Old 20-05-2008, 10:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cucumber salad recipe for Andy

Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
Sunday.

Unfortunately, I can't find my copy of the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook.
Fortunately, the recipe's very easy and I am pretty sure I remember it.
If you want the official recipe, you can buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook
on amazon.com. I just checked and it is in stock.

Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
shaking the bag vigorously.

Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
how it looks after you add in everything else.

Let this sit in your refrigerator over night so the flavors have time to
blend and the cucumbers get slightly pickled. I also give the bag a
rigorous shaking two or three times at least an hour apart, in order to
make sure all the sweetener and vinegar get evenly distributed.

I made a big batch of this salad for my sister's engagement party a few
years ago. It turned out fantastic and every bit of it was eaten. I also
received lots of compliments on it.

There's also a health salad recipe in the same cookbook, which is really
the same as the cucumber salad recipe, except you substitute one head of
shredded cabbage. It is very good and I also made a big bowl of that for
my sister's engagement party and it was a big hit. The 2nd Avenue Deli
serves this health salad free at their deli, which is located in
Manhattan on 33rd Street just west of 3rd Avenue.

Old 20-05-2008, 11:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:

snippety

Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

A question Stan. I thought kirby cukes were pretty small? I don't see them
often 'round here but we do get plenty regular and English cukes too. I
think I might try the English, because the skins are not as tough...

Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
shaking the bag vigorously.

Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
how it looks after you add in everything else.

Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
sort of 'personal preference'?

more snippety

Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Old 20-05-2008, 12:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 07:12:13 -0400, Margaret Suran wrote:

Don't use English Cucumbers. The vinegar makes the thin slices mushy if
there is left over salad.

After slicing the cukes, most people let them rest until they release
some of the liquid, which can be drained or even squeezed out by hand.

As for the sweeteners, I use a pinch of sugar(about 1/4 teaspoon or
less) for four large cucumbers and just enough white vinegar to cover
the sliced vegetables. If that is too acidy, a little water may be
added.

I do not use carrots, but do use onions or scallions, as well as salt,
if needed and freshly ground black pepper.

This is the Viennese way to make Gurkensalat.

Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

Old 20-05-2008, 12:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
[...]

You never ate at the 2nd Ave Deli (at least not while sober), you made
that up...

"Cucumber Salad" - 2nd Ave. Deli cook book - Pg 12.

(needs to marinate over night, so plan ahead)

2 1/2 straight, long, cucumbers.

4 paper thin slices cut from the center of a lage onion (separate into
rings, cut into thin strips).

1/2 cup white vinegar.

1/4 cup sugar.

2 Tbls finely chopped fresh dill.

1/2 tsp salt.

1/8 tsp white pepper.

Peel cukes by removing alternating strips. Slice cukes 1/16" thk.
In a bowl incorporate all other ingredients. In large bowl pour over
cukes and toss well. Cover and let marinate in fridge over night.
---

I took liberties by shortening the procedure but ingredients are
transcribed exact. There is nothing new about this recipe, I've been
making this longer than the 2nd Ave. Deli has existed (1954)... I
learned this from my grandmother who learned from her grandmother...
it works better if all the cuke skin is removed and the cukes are
striated with the tines of a fork before slicing... any kind of cukes
will work so long as they're young, before seeds develop. Serve well
drained, topped with a big dollop of sour cream.

---

Old 20-05-2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
Sunday.

Stan,

Thanks for remembering. BTW folks, at the RTM (acronym) Stan's cup of
cucumber salad had some red bell pepper in it, mine was plainer!

They didn't have carrot in their version either! Did the 2nd Avenue Deli
have red bell pepper?

I'm going to have to have a word or a few with those cute Amish girls next
time. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, hopefully. Just the facts,
girls! Are you married?

I should probably also swing by Chocolate by Mueller and put in a few good
words for myself to the "could be my granddaughters" babes. Ask for some
recipes and that kinda stuff!

[...]

Stan, a Jack of all trades!

Like my boss used to tell me, "Andy, you do good work. Not much of it but
you do good work!" I told him once I was going on break and he said "you
got a break when you got the job, get back to work."

Keep my day job! I know!

I'm looking forward to making your recipe. I also have Margaret's recipe
which was delicious, too!

I've never been to the 2nd Ave. Deli, either locations. Did the recipe
change from the old to the new place? Just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the recipe and the photographs!

Best,

Andy

Old 20-05-2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400:

Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock
bag and mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are
evenly distributed. The original recipe says to add in half a
teaspoon of white pepper, but I don't like that stuff (it has
no flavor), so I use a bit of regular ground pepper instead.
\

That looks well worth trying. In defense of white pepper, I
might suggest that you try it freshly bought. I does lose its
flavor fairly quickly. I suppose you could also try grinding
your own.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 20-05-2008, 01:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote in message
Stan Horwitz wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
I'll be making this tonight.

Old 20-05-2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" said...

The cucumber salad that I've made from the 2nd Ave. Deli Cookbook recipe
is excellent. Sheldon just posted it a bit ago. If you need a copy of it
just email me. I'll make a copy for you and email it or fax it to you.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks. I have to honor Stan's version first. My people will call your
people.

