Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 3 freakin' 50 euros for a pizza like that?!?

Lunchtime today, no coworkers around, just hunger, so I get to the nearby
pizzeria.
"A small gorgonzola, please."
3.50 euros for a pizza which is thin as a saltine and measures less than 10"
in diameter, with normal tomato but very few gorgonzola on top.
They aren't gonna see me before 2012, if the world won't end.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Lunchtime today, no coworkers around, just hunger, so I get to the nearby
> pizzeria.
> "A small gorgonzola, please."
> 3.50 euros for a pizza which is thin as a saltine and measures less than
> 10" in diameter, with normal tomato but very few gorgonzola on top.
> They aren't gonna see me before 2012, if the world won't end.
> --
> Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 10:55*am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "Vilco" > wrote in message

> > Lunchtime today, no coworkers around, just hunger, so I get to the nearby
> > pizzeria.
> > "A small gorgonzola, please."
> > 3.50 euros for a pizza which is thin as a saltine and measures less than
> > 10" in diameter, with normal tomato but very few gorgonzola on top.
> > They aren't gonna see me before 2012, if the world won't end.
> > --
> > *Vilco
> > Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> > qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

> Ahh, Vilco. *To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.
> Dee Dee

What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>> Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.

> What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
> 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

Even if it's as thin as a saltine?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Vilco" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>> Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.

>> What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
>> 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?
> --
> Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

Isn't "thin as a saltine" a specialty pizza? ;-))

Yes, I know what you mean -- there is "thin" and then there is "thinnest."
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 7:53 am, "Vilco" > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
> >> Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.

> > What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
> > 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?
> --
> Vilco
> Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza
> qualcosa da bere a portata di mano

For moi, the thinner the pizza crust, the better. It's still cheap.
If you want a thick crust pizza, find another place to eat.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Vilco wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>> Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.

>> What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
>> 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

Well, perhaps it was overpriced, but those ultra thin crusts are my
favorite and very hard to get around here!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>>> What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
>>> 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

>> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

> That low-carb stuff costs even more.
>
> -sw

It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
left "out" are often more expensive!
Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for
the undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the
same cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something
out baffles me?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:09:59 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> > What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
>> > 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

>> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?
>> --
>> Vilco

>For moi, the thinner the pizza crust, the better. It's still cheap.
>If you want a thick crust pizza, find another place to eat.
>
>N.

i agree. some of the thick crusts are just gross.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

>> That low-carb stuff costs even more.
>>
>> -sw

> It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
> left "out" are often more expensive!
> Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for the
> undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the same
> cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something out
> baffles me?

Perhaps Bittman -- the minimalist -- either started it or capitalized on the
idea.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
>> left "out" are often more expensive!

> When I was a kid I always wondered why unleaded gas cost more.
>
> -sw

Same reason low sodium soup cost more, I guess. Removing lead from gas or
sodium from soup is a very tedious job and required a lot of skill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> When I was a kid I always wondered why unleaded gas cost more.

> Same reason low sodium soup cost more, I guess. Removing lead from
> gas or sodium from soup is a very tedious job and required a lot of
> skill.

Excellent...

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Vilco" > wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> >> Ahh, Vilco. To me, if it were good, that sounds like a bargain to me.

> > What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
> > 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

That's how I prefer my pizza crust -- thin and crispy.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for
> the undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the
> same cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something
> out baffles me?

If getting to "less" requires removing something, added cost makes sense.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:29:37 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

>> That low-carb stuff costs even more.
>>
>> -sw

>It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
>left "out" are often more expensive!
>Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for
>the undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the
>same cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something
>out baffles me?

it might be economies of scale. if ninety-five percent of your
product contains ingredient x, retooling to run your five percent
without x costs money, or possibly the x-substitute (if any) costs
more.

in other cases, it may be demand, i.e., people are willing to pay more
for the x-less product.

ingredient costs don't tell the whole story.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> In article >,

>> > What's a Euro worth nowadays in USD? I'd say that around $5 USD for a
>> > 9" pizza isn't that outrageous....

>> Even if it's as thin as a saltine?

> That's how I prefer my pizza crust -- thin and crispy.

It's thin crust for me, too. Thick crust defines quantity over quality when
it comes to pizza in my book.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:15:18 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for
>> the undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the
>> same cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something
>> out baffles me?

> If getting to "less" requires removing something, added cost makes sense.

The best way to think about these things is how much energy is expended
getting the product to your local supermarket. The more energy it takes
the more expensive the product will be.

Removing something the product has to begin with means extra energy is
expended and the consumer ends up paying for it.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
> left "out" are often more expensive!
> Obviously sometimes they do have to put in replacement ingredients for
> the undesired ingredient. I can see that being costly or at least the
> same cost. But to charge more just when a manufacturer leaves something
> out baffles me?

Doesn't make any sense. The one that gets me is the "low sodium" or
"low salt". I don't know what they replace it with, but I strongly
suspect water. Why should it cost more?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:29:37 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> That low-carb stuff costs even more.

> > It is sometimes baffling (and sometimes not) as to how food with things
> > left "out" are often more expensive!

> When I was a kid I always wondered why unleaded gas cost more.

Warning - Off Topic

In the old days, high power (high compression) gasoline engines, and
older engines, required more octane in the gasoline to prevent knocking,
which was bad for the engine and reduced power. There wasn't enough
octane produced by the refineries, so high octane gas sold at a premium.
The oil companies looked around for something cheap to add to the gas to
increase the octane rating without actually adding more octane. There
are lots of "*anes" in refined fossil fuels. Natural gas is mostly
methane. Refined crude oil has butane, methane, ethane, propane and
octane, off the top of my head. The gasoline producers found a lead
compound that increased the octane rating much more cheaply than octane
itself. Lots of people died, but that was a small price to pay for
saving a few bucks. After a while, people in the US realized that it
wasn't just those factory workers who died horrible deaths, but gas
station workers and consumers of gasoline were at risk also. The
government banned leaded gasoline as a health hazard. Other countries
followed suit. The refineries found ways to enhance their equipment to
produce a higher octane rating without adding lead. This caused the
gasoline to cost more money than leaded gasoline, but the health hazard
was reduced.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA