Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit for Ice Cream Flavors-need advice

Hello all,
As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
appreciated.

Darren
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Darren" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.
>

> Darren

My favorites:
Blackberry
Raspberry & black raspberry
Marionberry
Strawberry
Black cherry
Morello cherry
Passionfruit
Peach
Pineapple
Lime

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Darren > wrote:

> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.

Just about anything, actually. Experiment!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Darren wrote:
> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.

Peach, apricot, nectarine, cantaloupe, mint, mango,
cranberry, kiwi, all kinds of berries.

Watery fruit like watermelon and citrus makes better
sherbet/sorbet.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kimberly listed:

>> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
>> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
>> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
>> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
>> appreciated.
>>

> My favorites:
> Blackberry
> Raspberry & black raspberry
> Marionberry
> Strawberry
> Black cherry
> Morello cherry
> Passionfruit
> Peach
> Pineapple
> Lime

Melons: Ambrosia melon makes a *wonderful* ice cream. I'll be making
honeydew ice cream this weekend. Watermelon purée mixed with a tiny bit of
lime juice is a good base for a granita (though you won't need the ice-cream
maker for that).

Grapes or wine: Sorbet made from Gewurztraminer grape juice is awesome. I
made a port/rosemary sorbet earlier this year as an intermezzo in a special
dinner.

Blueberry gelato can be sublime.

Rainier cherries (the big gold-and-red ones) or Bing cherries go well in a
very eggy frozen custard; it's kind of like a frozen clafouti. Same thing
with almost all plums, peaches, and nectarines.

Further afield, are you adventurous enough to try avocado ice cream?
Sweet-corn ice cream? Carrot ice cream? They can all be made, though it's a
matter of personal taste as to whether you'll *like* them or not.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Darren wrote:
> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.

Blueberry & Blackberry
Blueberry & Coconut
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:27:43 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Kimberly listed:
>
>>> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>>> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>>> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
>>> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
>>> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
>>> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> My favorites:
>> Blackberry
>> Raspberry & black raspberry
>> Marionberry
>> Strawberry
>> Black cherry
>> Morello cherry
>> Passionfruit
>> Peach
>> Pineapple
>> Lime

>Melons:
>
>Grapes or wine:
>
>Blueberry gelato can be sublime.
>
>Rainier cherries (the big gold-and-red ones) or Bing cherries go well in a
>very eggy frozen custard; it's kind of like a frozen clafouti. Same thing
>with almost all plums, peaches, and nectarines.
>
>Further afield, are you adventurous enough to try avocado ice cream?
>Sweet-corn ice cream? Carrot ice cream? They can all be made, though it's a
>matter of personal taste as to whether you'll *like* them or not.
>

>Bob

For both of you...since I am tagging onto this post... Get the book
The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz. Some incredible ice creams in
there...

Plus his website...
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/
http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archive.../recipe_links/

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in :

> "Darren" > wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and

Pineapple-
>> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
>> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
>> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
>> appreciated.
>>

>> Darren

> My favorites:
> Blackberry
> Raspberry & black raspberry
> Marionberry
> Strawberry
> Black cherry
> Morello cherry
> Passionfruit
> Peach
> Pineapple
> Lime
>

> kimberly

raspberry & lime

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 09 May 2008 10:20:13p, hahabogus told us...

> "Nexis" > wrote in :
>

>> "Darren" > wrote in message
>>> Hello all,
>>> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>>> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>>> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and
>>> Pineapple- Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are
>>> good for making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe
>>> blueberry or raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any
>>> ideas appreciated.
>>>

>>> Darren

>> My favorites:
>> Blackberry
>> Raspberry & black raspberry
>> Marionberry
>> Strawberry
>> Black cherry
>> Morello cherry
>> Passionfruit
>> Peach
>> Pineapple
>> Lime
>>

>> kimberly
>>

> raspberry & lime

raspberry & bittersweet chocolate

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 05(V)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

@newsfe15.phx:

>>> "Darren" > wrote in message

8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

(I

>>> My favorites:
>>> Blackberry
>>> Raspberry & black raspberry
>>> Marionberry
>>> Strawberry
>>> Black cherry
>>> Morello cherry
>>> Passionfruit
>>> Peach
>>> Pineapple
>>> Lime
>>>

>>> kimberly
>>>

>> raspberry & lime
>>

> raspberry & bittersweet chocolate

bittersweet chocolate and chopped cherries

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
:

> Rainier cherries (the big gold-and-red ones) or Bing
> cherries go well in a very eggy frozen custard; it's kind
> of like a frozen clafouti.

Bob, do you have a recipe? i have 5 pounds of frozen Bings &
promised ice cream to one of the vendors at NH Sheep & Wool
for tomorrow (Sun)... & beer. Maple & Scarborough Faire
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Darren wrote:

> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.

