Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Garbage Disposal

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> You have no idea what garbage can smell like after it sits
> in 110-115 degree heat, even for a few hours, and even when
> sealed in plastic bags.

To combat this, some homeowners build little structures to provide
shade for their garbage cans...

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

>My tub always gets clogged when my daughter uses it. She must shed like
>crazy. She had super long hair and every time she washed her hair in the
>tub I would have to use a device to get the hair out of the drain. Never
>seems to happen when I bathe, but I have shorter hair.

You must have a build-up somewhere in your drain system if
problems develop this readily. Have a plumber look at your
lateral pipe. Also, query your neighbors to find if they
also have drainage problems -- once, the city sewage line
that runs down my street was itself clogged. It turned out
some individual was routinely flushing disposable diapers
in large numbers. That pipe is over a foot in diameter
and still it clogged.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:19:03 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:32:48 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Any thoughts?

>> Replace it. They do wear out.

>It's less than a year old. The plumber that put the new one in told me
>never to use it.

I can't imagine a scenario like that. Maybe he's covering up a bad
installation. Why bother getting one if you can't use it? The
concept is mind boggling.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Do you have one? Do you use it?
> But I find this hard to believe that I can never use the disposal. I've
> lived in plenty of places and most of them had disposals. I've never had
> problems like this. Except for the time I tried to put the daisies down
> the disposal. I figured they were kind of like salad. But I've also been
> told salad should never go down the disposal either. In fact I tried
> looking it up and found all sorts of conflicting advice on what I should
> or should not put down it.
>
> Any thoughts?

No longer have one, but always used it a lot before.
That's nuts. Your plumber is nuts. The cheapest and most ordinary disposal
I ever had in apartments would do anything you mentioned.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> Do you have one? Do you use it?
>
> I ask because I have one that I very rarely use. My sink has
> a tendency to clog and every time I use the disposal, I fear
> that it will clog again.

I got rid of mine. I figure I'm composting in a round about way.
All my eggs shells, rinds etc.. go to the dump in a paper bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>My tub always gets clogged when my daughter uses it. She must shed like
>>crazy. She had super long hair and every time she washed her hair in the
>>tub I would have to use a device to get the hair out of the drain. Never
>>seems to happen when I bathe, but I have shorter hair.

> You must have a build-up somewhere in your drain system if
> problems develop this readily. Have a plumber look at your
> lateral pipe. Also, query your neighbors to find if they
> also have drainage problems -- once, the city sewage line
> that runs down my street was itself clogged. It turned out
> some individual was routinely flushing disposable diapers
> in large numbers. That pipe is over a foot in diameter
> and still it clogged.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>My tub always gets clogged when my daughter uses it. She must shed like
>>crazy. She had super long hair and every time she washed her hair in the
>>tub I would have to use a device to get the hair out of the drain. Never
>>seems to happen when I bathe, but I have shorter hair.

> You must have a build-up somewhere in your drain system if
> problems develop this readily. Have a plumber look at your
> lateral pipe. Also, query your neighbors to find if they
> also have drainage problems -- once, the city sewage line
> that runs down my street was itself clogged. It turned out
> some individual was routinely flushing disposable diapers
> in large numbers. That pipe is over a foot in diameter
> and still it clogged.

Only one tub clogs. The toilet in that same bathroom clogs. Not the other
one. Hmmm...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:19:03 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>><sf> wrote in message ...

>>> Replace it. They do wear out.

>>It's less than a year old. The plumber that put the new one in told me
>>never to use it.
>>

> I can't imagine a scenario like that. Maybe he's covering up a bad
> installation. Why bother getting one if you can't use it? The
> concept is mind boggling.

That's what I thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Do you have one? Do you use it?
>> But I find this hard to believe that I can never use the disposal. I've
>> lived in plenty of places and most of them had disposals. I've never had
>> problems like this. Except for the time I tried to put the daisies down
>> the disposal. I figured they were kind of like salad. But I've also
>> been told salad should never go down the disposal either. In fact I
>> tried looking it up and found all sorts of conflicting advice on what I
>> should or should not put down it.
>>
>> Any thoughts?

