Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey, Bubba!!

I picked up four links of bockwurst at the butcher shop today. What is
you (simple) recommendation for preparing and serving them? I was told
to simmer them then brown them.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I picked up four links of bockwurst at the butcher shop today. What
> is you (simple) recommendation for preparing and serving them? I
> was told to simmer them then brown them.

I ain't Bubba, but that's basically how I do 'em, Barb. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> I picked up four links of bockwurst at the butcher shop today. What is
> you (simple) recommendation for preparing and serving them? I was told
> to simmer them then brown them.

Braise them in beer :-)

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/34108/

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer
gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk,
blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken
bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-
pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das
blinkenlichten
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I picked up four links of bockwurst at the butcher shop today. What is
> you (simple) recommendation for preparing and serving them? I was told
> to simmer them then brown them.

It depends on what they sell under that name in Minnesota. So, what
follows may well be irrelevant to what you have on hand now.

In Germany, Bockwurst is generally very similar to Wiener- or
Frankfurter Würstchen, except it is rather larger, i.e. both thicker and
longer (this is also evident from the name, "Würstchen" being a
diminutive of "Wurst"). Like Wiener- or Frankfurter Würstchen,
Bockwurst is supposed to be heated in hot water, but not actually boiled
(to prevent bursting). Also, it can be sliced and added to pea-,
lentil-, or potato soups. Browning or grilling it would be barbarous -
and I would say the same about doing such an atrocity to sausages used
in American hot dogs. Reserve this treatment for Bratwurst.

And here is what Schaller & Weber write about (the apparently American
idea of) Bockwurst:
<http://www.schallerweber.com/recipe-bockwurst.html>.
Pay attention to the cooking - but not serving! - instructions only, as
everything else is mostly from the realm of fantasy.

Bubba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I picked up four links of bockwurst at the butcher shop today. What is
> > you (simple) recommendation for preparing and serving them? I was told
> > to simmer them then brown them.

> It depends on what they sell under that name in Minnesota. So, what
> follows may well be irrelevant to what you have on hand now.
>
> In Germany, Bockwurst is generally very similar to Wiener- or
> Frankfurter Würstchen, except it is rather larger, i.e. both thicker and
> longer (this is also evident from the name, "Würstchen" being a
> diminutive of "Wurst"). Like Wiener- or Frankfurter Würstchen,
> Bockwurst is supposed to be heated in hot water, but not actually boiled
> (to prevent bursting). Also, it can be sliced and added to pea-,
> lentil-, or potato soups. Browning or grilling it would be barbarous -
> and I would say the same about doing such an atrocity to sausages used
> in American hot dogs. Reserve this treatment for Bratwurst.

Well, FINE, then!

> And here is what Schaller & Weber write about (the apparently American
> idea of) Bockwurst:
> <http://www.schallerweber.com/recipe-bockwurst.html>.
> Pay attention to the cooking - but not serving! - instructions only, as
> everything else is mostly from the realm of fantasy.
>
> Bubba

The four that I bought may be a titch longer than a weenie and are
certainly no larger in diameter. Fraudulent? Drat. The guys in the
meat shop said they only make them from now until Easter ‹ that it is a
"traditional Easter sausage" in Germany. Do I need to go whomp them
with a jar of pickled beets?

They have veal in them * I'm not sure about pork. Probably?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
tell me if you knowwhat it is.
Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The guys in the
> meat shop said they only make them from now until Easter ‹ that it is a
> "traditional Easter sausage" in Germany. Do I need to go whomp them
> with a jar of pickled beets?

Yes, even if you use only the smallest of your pickled beets jars, the
gallon one. What they are saying is complete nonsense.

> They have veal in them * I'm not sure about pork. Probably?

In Germany, the vast majority of Bockwürste are made mostly with pork,
with about 15% beef added. However, they can be made with other meats,
even horse. Here is a correct description of the German Bockwurst in
English:
<http://www.germanfoods.org/consumer/facts/guidetosausages.cfm>. Scroll
down.

The American version is apparently made differently, at least according
to the Code of Federal Regulations:
<http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/9CF319.html>. See section 319.281.

Bubba