Posted to alt.slack,alt.life.sucks,alt.fan.cecil-adams,alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.usenet.kooks,rec.food.cooking

Default ((( Taco Trucks Threatened in L.A. Sign Petition Now! )))

http://saveourtacotrucks.org/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 21, 2:42*pm, "Nick Nuclear" >
wrote:
> http://saveourtacotrucks.org/

[cross postings deleted, though some are interesting]

Last week the County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that
would make it a misdemeanor for a taco truck to park in one location
longer than an hour. Penalties up to some significant amount, either
$1000 or $5000, I forget. The ordinance applies only in
unincorporated areas of the country, not in any of the cities. That
includes East L.A., one of the large latino areas where there are many
taco trucks and many Mexican restaurants. As you might imagine, the
law is the result of complaints by the restaurant owners who say they
can't compete with the trucks' prices.

Seems to me the restaurant owners and the supervisors are wrong. The
"dining experience" at a truck is different from a restaurant, and if
the trucks left I wouldn't bet that nearby restaurants would suddenly
do all the business that was going to the trucks. So everybody is
losing here, not to mention the question of whether this is the kind
of government people want. And not to mention that some the trucks
serve great food.

The link given is to sign a petition. I don't know if signatures from
people not from east L.A. will matter.... -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 7:43*pm, aem > wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2:42*pm, "Nick Nuclear" >
> wrote:
>
> >http://saveourtacotrucks.org/

> [cross postings deleted, though some are interesting]
>
> Last week the County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that
> would make it a misdemeanor for a taco truck to park in one location
> longer than an hour. *Penalties up to some significant amount, either
> $1000 or $5000, I forget. *The ordinance applies only in
> unincorporated areas of the country, not in any of the cities. *That
> includes East L.A., one of the large latino areas where there are many
> taco trucks and many Mexican restaurants. *As you might imagine, the
> law is the result of complaints by the restaurant owners who say they
> can't compete with the trucks' prices.
>
> Seems to me the restaurant owners and the supervisors are wrong. *The
> "dining experience" at a truck is different from a restaurant, and if
> the trucks left I wouldn't bet that nearby restaurants would suddenly
> do all the business that was going to the trucks. *So everybody is
> losing here, not to mention the question of whether this is the kind
> of government people want. *And not to mention that some the trucks
> serve great food.

I love taco truck tacos and burritos!

> The link given is to sign a petition. *I don't know if signatures from
> people not from east L.A. will matter.... * *

I signed it.

>*-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem > wrote:

>Last week the County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that
>would make it a misdemeanor for a taco truck to park in one location
>longer than an hour.

That's ass-backwards... think of the wasted fuel and extra
smog that will be caused by taco trucks repositioning themselves.

There are thousands of taco trucks in Los Angeles!

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:43:59 -0700 (PDT), aem >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Apr 21, 2:42*pm, "Nick Nuclear" >
>wrote:
>> http://saveourtacotrucks.org/

>[cross postings deleted, though some are interesting]
>
>Last week the County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance that
>would make it a misdemeanor for a taco truck to park in one location
>longer than an hour. Penalties up to some significant amount, either
>$1000 or $5000, I forget. The ordinance applies only in
>unincorporated areas of the country, not in any of the cities. That
>includes East L.A., one of the large latino areas where there are many
>taco trucks and many Mexican restaurants. As you might imagine, the
>law is the result of complaints by the restaurant owners who say they
>can't compete with the trucks' prices.

Because my law firm currently has 3 lawsuits pending in federal court
against the *City* of LA, one of my self-appointed chores has been to
monitor the city council's meeting minutes, both of the council at
large and of a cherry picked few city council committees. It is
utterly breathtaking to me what the city council seems to think is
their God given duty to interfere in, regulate, tax, ignore...the
latest one was an ordinance to require the spaying or neutering of
pets over the age of 4 months. You can argue that that is a good
thing, but it has just astonished me the amount of ink and time the
city council has expended over this when the city has massive problems
with gangs, the LAPD, illegal immigrants, taggers, a crumbling
infrastructure...you name it. AFAICS, the taco trucks in southern
California are as much a part of the character of SoCal as the
symphony mural downtown on the 110 or the Grand Central Market on Hill
St.