> No longer have one, but always used it a lot before.
> That's nuts. Your plumber is nuts. The cheapest and most ordinary
> disposal I ever had in apartments would do anything you mentioned.

Hmmm... Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> When we bought this house about 3 years ago, the sink was clogged. I knew
> this. The plumber came out and snaked out the main line. Fine. Until I
> began canning all those apples and pears. I put tons of peels and cores
> down the sink. There is no doubt in my mind I overworked the poor
> disposal.
>
> Called the plumber again. Was told never to put peels of any kind down
> the sink. Or cores. Or seeds. Fine.
>
> Left the house one day while husband was steam cleaning the carpets. I
> begged him not to put the dirty water down the kitchen sink because I was
> tired of it clogging. Told him instead to put it down the sink in the
> garage. Why do we have a sink in there? I don't know, but we do. So
> what did he do? Put it down the kitchen sink.
>
> I came home to a clogged sink. Couldn't manage to unclog it myself which
> I sometimes could by bailing and plunging and running the disposal until
> it released whatever was the problem.
>
> Called the plumber again. He said this time the problem was paint chips.
> White paint chips. I finally determined that it wasn't paint chips but
> egg shells. Or egg peels. Yes, peels. What I was told before never to
> put down there. He also told me that all I needed to do in the case of a
> clog was remove some little piece underneath the sink and clean it out. I
> was kind of afraid to do this for fear of not getting it back on right.
>
> About two weeks went by and yes indeedy I had to call the plumber again!
> This time I have no clue what the cause was, but I was told I needed a new
> disposal. Fine. Also had him put in a new faucet because that was
> starting to leak. And he had to replace some pipes because he said those
> were leaking. Whatever.
>
> So he did all this work and then told me never to USE the disposal. I was
> like... Say what? Why do I have it then? He told me a disposal was only
> meant to handle the lone bite of meat, bit of gravy or couple of peas left
> on a plate. It could handle that just fine, but it could not handle large
> amounts of food and would get clogged if I put too much down it. Said my
> best bet was never to put food down it deliberately and to run plenty of
> hot water down it every day.
>
> Oddly, each time the plumbers came, they commented that there was no
> grease in the trap. They said most clogs were caused by grease but mine
> never were. My parents told me years ago never to put grease down the
> sink and I never did.
>
> But I find this hard to believe that I can never use the disposal. I've
> lived in plenty of places and most of them had disposals. I've never had
> problems like this. Except for the time I tried to put the daisies down
> the disposal. I figured they were kind of like salad. But I've also been
> told salad should never go down the disposal either. In fact I tried
> looking it up and found all sorts of conflicting advice on what I should

I have an In-Sink-Erator, the cheaper one. It doesn't work worth crap. It
cannot grind up the waste fine enough. The higher end models, that cost 7
times as much, do a pretty swell job, though.

To sum up everything, a compost pile is your best option. You just dump
anything organic, save for meat, into the pile and you are rewarded with a
mulch that is a gift from heaven. You can get these nifty compost bins at
any garden shop.

As for stuff like the carpets, that is what toilets are for. Never use a
drain for what a toilet can do when you are in doubt about clogging. I have
cleaned my carpets and the waste water is mostly solids like cat and human
hair. Quite disgusting. And easily clogs any drain save for a sewer pipe.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook said...

> [...]
>> advice on what I should or should not put down it.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I have an In-Sink-Erator, the cheaper one. It doesn't work worth crap.
> It cannot grind up the waste fine enough. The higher end models, that
> cost 7 times as much, do a pretty swell job, though.
>
> To sum up everything, a compost pile is your best option. You just dump
> anything organic, save for meat, into the pile and you are rewarded with
> a mulch that is a gift from heaven. You can get these nifty compost
> bins at any garden shop.
>
> As for stuff like the carpets, that is what toilets are for. Never use
> a drain for what a toilet can do when you are in doubt about clogging.
> I have cleaned my carpets and the waste water is mostly solids like cat
> and human hair. Quite disgusting. And easily clogs any drain save for

I have a septic system so a sink disposal is out of the question. All food
prep scraps and dinner plate scraps go in the garbage. Oils get funneled
from pans, etc., into used gallon water bottles. The rest is wiped up with
paper towels and tossed into the trash.

My tub has a screened cover over the drain to catch hair, rings, etc, but I
shampoo and shave in the shower. I'd finish my shower standing in 2 inches
of water and would wash my feet last standing on one foot, clean the other
foot stepping out of the tub and repeat with the remaining foot. It was
gross.

One day I finally took the screen cap (it unscrewed) off the drain and
filled the tub with water and then with a plunger opened the drain and
plunged the heck out of it for about 2 minutes and all of a sudden it
emptied in no time at all. Hasn't clogged again, since I've grown a beard
for winter.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote

> My tub always gets clogged when my daughter uses it. She must shed like
> crazy. She had super long hair and every time she washed her hair in the
> tub I would have to use a device to get the hair out of the drain. Never
> seems to happen when I bathe, but I have shorter hair.

I bought a plastic drain cover from Bed Bath & Beyond, it catches the
hair while allowing the water to go through. Not the most attractive thing
but it has saved on clogs.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3708878&RN=182

As far as the disposal goes, I don't use mine for much either. I certainly
don't dump food down there deliberately. I have that little wire mesh
thing over the hole to catch most stuff and the disposal is for the flotsam
and jetsam that winds up down there anyway. I've had disposals in the
past that weren't such a problem, but something about my setup doesn't
work as well as those did. I have wondered if it's because I had them
install it on the big bowl in the double sink rather than the small one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:25:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 08:04:13p, Kenneth meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:43:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We don't currently have a garbage disposal because we're on a septic
>>> system and having one is ill advised.

>> Hi Wayne,
>>
>> What is your understanding of why such a setup is not
>> appropriate?
>>
>> Thanks,

>We've been told by more than one source that constantly "feediing" a septic
>system with that much debris will lead to early system failure. We have a
>brand new 1800 gallon septic system. Septic systems are meant primarily
>for water soluble and human waste products, not garbage. I don't want to
>get off on the wrong foot with it. Repair is very costly.

Hi Wayne,

I don't believe that what you have been told is based on
fact.

We have used ours for years with no problems whatever (and
no suggestions from anyone that there might be problems.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 1:04 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:17:26 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >>Not when you have to use city-supplied cans. I use a heavy
> >>limestone rock, but they can still get in there sometimes.

> > Strange; the can supplied by Berkeley are raccoon-proof, or
> > at least the raccoons never get in ours.

> What makes them raccoon-proof?
>
> Raccoons are pretty smart rats. At least here in TX they are. I
> don't remember having that problem in Santa Cruz or Sunnyvale,
> though we did have a family in the back yards of both houses (and
> possums). I don't remember anything special about our cans.
>
> -sw

My garbage can lids fits so tightly that I can barely get it off and
on.
Raccoons just aren't strong enough to manage it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 19, 11:00 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:57:30 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

> >> Why would you *want* to put corn cobs and bones in the disposal though?

> > If the trash pickup just came for the week and there's no room
> > left in the freezer (to freeze the trash until next trash
> > pickup). Corncobs, maybe I can let those slide, but no meat
> > products will stay in my trash for more than a 36 hours.

> > And I don't generate enough trash to justify trowing out a 1/6th
> > full trash bag where the raccoons will get it.

> We have raccoons here. Which is one reason I'd rather put the food down the
> sink. They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. I don't need them
> getting in the trash as well!

You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I like
most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far worse.
The only good one is a dead one.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo(R)" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Dec 19, 11:00 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > If the trash pickup just came for the week and there's no room
>> > left in the freezer (to freeze the trash until next trash
>> > pickup). Corncobs, maybe I can let those slide, but no meat
>> > products will stay in my trash for more than a 36 hours.

>> > And I don't generate enough trash to justify trowing out a 1/6th
>> > full trash bag where the raccoons will get it.

>> We have raccoons here. Which is one reason I'd rather put the food down
>> the
>> sink. They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. I don't need them
>> getting in the trash as well!

> You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I like
> most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far worse.
> The only good one is a dead one.
>
> --Bryan

That's irresponsible. A neighbor did that, the raccoons dragged trash
around, my beloved cat ate it and died. Trap them in Haveaheart traps.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:31:40 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 06:57:30p, Goomba38 meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill
>>> advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses
>>> I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very little
>>> we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really
>>> tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house
>>> was older. However, I attribute it to the particular units we had. If
>>> the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's no really good
>>> reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot
>>> of build up in them and it makes passing anything but liquid difficult
>>> to get through.
>>>

>> Why would you *want* to put corn cobs and bones in the disposal though?
>> Tossing them into the garbage would be a lot easier and use less water
>> and energy (and save that noise) than using the disposal for them.
>> I have a heavy duty InSink-Erator and yet when it makes more sense to
>> just scrape things into the trash or composter, that is what I do. And I
>> do use my disposal often enough. I am just stunned by the things you and
>> Julie write about here...?

>Believe me, I wish I had a disposal now that I live in AZ. We don't/won't
>compost. We have no need of it. I have no intention of storing garbage in
>my freezer until collection day.

I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
<gasp>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:12:59 GMT, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
>> <gasp>
>>
>> Lou

> Yep us heathens do this. I save seafood stinky in the freezer for garbage
> day in the summer. We only get a pick up once a week and if it goes in
> the
> can outside you can smell it a block away in no time.

I think it's a great idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Bobo Bonobo(R)" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> We have raccoons here. Which is one reason I'd rather put the food down
>>> the
>>> sink. They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. I don't need them
>>> getting in the trash as well!

>> You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I like
>> most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far worse.
>> The only good one is a dead one.
>>
>> --Bryan

> That's irresponsible. A neighbor did that, the raccoons dragged trash
> around, my beloved cat ate it and died.

Oh, Giusi, I am so sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:12:59 GMT, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
>> <gasp>

> Yep us heathens do this. I save seafood stinky in the freezer for garbage
> day in the summer. We only get a pick up once a week and if it goes in
> the
> can outside you can smell it a block away in no time.

Chicken, too. I have, on occasion, frozen a chicken carcass when
it's too long till garbage day. In one of the aforementioned plastic
grocery bags, clearly labeled. If I'm going on vacation, I will freeze
garbage like that if I miss pickup day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote
>
>> My tub always gets clogged when my daughter uses it. She must shed like
>> crazy. She had super long hair and every time she washed her hair in the
>> tub I would have to use a device to get the hair out of the drain. Never
>> seems to happen when I bathe, but I have shorter hair.

> I bought a plastic drain cover from Bed Bath & Beyond, it catches the
> hair while allowing the water to go through. Not the most attractive
> thing
> but it has saved on clogs.
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...3708878&RN=182
>
> As far as the disposal goes, I don't use mine for much either. I
> certainly
> don't dump food down there deliberately. I have that little wire mesh
> thing over the hole to catch most stuff and the disposal is for the
> flotsam
> and jetsam that winds up down there anyway. I've had disposals in the
> past that weren't such a problem, but something about my setup doesn't
> work as well as those did. I have wondered if it's because I had them
> install it on the big bowl in the double sink rather than the small one.

This is how they are meant to be used, I think. Why put a whole bunch of
food and bones and crap in the sewerage system? I will admit, when I first
moved to this house from a 100+ year old house that did not have a garbage
disposal, I tried to feed the disposal everything. I was giddy over the idea
that the trash never had to get stinky! Reality check came with clogged
drains.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 15:01:04 +0100, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>> You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I like
>> most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far worse.
>> The only good one is a dead one.
>>
>> --Bryan

>That's irresponsible. A neighbor did that, the raccoons dragged trash
>around, my beloved cat ate it and died. Trap them in Haveaheart traps.

I can't stand cats, but that is a sad story. Sorry to hear about
that. The dog louise had when we got together got into some bones and
clogged himself up pretty bad. As much as I couldn't stand him, I was
the one who noticed he was sick and made the trips to the vet to get
him cleaned out. Some of us who don't like animals also don't like to
see them suffer.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Bobo Bonobo(R)" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>> We have raccoons here. Which is one reason I'd rather put the food
>>> down the
>>> sink. They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. I don't need
>>> them getting in the trash as well!

