Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast Frittata

breakfast to make, with fuzzy head (should have gone earlier to bed!)

I'm grating potatoes, I'm grating cheese,
I'm beating eggs - frittata, please!

I'll bake the bacon,
I'll top all with cheese
(can you say 'Havarti, please?)

Pinches of pepper,
pinches of salt
Diced bell pepper
too bad there's no schmaltz!

Sorry, I'm in a Dr. Seuss sort of mood

I'm grating potatoes so I can form the basis for a frittata of sorts. Could
also be called a breakfast casserole, I suppose.

There's no cast iron skillet here (too bad) but there is a small 4-inch deep
porcelainized iron pan (Descoware, made in Belgium, flame orange) which
looks and acts remarkably like pricey Le Crueset and should do the trick
just fine.

I'm baking the bacon and there will be bacon fat! I'll be placing the
grated potatoes in the bacon-fat greased pan (sorry, no schmaltz, but it
sort of rhymed) and browning them well on the bottom along with minced onion
and a little minced bell pepper. Add-ins to 6 beaten eggs will be salt &
pepper, of course, the crumbled bacon, leftover chopped asparagus and a bit
of chopped parsley. I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are
*almost* set, then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the broiler for
a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.

Jill
--
Being a cat means never having to say thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> breakfast to make, with fuzzy head (should have gone earlier to bed!)

That's what they're calling now? "-)

> I'm baking the bacon and there will be bacon fat! I'll be placing the
> grated potatoes in the bacon-fat greased pan (sorry, no schmaltz, but it
> sort of rhymed) and browning them well on the bottom along with minced onion
> and a little minced bell pepper. Add-ins to 6 beaten eggs will be salt &
> pepper, of course, the crumbled bacon, leftover chopped asparagus and a bit
> of chopped parsley. I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are
> *almost* set, then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the broiler for
> a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.
>
> Jill

Who's coming for breakfast? That's a big meal you're making? Tasty,
and enough for four people.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:

snipped

>> I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are *almost* set,
>>then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the
>>broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.

..snipped

Can you grate Havarti? I thought it would be too soft and crumbly?
If you can, I'll be making this for sure.
Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Hoges in WA" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>

> snipped
>
>>> I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are *almost* set,
>>>then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the
>>>broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.

> .snipped
>
> Can you grate Havarti? I thought it would be too soft and crumbly?
> If you can, I'll be making this for sure.
> Hoges in WA

Flour the grater and the cheese and grate *gently.* More like shredding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hoges in WA wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>

> snipped
>
>>> I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are *almost* set,
>>> then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the
>>> broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.
>>> .snipped

> Can you grate Havarti? I thought it would be too soft and crumbly?
> If you can, I'll be making this for sure.
> Hoges in WA

It grates well enough, using a flat panel grater. The cheese melts nicely
and was a very tasty breakfast!

Now I have to think about the corned beef.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> breakfast to make, with fuzzy head (should have gone earlier to bed!)

> That's what they're calling now? "-)

LOL That's what *I'm* calling it. We stayed up until midnight but I
couldn't sleep so I was awake, chatting, until about 4am.

>> I'm baking the bacon and there will be bacon fat! I'll be placing
>> the grated potatoes in the bacon-fat greased pan (sorry, no
>> schmaltz, but it sort of rhymed) and browning them well on the
>> bottom along with minced onion and a little minced bell pepper.
>> Add-ins to 6 beaten eggs will be salt & pepper, of course, the
>> crumbled bacon, leftover chopped asparagus and a bit of chopped
>> parsley. I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are *almost*
>> set, then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the broiler for a
>> few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.
>>

> Who's coming for breakfast? That's a big meal you're making? Tasty,
> and enough for four people.

Yep, enough for four but leftovers for two. This will actually freeze well,
which is one of the things I'm working on so Mom can have easy to heat & eat
stuff when I go home.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Yep, enough for four but leftovers for two. This will actually freeze well,
> which is one of the things I'm working on so Mom can have easy to heat & eat
> stuff when I go home.
>
> Jill

It freezes well? Huh. I wouldn't have thought that the eggs would do
well.

Is your mom appreciating your efforts? Make sure you label the goods
with heating instructions.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Yep, enough for four but leftovers for two. This will actually
>> freeze well, which is one of the things I'm working on so Mom can
>> have easy to heat & eat stuff when I go home.
>>

> It freezes well? Huh. I wouldn't have thought that the eggs would
> do well.

If you check the freezer case at the grocery store you'll find all sorts of
frozen breakfast items similar. It's no different.

