
> cook book, I read through all of it, not even one recipe is
> authentic... reads like it was written by a goy... all you gotta do is
> read the section on chicken soup, it's a joke... Aunt Mary's Chicken
> Soup.... shouldn't that be Mother Souperior Mary...

You'd prefer, maybe, Aunt Selma's?
;-)

gloria p

Coconut Cucumber Salad Recipe lilchuff11 Vegetarian cooking 5 06-12-2012 10:55 AM
Coconut Cucumber Salad Recipe lilchuff11 Vegan 0 26-12-2011 10:16 PM
Cucumber salad recipe video Janet Bostwick General Cooking 5 04-08-2011 02:58 AM
Cucumber Salad Sheldon General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 08:01 PM
Cucumber Salad Ankur General Cooking 1 23-05-2007 07:54 PM