Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-05-12) NS-RFC: Mortar and pestle

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:09:30 +0000, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> ChattyCathy > dropped this news:G2YVj.27695
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> I WIN!!! Gawd, I think I have one of each of the TFHs. Can I donate this
> one to charity?

<lol> Very generous of you, Michael!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Mon, 12 May 2008 15:59:15 +0200:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> --
> Cheers

> Chatty Cathy

> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My
category was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once
but I don't remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one
(?) I will discard it immediately.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:26:53 +0000, James Silverton wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote on Mon, 12 May 2008 15:59:15 +0200:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>> --
>> Cheers

>> Chatty Cathy

>> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My category
> was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once but I don't
> remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one (?) I will discard
> it immediately.

<veg> The question did ask if you 'currently' owned one.

Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 14:40:37 +0000, Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> ChattyCathy > dropped this news:QwYVj.4633
> : in rec.food.cooking

>>> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My category
>>> was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once but I don't
>>> remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one (?) I will

> discard
>>> it immediately.

>> <veg> The question did ask if you 'currently' owned one.
>>
>> Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

> I use mine now and then. I grind up pet medicine in it more than any
> food for human consumption

<lol> They do have their uses, don't they?

But seriously, we had a small one that DH liked to use, but said it just
wasn't 'big enough'. So, a few years ago I spotted a nice big heavy one at
a local store and gave it to him for his birthday. He loves it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in
message news:NsYVj.18111$OT1.12110@trnddc03...
[snip]
> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours.
> My category was not mentioned since I had a mortar
> and pestle once but I don't remember if I ever discarded
> it. If I still have one (?) I will discard it immediately.

I have three sets; a full-sized marble paper weight, a metal
bell wedding gift, and an exotic wooden l'objet d'art. I use
all three depending what I'm making. I dislike using spices in
my burr grinder; something about the noise just sets my teeth
on edge. Clean-up on the mortar and pestles is easy, too, so
that's not nearly as painful as cleaning the burr grinder.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:44:53 -0400, kilikini wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:

>> Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

> I'll bet it's useful. I've always wanted one, but never purchased one. I
> think I'm going to have to. It's got to be great for mashing garlic!

Quite so. And fresh ginger too. We had a specific 'garlic crusher' that
broke <sigh> and haven't been able to find another decent one - but the
mortar and pestle does the trick if you want it really 'fine' (i.e. not
just smashed/bruised with a heavy knife).

I also use it for crushing up nuts if you want to make them nice and fine
to use as a "coating"; it's also great for rosemary and other herbs
if you want to use them in a 'rub', and for pesto etc. - the list goes on...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 10:40 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> ChattyCathy > dropped this news:QwYVj.4633
> : in rec.food.cooking

> >> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My category
> >> was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once but I don't
> >> remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one (?) I will

> discard
> >> it immediately.

> > <veg> The question did ask if you 'currently' owned one.

> > Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

> I use mine now and then. I grind up pet medicine in it more than any
> food for human consumption
>
> Michael

I gave my big one (about pint-sized) to my sister to grind up Mom's
[pills. She gave me a gift certificate so I bought a new one<g>.

I use mine to grind up whole spices and crush dried herbs for bread,
so I use mine fairly often.

Now that we have Badia spices in several of our local stores, I may
reduce that usage, since they sell small bag quantities, and the
quality is good enough for me.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 10:57 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:44:53 -0400, kilikini wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >> Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

> > I'll bet it's useful. I've always wanted one, but never purchased one. I
> > think I'm going to have to. It's got to be great for mashing garlic!

> Quite so. And fresh ginger too. We had a specific 'garlic crusher' that
> broke <sigh> and haven't been able to find another decent one - but the
> mortar and pestle does the trick if you want it really 'fine' (i.e. not
> just smashed/bruised with a heavy knife).
>
> I also use it for crushing up nuts if you want to make them nice and fine
> to use as a "coating"; it's also great for rosemary and other herbs
> if you want to use them in a 'rub', and for pesto etc. - the list goes on...

