Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default what to do with crusts

Just finished making smoked salmon pinwheels... well, they're still in
their roll un stage now. Haven't cut them yet. Anyway, I now have
roughly a quart of dark rye crusts that I don't know what to do with.
If I was in snow country, I'd toss them out for the birds and other
wild life. As it is now.... I don't want to encourage any wild life
like mice and raccoons.

So, is there anything I can do with them? Dark rye is too dark to
make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
do, if anything?

TIA

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Just finished making smoked salmon pinwheels... well, they're still in
> their roll un stage now. Haven't cut them yet. Anyway, I now have
> roughly a quart of dark rye crusts that I don't know what to do with.
> If I was in snow country, I'd toss them out for the birds and other
> wild life. As it is now.... I don't want to encourage any wild life
> like mice and raccoons.
>
> So, is there anything I can do with them? Dark rye is too dark to
> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
> do, if anything?

I think they'd be perfectly fine as croutons, sort of like pumpernickel
ones. Just be careful not to burn them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>>
>> Just finished making smoked salmon pinwheels... well, they're still in
>> their roll un stage now. Haven't cut them yet. Anyway, I now have
>> roughly a quart of dark rye crusts that I don't know what to do with.
>> If I was in snow country, I'd toss them out for the birds and other
>> wild life. As it is now.... I don't want to encourage any wild life
>> like mice and raccoons.
>>
>> So, is there anything I can do with them? Dark rye is too dark to
>> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
>> do, if anything?

> I think they'd be perfectly fine as croutons, sort of like pumpernickel
> ones. Just be careful not to burn them.

Make some garlic croutons and mix them with pretzels, peanuts etc. for a
snack mix.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 6:28�pm, "Janet B." > wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>
> ...> sf wrote:
>
> >> Just finished making smoked salmon pinwheels... well, they're still in
> >> their roll un stage now. �Haven't cut them yet. �Anyway, I now have
> >> roughly a quart of dark rye crusts that I don't know what to do with.
> >> If I was in snow country, I'd toss them out for the birds and other
> >> wild life. �As it is now.... I don't want to encourage any wild life
> >> like mice and raccoons.

> >> So, is there anything I can do with them? �Dark rye is too dark to
> >> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
> >> do, if anything?

> > I think they'd be perfectly fine as croutons, sort of like pumpernickel
> > ones. Just be careful not to burn them.

> Make some garlic croutons and mix them with pretzels, peanuts etc. for a
> snack mix.
> Janet

Feed the birds
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Dec 2007 09:22:44p, pamjd told us...

> On Dec 31, 6:28�pm, "Janet B." > wrote:

in

>> > I think they'd be perfectly fine as croutons, sort of like

pumpernickel
>> > ones. Just be careful not to burn them.

>> Make some garlic croutons and mix them with pretzels, peanuts etc. for a
>> snack mix.
>> Janet

> Feed the birds

Tuppence a bag...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 12(XII)/31(XXXI)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
2hrs
To discover one knows nothing is the
beginning of wisdom.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:
> On Dec 31, 6:28?pm, "Janet B." > wrote:

>>> I think they'd be perfectly fine as croutons, sort of like
>>> pumpernickel ones. Just be careful not to burn them.

>> Make some garlic croutons and mix them with pretzels, peanuts etc.
>> for a snack mix.
>> Janet

> Feed the birds

Quote:

" If I was in snow country, I'd toss them out for the birds and other
> >> wild life. ?As it is now.... I don't want to encourage any wild life
> >> like mice and raccoons."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 31 Dec 2007 09:22:44p, pamjd told us...
>
>> On Dec 31, 6:28�pm, "Janet B." > wrote:

>>> Make some garlic croutons and mix them with pretzels, peanuts etc.
>>> for a snack mix.
>>> Janet

>> Feed the birds
>>

> Tuppence a bag...

Hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> So, is there anything I can do with them? Dark rye is too dark to
> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
> do, if anything?
>
> TIA

Dark Rye or pumpernickle makes great baked unseasoned croutons to serve
under some chipped beef or chicken ala king and the like. My mother
often used half dark breads and half Italian white for these dishes and
we all loved them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> Dark rye is too dark to
> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
> do, if anything?

No it isn't. Dark rye makes for excellent crutons.
--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 09:01:01 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> So, is there anything I can do with them? Dark rye is too dark to
>> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
>> do, if anything?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>Dark Rye or pumpernickle makes great baked unseasoned croutons to serve
>under some chipped beef or chicken ala king and the like. My mother
>often used half dark breads and half Italian white for these dishes and
>we all loved them.

That's interesting, thanks! I bought some Stouffer's creamed chipped
beef last week because I've been Jonesing for some. Haven't had it in
years. If I remember correctly, it's on the salty side. Would adding
some light cream to the mixture would help cut down on the salty
flavor?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 15:47:57 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>sf wrote in :
>
>> Dark rye is too dark to
>> make bread crumbs or croutons, which is my usual answer.... what can I
>> do, if anything?
>>

>No it isn't. Dark rye makes for excellent crutons.

So many people have said croutons, I'll give it a try.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Maddening pie crusts notbob[_5_] General Cooking 334 20-01-2011 12:42 PM
Bread Crusts Goomba38 General Cooking 21 18-01-2008 10:57 PM
Meringue crusts Allan Matthews General Cooking 1 22-12-2004 06:21 PM
Crusts keep cracking Keven Ruf Sourdough 2 21-11-2003 05:30 AM
pie crusts Louise Lewis Baking 0 02-10-2003 11:59 PM