DXer

Default What is a serving size ?

With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
fruits, what exactly is a serving.

For example what is their definition of 1 serving of fruit like peach or
melon etc.
Or what is a serving of green beans or greens or lettuce.

Also, does a glass of orange juice count as 1 or 2 servings of fruit.

Craig
Steve

DXer wrote:
> With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
> fruits, what exactly is a serving.

about a 1/2 cup.

Steve

DXer wrote:
> With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
> fruits, what exactly is a serving.

about a 1/2 cup.

menu boy

"Steve" > wrote in message ...
> DXer wrote:
> > With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
> > fruits, what exactly is a serving.

> about a 1/2 cup.

No wonder I can't lose weight.

menu boy

"Steve" > wrote in message ...
> DXer wrote:
> > With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
> > fruits, what exactly is a serving.

> about a 1/2 cup.

No wonder I can't lose weight.

Steve

menu boy wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message ...
>
>>DXer wrote:
>>
>>> With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
>>>fruits, what exactly is a serving.

>>about a 1/2 cup.

> No wonder I can't lose weight.

I doubt you are getting fat on vegetables

Seriously, the number 1 reason people gain weight is lack of activity.

After that these are some common pitfalls:

1. Drinking beverages instead of water. It only takes an extra 250
calories a day to gain 1/2 pound a week or 26 pounds a year. A glass
of soda, juice, ...etc has close to that many calories.

2. The "pasta and bagel diet". Flour products ( even whole grain flour
products ), white rice, refined grains, sweets, and other refined carbs
are concentrated sources of calories, yet for various reason they will
not keep you as well satisfied as unrefined carbs. You will eat more of
this stuff to feel full and put on weight.

Watch the condiments you put on things, they can really add a lot of
hidden calories to your diet.

HTH

Steve

Steve

menu boy wrote:
> "Steve" > wrote in message ...
>
>>DXer wrote:
>>
>>> With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies and
>>>fruits, what exactly is a serving.

>>about a 1/2 cup.

> No wonder I can't lose weight.

I doubt you are getting fat on vegetables

Seriously, the number 1 reason people gain weight is lack of activity.

After that these are some common pitfalls:

1. Drinking beverages instead of water. It only takes an extra 250
calories a day to gain 1/2 pound a week or 26 pounds a year. A glass
of soda, juice, ...etc has close to that many calories.

2. The "pasta and bagel diet". Flour products ( even whole grain flour
products ), white rice, refined grains, sweets, and other refined carbs
are concentrated sources of calories, yet for various reason they will
not keep you as well satisfied as unrefined carbs. You will eat more of
this stuff to feel full and put on weight.

Watch the condiments you put on things, they can really add a lot of
hidden calories to your diet.

HTH

Steve

menu boy

"Steve" > wrote in message ...
> menu boy wrote:

> >>about a 1/2 cup.

> > No wonder I can't lose weight.

> I doubt you are getting fat on vegetables
>
> Seriously, the number 1 reason people gain weight is lack of activity.
>
> After that these are some common pitfalls:
>
> 1. Drinking beverages instead of water. It only takes an extra 250
> calories a day to gain 1/2 pound a week or 26 pounds a year. A glass
> of soda, juice, ...etc has close to that many calories.
>
> 2. The "pasta and bagel diet". Flour products ( even whole grain flour
> products ), white rice, refined grains, sweets, and other refined carbs
> are concentrated sources of calories, yet for various reason they will
> not keep you as well satisfied as unrefined carbs. You will eat more of
> this stuff to feel full and put on weight.
>
> Watch the condiments you put on things, they can really add a lot of
> hidden calories to your diet.

Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
I'm sure it's high.

menu boy

"Steve" > wrote in message ...
> menu boy wrote:

> >>about a 1/2 cup.

> > No wonder I can't lose weight.

> I doubt you are getting fat on vegetables
>
> Seriously, the number 1 reason people gain weight is lack of activity.
>
> After that these are some common pitfalls:
>
> 1. Drinking beverages instead of water. It only takes an extra 250
> calories a day to gain 1/2 pound a week or 26 pounds a year. A glass
> of soda, juice, ...etc has close to that many calories.
>
> 2. The "pasta and bagel diet". Flour products ( even whole grain flour
> products ), white rice, refined grains, sweets, and other refined carbs
> are concentrated sources of calories, yet for various reason they will
> not keep you as well satisfied as unrefined carbs. You will eat more of
> this stuff to feel full and put on weight.
>
> Watch the condiments you put on things, they can really add a lot of
> hidden calories to your diet.

Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
I'm sure it's high.

Steve

menu boy wrote:
> Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> I'm sure it's high.

Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
the brewing process?

Steve

menu boy wrote:
> Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> I'm sure it's high.

Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
the brewing process?

Christa

Love that idea
"Steve" > wrote in message
> menu boy wrote:
> > Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> > since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> > I'm sure it's high.

> Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
> the brewing process?

Megan Milligan

let me add to that, 1/2 c. for cooked veggies about 1 c. raw veggies (since
veggies cook down in size). for fruit, abour 1/2 c.

--
Megan Milligan
Desert Rose Musings (www.desertrosemusings.com) (parts still under

"Steve" > wrote in message
> DXer wrote:
> > With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of

veggies and
> > fruits, what exactly is a serving.

> about a 1/2 cup.

---

katie

"Steve" > wrote in message
> menu boy wrote:
> > Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> > since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> > I'm sure it's high.

> Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
> the brewing process?

any idea how you'd turn a bike into a generator? during the big ice storm
up here in ontario & quebec, there were lotsa news specials on how folks
were coping, and i remember seeing in one segment that this dude had turned
a stationary bike into a generator, so if he wanted to boil some water, he
just had to hop on his bike for about a half hour. thought that was neat;
i'd love to be able to feed my home's power supply just by hopping on a
bike. just don't know how. could probably find instructions on the
net...hmm...

Fiona

> With all the talk about everyone should get 5 to 9 servings of veggies
and
> fruits, what exactly is a serving.
>
> For example what is their definition of 1 serving of fruit like peach or
> melon etc.
> Or what is a serving of green beans or greens or lettuce.
>
> Also, does a glass of orange juice count as 1 or 2 servings of fruit.
>
> Craig

A portion is (according to BBC nutrition website):

One piece of medium-sized fruit - e.g., an apple, peach, banana or orange.
One slice of large fruit, such as melon, mango or pineapple.
A few handfuls of grapes, cherries or berry fruits.
A small handful of dried fruit.
A glass (roughly 100ml) of fruit or vegetable juice.
A small tin (roughly 200g) of fruit.
A side salad.
A serving (roughly 100g) of vegetables - e.g. frozen or mushy peas, boiled
carrots or stir-fried broccoli.
The vegetables served in a portion of vegetable curry, lasagne, stir fry or
casserole.

Fiona

And here's the UK government's guidance on portion size:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/PolicyAndGuidan...ID=4001494&chk
=0W4wiy

Steve

katie wrote:
> any idea how you'd turn a bike into a generator? during the big ice storm
> up here in ontario & quebec, there were lotsa news specials on how folks
> were coping, and i remember seeing in one segment that this dude had turned
> a stationary bike into a generator, so if he wanted to boil some water, he
> just had to hop on his bike for about a half hour. thought that was neat;
> i'd love to be able to feed my home's power supply just by hopping on a
> bike. just don't know how. could probably find instructions on the
> net...hmm...

I have seen it done, but I am not an engineer.

I read an interesting article a while back about a gym teacher trying to
fight obesity in a low income high school.

He cleaned out an old storage shed on the campus, got some old donated
tvs, and some old stationary bikes the school had. He hooked them all
up such that students could play video games.......for free.......they
just had to keep peddeling on the bikes.

Suprisingly it was a success, many of the fattest kids in his school
lost a lot of weight.

Steve

Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

Steve

Fiona wrote:
> A portion is (according to BBC nutrition website):
>
> One piece of medium-sized fruit - e.g., an apple, peach, banana or orange.
> One slice of large fruit, such as melon, mango or pineapple.
> A few handfuls of grapes, cherries or berry fruits.
> A small handful of dried fruit.
> A glass (roughly 100ml) of fruit or vegetable juice.
> A small tin (roughly 200g) of fruit.
> A side salad.
> A serving (roughly 100g) of vegetables - e.g. frozen or mushy peas, boiled
> carrots or stir-fried broccoli.
> The vegetables served in a portion of vegetable curry, lasagne, stir fry or
> casserole.

....or about a half cup. Among several things, I think lists like that
are one of the failures of the USDA food pyramid. They didn't make it
clear and simple what a serving is.

I have an acquaintance who works at the USDA. He told me that the
pyramid is being revised and that they are losing the concept of a serving.

--
Be A Healthy Vegan Or Vegetarian
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdo...ealthyVeg.html

Steve's Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

"The great American thought trap: It is not real
unless it can be seen on television or bought in a
shopping mall"

menu boy

"katie" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > menu boy wrote:
> > > Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> > > since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> > > I'm sure it's high.

> > Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
> > the brewing process?
> >

> any idea how you'd turn a bike into a generator? during the big ice storm
> up here in ontario & quebec, there were lotsa news specials on how folks
> were coping, and i remember seeing in one segment that this dude had turned
> a stationary bike into a generator, so if he wanted to boil some water, he
> just had to hop on his bike for about a half hour. thought that was neat;
> i'd love to be able to feed my home's power supply just by hopping on a
> bike. just don't know how. could probably find instructions on the
> net...hmm...

This wouldn't be necessary to brew beer, but maybe you could as
the Professor about a bamboo generator.

menu boy

"katie" > wrote in message
.rogers.com...

> "Steve" > wrote in message
> > menu boy wrote:
> > > Heh, actually I know *exactly* why I can't lose weight....beer. And
> > > since I brew my own, I have no idea what the caloric content is, but
> > > I'm sure it's high.

> > Maybe you can hook up an exercise bike to be the generator you need for
> > the brewing process?
> >

> any idea how you'd turn a bike into a generator? during the big ice storm
> up here in ontario & quebec, there were lotsa news specials on how folks
> were coping, and i remember seeing in one segment that this dude had turned
> a stationary bike into a generator, so if he wanted to boil some water, he
> just had to hop on his bike for about a half hour. thought that was neat;
> i'd love to be able to feed my home's power supply just by hopping on a
> bike. just don't know how. could probably find instructions on the
> net...hmm...

This wouldn't be necessary to brew beer, but maybe you could as
the Professor about a bamboo generator.

Buying dumpling press (big size) and warpper for that size Manda Ruby General Cooking 11 13-07-2010 02:14 AM
Serving size metspitzer General Cooking 16 07-07-2008 05:57 PM
Serving size James Silverton[_2_] General Cooking 11 28-01-2008 04:40 PM
Serving Size ? No Name General Cooking 1 20-08-2007 07:37 PM
Right size : Prep Bowl size pltrgyst[_1_] Cooking Equipment 2 18-05-2007 03:10 AM