Peter Aitken

Default Kitchen myths - URL and thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of the
ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus some
of my own, and the result can be viewed at

http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

--
Peter Aitken

Reg

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of the
> ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus some
> of my own, and the result can be viewed at
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Outstanding! I enjoyed reading it much more than the other "myth"
pages that were pointed out. You outdid them.

Z GIRL

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of the
> ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus some
> of my own, and the result can be viewed at
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

Very nice job Peter!

peace,
Barbara

> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Julianne

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
m...
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of the
> ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus some
> of my own, and the result can be viewed at
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

That is such a cool site. This weekend, I was making a recipe for cheese
bread that won the Pillbury Bake Off in 1951. It called for scalded milk.
I had no clue why I should scald the milk, but I did. Reading the posted
site, it was probably because not all milk was pasteurized when the recipe
was designed.

Robert Klute

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:33:44 -0500, "Julianne" >
wrote:

>That is such a cool site. This weekend, I was making a recipe for cheese
>bread that won the Pillbury Bake Off in 1951. It called for scalded milk.
>I had no clue why I should scald the milk, but I did. Reading the posted
>site, it was probably because not all milk was pasteurized when the recipe
>was designed.

That one was new to me, also. I never knew why. I just always assumed
that it had to do with changing the flavor or flavor extraction of the
vanilla bean or other spices I put in.

I guess that is where myths and legends come from - people not wanting
to say "I don't know" when asked why.

Julianne

"Robert Klute" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:33:44 -0500, "Julianne" >
> wrote:
>
> >That is such a cool site. This weekend, I was making a recipe for cheese
> >bread that won the Pillbury Bake Off in 1951. It called for scalded

milk.
> >I had no clue why I should scald the milk, but I did. Reading the posted
> >site, it was probably because not all milk was pasteurized when the

recipe
> >was designed.

> That one was new to me, also. I never knew why. I just always assumed
> that it had to do with changing the flavor or flavor extraction of the
> vanilla bean or other spices I put in.
>
> I guess that is where myths and legends come from - people not wanting
> to say "I don't know" when asked why.

I'm fascinated with this stuff. My only regret is that I didn't know of
this site on Sunday when my BF's daughter was panicking because she needed
to turn in a proposal for a science fair project. Some of those interesting
facts would have lent themselves nicely to a 6th grade science fair. (By
the way, we settled on how the speed of an arrow affects the penetration.
Boring..........)

levelwave

Julianne wrote:

> By the way, we settled on how the speed of an arrow affects the
> penetration. Boring..........)

Not if that arrow is aimed at a Chicken... which is going to be used for
stock... in a big pot of hot water... right alongside a big pot of cold
water... that we are timing to see which boils faster...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

Miche

In article <Swilb.107053$k74.5946@lakeread05>,
"Julianne" > wrote:

> I'm fascinated with this stuff. My only regret is that I didn't know of
> this site on Sunday when my BF's daughter was panicking because she needed
> to turn in a proposal for a science fair project. Some of those interesting
> facts would have lent themselves nicely to a 6th grade science fair. (By
> the way, we settled on how the speed of an arrow affects the penetration.
> Boring..........)

Not if you're an archer (which I am).

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Vince Poroke

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message om>...
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of the
> ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus some
> of my own, and the result can be viewed at
>
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

Clarification:
Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
around.

The discussion of which is better gas or electric. You didn't take in
to account a measure of importance for each example. For me
responsiveness carries an 8 out of ten while using a wok is a 1 out of
10. The argument can still be made that gas is better based on how
you rate the test criteria. Does electric not also heat up the air
around the pan causing it to rise, that reasoning is difficult to
swallow.

Aluminum and Alzheimer's: Though this is true absorption and
transference of aluminum in to the body by way of the cooking utensil
is still a concern. It may not cause Alzheimer's but too much aluminum
can still be harmful.
Jack Schidt®

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

om>...
> > Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of

the
> > ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> > seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus

some
> > of my own, and the result can be viewed at
> >
> > http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

> Clarification:
> Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> around.

Wanna 'splain that to me, Lucy? I ain't gettin' it.

Jack Agua

Glenn Jacobs

On 22 Oct 2003 08:57:41 -0700, Vince Poroke wrote:

> Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> around.

Well Vince this one is really hard to believe, If you have a source I would
appreciate it. I may give it a try just for the heck of it.