>Seems to me the restaurant owners and the supervisors are wrong. The
>"dining experience" at a truck is different from a restaurant, and if
>the trucks left I wouldn't bet that nearby restaurants would suddenly
>do all the business that was going to the trucks. So everybody is
>losing here, not to mention the question of whether this is the kind
>of government people want. And not to mention that some the trucks
>serve great food.

A taco truck and a restaurant are apples and oranges. I would
patronize a taco truck over a restaurant, depending upon the taco
truck or the restaurant :-)

And I absolutely agree: restaruants aren't going to lose business to
taco trucks unless the restaurant sucks. How can it be else?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:13:33 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>Because my law firm currently has 3 lawsuits pending in federal court
>against the *City* of LA, one of my self-appointed chores has been to
>monitor the city council's meeting minutes, both of the council at
>large and of a cherry picked few city council committees. It is
>utterly breathtaking to me what the city council seems to think is
>their God given duty to interfere in, regulate, tax, ignore...the
>latest one was an ordinance to require the spaying or neutering of
>pets over the age of 4 months. You can argue that that is a good
>thing, but it has just astonished me the amount of ink and time the
>city council has expended over this when the city has massive problems
>with gangs, the LAPD, illegal immigrants, taggers, a crumbling
>infrastructure...you name it. AFAICS, the taco trucks in southern
>California are as much a part of the character of SoCal as the
>symphony mural downtown on the 110 or the Grand Central Market on Hill
>St.

Why is this surprising when television journalists can't come up with
anything better than "gotcha" questions to candidates running for
president??? Ask about the BIG issues fellas. Talk about the
Elephant in the room.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> A taco truck and a restaurant are apples and oranges. I would patronize a
> taco truck over a restaurant, depending upon the taco truck or the
> restaurant :-)
>
> And I absolutely agree: restaruants aren't going to lose business to taco
> trucks unless the restaurant sucks. How can it be else?

We recently had a "Great L.A. Taco Hunt" thread in here. A link was
posted to a web site with the same name. I checked out the
recommendations for the Valley, and one of them was a taco truck that
parks at the car wash directly across the street from my usual BBQ joint.
I haven't seen it there, the few times since reading that that I've been
past there (and I haven't been to the Q shop for several weeks); they're
not on the same sked as I am.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

>A taco truck and a restaurant are apples and oranges. I would
>patronize a taco truck over a restaurant, depending upon the taco
>truck or the restaurant :-)

>And I absolutely agree: restaruants aren't going to lose business to
>taco trucks unless the restaurant sucks. How can it be else?

I still believe that something about the confined space within
a taco truck causes flavors to concentrate and seep into the
burritos making them that much more flavorful.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said...

> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>>A taco truck and a restaurant are apples and oranges. I would
>>patronize a taco truck over a restaurant, depending upon the taco
>>truck or the restaurant :-)

>>And I absolutely agree: restaruants aren't going to lose business to
>>taco trucks unless the restaurant sucks. How can it be else?

> I still believe that something about the confined space within
> a taco truck causes flavors to concentrate and seep into the
> burritos making them that much more flavorful.
>
> Steve

Talk about confined spaces, on the sidewalks around Philadelphia there are
food "cabins" that are about 6' x 4' with someone inside cooking hot foods,
making sandwiches, hoagies, sodas, etc., with a good amount of variety. I
don't think they can even stand up in them, I sure couldn't. Extremely
claustrophobic, imho!

Different cuisine can be found at the same corners day after day so
customers know where to fine them routinely. Some just serve lunch, others
start earlier with breakfast to grab some arriving morning commuter
dollars.

They get an incredible amount of business since customers find it much more
convenient to walk out of the office and have food carts right outside to
choose from. It's also easy to let your nose be your guide. And the prices
are very low with no sacrifice in quality. Competition is too fierce to
slack on quality.

They keep supplies on hand on ice in vans next to them and at the end of
the day they re-hitch the cart back to their vans and drive off.

I don't imagine it's a Philly thing, I just never saw them before moving
here.

