Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemons?

Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
> a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
> finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

They tend to be expensive at this time of year, but it may also depend on
where you buy them. There is one grocery store where I shop when I need to
stock up on more exotic items and one where I get better produce for a much
better price. The lemons in the first were 99 cents each and dropped to 79
cents. In the other there were 2 for $1.and dropped to 3 for $1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 1:45*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
> a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
> finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

Lemons were .99 each today at Safeway.

It's crazy since lemons are on trees across the street.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 19 May 2008 09:26:24p, Karen told us...

> On May 19, 1:45*pm, Tracy > wrote:
>> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
>> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
>> a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
>> finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

> Lemons were .99 each today at Safeway.
>
> It's crazy since lemons are on trees across the street.
>
> Karen

Better you should walk across the street. :-) Luckily , we have a prolific
lemon tree in the back yard, and Mexican limes are dirt cheap in the local
stores.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:
> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7
> for a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when
> I finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

...... you will share it with us??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:54:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>They tend to be expensive at this time of year, but it may also depend on
>where you buy them.

Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
> green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
> often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
> don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.

I just discovered Meyer lemons a few months ago. I bought a bag of them
because they seemed to be such a good deal. Then I discovered that they aren't
really lemons. They have an orange taste to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:54:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> They tend to be expensive at this time of year, but it may also depend on
>> where you buy them.

> Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
> green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
> often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
> don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.

Unfortunately for me - I am on the east coast and no matter where I go,
lemons are never less than 75 cents each. Meyer lemons? I hardy ever
see those!
I guess I just have to wait for the prices to come down a bit.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:45:43 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

>Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
>have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
>a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
>finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....
>
>-Tracy

no help for limoncello, but for your juice needs, i recommend minute
maid frozen juice:

<http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_7216.html>

....which should be cheaper in your supermarket than shown here. (i
pay $1.79, i think.) juice of approx seven lemons. it's not nasty
like real lemon, and keeps for six weeks in the refrigerator after
defrosting. very handy to have around.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

>> Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
>> green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
>> often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
>> don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.

> I just discovered Meyer lemons a few months ago. I bought a bag of them
> because they seemed to be such a good deal. Then I discovered that they aren't
> really lemons. They have an orange taste to them.

Meyer lemons are THE lemons to make Moroccan preserved lemons. I wish I
could get them more often.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:54:18 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> They tend to be expensive at this time of year, but it may also depend
>>> on
>>> where you buy them.

>> Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
>> green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
>> often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
>> don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.
>>

> Unfortunately for me - I am on the east coast and no matter where I go,
> lemons are never less than 75 cents each. Meyer lemons? I hardy ever see
> those!
> I guess I just have to wait for the prices to come down a bit.
>
> -Tracy

Move out west, young woman! I have the most prolific Meyer lemon tree on
the planet. Ditto limes and blood oranges. My "key" lime tree has never
graced me with fruit but I'm not very kind to it.

TammyM
Sacramento, California

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They have
> been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for a
> dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I finally
> got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....
>
> -Tracy

Tracy: You might want to try an ethnic market, such as asian/Korean, etc.
Lemons: 4/$1.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:
> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They have
>> been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for a
>> dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I finally
>> got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....
>>
>> -Tracy

> Tracy: You might want to try an ethnic market, such as asian/Korean, etc.
> Lemons: 4/$1.

nope.. I tried that too. There is a very large Asian grocery not too far
from me plus a very large produce market. Both are selling limes dirt
cheap but lemons are 75 cents each. My only other option is the
Haymarket. Folks familiar with it will know what it is. For those who
don't - it's a farmers market set up in the Haymarket area of Boston -
right next to the North End. Cheap stuff - but a lot of the dealers
won't let you pick your own. They get mad when you touch the fruit. ;-)

Now that the weather is improving I might check them out this weekend -
and stop for a cannoli.

http://www.boston-online.com/cityviews/haymarket.html

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
>> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7
>> for a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when
>> I finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

> ..... you will share it with us??

The recipe is fairly standard, but I don't have it with me at work. I
will post it later today or tomorrow.
I am really looking forward to trying it out. I have a pint of theirs
and it is fabulous.
-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote on Tue, 20 May 2008 16:02:50 -0400:

> Kswck wrote:
>> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>>> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really
>>> expensive? They have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like
>>> forever.
>>> >>

>> Tracy: You might want to try an ethnic market, such as
>> asian/Korean, etc. Lemons: 4/$1.

