Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Serving size

I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount contained
> in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are marked "two servings".
> For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's had 14 floz and lentil soup from
> Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

I have no opinion on it. Perhaps the soup that is only 14 ounces/2
servings is a higher cost of ingredients so they cut back on quantity?
Or better nutritional value hence it requires less quantity per serving
to nourish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount contained
>> in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are marked "two servings".
>> For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's had 14 floz and lentil soup from
>> Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder what opinions are on serving sizes of
>> soup?
>>

> I have no opinion on it.

And the reason you responded would be ... ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:59:14 -0500:

G> James Silverton wrote:
??>> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the
??>> amount contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if
??>> most are marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from
??>> Trader Joe's had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso
??>> had 19 floz. I wonder what opinions are on serving sizes
??>> of soup?
??>>
G> I have no opinion on it. Perhaps the soup that is only 14
G> ounces/2 servings is a higher cost of ingredients so they
G> cut back on quantity? Or better nutritional value hence it
G> requires less quantity per serving to nourish?

I would seriously doubt the goodness of heart and care for my
health of either supplier. Actually, the soups in question were
vegetarian and not all that good, IMHO!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 11:27*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
> contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
> marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
> had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
> what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

I might go anywhere between 12 and 16 ounces for myself, depending
on how hearty the soup is. But I often eat a piece of bread and maybe
an ounce or two of cheese along with the soup (especially tomato
soup).

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 23, 6:27*am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
> contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
> marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
> had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
> what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

I use to eat a can as a lunch, or about 2 to 2.5 serving according to
the can. But of late I have gotten tired of the rather high salt
levels in a full can and now tend to mix part of a can of soup in with
a lot of rice and vegetables.

When I get a bit more ambitious I am going to try my hand at some home
made soups.

Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:19 -0800 (PST):

CH> On Jan 23, 11:27 am, "James Silverton"
CH> > wrote:
??>> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the
??>> amount contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if
??>> most are marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from
??>> Trader Joe's had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso
??>> had 19 floz. I wonder what opinions are on serving sizes
??>> of soup?

CH> I might go anywhere between 12 and 16 ounces for myself,
CH> depending on how hearty the soup is. But I often eat a
CH> piece of bread and maybe an ounce or two of cheese along
CH> with the soup (especially tomato soup).

My own preferred serving size is a bit more modest: 8oz (one cup
cooking measure) but I usually have some bread (sourdough if
possible) or crackers and often a beer for lunch.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:
> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
> contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
> marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
> had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
> what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

You're not embarrassed... TROLL... canned soups are best fed to
composters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

>> I have no opinion on it.

> And the reason you responded would be ... ?

That she had hints and she wrote them in the lines you omitted to quote. Did
you feel better after posting that shit?
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> "James Silverton" wrote:
>> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
>> contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
>> marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
>> had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
>> what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

> You're not embarrassed... TROLL... canned soups are best fed to
> composters.

Heh. Composters. interesting choice of noun...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <qVJlj.21564$9t4.11475@trnddc08>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the amount
> contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if most are
> marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from Trader Joe's
> had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso had 19 floz. I wonder
> what opinions are on serving sizes of soup?

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Maybe this will help, Jim: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-lab18.html
Or maybe it will add confusion to the soup kettle.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's wrote on Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:17:31 -0600:

??>> I've been eating a lot of canned soup for lunch and the
??>> amount contained in the cans seems to vary a lot even if
??>> most are marked "two servings". For example, pea soup from
??>> Trader Joe's had 14 floz and lentil soup from Progresso
??>> had 19 floz. I wonder what opinions are on serving sizes
??>> of soup?

??>> James Silverton
??>> Potomac, Maryland

MsJ> Maybe this will help, Jim:
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qa-lab18.html
MsJ> Or maybe it will add confusion to the soup kettle.

Thanks very much. It does tend to "explain" serving sizes of
soup. As I have said before, probably ad nauseam, there is a
good case
to be made for a legal restriction on allowed package sizes.
Just think how much trouble it would cause Kelloggs :-) :-)

A 500g can of soup would fit the 2-serving recommendation pretty
closely.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Buying dumpling press (big size) and warpper for that size Manda Ruby General Cooking 11 13-07-2010 02:14 AM
Serving size metspitzer General Cooking 16 07-07-2008 05:57 PM
Serving Size ? No Name General Cooking 1 20-08-2007 07:37 PM
Right size : Prep Bowl size pltrgyst[_1_] Cooking Equipment 2 18-05-2007 03:10 AM
What is a serving size ? DXer Vegan 19 22-08-2004 04:32 PM