Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mortar and Pestle

I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
and the large mortar captures any that get past the
pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Try this site:
> http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
>
> I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
> They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
> like what you're looking for.

None of those are exactly what I saw on TV,
but the close fit type do look functionally
similar. They sure offer a huge range of
styles. I already have three, but none of
them are good for pepper. It looks like
I'll need another one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
> Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
> and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
> never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
> that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
> everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
> It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
> compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
> This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
> The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
> and the large mortar captures any that get past the
> pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.

We use a brass mortar and pestle somewhat like this:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tar+and+pestle
On ours the pestle is larger and the bowl is narrower. I can't find it on
the Internet. I don't have any problem with pepper, allspice, or clove.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> On Sun 21 Mar 2010 02:59:48p, Mark Thorson wrote in rec.food.cooking
> >:
>
> > I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
> > Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
> > and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
> > never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
> > that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
> > everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
> > It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
> > compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
> > This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
> > The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
> > and the large mortar captures any that get past the
> > pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.
> >

> Try this site:
> http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
>
> I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
> They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
> like what you're looking for.

Damn nice site, thanks!
I have one of those little 4" close fit ones. It's good for fine
grinding small amounts of dried basil leaves (I sometimes dry my own) or
things like celery seeds.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
> Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
> and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
> never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
> that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
> everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
> It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
> compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
> This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
> The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
> and the large mortar captures any that get past the
> pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.

Indeed. Can be a bit of a pita trying to grind peppercorns, also
coriander seeds.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On Sun 21 Mar 2010 02:59:48p, Mark Thorson wrote in rec.food.cooking
> >:
>
>> I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
>> Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
>> and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
>> never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
>> that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
>> everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
>> It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
>> compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
>> This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
>> The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
>> and the large mortar captures any that get past the
>> pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.
>>

> Try this site:
> http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
>
> I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
> They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
> like what you're looking for.

Wow... I've never seen such variety in mortar and pestles. Prices are
very cheap as well!
Of course, they only ship within the U.S... Still, it's given me the
impetus to look around for a better mortar and pestle

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-22, Jeßus > wrote:

> Of course, they only ship within the U.S... Still, it's given me the
> impetus to look around for a better mortar and pestle

Check these out:

http://importfood.com/mortarpestle.html

They rock! (chortle)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Sun 21 Mar 2010 02:59:48p, Mark Thorson wrote in rec.food.cooking
> >:
>
>> I'm watching a Spanish-language cooking show right now,
>> Gourmet Light, and the host has an interesting mortar
>> and pestle he is using to grind black pepper. I've
>> never found a mortar and pestle to be very good for
>> that, because the spherical seeds pop out and go
>> everywhere, but his mortar and pestle is unusual.
>> It's almost cone shaped, and the pestle is large
>> compared to the mortar, so that it barely fits.
>> This seems to be key to using it for black pepper.
>> The pestle is blocking the pepper seeds from escaping,
>> and the large mortar captures any that get past the
>> pestle. I wish I knew where to buy a set like that.
>>

> Try this site:
> http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
>
> I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
> They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
> like what you're looking for.

There are 200 on there. Which one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-22, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I am wondering if this one, from the same site, is what Mark was
> talking about?
> http://importfood.com/claymortarpestle.html

I thought of that, too. I had one of those at one time. As the
pestle is made of wood, they are only good fer pounding plant stuffs.
I used mine for making grn curry. Not as practical as the granite
ones.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Cheryl wrote:
> >
> > Try this site:
> > http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
> >
> > I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
> > They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
> > like what you're looking for.

> None of those are exactly what I saw on TV,
> but the close fit type do look functionally
> similar. They sure offer a huge range of
> styles. I already have three, but none of
> them are good for pepper. It looks like
> I'll need another one.

Have you considered one of these?

<http://tinyurl.com/yg7cuub>

I use one for my 5 color pepper and I love it.

Why use a mortar and pestle for pepper when dedicated grinders are
plentiful? I do use my two marble mortar and pestles for herbs and
small seeds, but I see no reason to use it for pepper...
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I am wondering if this one, from the same site, is what Mark was
> talking about?
> http://importfood.com/claymortarpestle.html

No, the one I saw appeared to be ceramic, and
the pestle was larger in relation to the mortar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 12:45:52 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Try this site:
>> http://www.fantes.com/mortar-pestle.html
>>
>> I ordered one from them and they are super super fast at shipping.
>> They have some mortar and pestle they call "close fit" that looks
>> like what you're looking for.

> None of those are exactly what I saw on TV,
> but the close fit type do look functionally
> similar. They sure offer a huge range of
> styles. I already have three, but none of
> them are good for pepper. It looks like
> I'll need another one.

my mortar is pretty small (about four inches across). i find with whole
black peppercorns, you sort of keep your left hand loosely over the top
while holding the mortar while you pound enough with the pestle in your
right hand to crack the pepper a little bit. then you can resume your
normal movements to get a finer grind without it flying all over the place.

not sure if i made that clear, but i hope you get the idea.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> my mortar is pretty small (about four inches across). i find with whole
> black peppercorns, you sort of keep your left hand loosely over the top
> while holding the mortar while you pound enough with the pestle in your
> right hand to crack the pepper a little bit. then you can resume your
> normal movements to get a finer grind without it flying all over the place.
>
> not sure if i made that clear, but i hope you get the idea.

Mine is about the same size, I don't have a problem with things like
pepper corns jumping out. Use the pestle gently to crush them rather
than like a jack hammer that will send the little pellets flying off in
all directions. If you start in the middle and grind then straight down
the pieces in the middle crack, getting rid of those rounded edges that
make them prone to flying out. As they break down they are even less
likely to fly.

For those who would rather use a lot of force and grind stuff at high
speed there is Jamie Oliver's Flavour Shaker. It has a two part screw on
container into which you put the things you want crush, insert the
ceramic ball, put the top on and shake. I have one. It works, but I
rarely us it. I find the mortar and pestle easier.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/flavourshaker
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> my mortar is pretty small (about four inches across). i find with whole
> black peppercorns, you sort of keep your left hand loosely over the top
> while holding the mortar while you pound enough with the pestle in your
> right hand to crack the pepper a little bit. then you can resume your
> normal movements to get a finer grind without it flying all over the place.
>
> not sure if i made that clear, but i hope you get the idea.

That's pretty much what I do, and it doesn't
work well. It takes a fair amount of force to
crush a peppercorn, and when it goes, other
peppercorns go flying out. It's hard to apply
force and cover the mortar at the same time.
And until the last one is crushed, they act like
ball bearings and prevent much progress from
being made in further reducing the particle size.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-03-22, > wrote:
>
>> Of course, they only ship within the U.S... Still, it's given me the
>> impetus to look around for a better mortar and pestle

> Check these out:
>
> http://importfood.com/mortarpestle.html
>
> They rock! (chortle)

Sigh... thanks

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-24, Jeßus > wrote:
> notbob wrote:

>> They rock! (chortle)

> Sigh... thanks

No seriously, probably the most practical of all M&Ps. Several ppl
here have them and all agree. The pestle is heavy enough you don't
need to kill youself doing the job. Takes hard seeds like pepper and
anise and caraway right down to powder if that's what you want.
They'll never wear out or break, you'll never lose one, they're too
heavy to steal... perfect for inflicting blunt force trauma on a loved
one! Very handy.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-03-24, Christine Dabney > wrote:

> On No Reservations last night, Bourdain watched a woman from Provence
> make aioli in one.

Julia C liked to make her aioli in a big ol' brass M&P she had.
Sucker was huge! Looked like it held a quart and weighed as much as
one of these bigger Thai granite M&Ps. I think she used if more for
sentimental reasons than anything practical, it being a gift as I
recall.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:55:54 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On No Reservations last night, Bourdain watched a woman from Provence
> make aioli in one.
> I want to try that..... I have my large one here..and my small one is
> packed up for the road....

No thanks, too much work! I'll stick with my food processor to make
aioli.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2010-03-24, > wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> They rock! (chortle)

>> Sigh... thanks

> No seriously, probably the most practical of all M&Ps. Several ppl
> here have them and all agree. The pestle is heavy enough you don't
> need to kill youself doing the job. Takes hard seeds like pepper and
> anise and caraway right down to powder if that's what you want.
> They'll never wear out or break, you'll never lose one, they're too
> heavy to steal... perfect for inflicting blunt force trauma on a loved
> one! Very handy.

I'm not sure what my M&P is made of. I suspect some sort of mixture like
cement
The only one I could find at the time... mind you, it's nice and heavy
and seems to do the job.
Mind you, some of the ones at that URL do look good and I wouldn't mind
a 'better' one.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw