Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crustless quiche type dish?

I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
so I could use some advice.

I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
to make a crust.

Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.

I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
omelette I'd eat now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 9:52*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
> so I could use some advice.
>
> I want to make a quiche without a crust. *I have the eggs,
> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
> to make a crust.
>
> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? *Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>
> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
> omelette I'd eat now.

That's the only kind I've ever made. I just bake it in a square Pyrex
baking dish that's well buttered. Even then, it always sticks.
Careful not to burn it too.

That sounds good right now.

> nancy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo BonoboŽ" > wrote

On Dec 30, 9:52 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>> to make a crust.

>> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
>> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
>> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.

>> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
>> omelette I'd eat now.

>That's the only kind I've ever made. I just bake it in a square Pyrex
>baking dish that's well buttered. Even then, it always sticks.
>Careful not to burn it too.

Thanks! Appreciate it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
>I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
> so I could use some advice.
>
> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
> to make a crust.
>
> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>
> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
> omelette I'd eat now.
>
> nancy

Nancy, I'm a diabetic quiche lover who has been making *only* crustless
quiches for several years. Follow whatever recipe you have for the filling;
just spray your pie pan/plate well with nonstick spray. I've never had a
problem with quiche filling sticking to the pan. If you're using a glass
pie plate, lower your oven temp 25°F. I run a knife around the edge before
slicing the finished product, just in case there's a spot the nonstick spray
missed.

You can also make crustless mini-quiches: Spray Pyrex dessert dishes with
nonstick spray and fill 2/3 full. Start checking for doneness at about 25
minutes. The quiches will easily come out of the dishes. I freeze them, as
they're great to have on hand for a quick breakfast or simple meal; just
thaw and reheat.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 08:00:24 -0800 (PST), "Bobo BonoboŽ"
> wrote:

>On Dec 30, 9:52*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
>> omelette I'd eat now.

>That's the only kind I've ever made. I just bake it in a square Pyrex
>baking dish that's well buttered. Even then, it always sticks.
>Careful not to burn it too.
>
>That sounds good right now.

Just put a sheet of baking paper (first wet it thoroughly, then wring
well), in the dish to solve that problem.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:34:29 GMT, "Karen in NC"
> wrote:

>"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
>> so I could use some advice.
>>
>> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>> to make a crust.
>>
>> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
>> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
>> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>>
>> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
>> omelette I'd eat now.
>>
>> nancy

I just went to an "upscale" little restaurant in Honolulu and that is
what they served when we asked for the quiche on the menu. It was
delicious. The quiche had a sort of rice base but I think the rice
just became the bottom layer when it was cooked. It had ham and
mortadella. They served a small side of lettuce greens with small
amounts of rocket and other greens with a light balsamic dressing, on
the same plate, and it was a really tasty combination. The quiche
looked like it was cooked in a square glass dish.

I'd say go for it!

aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:52:49 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
>so I could use some advice.
>
>I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>to make a crust.
>
>Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
>bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
>and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>
>I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
>omelette I'd eat now.
>
>nancy

I've made crustless quiche several times, no problem. Just spray or
butter your quiche pan well.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/28

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen in NC" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>> to make a crust.

> Nancy, I'm a diabetic quiche lover who has been making *only* crustless
> quiches for several years.

Heh, I figure I'm the only one not doing this around here.

> Follow whatever recipe you have for the filling; just spray your pie
> pan/plate well with nonstick spray. I've never had a problem with quiche
> filling sticking to the pan. If you're using a glass pie plate, lower
> your oven temp 25°F.

Very interesting.

> I run a knife around the edge before slicing the finished product, just
> in case there's a spot the nonstick spray missed.
>
> You can also make crustless mini-quiches: Spray Pyrex dessert dishes with
> nonstick spray and fill 2/3 full. Start checking for doneness at about 25
> minutes. The quiches will easily come out of the dishes. I freeze them,
> as they're great to have on hand for a quick breakfast or simple meal;
> just thaw and reheat.

That's another great idea. Thanks a million.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
>so I could use some advice.
>
>I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>to make a crust.
>
>Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
>bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
>and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>
>I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
>omelette I'd eat now.
>
>nancy

You could use a stabilizer - Betty Crocker.com uses Bisquick
http://www.bettycrockercatalog.com/R...peIdList=36603
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...recipeId=36500

or not - you can find lots of crustless quiche recipes on the net
http://www.usaweekend.com/06_issues/...cooksmart.html
scroll down

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crustless quiche type dish? - result

For what it's worth, here's how it looks:

http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg

Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
forgot about the bacon being salty.

Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>
> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
> forgot about the bacon being salty.
>
> Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?
>
> nancy

Yum - looks good enough to eat!!

Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:32:13 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>
>http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>
>http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>
>Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>forgot about the bacon being salty.
>
>Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?
>
>nancy

You did great girl. Nice photos also.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.

This is what I made for breakfast for 3 this morning.
9 eggs and a cup of milk, salt, pepper, dash of hot sauce
1/2 a green, 1/2 a red, 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 a diced onion
1/4 pound of diced mushrooms
1/4 pound of diced pastrami

Sauteed all the veggies and dumped them and the pastrami into the beaten
eggs, scrambled it all up, then poured it into a pyrex baking pan,
sprinkled some jack and cheddar cheese on top, then in the oven for 20
minutes at 425 degrees. Let cool for five minutes, then slice. We
served it with some simple tomato salsa on top, along side a bowl of
bananas and cantoulope mixed with vanilla yogurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<koko> wrote

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:32:13 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>
>>http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>
>>http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>
>>Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>>forgot about the bacon being salty.
>>
>>Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?

> You did great girl. Nice photos also.

Oh, thank you! I went in tight so the grease spattered
stove wouldn't show. (laugh) Came out well, I won't
be bothering with the crust from now on.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

From: "limey" >
>Nancy Young wrote:
>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:

>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg

>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg

>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>> forgot about the bacon being salty.

>Yum - looks good enough to eat!!

Heh ... it was! Worst part was stemming all that baby spinach.
I kind of like little repetitive tasks but dang, what a chore.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out, I know I missed
a couple. I do appreciate it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:13:25 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

><koko> wrote
>
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:32:13 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>>
>>>http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>>
>>>http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>>
>>>Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>>>forgot about the bacon being salty.
>>>
>>>Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?

>> You did great girl. Nice photos also.

>Oh, thank you! I went in tight so the grease spattered
>stove wouldn't show. (laugh)

See, you are well on your way to great food photograpy ;-)

>Came out well, I won't be bothering with the crust from now on.
>
>nancy

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 12/30

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 7:13*pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> <koko> wrote
> > On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:32:13 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> > wrote:

> Oh, thank you! *I went in tight so the grease spattered
> stove wouldn't show. *(laugh) *Came out well, I won't
> be bothering with the crust from now on.
>
> nancy

WOW... that looks good!! NICE job and thanks for sharing!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>
> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
> forgot about the bacon being salty.
>
> Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?
>
> nancy

Looks fantastic!

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>
>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>
>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>
>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>> forgot about the bacon being salty.
>>
>> Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?

> Looks fantastic!

Thanks! Hope you had a blast on your cruise.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 02:32:13p, Nancy Young told us...

> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>
> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
> forgot about the bacon being salty.
>
> Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?
>
> nancy

Nancy, this looks really delicious!!! Can you post the recipe you used? I
want to make this tomorrow night.

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 2hrs 50mins
Never judge a man till you have walked
a mile in his shoes, 'cuz by then,
he's a mile away, you've got his
shoes, and you can say anything then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 02:32:13p, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>
>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>
>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>
>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>> forgot about the bacon being salty.

> Nancy, this looks really delicious!!! Can you post the recipe you used?
> want to make this tomorrow night.

Wow! Thanks for the compliment. I made it from the leftover ingredients
from the spinach salad I made a couple of days ago.

Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
simmer and wilt.

While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
(maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.

Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
it came out of the pan easily.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 09:43:54p, Nancy Young told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 02:32:13p, Nancy Young told us...
>>
>>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>>
>>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>>
>>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>>> forgot about the bacon being salty.

>> Nancy, this looks really delicious!!! Can you post the recipe you used?
>> want to make this tomorrow night.

> Wow! Thanks for the compliment. I made it from the leftover ingredients
> from the spinach salad I made a couple of days ago.
>
> Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
> Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
> sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
> I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
> spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
> simmer and wilt.
>
> While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
> (maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
> cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
> I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
> Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.
>
> Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
> it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
> pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
> it came out of the pan easily.
>
> nancy

Thanks, Nancy. This looks like a keeper! I was looking for something else
to have for NYE, and this is it!

Have a happy!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 2hrs
Eleven tons of hair stolen. Police
combing area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
news
> nancy

Does this look about right?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Nancy's Crustless Quiche

4 strips thick cut bacon
1 cup onion; diced
1 cup mushroom; sliced
1/2 bag baby spinach; stems removed
3 eggs; whisked
1 cup light cream
nutmeg; to taste
salt and pepper; to taste
1/2 cup white cheddar
1/2 cup parmesan

[...]

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Dec 2007 11:51:19p, hahabogus told us...

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in
> news >
>> nancy
>>

> Does this look about right?
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Nancy's Crustless Quiche
>

> 4 strips thick cut bacon
> 1 cup onion; diced
> 1 cup mushroom; sliced
> 1/2 bag baby spinach; stems removed
> 3 eggs; whisked
> 1 cup light cream
> nutmeg; to taste
> salt and pepper; to taste
> 1/2 cup white cheddar
> 1/2 cup parmesan
>

> Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
> Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
> sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
> I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
> spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
> simmer and wilt.
>
> While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
> (maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
> cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
> I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
> Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.
>
> Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
> it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
> pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
> it came out of the pan easily.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **

That's the ticket, Alan. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)
Countdown till New Years
1dys 5mins
'How are we doing?' 'Same as always'
'That bad, huh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

> Does this look about right?

Thanks, Alan! That looks very good, though I only used a
heaping teaspoon or parm. If anyone knows how big that bag
of spinach is from Costco, that would help describe it. I think
the bag contained a pound, therefore it would be 1/2 pound.

Happy New Year. nancy

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Nancy's Crustless Quiche
>

> 4 strips thick cut bacon
> 1 cup onion; diced
> 1 cup mushroom; sliced
> 1/2 bag baby spinach; stems removed
> 3 eggs; whisked
> 1 cup light cream
> nutmeg; to taste
> salt and pepper; to taste
> 1/2 cup white cheddar
> 1/2 cup parmesan
>

> Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
> Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
> sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
> I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
> spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
> simmer and wilt.
>
> While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
> (maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
> cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
> I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
> Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.
>
> Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
> it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
> pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
> it came out of the pan easily.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **
>

> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> I should know this, but I don't make things like this often,
> so I could use some advice.
>
> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
> to make a crust.
>
> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.
>
> I want something I can put into the refrigerator for later, not an
> omelette I'd eat now.
>
> nancy

Nancy, would you post the quantities please? Thanks....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
>> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
>> to make a crust.

> Nancy, would you post the quantities please? Thanks....Sharon

hahabogus did a good job of it; look in this thread with the
- result heading. It was strictly a matter of what I had left
in the refrigerator, I'm just lucky it turned out well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Becca" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>>
>>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>>
>>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>>> forgot about the bacon being salty.
>>>
>>> Nice appetizer, now what's for dinner?

>> Looks fantastic!

> Thanks! Hope you had a blast on your cruise.
>
> nancy

Thanks for remembering. The cruise was wonderful. The weather was
sunny, warm and beautiful. We cruise again in less than three weeks, but
this time we will be escorting a group of 100 people. I get to work and
play all at the same time. I hope everyone's flights makes it to San
Juan. The weather in the winter is so unpredictable.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> On Sun 30 Dec 2007 02:32:13p, Nancy Young told us...
>>
>>> For what it's worth, here's how it looks:
>>>
>>> http://i15.tinypic.com/6k0bmfp.jpg
>>>
>>> http://i18.tinypic.com/6t0tlbc.jpg
>>>
>>> Came out nice, though I overdid it with the salt a little bit ...
>>> forgot about the bacon being salty.

>> Nancy, this looks really delicious!!! Can you post the recipe you used?
>> want to make this tomorrow night.

> Wow! Thanks for the compliment. I made it from the leftover ingredients
> from the spinach salad I made a couple of days ago.
>
> Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
> Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
> sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
> I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
> spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
> simmer and wilt.
>
> While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
> (maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
> cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
> I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
> Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.
>
> Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
> it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
> pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
> it came out of the pan easily.
>
> nancy

Thanks for the info. Since I am living "la vita low-carb", I can have
this on my diet. How great is that.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Nancy's Crustless Quiche
>
> 4 strips thick cut bacon
> 1 cup onion; diced
> 1 cup mushroom; sliced
> 1/2 bag baby spinach; stems removed
> 3 eggs; whisked
> 1 cup light cream
> nutmeg; to taste
> salt and pepper; to taste
> 1/2 cup white cheddar
> 1/2 cup parmesan
>

> Cooked 4 slices of thick cut bacon in a large saute pan.
> Removed the bacon when it was crisp, sauteed diced onion and
> sliced mushrooms in the bacon drippings. When they were softened,
> I removed them and added a big bunch (half that container of baby
> spinach leaves from Costco, stems removed) to the pan and let it
> simmer and wilt.
>
> While that was cooking down, I whisked 3 eggs, some light cream
> (maybe 8 ounces), salt pepper and grated nutmeg. Stirred in some
> cheddar (I had a cube of white sharp) that I'd cut up into matchsticks.
> I added some grated parm because I didn't have much cheddar.
> Rough chopped the bacon and added that, along with the spinach.
>
> Baked it at 350 for a half hour, 35 minutes. In other words, I winged
> it. I don't think it was enough 'stuff' for a square Pyrex. I'd use a
> pie pan. I sprayed the glass baking dish I had with non-stick spray,
> it came out of the pan easily.
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **

Thanks!

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> *Without the pastry base to hold it, the egg custard will break up very
> easily making it difficult to serve neat portions. * I'd make and serve
> it in individual dishes (or failing that, a non-stick pie dish)
>
> * *Janet

That has not been my experience at all. I make a salmon quiche and
also regular bacon or sausage quiche without crusts, and it cuts and
serves very well without the crust - no "breaking up" - I bake them in
a round pie plate, and I can cut and serve a piece just like I do
baked custard. If the milk, egg and cheese is proportionately
correct, there shouldn't be any difficulty in cutting and serving neat
pieces.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:04:53 -0600, justen > wrote:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Can I just do the usual routine, saute all the vegetables and
>> bacon, incorporate them with the eggs and cream (and nutmeg
>> and s&p) and bake it in a pie dish? Or is that idea fatally flawed.

>This is what I made for breakfast for 3 this morning.
>9 eggs and a cup of milk, salt, pepper, dash of hot sauce
>1/2 a green, 1/2 a red, 1/2 a yellow bell pepper, diced
>1/2 a diced onion
>1/4 pound of diced mushrooms
>1/4 pound of diced pastrami
>
>Sauteed all the veggies and dumped them and the pastrami into the beaten
>eggs, scrambled it all up, then poured it into a pyrex baking pan,
>sprinkled some jack and cheddar cheese on top, then in the oven for 20
>minutes at 425 degrees. Let cool for five minutes, then slice. We
>served it with some simple tomato salsa on top, along side a bowl of
>bananas and cantoulope mixed with vanilla yogurt.

Don't tell me... Vanilla yogurt as a *side dish* to something with
pastrami, mushroom, onions and bell peppers in it? Oh no....

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:
> Don't tell me... Vanilla yogurt as a *side dish* to something with
> pastrami, mushroom, onions and bell peppers in it? Oh no....

Err, well, uhm. It wasn't exactly a side dish. We wanted something
light and fruity to go with breakfast. And we had some very ripe
cantaloupe that needed to be consumed. Ok, maybe it was a sidedish. ;-)

Really, it isn't _that_ far fetched. I often serve Indian lamb curries
with with a yogurt/cucumber/mint chutney. My habanero and grilled
chicken pizza gets an accompaniment of vanilla ice cream. I like the
contrast of sweet and salty/spicy served together. Who can resist
chocolate covered pretzels? Or hot chocolate with a dash of chile powder?

Justen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "biig" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> I want to make a quiche without a crust. I have the eggs,
> >> spinach, mushrooms, bacon, onion ... I just don't have or want
> >> to make a crust.

> > Nancy, would you post the quantities please? Thanks....Sharon

> hahabogus did a good job of it; look in this thread with the
> - result heading. It was strictly a matter of what I had left
> in the refrigerator, I'm just lucky it turned out well.
>
> nancy

Thanks Nancy. I posted too quickly...Sharon