Andy
It's FINALLY Presidential Primary Election Day in PA!!!
Could mean a breakfast Philly cheesesteak after voting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:33:24 -0700, sf <.> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 23:13:33 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>>Because my law firm currently has 3 lawsuits pending in federal court
>>against the *City* of LA, one of my self-appointed chores has been to
>>monitor the city council's meeting minutes, both of the council at
>>large and of a cherry picked few city council committees. It is
>>utterly breathtaking to me what the city council seems to think is
>>their God given duty to interfere in, regulate, tax, ignore...the
>>latest one was an ordinance to require the spaying or neutering of
>>pets over the age of 4 months. You can argue that that is a good
>>thing, but it has just astonished me the amount of ink and time the
>>city council has expended over this when the city has massive problems
>>with gangs, the LAPD, illegal immigrants, taggers, a crumbling
>>infrastructure...you name it. AFAICS, the taco trucks in southern
>>California are as much a part of the character of SoCal as the
>>symphony mural downtown on the 110 or the Grand Central Market on Hill
>>St.

>Why is this surprising when television journalists can't come up with
>anything better than "gotcha" questions to candidates running for
>president??? Ask about the BIG issues fellas. Talk about the
>Elephant in the room.

this flag pin nonsense is getting to me. i wish obama or someone
would say 'wearing the flag pin began with nixon and his white house
thugs. 'nuff said.'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Up here where I live in the Pacific NW there is a Taco Truck that has
been parking near my home for over 5 years now and I have to admit I
have not found a restaurant here that serves anything as good as the
food these folks running the truck cook up. It's really comfort food.

It's sad that government officials forget the roots of where certain
foods, food chains and name brands in this country came from. When
folks immigrated here in the late 1800's and early 1900's many street
vendors sold "new" foods such as pizza, sub sandwiches, hot dogs ect
from carts on the street and a lot of those people ended up founding
restaurants that turned into national food chains or food companies
that are now national name brands. For the local government down
there to try and pass this is really trying to shut down part of the
heritage and history of the country and not giving people the chances
the current generations grandparents & great grandparents had.

I would think a boycott of any businesses or restaurants that open
support this would be in order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:41:11 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>Talk about confined spaces, on the sidewalks around Philadelphia there are
>food "cabins" that are about 6' x 4' with someone inside cooking hot foods,
>making sandwiches, hoagies, sodas, etc., with a good amount of variety. I
>don't think they can even stand up in them, I sure couldn't. Extremely
>claustrophobic, imho!

My kids tell me that food in Bali is sold that way too. Tiny huts
with a take out window and a room upstairs that they rent out to
tourists.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf said...

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:41:11 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Talk about confined spaces, on the sidewalks around Philadelphia there
>>are food "cabins" that are about 6' x 4' with someone inside cooking hot
>>foods, making sandwiches, hoagies, sodas, etc., with a good amount of
>>variety. I don't think they can even stand up in them, I sure couldn't.
>>Extremely claustrophobic, imho!

> My kids tell me that food in Bali is sold that way too. Tiny huts
> with a take out window and a room upstairs that they rent out to
> tourists.

Bali?!?

Kewl!!! What are they doing over in the Far East? Without us?!?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:13:00 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>sf said...
>
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:41:11 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>>Talk about confined spaces, on the sidewalks around Philadelphia there
>>>are food "cabins" that are about 6' x 4' with someone inside cooking hot
>>>foods, making sandwiches, hoagies, sodas, etc., with a good amount of
>>>variety. I don't think they can even stand up in them, I sure couldn't.
>>>Extremely claustrophobic, imho!

>> My kids tell me that food in Bali is sold that way too. Tiny huts
>> with a take out window and a room upstairs that they rent out to
>> tourists.

>Bali?!?
>
>Kewl!!! What are they doing over in the Far East? Without us?!?

<sigh> That was three years ago..... my kids seem to do everything
international before I do. I can proudly say I visited Canada and
Mexico before they did.

Son went to London when he was in 8th grade (pure dumb luck). I went
to London for the very first time two years ago. The only reason why
Dublin was put on the itinerary that particular trip was because DD
was on assignment (proud mommy hat on).... in Google's Dublin Office.