Posted to rec.food.cooking
ChattyCathy ChattyCathy is offline

Default Cucumber salad recipe for Andy

On Tue, 20 May 2008 05:10:23 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:

<snippety>

> Anyway, slice four large kirby cucumbers (I prefer regular cukes
> though). Slice them as thin as you can. Slice a small or medium size
> onion and shred one carrot (or finely dice it). I use a $20 vegetable
> slicer; its a poor man's mandolin, but it works fine.

A question Stan. I thought kirby cukes were pretty small? I don't see them
often 'round here but we do get plenty regular and English cukes too. I
think I might try the English, because the skins are not as tough...

> Then I put the cucumber, carrot, and onion in a large zip lock bag and
> mix them up so the onion and sliced cucumbers are evenly distributed.
> The original recipe says to add in half a teaspoon of white pepper, but
> I don't like that stuff (it has no flavor), so I use a bit of regular
> ground pepper instead. Then I add in one cup of Splenda (the recipe
> calls for regular sugar). Next, goes in four cups of Heinz white
> vinegar. Close the bag tightly and mix up the ingredients thoroughly by
> shaking the bag vigorously.
>
> Note that I am not sure about the amounts of sweetener and vinegar. The
> idea with the vinegar is to have enough to cover the sliced vegies, but
> not drench them. I would start with half a cup of sweetener and just see
> how it looks after you add in everything else.

Ah - was gonna ask about the amounts... I am gonna use sugar, so how
'sweet' is this supposed to be? Just sweet-ish or fairly sweet? Or is that
sort of 'personal preference'?

<more snippety>

Thanks, this sounds like it's worth a shot.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...