> nope.. I tried that too. There is a very large Asian grocery
> not too far from me plus a very large produce market. Both are

The price of lemons seems to fluctuate a lot but they were 4 for
a dollar in the not particularly cheap neighborhood supermarket
this afternoon.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 3:45*pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
> a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
> finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

Expensive here too. We've been using key limes for putting on our
fish.

> -Tracy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:48*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
> > Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> > have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7
> > for a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when
> > I finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

> ..... you will share it with us??

Italian Limoncello

15 lemons*
2 bottles (750 ml) 100-proof vodka**
4 cups sugar
5 cups water

* Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.

** Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one.
Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not
turn to ice in the freezer.

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.

Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there
is no white pith on the peel. NOTE: Use only the outer part of the
rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind, is too bitter and
would spoil your limoncello.

Step One:
In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka; add the
lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room
temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool
dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There
is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello
sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the
lemon zest.

Step Two:
In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until
thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before
adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Add to the Limoncello mixture
from Step One. Add the additional bottle of vodka. Allow to rest for
another 10 to 40 days.

Step Three:
After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest.
Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bebe wrote:
> On May 20, 8:48 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Tracy wrote:
>>> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
>>> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7
>>> for a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just
>>> when I finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....

>> ..... you will share it with us??

> Italian Limoncello

Thank you <saved>

> 15 lemons*
> 2 bottles (750 ml) 100-proof vodka**
> 4 cups sugar
> 5 cups water
>
> * Choose thick-skinned lemons because they are easier to zest.
>
> ** Use 100-proof vodka, which has less flavor than a lower proof one.
> Also the high alcohol level will ensure that the limoncello will not
> turn to ice in the freezer.
>
> Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any
> reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry.
>
> Carefully zest the lemons with a zester or vegetable peeler so there
> is no white pith on the peel. NOTE: Use only the outer part of the
> rind. The pith, the white part underneath the rind, is too bitter and
> would spoil your limoncello.
>
> Step One:
> In a large glass jar (1-gallon jar), add one bottle of vodka; add the
> lemon zest as it is zested. Cover the jar and let sit at room
> temperature for at least (10) ten days and up to (40) days in a cool
> dark place. The longer it rests, the better the taste will be. (There
> is no need to stir - all you have to do is wait.) As the limoncello
> sits, the vodka slowly take on the flavor and rich yellow color of the
> lemon zest.
>
> Step Two:
> In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and water; cook until
> thickened, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Let the syrup cool before
> adding it to the Limoncello mixture. Add to the Limoncello mixture
> from Step One. Add the additional bottle of vodka. Allow to rest for
> another 10 to 40 days.
>
> Step Three:
> After the rest period, strain and bottle: discarding the lemon zest.
> Keep in the freezer until ready to serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 19 May 2008 16:54:18 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Right! They are always expensive at the grocery store, but my local
>>> green grocer sells both Meyer lemons and regular ones. Meyers are
>>> often 10 for a dollar, regular lemons are several for a dollar - I
>>> don't remember how many - but no less than 3 or 4.
>>>

>> Unfortunately for me - I am on the east coast and no matter where I
>> go, lemons are never less than 75 cents each. Meyer lemons? I hardy
>> ever see those!
>> I guess I just have to wait for the prices to come down a bit.
>>
>> -Tracy

> Move out west, young woman! I have the most prolific Meyer lemon
> tree on the planet. Ditto limes and blood oranges. My "key" lime
> tree has never graced me with fruit but I'm not very kind to it.
>
> TammyM
> Sacramento, California

Great you can grow lemons, limes and oranges. But what's the cost of living
otherwise?! I have friends who moved from CA (I forget exactly where,
Berkeley area, I think) and couldn't believe how much cheaper things are in
the southern states. They got three times the house for the cost of a one
bedroom apartment out there, not to mention lower taxes, etc.

Citrus fruit grows in the south, too Doesn't exactly solve the OP's
problem of expensive lemons on the eastern seaboard, though. You always
have to pay more for things that don't grow in your region. And buy in
season even if they don't grow locally.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 19, 4:45 pm, Tracy > wrote:
> Is it just me (or where I live) or are lemons really expensive? They
> have been 3 for 2 bucks for what seems like forever. Limes, I got 7 for
> a dollar just last week, but the lemons aren't budging. Just when I
> finally got my friends prized Limoncello recipe....
>
> -Tracy

Last I bought were two for a dollar. I still rue the day I didn't
plant a lemon tree in the yard....