I've never used mine for anything other than dry herbs and spices.
It's a marble one. Do they clean up well enough when washed by hand
so that I won't have garlic-scented cinnamon or ginger overpowering
the herbs?

Wouldn't crushing nuts leave you with nut paste rather than nut
flour? Any tips, hints, or boringly detailed instructions on how to
grind wet ingredients so that they don't end up as pastes?

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 08:59:46 -0700, maxine in ri wrote:

> I've never used mine for anything other than dry herbs and spices. It's
> a marble one. Do they clean up well enough when washed by hand so that
> I won't have garlic-scented cinnamon or ginger overpowering the herbs?

Our marble one cleans up just fine... quick wash with some sort of gentle
detergent with water and a sponge (right after use) - bit like a cutting
board, IMHO.

> Wouldn't crushing nuts leave you with nut paste rather than nut flour?

Nope, not if you 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or for
too long.

> Any tips, hints, or boringly detailed instructions on how to grind wet
> ingredients so that they don't end up as pastes?

If you consider things like garlic and ginger (and other stuff) to be
'wet' then it's just a case of 'eyballing' it; simply stop grinding
it before it turns into paste.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-12, ChattyCathy > wrote:

>> Wouldn't crushing nuts leave you with nut paste rather than nut flour?

> Nope, not if you 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or for
> too long.

Don't hit 'em at all. I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell. I don't
know if rolling works for all nuts, but it's definitely superior for
peanuts. Larger more uniform pieces and less powder from rolling.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 16:35:37 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2008-05-12, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>>> Wouldn't crushing nuts leave you with nut paste rather than nut flour?

>> Nope, not if you 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or for
>> too long.

> Don't hit 'em at all. I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell. I don't
> know if rolling works for all nuts, but it's definitely superior for
> peanuts. Larger more uniform pieces and less powder from rolling.

OK. Roll 'em <lol>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who doesn't own any 8lb chrome dumbells

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2008-05-12, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
>>> Wouldn't crushing nuts leave you with nut paste rather than nut flour?

>> Nope, not if you 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or
>> for
>> too long.

> Don't hit 'em at all. I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell. I don't
> know if rolling works for all nuts, but it's definitely superior for
> peanuts. Larger more uniform pieces and less powder from rolling.

When I got married a couple of years ago, the wife came equipped with a
'food chopper', a spring loaded device with plunger and a removable bottom
cup. Most likely a Ronco device as she likes to shop QVC.

This does really well with nuts and makes very little dust. Really easy to
clean, too. The body of the chopper is hinged in 2 pieces at the top and
everything else unscrews for cleaning. I've bought these types of choppers
before and they never quite lived up to their potential. This one does quite
a decent job.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ChattyCathy > wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

My father got us one a few decades ago. I wasn't enthusiastic at the
time, but it's really great for very small quantities. Whole spices
keep their flavor much better, but also don't give it up very quickly in
cooking. I especially like my M&P for rosemary and fennel. I generally
don't clean it, which is what I like best. At most, a gentle swish with
a paper towel (or my fingers). This wouldn't work well for garlic or
ginger, though.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> notbob wrote:

> >> 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or for too long.

> > I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell.

> OK. Roll 'em <lol>

Sadists!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 09:58:48 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>> > I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell.

>> OK. Roll 'em <lol>

> Sadists!

ROFL

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> > http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> My father got us one a few decades ago. I wasn't enthusiastic at the
> time, but it's really great for very small quantities. Whole spices
> keep their flavor much better, but also don't give it up very quickly in
> cooking. I especially like my M&P for rosemary and fennel. I generally
> don't clean it, which is what I like best. At most, a gentle swish with
> a paper towel (or my fingers). This wouldn't work well for garlic or
> ginger, though.

I got one a few years ago and use it 2-3 times a month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:44:53 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My
>>> category was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once but
>>> I don't remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one (?) I
>>> will discard it immediately.

