John.D

Default Mortar & Pestle. Hints pls.

Hi there. Just found this NG and have a question for those who'd know ...

I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver) and was
wondering if there was any preparation required before I start using it.
Should I oil it or something ?

Thanks
John

jmcquown

John.D wrote:
> Hi there. Just found this NG and have a question for those who'd know
>
> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver)
> and was wondering if there was any preparation required before I
> start using it. Should I oil it or something ?
>
> Thanks
> John

I don't suppose it came with a bit of paper known as instructions? I don't
know about granite ones; mine is marble. Needed no preparation.

Jill

PENMART01

"jmcquown" writes:

>John.D wrote:
>>
>> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver)
>> and was wondering if there was any preparation required before I
>> start using it. Should I oil it or something ?

What do you have in mind for that pestle that you're eager to apply oil?

Scrub with plain hot water and a stiff brush, never any soap... clean the same
after each use unless you enjoy the stench of rotting herbs... if an offensive
odor develops grind a handful of salt.

Good info: http://importfood.com/mortarpestle.html

Pounding with a pestle should always be done with food in the mortar. If a
woman pounds the pestle into an empty mortar, Thai superstition has it that her
breasts will stretch to the ground... ask Jill! <G>

>I don't suppose it came with a bit of paper known as instructions? I don't
>know about granite ones; mine is marble. Needed no preparation.
>
>Jill

Whew... good thing yours are alabaster, yours will be forever perky.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
> "jmcquown" writes:
>
>> John.D wrote:
>>>
>>> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver)
>>> and was wondering if there was any preparation >

(snip)
Whew... good thing yours are alabaster, yours will be forever perky.

> Sheldon
> ````````````

Luckily, I don't have oversized alabaster so never fear them sinking to the
ground! LOL

Reg

John.D wrote:

> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver) and was
> wondering if there was any preparation required before I start using it.
> Should I oil it or something ?

No need to oil or otherwise "season" it. For cleanup soap and
water is fine.

This is a piece of equipment that doesn't need to be babied, believe me.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "John.D"
> wrote:

> Hi there. Just found this NG and have a question for those who'd know
>
> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver)
> and was wondering if there was any preparation required before I
> start using it. Should I oil it or something ?

> Thanks
> John

http://www.templeofthai.com/mortar_p...ar_pestle.html

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/thaimortarpestle.htm

They indicate that it just needs rinsing after use; in the absence of
any special instructions for before-use care, I'd just wash it up and
give it a go! Good luck! -Barb
--
-Barb
12-23-03: Tourtiere pictures and recipe have been
jP

Actually, the very website you pointed out below (about halfway down the
page in response to a customer question) says to use mild soap and warm
water as opposed to "never any soap".

....[question]..."I just want to know if that's the right way to do it.
Thanks a lot. Our Response: Thanks for your support, Matt! To clean, just
wash with mild soap and warm water--that's it!"

"PENMART01" > wrote in message

> Scrub with plain hot water and a stiff brush, never any soap...

> Good info: http://importfood.com/mortarpestle.html

PENMART01

In article >, "jP" > writes:

>Actually, the very website you pointed out below (about halfway down the
>page in response to a customer question) says to use mild soap and warm
>water as opposed to "never any soap".

I would never use soap to clean a natural stone mortar, that's me... natually
you do as you choose.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> John.D wrote:
> > Hi there. Just found this NG and have a question for those who'd know
> >
> > I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver)
> > and was wondering if there was any preparation required before I
> > start using it. Should I oil it or something ?
> >
> > Thanks
> > John

> I don't suppose it came with a bit of paper known as instructions? I don't
> know about granite ones; mine is marble. Needed no preparation.
>
> Jill

If I were he, I'd go ahead and get some dry corn, and grind it well with
it then toss it into the bird feeder or garbage. This will get all the
fine stone to break off that is going to. Don't oil it!!! Everything
will stick.

I clean mine with a soft brush and dish soap.

I use it for preliminary grinding of coarse dried herbs, and I've also
used one for grinding resins for incense, but I have to clean it with
alcohol after I do that, and I reserve one grinder for incense and one
for food. I don't use one for the other due to the aromatics involved.

The are great for chunky dried foods too, such as dried lotus root.

K.

--
^ ^ Cat's Haven Hobby Farm ^ ^ ^ ^
>,,< >,,< >,,<

John.D

Default Mortar & Pestle. Thanks

ta all.

blake murphy

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 15:04:28 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>John.D wrote:
>
>> I've recently bought a granite mortar and pestle (a la Jamie Oliver) and was
>> wondering if there was any preparation required before I start using it.
>> Should I oil it or something ?

>No need to oil or otherwise "season" it. For cleanup soap and
>water is fine.
>
>This is a piece of equipment that doesn't need to be babied, believe me.

i'll throw in with reg on this. i have a small m&p, unglazed and sorta
rough (except the outside of the mortar). it takes abuse pretty well.

your pal,
blake