Melba's Jammin'

Default Hey, Bubba!!

What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

You Prevert!!!!!
Goomba38

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

<gulp> I never knew there were rules and preferences for such things,
and now am curious myself as I'm probably the guilty party in question?? LOL
I'm scratching my head to figure out how it differs when you just change
the topic during a standard "reply" versus start a new thread and
include the old topic as reference yet add the new focus as a prefix?

Goomba (playing with her new Duet washer and dryer today and actually
having fun doing laundry!)
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 09:00:47a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

Especially when the subject line is "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate
Cream Pies".

I don't know if there's anything that specific or official, but certainly
when the subject has obviously taken a turn away from the original. I try to
remember to do that, becaue I dislike anticipating the continuation of a
specific thread on a subject, only to find that it bears no relationship to
the topic.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

Yes

sf

On 28 Aug 2005 19:26:12 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 28 Aug 2005 09:00:47a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> > I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> > where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> > thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> > line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

> Especially when the subject line is "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate
> Cream Pies".
>
> I don't know if there's anything that specific or official, but certainly
> when the subject has obviously taken a turn away from the original. I try to
> remember to do that, becaue I dislike anticipating the continuation of a
> specific thread on a subject, only to find that it bears no relationship to
> the topic.

That's why I save threads I'm interested in until they die... I can
see who's talking to whom and usually know which offshoot I'm not
interested in.
Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

There is no formal protocol or written-down rules regarding this matter,
just the increasingly uncommon "common sense". As you know, a thread is
when people reply to each other, carrying on a conversation. Often
enough, a topic drift occurs, but it is still that same conversation.
Changing the subject header alerts people to the change of topic without
leaving the thread. Starting a new thread engendered by the old one
usually ends the old conversation as far as the person involved is
concerned. Whether this is a good thing or not depends on the thread
and the person. The advantage *and* disadvantage of just changing the
subject header but remaining in the thread is that people's filters in
their threaded newsreaders won't need to be adjusted - the thread will
remain highlighted or killfiled, as the case may be - the change of the
subject header alters nothing in this regard. If, however, the thread
in question is, for example, one of those interminable off-topic ones, a
change to an on-topic subject will remain unnoticed by the numerous
people who killfiled the thread. In such cases, it is clearly better to
start a new one.

Any new thread usually doesn't need a "was" in the subject header. An
old thread does, and the header should be formatted as follows: "French
Fried Poodles (was: Cat Stroganoff all'Alfredo)". The exact format is
important, because some good newsreaders recognise it and delete the
no-longer-needed bracketed "was" part starting with the second reply.

Bubba
~patches~

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject line?
> I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into something else
> where the posters changing the subject do it within the original topic
> thread. Should those not be started as a new thread with the subject
> line something like: "French Fried Poodles, was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

No offense & being somewhat of a newbie here, I didn't know there was an
internet protocol for this. What I do if I'm introducing something way
off of what what being discussed is add the "new topic" followed by
"was" "original topic". What I liked about this ng is people don't seem
to get hung up on this type of thing, or spelling, or grammar. IMO I
can generally figure out what someone is saying whether the OT,
spelling, or grammar is correct. It's all about food and the love of
food

On an off note, my condolences on your loss. I understand what you are
going through. Yesterday morning we got the phone call a very close
friend had died. It will be the second we buried this year. It's the
pits
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject
> line? I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into
> something else where the posters changing the subject do it within
> the original topic thread. Should those not be started as a new
> thread with the subject line something like: "French Fried Poodles,
> was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

But then again, do you get upset if someone at the dinner table changes the
subject? Or are they required to announce they are bringing up a new
subject first? Threads morph. I try to change the subject line just so
people will know it's morph'd (I don't always remember to do that). But if
I were to start a new topic (and sometimes I do) without some of the
original text, it often wouldn't make sense. Not that I always make sense
LOL A prime example is the Frogmore Stew (WAS: Lobster) thing. It was just
sort of a natural progression in the discussion, IMHO.

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What's the internet protocol or good manners for changing a subject
> > line? I've noticed at least two threads that have morphed into
> > something else where the posters changing the subject do it within
> > the original topic thread. Should those not be started as a new
> > thread with the subject line something like: "French Fried Poodles,
> > was Chocolate Cream Pies"?

> But then again, do you get upset if someone at the dinner table
> changes the subject?

Of course not. And this is a text-based newsgroup, not the dinner
table.

> Or are they required to announce they are bringing up a new subject
> first?

Sometimes. Depends on what the subject was and what the new one will
be. :-0 You've never said, "Let's talk about something else"?

> Threads morph. I try to change the subject line just so people will
> know it's morph'd (I don't always remember to do that). But if I
> were to start a new topic (and sometimes I do) without some of the
> original text, it often wouldn't make sense.

Then why not start the new thread , "French Fried Poodles" and begin it
with something along the lines of, "this started out as Chocolate Cream
Pies but deserves its own discussion" or something like that?

Not that I always make sense LOL
> Jill

Gee, I never noticed, Jillsie. (*^;*)