Oh well, when I do buy them, I am religious about peeling the skin,
drying it in the Ron Popiel, then grinding it for use in recipes. I
freeze the juice in 2 T., containers.
Have you priced dried lemon peel lately in a jar? Ouch.

I do the same with Valencia oranges too. I like a mix of lemon and
orange peel in my muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> TammyM wrote:

>>> -Tracy

>> Move out west, young woman! I have the most prolific Meyer lemon
>> tree on the planet. Ditto limes and blood oranges. My "key" lime
>> tree has never graced me with fruit but I'm not very kind to it.
>>
>> TammyM
>> Sacramento, California

> Great you can grow lemons, limes and oranges. But what's the cost of living
> otherwise?! I have friends who moved from CA (I forget exactly where,
> Berkeley area, I think) and couldn't believe how much cheaper things are in
> the southern states. They got three times the house for the cost of a one
> bedroom apartment out there, not to mention lower taxes, etc.
>
> Citrus fruit grows in the south, too Doesn't exactly solve the OP's
> problem of expensive lemons on the eastern seaboard, though. You always
> have to pay more for things that don't grow in your region. And buy in
> season even if they don't grow locally.
>
> Jill

Yeah, moving isn't really option - just to get cheap lemons. ;-)
I will just have to be patient and wait till the prices come down a bit.
Even when they do - they most likely will not be cheaper than say 4 for
$1 but that is much better than 75 cents each.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> TammyM wrote:
>>> Move out west, young woman! I have the most prolific Meyer lemon
>>> tree on the planet. Ditto limes and blood oranges. My "key" lime
>>> tree has never graced me with fruit but I'm not very kind to it.
>>>
>>> TammyM
>>> Sacramento, California

I'm in Gilroy, CA. My Meyer lemon tree doesn't produce ripe lemons until
late in the Fall. And, regular lemons in the stores are $.89 each. Go
figure. Limes are 5 for $1.

Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 7:49*am, val189 > wrote:
> Last I bought were two for a dollar. *I still rue the day I didn't
> plant a lemon tree in the yard....
>
> Oh well, when I do buy them, I am religious about peeling the skin,
> drying it in the Ron Popiel, then grinding it for use in recipes. I
> freeze the juice in 2 T., containers.
> *Have you priced dried lemon peel lately in a jar? *Ouch.
>
> *I do the same with Valencia oranges too. I like a mix of lemon and
> orange peel in my muffins.

Do you use a zester or a peeler or what to peel lemons and oranges for
drying?

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sharon wrote:

> I'm in Gilroy, CA. My Meyer lemon tree doesn't produce ripe lemons until
> late in the Fall. And, regular lemons in the stores are $.89 each. Go
> figure. Limes are 5 for $1.

Down here in way-the-heck-south Texas this week, lemons were 3 for $1
and Persian-type limes were 10 for $1. A whole bag of little key limes
(about 2 pounds) was $2. DH requested lemon-lime granita so I bought some.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Sharon wrote:
>

>> I'm in Gilroy, CA. My Meyer lemon tree doesn't produce ripe lemons
>> until late in the Fall. And, regular lemons in the stores are $.89
>> each. Go figure. Limes are 5 for $1.
>>

> Down here in way-the-heck-south Texas this week, lemons were 3 for $1
> and Persian-type limes were 10 for $1. A whole bag of little key limes
> (about 2 pounds) was $2. DH requested lemon-lime granita so I bought some.

How close to the Valley are you Janet? The citrus growers there usually
will give you a Ponderosa lemon tree or at least the seeds from one.
It's believed to be a natural cross between a lemon and a grapefruit. We
have harvested fruit from ours that weighed as much as three pounds.
Very thick skin, lots of seeds but very much lemony. We harvest and
juice them and then freeze the juice in ice cube trays. We zest the skin
and either freeze it or dry it for future use. Tree has frozen to the
ground at least twice in the last fifteen years and always comes back
up. Can grow up to six feet in a year. Grows true from the seeds and
sometimes the roots will sprout a tree. We've probably given away or
sold, at the farmer's market, a couple of hundred of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:27:53 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>How close to the Valley are you Janet? The citrus growers there usually
>will give you a Ponderosa lemon tree or at least the seeds from one.
>It's believed to be a natural cross between a lemon and a grapefruit. We
>have harvested fruit from ours that weighed as much as three pounds.
>Very thick skin, lots of seeds but very much lemony.