>> <veg> The question did ask if you 'currently' owned one.
>>
>> Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

>I'll bet it's useful. I've always wanted one, but never purchased one. I
>think I'm going to have to. It's got to be great for mashing garlic!
>
>kili

or making a salt/garlic paste. or to make small amounts of ground
spice from whole. they're cheap, and do what they do very well.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zeppo" wrote:

> >> 'go easy' i.e. just don't hit the nuts *too* hard, or
> >> fo too long.

> > I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell.

> When I got married a couple of years ago, the wife came
> equipped with a 'food chopper', a spring loaded device with
> plunger and a removable bottom cup.

I woulda run for my life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

Oops, I replied to this survey on the previous
survey, accidentally. What a dodo! Senility
is setting in fast. (see meat/fish/poultry header)
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> "Zeppo" wrote:

> > > I roll nuts using an 8lb chrome dumbell.

> > When I got married a couple of years ago, the wife came
> > equipped with a 'food chopper', a spring loaded device with
> > plunger and a removable bottom cup.

> I woulda run for my life.

That's actually the new Cyberpussy Kozmic Kontraceptive Device, it's
designed to stick over her uterus *and* her mouth...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:

>> > When I got married a couple of years ago, the wife came
>> > equipped with a 'food chopper', a spring loaded device with
>> > plunger and a removable bottom cup.

>> I woulda run for my life.

> That's actually the new Cyberpussy Kozmic Kontraceptive Device, it's
> designed to stick over her uterus *and* her mouth...

Ouch!

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I use mine a lot, to pulverize spices, but I just got a free mini
coffee mill that I plan to dedicate to grinding spices when I don't
feel like doing it by hand.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:40:24 -0700, Serene >
wrote:

>ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>I use mine a lot, to pulverize spices, but I just got a free mini
>coffee mill that I plan to dedicate to grinding spices when I don't
>feel like doing it by hand.
>
>Serene

i am quite sure you will like it.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> It will be interesting to look at the quiz in a few hours. My
>>> category was not mentioned since I had a mortar and pestle once but
>>> I don't remember if I ever discarded it. If I still have one (?) I
>>> will discard it immediately.

>> <veg> The question did ask if you 'currently' owned one.
>>
>> Each to their own, I guess. I find ours extremely useful..

> I'll bet it's useful. I've always wanted one, but never purchased one. I
> think I'm going to have to. It's got to be great for mashing garlic!
>
> kili

I'm way behind, had to have my hard drive replaced & lost everything
& was without a computer for almost 2 weeks.
Anyway, I found a nice medium size marble one at TJMaxx pretty cheap.
I also found a tiny decorative one there (I just saw a jam pot that matches)
& a bamboo one at Bealls outlet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> nobody but us chickens wrote:
>>
>> I'm way behind, had to have my hard drive replaced & lost everything
>> & was without a computer for almost 2 weeks.
>> Anyway, I found a nice medium size marble one at TJMaxx pretty cheap.
>> I also found a tiny decorative one there (I just saw a jam pot that
>> matches) & a bamboo one at Bealls outlet.

> Sorry to hear about your hard drive crashes; I just went through 3 of
> those in the past month (remind me not to purchase or use *used* drives)
> and lost a few things.
>
> We don't have a TJ Maxx, but we do have a Bealls Outlet! I always forget
> about that place and they've got *wonderful* kitchen things! It's even
> here in Zipperhell, too, believe it or not. It's rather
> off-the-beaten-path, so that's why I never think of it. I am going to
> look for one, there. Thanks *so* much for the reminder of Bealls Outlet.
> :~)
>
> kili

I'd been wanting one but always hoped to find one really cheap at a thrift
store. The ones I found were pretty inexpensive. I can always find nice
inexpensive stuff at TJmaxx, a while back I got both a square & rectangle
springform pan from Germany & a Henckels knife. I also bought a little hive
shaped honey pot, a clearance bamboo cutting board set & a 3 individual
pieces of Beatrix Potter Peter Rabbit Wedgewood. I was looking at some new
Kitchenaid things they got in that are red & pink. I don't NEED (nor have
room for) a pink salad spinner or box grater but....