JakeInHartsel
Peter Aitken

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

om>...
> > Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. I couldn't use all of

the
> > ideas - some seemed too specialized, some I couldn't verify, and others
> > seemed too obscure to qualify as a myth. But I used quite a few, plus

some
> > of my own, and the result can be viewed at
> >
> > http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm

> Clarification:
> Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> around.

Absolute nonsense. I mean, real world-class nonsense. But thanks, I'll have
to add this to the myth.

> The discussion of which is better gas or electric. You didn't take in
> to account a measure of importance for each example. For me
> responsiveness carries an 8 out of ten while using a wok is a 1 out of
> 10. The argument can still be made that gas is better based on how
> you rate the test criteria. Does electric not also heat up the air
> around the pan causing it to rise, that reasoning is difficult to
> swallow.

Yes, but each person has to decide the level of importance for themselves.
My point was not that gas or electric would not be better for you or some
other individual, but that objectively, ignoring individual preferences, you
cannot say that gas is better than electric. Well, *you* can say it I
suppose but you would be wrong.

> Aluminum and Alzheimer's: Though this is true absorption and
> transference of aluminum in to the body by way of the cooking utensil
> is still a concern. It may not cause Alzheimer's but too much aluminum
> can still be harmful.

References that the amount of aluminum you can get from cookware can be
harmful? Ah, I didn't think so.

--
Peter Aitken

Vince Poroke

> > Clarification:
> > Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> > if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> > cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> > found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> > around.

> Absolute nonsense. I mean, real world-class nonsense. But thanks, I'll have
> to add this to the myth.

Peter, if you are going to write something as gospel you should expect
people to repudiate your claims. I am sure that you have other things
in your life worth getting upset over far more than an annonomous
posting on some news group. Enjoy life my friend it is too short to
pee in the pool for the warm spot.

I can only base this information on a group that spends their time
doing an outstanding job of busting myths "Straight Dope". They could
be wrong but that is what they stated.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_101c.html

> > The discussion of which is better gas or electric. You didn't take in
> > to account a measure of importance for each example. For me
> > responsiveness carries an 8 out of ten while using a wok is a 1 out of
> > 10. The argument can still be made that gas is better based on how
> > you rate the test criteria. Does electric not also heat up the air
> > around the pan causing it to rise, that reasoning is difficult to
> > swallow.

> Yes, but each person has to decide the level of importance for themselves.
> My point was not that gas or electric would not be better for you or some
> other individual, but that objectively, ignoring individual preferences, you
> cannot say that gas is better than electric. Well, *you* can say it I
> suppose but you would be wrong.

But all the examples you gave for determining that Gas is not better
than electric are subjective individual preferences. Your point was
to prove that gas is not better than electric. My god man that is
what the whole myth thing was about. Now you say it is about
individual preference and then at the bottom you again contradict
yourself by writing "Well, *you* can say it I suppose but you would be
wrong.". Gas is better than electric for what I feel is important in
my cooking. There is no myth there for repudiation. That is my
point. Gas/Electric is not a myth.

> > Aluminum and Alzheimer's: Though this is true absorption and
> > transference of aluminum in to the body by way of the cooking utensil
> > is still a concern. It may not cause Alzheimer's but too much aluminum
> > can still be harmful.

> References that the amount of aluminum you can get from cookware can be
> harmful? Ah, I didn't think so.

Peter Aitken

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...

> > > Clarification:
> > > Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> > > if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> > > cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> > > found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> > > around.

> > Absolute nonsense. I mean, real world-class nonsense. But thanks, I'll

have
> > to add this to the myth.

> Peter, if you are going to write something as gospel you should expect
> people to repudiate your claims. I am sure that you have other things
> in your life worth getting upset over far more than an annonomous
> posting on some news group. Enjoy life my friend it is too short to
> pee in the pool for the warm spot.
>
> I can only base this information on a group that spends their time
> doing an outstanding job of busting myths "Straight Dope". They could
> be wrong but that is what they stated.
> http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_101c.html

OK, you repeated someone else's nonsense. I assure you that they are wrong.
In any case, take a good look at that site and then decide how seriously you
want to take it.

> > > The discussion of which is better gas or electric. You didn't take in
> > > to account a measure of importance for each example. For me
> > > responsiveness carries an 8 out of ten while using a wok is a 1 out of
> > > 10. The argument can still be made that gas is better based on how
> > > you rate the test criteria. Does electric not also heat up the air
> > > around the pan causing it to rise, that reasoning is difficult to
> > > swallow.

> > Yes, but each person has to decide the level of importance for

themselves.
> > My point was not that gas or electric would not be better for you or

some
> > other individual, but that objectively, ignoring individual preferences,

you
> > cannot say that gas is better than electric. Well, *you* can say it I
> > suppose but you would be wrong.

> But all the examples you gave for determining that Gas is not better
> than electric are subjective individual preferences. Your point was
> to prove that gas is not better than electric. My god man that is
> what the whole myth thing was about. Now you say it is about
> individual preference and then at the bottom you again contradict
> yourself by writing "Well, *you* can say it I suppose but you would be
> wrong.". Gas is better than electric for what I feel is important in
> my cooking. There is no myth there for repudiation. That is my
> point. Gas/Electric is not a myth.

I must disagree with you - all the factors that I list are completely
objective. How important each one is to you, or to me, or to John Doe - that
is subjective. Please note that I am not claiming "electric is better than
gas" because I don't believe that. You may not care one bit that gas heats
up the kitchen more, but it does not change the fact that it *does* heat up
the kitchen more. That's the difference between objective and subject, which
quite frankly you seem to be a bit confused about. You seem to almost
understand when you say above "Gas is better than electric for what I feel
is important in my cooking." Note your use of "I" and "my" - this is your
subjective opinion and I have no quarrel with it. As for the myth, you may
not have noticed but a lot of people claim that gas is *always* better than
electric, that you should *always* choose gas over electric when the choice
is available. That's the myth and that's what I have debunked.

Peter G. Aitken

Bob

Peter wrote:

> As for the myth, you may not have noticed but a lot of people claim that
> gas is *always* better than electric, that you should *always* choose gas
> over electric when the choice is available. That's the myth and that's
> what I have debunked.

Until I read this post, it never occurred to me that the choice between gas
and electric could not only apply to cooking but also to executions.

Which is better, the gas chamber or the electric chair?

(Just a little gallows humor here, trying to inject a little levity; please
don't shoot me for it.)

Bob

Dan Abel

In article >,
(Vince Poroke) wrote:

> > > Clarification:
> > > Room temperature water can boil faster than hot water out of the tap
> > > if.... the room temperature water was previously boiled and allowed to
> > > cool. That's because boiling gets rid of the dissolved oxygen usually
> > > found in water, making it easier for the water to boil the second time
> > > around.

> > Absolute nonsense. I mean, real world-class nonsense. But thanks, I'll have
> > to add this to the myth.

> I can only base this information on a group that spends their time
> doing an outstanding job of busting myths "Straight Dope". They could
> be wrong but that is what they stated.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_101c.html

Doesn't seem believable to me. However, I found a reference that says
that water without disolved gases can take *longer* to boil *sometimes*:

[begin quote]

In regards to your discussion of superheating water in a microwave oven,
I've found that it occurs most often when (1) I reheat water that has been
heated before and (2) I heat water that has sat in the cup
overnight. Why does that seem to reduce the number of seed bubbles? - JS

Both processes allow dissolved gases to escape from the water so
that they can't serve as seed bubbles for boiling. When you heat water and
then let it cool, the gases that came out of solution as
small bubbles on the walls of the container escape into the air and
are not available when you reheat the water. When you let the water sit
out overnight, those same dissolved gases have time to
escape into the air and this also reduces the number and size of
the gas bubbles that form when you finally heat the water. Without those
dissolved gases and the bubbles they form during heating it's
much harder for the steam bubbles to form when the water reaches
boiling. The water can then superheat more easily.

[end quote]

http://home.howstuffworks.com/framed...ave_ovens.html

What the above is saying is that under certain conditions (no bubbles and
perfectly smooth container), water can be heated beyond the boiling
point. However, once something disturbs the superheated water, it will
basically explode.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Any Other Kitchen "Myths"? Alan Holbrook[_5_] General Cooking 215 03-11-2013 06:54 PM
7 Steak Myths jr-bod Barbecue 3 14-06-2013 09:45 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<more myths>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [email protected] General Cooking 0 10-12-2007 03:40 AM
Some kitchen cutlery myths debunked. Fred Cooking Equipment 8 21-05-2004 02:40 PM
Kitchen myths Peter Aitken General Cooking 98 24-10-2003 09:30 PM