Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lemon Cake Recipe

Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Prism Tea" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
> Thanks!

Add more Lemon zest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 10:24 am, Prism Tea > wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
> Thanks!

A fine microplane grater is your very best friend if you're into lemon
cake. It's the key to handling the rind, which is what makes the cake
nice and lemony. Be sure you grease and flour the pan thoroughly or
it will stick. The recipe I use makes a cake with a nice lemony tang
& terrific texture - moist, with a nice small crumb. last time I
brought it to my women's group, they fell on it like wolves - always a
huge hit.
Nancy T

GLAZED LEMON CAKE
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 T lemon rind, grated (careful not to grate into the white part)
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 cups milk
Topping:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T lemon rind, grated
2 T lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in
eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Beat in lemon rind and
vanilla. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and
salt. Using wooden spoon, stir into butter mixture alternately with
milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk.
Pour batter into greased and floured 10-inch (3 L) bundt pan. Bake in
centre of oven for 50 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes
out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack
to cool.
Topping:
In bowl, whisk together icing sugar, lemon rind and juice. Drizzle
over top of cake. Dust lightly with powdered sugar just before
serving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques wrote:
> On Mar 29, 10:24 am, Prism Tea > wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
>> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
>> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
>> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
>> Thanks!

> A fine microplane grater is your very best friend if you're into lemon
> cake. It's the key to handling the rind, which is what makes the cake
> nice and lemony. Be sure you grease and flour the pan thoroughly or
> it will stick. The recipe I use makes a cake with a nice lemony tang
> & terrific texture - moist, with a nice small crumb. last time I
> brought it to my women's group, they fell on it like wolves - always a
> huge hit.
> Nancy T

<recipe snipped>

Sounds delicious - and we got lemons in the CSA box on Thursday. Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Prism Tea wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
> Thanks!

Both of these are quite good. The first uses zest and extract; the
second, zest and juice. The sour cream helps with the tartness too.

HTH,
pat

* Exported from CookWorks for MasterCook II *

Lemon Keeping Cake

Recipe By : Lisa Yockelson, BAKING FOR GIFT-GIVING
Serving Size : 16
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Prep
-------- -------------------- ------------------
3 cups all-purpose flour -- unsifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound unsalted butter -- softened
4 tablespoons solid shortening
3 cups superfine sugar
6 egg
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
Cream the butter and shortening in the large bowl of an electric mixer
on
moderate speed for 4 minutes. Add the sugar in three additions,
beating on
moderately high speed for 2 minutes after each portion is added. Beat
in the
eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition. Beat in the
lemon peel
and lemon extract. On low speed, alternately add the sifted
ingredients in
three additions with the sour cream in two additions, beginning and
ending with
the sifted mixture. Blend in the milk.
Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 1
hour and
20 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, until golden and a wooden pick
inserted in
the center emerges clean and dry.
Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, invert the cake onto
another
cooling rack and turn rightside up. Cool completely.
Store in an airtight container.
To glaze the cake, if desired: mix 3 tablespoons lemon, orange, or
tangerine
juice with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and spoon over the top of
the cake
while it is warm. The glaze will be absorbed into the cake, adding a
sweet-tart flavor.

* Exported from CookWorks for MasterCook II *

Lemon Poundcake

Recipe By : The New York Times Magazine, July 9, 1995
Serving Size : 8
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Prep
-------- -------------------- ------------------
1/2 cup unsalted butter -- at room temperature,
plus
additional for greasing pan
2 cups all-purpose flour -- plus additional for
pan
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 teaspoons lemon zest -- grated
3 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf
pan. Using
an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light.
Add the
lemon zest, then the eggs, one at a time, mixing until light and
fluffy. Mix
in the vanilla.
Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add the
dry
ingredients alternately with the sour cream, mixing just to combine.
Spoon the
batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into
the cake's
center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Place on a rack.
Put the confectioners' sugar in a bowl and gradually whisk in the
lemon juice.
Brush some of the mixture over the top of the cake. Let stand for 10
minutes.
Turn the cake out of the pan and brush the cake top, sides and bottom
well with
the lemon mixture. Repeat after 10 minutes. Slice and serve.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cryambers" > wrote in message
Prism Tea wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
> Thanks!

Both of these are quite good. The first uses zest and extract; the
second, zest and juice. The sour cream helps with the tartness too.

HTH,
pat

[snips]

Thanks, I saved both. Lemon is my favorite kind of cake, but only
if it has that fresh lemon flavor. A friend used to make the best I
have ever had--and I think she used lemon jello in the cake and
fresh lemon juice in the frosting. She died before I could get the
recipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default gg Lemon Cake Recipe

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:09:02 -0700 (PDT), Cryambers
> wrote:

>Prism Tea wrote:
>> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
>> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
>> give the tartness. Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
>> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
>> Thanks!

>Both of these are quite good. The first uses zest and extract; the
>second, zest and juice. The sour cream helps with the tartness too.
>
>HTH,
>pat

am i mistaken, pat, or have we not heard from you in a while?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 10:24*am, Prism Tea > wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for lemon cake that has the lemon flavor and
> tartness of fresh lemons? I've tried lemon extract, but that doesn't
> give the tartness. *Fresh lemons kill the texture of the cake, and
> lemon peel just doesn't cut it.
> Thanks!

Try this one. I have a hyperactive lemon tree and am always looking
for recipes to use them up.

Glazed Lemon Cake (Silver Pallet) Cook Book
1/2 pound sweet butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Lemon Icing (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 10 inch tube pan. Cream butter and
sugar
until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, blending well
after each addition.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into
egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with
dry ingredients. Add lemon zest and juice.

Pour batter into prepared tube pan. Set on the middle rack of the
oven
and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until cake pulls away from sides
of pan and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool cake in the pan, set on a rack, for 10 minutes. Remove cake from
pan and spread on icing at once, while cake is still hot.

Lemon Icing:

1 pound confectioners' sugar
8 tablespoons sweet butter, softened
3 tightly packed tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

Cream sugar and butter thoroughly. Mix in lemon zest and juice;
spread
on warm cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> am i mistaken, pat, or have we not heard from you in a while?
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've been posting some but kind of sporadically. The last time you
said hi, I replied, but I don't know if you saw it. I've been posting
using google groups, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

pat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default gg gg Lemon Cake Recipe

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:29:26 -0700 (PDT), Cryambers
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>

>> am i mistaken, pat, or have we not heard from you in a while?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I've been posting some but kind of sporadically. The last time you
>said hi, I replied, but I don't know if you saw it. I've been posting
>using google groups, so maybe that's got something to do with it.
>
>pat

i'll put you on the 'yes-fly' list.

your pal,
blake