I trust that you sometimes venture into making gelato, and mango makes a
great gelato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 May 2008 13:50:42 -0700 (PDT), Darren
> wrote:

>Hello all,
>As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
>Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
>making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
>raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
>appreciated.

Peach ice cream is delicious. I also love banana ice cream. I once
ate some pear ice cream and it was amazing -- it had that slight
graininess that you find in a pear. Maybe you could try oranges or
orange juice for a creamsicle flavor. I can't think of any fruit
that wouldn't taste good in ice cream.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 9 May 2008 19:27:43 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Further afield, are you adventurous enough to try avocado ice cream?
>Sweet-corn ice cream? Carrot ice cream? They can all be made, though it's a

Carrot ice cream sounds interesting. When I was little, I loved
pumpkin ice cream.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 May 2008 09:44:55a, Tara told us...

> On Fri, 9 May 2008 13:50:42 -0700 (PDT), Darren
> > wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
>>can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
>>Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
>>Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
>>making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
>>raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas appreciated.

> Peach ice cream is delicious. I also love banana ice cream. I once
> ate some pear ice cream and it was amazing -- it had that slight
> graininess that you find in a pear. Maybe you could try oranges or
> orange juice for a creamsicle flavor. I can't think of any fruit
> that wouldn't taste good in ice cream.
>
> Tara

Tangerine ice cream or sorbet, either one, is delicious and quite different
from orange.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Darren wrote:

> Hello all,
> As warm weather approaches, I'll be dusting off my ice-cream maker (I
> can't eat ice-cream in cold weather!). Last year I succesfully made
> Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream, and Pineapple-
> Cocunut Ice Cream. My question is, what other fruits are good for
> making ice-cream? Peaches, I would think, and maybe blueberry or
> raspberry? Any others that I may be overlooking? Any ideas
> appreciated.
>
> Darren

Any ripe tropical fruit will work fine. Miss the varied kulfis used to
get in London; just about every fruit flavour imaginable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lee replied:

>> Rainier cherries (the big gold-and-red ones) or Bing
>> cherries go well in a very eggy frozen custard; it's kind
>> of like a frozen clafouti.

> Bob, do you have a recipe? i have 5 pounds of frozen Bings &
> promised ice cream to one of the vendors at NH Sheep & Wool
> for tomorrow (Sun)... & beer. Maple & Scarborough Faire

First, halve and pit the cherries. Sprinkle them with sugar and a tiny bit
of salt. Allow to sit for at least half an hour. Drain off the juice and
reduce it to a syrup in the microwave.

Then make this ice cream:

http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/0...ice-cream.html

Add the reduced cherry juice and a teaspoon of vanilla extract before
churning. When the ice cream reaches the soft-serve stage, stir in the
cherries and then freeze to harden.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Fri 09 May 2008 10:20:13p, hahabogus told us...

>>> My favorites:
>>> Blackberry
>>> Raspberry & black raspberry
>>> Marionberry
>>> Strawberry
>>> Black cherry
>>> Morello cherry
>>> Passionfruit
>>> Peach
>>> Pineapple
>>> Lime
>>>

>>> kimberly
>>>

>> raspberry & lime
>>

> raspberry & bittersweet chocolate
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,
Sounds like you'd have enjoyed the gelato we made recently! There is a stand near my
mom's place where we like to get strawberries...always good. Then a few weeks back we
went to get some and he had the most amazing smelling raspberries, just picked about
and hour before we arrived. You could smell them the minute we opened the truck
doors! We went home, pulled out some raspberry puree I'd made for waffles, and made
gelato with the fresh berries and the puree. About 1/2 way through the time it was to
be in the ice cream maker, just after it was beginning to look like soft-serve, I
drizzled in melted bittersweet chocolate, so it made "flakes" of chocolate
throughout. It was the best gelato I've ever made!

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 11 May 2008 05:24:09p, Nexis told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Fri 09 May 2008 10:20:13p, hahabogus told us...
>>
>>> "Nexis" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> raspberry & lime
>>>

>> raspberry & bittersweet chocolate
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
> Sounds like you'd have enjoyed the gelato we made recently! There is a
> stand near my mom's place where we like to get strawberries...always
> good. Then a few weeks back we went to get some and he had the most
> amazing smelling raspberries, just picked about and hour before we
> arrived. You could smell them the minute we opened the truck doors! We
> went home, pulled out some raspberry puree I'd made for waffles, and
> made gelato with the fresh berries and the puree. About 1/2 way through
> the time it was to be in the ice cream maker, just after it was
> beginning to look like soft-serve, I drizzled in melted bittersweet
> chocolate, so it made "flakes" of chocolate throughout. It was the best
> gelato I've ever made!
>
> kimberly

I would have loved it! It sounds wonderful, and I've saved your technique
to use the next time are are nice raspberries around. Thanks, Kimberly!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Today I bought a limited edition of Edy's ... coconut pineapple.