I'd buy the 2nd Ave. Deli cookbook but I can guess a lot of the recipes are
probably no longer on my diet agenda, dammit!!! I'll see if the town
library has a copy.

Best,

Andy
T2
HBP
Gout

Old 20-05-2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:
�Stan �wrote:

The original recipe says to add in half a
teaspoon of white pepper, but I don't like that stuff (it has
no flavor), so I use a bit of regular ground pepper instead.

In defense of white pepper, I
might suggest that you try it �freshly bought. I does lose its
flavor fairly quickly. I suppose you could also try grinding
your own.

Grind your own! You'll know what/who's in it... preground spices are
guaranteed to contain ground mouse turds, cockroaches, and other
assorted nasties... in fact you should pick over your peppercorns
carefully before just dumping them into your pepper mill. White
pepper is actually more flavorful than black pepper but in a different
way, white is more pungent. White pepper is used exclusively in
Chinese restaurant food, they don't use black pepper at all. Black
pepper in cucumber salad would look like dirt.

Old 20-05-2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote in message
[snip]
Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer
regular cukes though). Slice them as thin as you can.
Slice a small or medium size onion and shred one
carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

[snip]
Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white vinegar.

[snip]

Kirby? Aren't those the knobby, squat things recommended for
pickling? Do Persian cukes not stand up or is their flavor too
delicate for the 4 cups of vinegar?

Can you adjust the amount of vinegar or does that muck with the
overall product?

The Ranger

Old 20-05-2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" wrote in message
Andy, here's how I make that 2nd Avenue Deli cucumber salad that I
mentioned when we ate lunch at the Reading Terminal farmers market last
Sunday.

recipe snipped

Made something similar last night. a few quick points.

1. Now that little hands are no longer around I keep my mandolin easily
availavel for slicing like this. It really makes quick work of the process.

2. I like to use Rice or TJ'S white balsamic vinegar. Which do you all
prefer?

3 Do you peal or score the cukes?

4. when resting the cukes do you salt them separately & drain before
marinating?

Thanks

Dimitri

Old 20-05-2008, 03:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:30:23 +0200, ChattyCathy
wrote:

Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
sort of 'personal preference'?

I would say "to taste". For me, it would be a balance of sweet and
sour so neither one stood out.

My Swedish grandmother's sweet & sour cucumber recipe called for equal
amounts of sugar, vinegar and water.... she used one cup of each.
Place sugar and water in a saucepan, heat until the sugar has melted,
take off the heat and add vinegar. When the mixture has cooled,
combine with sliced cucumbers and onions. Refrigerate until serving
time - at least one hour.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Old 20-05-2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" schrieb :
ChattyCathy wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:

Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.

Don't use English Cucumbers. The vinegar makes the thin slices mushy if there
is left over salad.

After slicing the cukes, most people let them rest until they release some of
the liquid, which can be drained or even squeezed out by hand.

As for the sweeteners, I use a pinch of sugar(about 1/4 teaspoon or less) for
four large cucumbers and just enough white vinegar to cover the sliced
vegetables. If that is too acidy, a little water may be added.

I do not use carrots, but do use onions or scallions, as well as salt, if
needed and freshly ground black pepper.

This is the Viennese way to make Gurkensalat.

Other Austrian ways :

Cucumber salad
(serves 4)

Marinade :
2 tbl spoons wine vinegar
1 tbl spoon water
2 tbl spoons oil
1/2 tea spoon sugar
salt

2 cucumbers, peeled and finely sliced
salt
1/2 a clove of garlic, pressed
powdered paprika

Mix cucumber slices with salt and garlic.
Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
Drain water.
Mix with marinade, sprinkle with powdered paprika and serve.

Cucumber salad with cream
(serves 4)
2 cucumbers, peeled and finely sliced
salt
1/2 a clove of garlic, pressed
1/8 litre sour cream
white pepper
dill, finely chopped

Mix sour cream with pepper and dill.
Mix cucumber slices with salt and garlic.
Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
Drain water.
Add the sour cream mix.
Serve.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Old 20-05-2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Margaret Suran" wrote in message
ChattyCathy wrote:
Ah. Thanks Margaret. Normal cukes it is...

ChattyCathy, Another Senior Moment: I did not mention that the cucumbers
must be peeled and sliced as thinly as possible. I assumed that nobody
would not peel them. Years ago, cucumbers were not cultivated as they are
now and had little fuzzy growths on their skins, almost like tiny thorns
or spines or prickles and had to be peeled for salads.

Hi Margaret! I don't peel cucumbers if they're unwaxed. Or if I'm feeling
ritzy, I'll peel alternating strips on them.

TammyM

Coconut Cucumber Salad Recipe lilchuff11 Vegetarian cooking 5 06-12-2012 09:55 AM
Coconut Cucumber Salad Recipe lilchuff11 Vegan 0 26-12-2011 09:16 PM
Cucumber salad recipe video Janet Bostwick General Cooking 5 04-08-2011 02:58 AM
Cucumber Salad Sheldon General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 08:01 PM
Cucumber Salad Ankur General Cooking 1 23-05-2007 07:54 PM