Have you ever heard of a Pomelo? Do you think the thick skin came
from that?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

> How close to the Valley are you Janet? The citrus growers there usually
> will give you a Ponderosa lemon tree or at least the seeds from one.
> It's believed to be a natural cross between a lemon and a grapefruit. We
> have harvested fruit from ours that weighed as much as three pounds.
> Very thick skin, lots of seeds but very much lemony. We harvest and
> juice them and then freeze the juice in ice cube trays. We zest the skin
> and either freeze it or dry it for future use. Tree has frozen to the
> ground at least twice in the last fifteen years and always comes back
> up. Can grow up to six feet in a year. Grows true from the seeds and
> sometimes the roots will sprout a tree. We've probably given away or
> sold, at the farmer's market, a couple of hundred of them.

Thanks for the info, George.

I am IN The Valley. Harlingen Extra-Territory. I'm about 5 miles from
the Rio Grande.

I know that we have something called "Valley Lemons" which are very
large and thin-skinned, very juicy and sweeter than regular lemons. I
always thought they were a Meyer lemon.

I haven't seen anyone selling them and we haven't been to a citrus
grower in years as, unhappily, neither of us can eat it.

Where can I get one of those Ponderosa lemon trees in The Valley?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2008 20:27:53 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> How close to the Valley are you Janet? The citrus growers there usually
>> will give you a Ponderosa lemon tree or at least the seeds from one.
>> It's believed to be a natural cross between a lemon and a grapefruit. We
>> have harvested fruit from ours that weighed as much as three pounds.
>> Very thick skin, lots of seeds but very much lemony.

> Have you ever heard of a Pomelo? Do you think the thick skin came
> from that?

Everything I've read said the Ponderosa is not related to the Pomelo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> How close to the Valley are you Janet? The citrus growers there
>> usually will give you a Ponderosa lemon tree or at least the seeds
>> from one. It's believed to be a natural cross between a lemon and a
>> grapefruit. We have harvested fruit from ours that weighed as much as
>> three pounds. Very thick skin, lots of seeds but very much lemony. We
>> harvest and juice them and then freeze the juice in ice cube trays. We
>> zest the skin and either freeze it or dry it for future use. Tree has
>> frozen to the ground at least twice in the last fifteen years and
>> always comes back up. Can grow up to six feet in a year. Grows true
>> from the seeds and sometimes the roots will sprout a tree. We've
>> probably given away or sold, at the farmer's market, a couple of
>> hundred of them.

> Thanks for the info, George.
>
> I am IN The Valley. Harlingen Extra-Territory. I'm about 5 miles from
> the Rio Grande.
>
> I know that we have something called "Valley Lemons" which are very
> large and thin-skinned, very juicy and sweeter than regular lemons. I
> always thought they were a Meyer lemon.
>
> I haven't seen anyone selling them and we haven't been to a citrus
> grower in years as, unhappily, neither of us can eat it.
>
> Where can I get one of those Ponderosa lemon trees in The Valley?

I don't know, haven't been down there in donkey's years. when we lived
in Corpus in the late seventies all the growers we purchased boxed
citrus from would give you a Ponderosa seedling. Most everyone just
called them "Them ol' ugly lemons."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Great you can grow lemons, limes and oranges. But what's the cost of living
> otherwise?! I have friends who moved from CA (I forget exactly where,
> Berkeley area, I think) and couldn't believe how much cheaper things are in
> the southern states. They got three times the house for the cost of a one
> bedroom apartment out there, not to mention lower taxes, etc.
>
> Citrus fruit grows in the south, too Doesn't exactly solve the OP's
> problem of expensive lemons on the eastern seaboard, though. You always
> have to pay more for things that don't grow in your region. And buy in
> season even if they don't grow locally.
>
> Jill

Jealous? Some people *work* and can afford to live outside of Memphis.

-dk

Lot's of Lemons Arri London General Cooking 0 25-12-2009 12:52 AM
Lot's of Lemons Nancy2 General Cooking 0 22-12-2009 09:13 PM
Lot's of Lemons sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 22-12-2009 01:02 PM
Lot's of Lemons Dimitri General Cooking 0 22-12-2009 01:42 AM
Lot's of Lemons Terry[_3_] General Cooking 0 21-12-2009 12:50 PM