> Is your mom appreciating your efforts? Make sure you label the goods
> with heating instructions.

She appreciates, yes'm Labels and instructions, roger that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:49:24 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>breakfast to make, with fuzzy head (should have gone earlier to bed!)
>
>I'm grating potatoes, I'm grating cheese,
>I'm beating eggs - frittata, please!
>
>I'll bake the bacon,
>I'll top all with cheese
>(can you say 'Havarti, please?)
>
>Pinches of pepper,
>pinches of salt
>Diced bell pepper
>too bad there's no schmaltz!
>
>Sorry, I'm in a Dr. Seuss sort of mood
>
>I'm grating potatoes so I can form the basis for a frittata of sorts. Could
>also be called a breakfast casserole, I suppose.
>
>There's no cast iron skillet here (too bad) but there is a small 4-inch deep
>porcelainized iron pan (Descoware, made in Belgium, flame orange) which
>looks and acts remarkably like pricey Le Crueset and should do the trick
>just fine.
>
>I'm baking the bacon and there will be bacon fat! I'll be placing the
>grated potatoes in the bacon-fat greased pan (sorry, no schmaltz, but it
>sort of rhymed) and browning them well on the bottom along with minced onion
>and a little minced bell pepper. Add-ins to 6 beaten eggs will be salt &
>pepper, of course, the crumbled bacon, leftover chopped asparagus and a bit
>of chopped parsley. I'll cook this on the stovetop until the eggs are
>*almost* set, then top with grated Havarti and pop it under the broiler for
>a few minutes to melt the cheese and finish it off.
>
>Jill

I think that this sounds good you see
I think that you should share with me

I like potatoes and Havarti
I even like them at a party

Cook the bacon and chop the asparagus
I think there will be enough for all of us.

koko in the hat
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/24
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:

> If you check the freezer case at the grocery store you'll find all sorts of
> frozen breakfast items similar. It's no different.

Doesn't mean they're any good, though. "-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote:

>> If you check the freezer case at the grocery store you'll find all
>> sorts of frozen breakfast items similar. It's no different.

> Doesn't mean they're any good, though. "-)

LOL! Well, the next time I do this I won't add asparagus (or any other
green vegetable)... Mom said she'd have liked it fine if it was just the
potatoes, eggs, bacon & cheese With asparagus, not so much (I liked
it!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,

>>> If you check the freezer case at the grocery store you'll find all
>>> sorts of frozen breakfast items similar. It's no different.

>> Doesn't mean they're any good, though. "-)
>>

>LOL! Well, the next time I do this I won't add asparagus (or any other
>green vegetable)... Mom said she'd have liked it fine if it was just the
>potatoes, eggs, bacon & cheese With asparagus, not so much

Eggs and potatoes and cheese
Baked till browned and pretty as you please

ok, I've been up since three-thirty this morning and am running on fumes,
although my car no longer is.

Anyway. Frittata like breakfast bakes are becoming a staple in my
kitchen, but I like wegetables in mine, unlike your mom. I especially
like asparagussssss. Last year's offering for the Easter potluck
breakfast (after the service starting at 5:30 am) was:

Potatoes,.cut in thumbnail sized chunks - par-cook them by microwave/pan
fry till mostly cooked
Asparagus - cut in small pieces and sauteed with the taters

Mix eggs up (this is a good way to use spare egg whites if you have them)
with some milk, salt/pepper/spices, a good handful of parmesan or some
other grated or small-chunk cheese

Dump veggies in pan and spread out, pour eggs over

350 oven for about half an hour or until it looks done

Why, yes, I did put this together before the service. So it's one of
those "you can do this half asleep" things. (So, um, I don't remember
how many eggs I used - maybe 8 + some whites for a 9 by 13 pan? Pound of
potatoes, big bunch of asparagus tips) Holds well in a low oven, covered
with foil.

I highly recommend spraying the dish with "Pam" or something similar.

Bacon would have been tasty but there were a lot of vegetarians present.

If you don't have cheese, but have creme fraiche instead, use it! It's
the secret of the velvety tasty quiche at one of San Francisco's very best
bakeries.

Charlotte

Frittata mom0f4boys General Cooking 1 15-11-2007 03:27 PM
Frittata di Pasta Italian Breakfast Omelet Linda1 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-03-2006 05:45 PM
Frittata Duckie ® Recipes 0 05-10-2005 09:10 PM
Breakfast Frittata Alan Diabetic 19 19-09-2004 10:27 PM