Tasty stuff. I've never had coconut ice cream before.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
:

> Lee replied:
>
>>> Rainier cherries (the big gold-and-red ones) or Bing
>>> cherries go well in a very eggy frozen custard; it's kind
>>> of like a frozen clafouti.

>> Bob, do you have a recipe? i have 5 pounds of frozen Bings
>> & promised ice cream to one of the vendors at NH Sheep &
>> Wool for tomorrow (Sun)... & beer. Maple & Scarborough
>> Faire

> First, halve and pit the cherries. Sprinkle them with sugar
> and a tiny bit of salt. Allow to sit for at least half an
> hour. Drain off the juice and reduce it to a syrup in the
> microwave.
>
> Then make this ice cream:
>
> http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-project-egg-
> ice-cream.html
>
> Add the reduced cherry juice and a teaspoon of vanilla
> extract before churning. When the ice cream reaches the
> soft-serve stage, stir in the cherries and then freeze to
> harden.

that looks good (especially with the chickens laying 12-14
eggs/day!).
now, anyone have a good recipe or two for using up the
whites?

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 11 May 2008 06:02:23p, Nancy Young told us...

> Today I bought a limited edition of Edy's ... coconut pineapple.
>
> Tasty stuff. I've never had coconut ice cream before.
>
> nancy

I love that flavor combination.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Mother's Day, Pentecost
Countdown till Memorial Day
2wks 5hrs 40mins
Dead puppies aren't much fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 11 May 2008 06:10:45p, enigma told us...

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Lee replied:

>>> Bob, do you have a recipe? i have 5 pounds of frozen Bings
>>> & promised ice cream to one of the vendors at NH Sheep &
>>> Wool for tomorrow (Sun)... & beer. Maple & Scarborough
>>> Faire

>> First, halve and pit the cherries. Sprinkle them with sugar
>> and a tiny bit of salt. Allow to sit for at least half an
>> hour. Drain off the juice and reduce it to a syrup in the microwave.
>>
>> Then make this ice cream:
>>
>> http://haverchuk.blogspot.com/2006/0...m-project-egg-
>> ice-cream.html
>>
>> Add the reduced cherry juice and a teaspoon of vanilla
>> extract before churning. When the ice cream reaches the
>> soft-serve stage, stir in the cherries and then freeze to harden.

> that looks good (especially with the chickens laying 12-14
> eggs/day!).
> now, anyone have a good recipe or two for using up the
> whites?
>
> lee

Pavlova, an Australian dessert. Many recipes out there, but here's one:

4 Egg whites
1 tb Vinegar
1 c Sugar, castor (superfine)
Cornflour

With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then
gradually add the sugar (about 1 t every 30 seconds). This will take around
15 minutes. Beat until firm. Add the vinegar. When combined, turn out onto
a flat baking sheet that has been greased and dusted with cornflour. Shape
it so that there will be a hollow in the centre to hold the fruit. Cook in
a pre-heated, warm oven (350-375 degrees F.) for 10 minutes, then at 200-
250 degrees F. for 40-50 mins. When cooked, turn the oven off and allow to
cool slowly in the oven for at least an hour, preferably overnight. Gradual
cooling is important. Serve cold, topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit
such as strawberries, bananas and kiwi fruit.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 05(V)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Mother's Day, Pentecost
Countdown till Memorial Day
2wks 5hrs 30mins
'It's deja vu all over again.' - Yogi Berra

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> Pavlova, an Australian dessert. Many recipes out there,
> but here's one:
>
> 4 Egg whites
> 1 tb Vinegar
> 1 c Sugar, castor (superfine)
> Cornflour

ok, having never seen castor sugar out here in the
hinterlands (i know King Arthur carries it, but it's not time
for an order yet), can i substitute regular white sugar? or
somehow make it more like castor sugar, by using a blender or
food processor?
and cornflour is cornstarch, correct? (because i do have corn
flour for making tortillas).
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 04:52:30a, enigma told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> 3.184:
>
>> Pavlova, an Australian dessert. Many recipes out there, but here's
>> one:
>>
>> 4 Egg whites
>> 1 tb Vinegar
>> 1 c Sugar, castor (superfine)
>> Cornflour

> ok, having never seen castor sugar out here in the
> hinterlands (i know King Arthur carries it, but it's not time
> for an order yet), can i substitute regular white sugar? or
> somehow make it more like castor sugar, by using a blender or
> food processor?
> and cornflour is cornstarch, correct? (because i do have corn
> flour for making tortillas).
> lee

A lot of US supermarkets are now carrying what is labled "baking sugar".
This is same thing as castor sugar. You can, of course, substitute regular
white granulated sugar and give a good whirl in the food processor. Works
just as well.

Yes, cornflour and cornstarch is the same thing. However, don't use use
"masa" in tortillas? You cannot substitute that. Cornstarch is extremely
fine, like a powder, and snow white. Not the same as masa. Your
supermarket should have cornstarch, though, usually in the baking section
near the baking powder and flour.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Using up egg whites

enigma asked:

> anyone have a good recipe or two for using up the whites?

I agree with the pavlova suggestion; I like LadyJane's recipe because it's
made in a springform pan:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...95bcf0d63c0de9

I also like macaroons; in fact, I had them just a few days ago.

My recipe for chiles rellenos calls for more egg whites than yolks, so
that's a good way to use up *some* of the egg whites. A soufflé is another
good way; I made pear soufflés when we had some pears which were getting
overripe and a few extra egg whites in the fridge. You can use a single egg
white beaten with water as the sealant for ravioli or potstickers. Or you
can make "chicken velvet," which is a mixture of ground chicken, chicken
stock, seasonings, and beaten egg whites, formed into little balls and
deep-fried as an appetizer or soup garnish. (Of course, you can do the same
thing with tuna, shrimp, catfish, or whatever you like.)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 7:21*am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > dropped :in rec.food.cooking
>
> > My recipe for chiles rellenos calls for more egg whites than yolks, so
> > that's a good way to use up *some* of the egg whites. A soufflé is
> > another good way; I made pear soufflés when we had some pears which
> > were getting overripe and a few extra egg whites in the fridge. You
> > can use a single egg white beaten with water as the sealant for
> > ravioli or potstickers. Or you can make "chicken velvet," which is a
> > mixture of ground chicken, chicken stock, seasonings, and beaten egg
> > whites, formed into little balls and deep-fried as an appetizer or
> > soup garnish. (Of course, you can do the same thing with tuna, shrimp,
> > catfish, or whatever you like.)

> Hey Bob! *What cheese do you use with
> your chiles rellenos? *I bought some
> chihuahua cheese at a farmer's market.

I pity the Mexicans whose job it is to milk those little
bitches. My grandmother had a chihuahua, and it was so mean that she
had to lock it up when we came to visit. It bit the gas meter reader
once.

> Michael

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:42:17 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>enigma asked:
>
>> anyone have a good recipe or two for using up the whites?

>I agree with the pavlova suggestion; I like LadyJane's recipe because it's
>made in a springform pan:
>
>http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...95bcf0d63c0de9
>
>I also like macaroons; in fact, I had them just a few days ago.
>
>My recipe for chiles rellenos calls for more egg whites than yolks, so
>that's a good way to use up *some* of the egg whites. A soufflé is another
>good way; I made pear soufflés when we had some pears which were getting
>overripe and a few extra egg whites in the fridge. You can use a single egg
>white beaten with water as the sealant for ravioli or potstickers. Or you
>can make "chicken velvet," which is a mixture of ground chicken, chicken
>stock, seasonings, and beaten egg whites, formed into little balls and
>deep-fried as an appetizer or soup garnish. (Of course, you can do the same
>thing with tuna, shrimp, catfish, or whatever you like.)

Hmmm...

I make fried tuna cakes every couple of weeks, and have been using a
whole egg (or two) for a binder. Egg whites alone would be just as
good. Thanks!

(I go through a lot of yolks making home-made pudding.)

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael asked:

> Hey Bob! What cheese do you use with your chiles rellenos? I bought some
> chihuahua cheese at a farmer's market. I intend to make chiles rellenos
> in the very near future and I've never made them before.

I generally just use whatever I have on hand. I've used Oaxaca cheese, a
mixture of enchilada cheese and cream cheese, and a mixture of Cheddar
cheese and cream cheese, all to good effect. I would expect chihuahua cheese
to be very good in chiles rellenos.

Of course, chiles rellenos don't *have* to be stuffed with cheese. If I'm
making them as a main dish I'll stuff them with something like chicken
picadillo or beef picadillo. In that case, the chiles are just a kind of
stuffing-holder, and there's plenty of scope for creativity with the
stuffing.

Bob

Usual flavors of ice cream Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 27 20-06-2012 01:11 AM
Experiements in Ice Cream and Marinades - Seeking Intense Flavors Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 24 09-06-2011 03:31 PM
Fruit & Cream Pastry Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-12-2005 03:50 AM
Bryers -Klondike new flavors ice cream Peanutjake Diabetic 2 28-09-2004 10:59 PM
Bryers -Klondike new flavors ice cream Colleen Diabetic 4 11-02-2004 12:18 AM