>> You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I
>> like most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far
>> worse. The only good one is a dead one.
>>
>> --Bryan

> That's irresponsible. A neighbor did that, the raccoons dragged trash
> around, my beloved cat ate it and died. Trap them in Haveaheart
> traps.

I remember( Horrible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
..

> I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
> <gasp>
>
> Lou

I'd rather put garbage under freezing conditions than put it in an open
container in cupboards.

I put everything in my cupboards in containers with secure lids. But I see
that garbage is not one of the food products that people care about securely
containing in their cupboards.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 08:04:13p, Kenneth meant to say...
>
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:43:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> We don't currently have a garbage disposal because we're on a septic
>>> system and having one is ill advised.

>> Hi Wayne,
>>
>> What is your understanding of why such a setup is not
>> appropriate?
>>
>> Thanks,

> We've been told by more than one source that constantly "feediing" a
> septic
> system with that much debris will lead to early system failure. We have a
> brand new 1800 gallon septic system. Septic systems are meant primarily
> for water soluble and human waste products, not garbage. I don't want to
> get off on the wrong foot with it. Repair is very costly.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Our same system has supported us for 14 years and the house was built in the
mid-70's. The family before us had 5 children. They had a swimming pool and
at times gave lessons and there were children in and out of the house eating
and .... all the time for years.

It is 1,000 gallons and still working.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:02:32 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>.
>>
>> I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
>> <gasp>
>>
>> Lou

>I'd rather put garbage under freezing conditions than put it in an open
>container in cupboards.

Looks like I'm in the minority here. Oh well. I'm still not going to
start doing it.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> This is how they are meant to be used, I think. Why put a whole bunch
> of food and bones and crap in the sewerage system? I will admit, when
> I first moved to this house from a 100+ year old house that did not
> have a garbage disposal, I tried to feed the disposal everything. I
> was giddy over the idea that the trash never had to get stinky!
> Reality check came with clogged drains.

I had mine taken out. I have more space under the sink now too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 09:58:51p, Julie Bove meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 3.184...
>>
>>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill
>>> advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses
>>> I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very little
>>> we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really
>>> tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house
>>> was older. However, I attribute it to the particular units we had. If
>>> the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's no really good
>>> reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot
>>> of build up in them and it makes passing anything but liquid difficult
>>> to get through.

>> I didn't know about the septic system. My parents have a septic system
>> and a garbage disposal. Hmmm... I would never have thought to put a
>> corn cob down. And I've read that a major source of clogs in the Fall
>> is from pumpkins and their guts.
>>

> Actually, In-Sink-Erator has a newer model specifically designed for use
> with septic systems. It has an additional component, a small reservoir,
> that pumps a special enzyme into the grinding chamber while the machine is
> running. It's supposed to aid in the "digestion" of whatever one might put
> down the disposal. We have been considering this, but haven't made a
> decision yet.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

When we bought a new garbage disposal for our new sink, In-Sink-Erator, it
was the model "Badger." I don't know much about it, except it is so much
more quiet and efficient than our other one.

Over the years, we have used an enzyme once, but it was flushed down a drain
(not the garbage drain).

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:58:27 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 02:30:22 GMT, jay > wrote:
>>
>>>Use it for minimal scraps that don't scrape to the trash bin. If you
>>>want
>>>to see your plumber.. grind away.

>> Good grief, why bother with a garbage disposal in that case? Just
>> get one of those mesh strainers that fit in drain openings.

> Plumbers love the things. They are pretty much installed in every sink in
> this part of the country if the construction is as recent as about 1975.
> also have a septic system that does not like sludge. The septic guy loves
> sludge. $$$
>
> jay

Obviously he loved sludge at our house. Our first removal when we moved
here, he drove up a slight hill with his truck and left us a sample dumped
some on our lawn beside the entrance -- "Come with a smaller load, you
jerk!" The present lasted for days.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
>> In article <4Djaj.5820$Xh1.2340@trndny03>,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have one? Do you use it?
>>>
>>> I ask because I have one that I very rarely use. My sink has a tendency
>>> clog and every time I use the disposal, I fear that it will clog again.

>> I have a dual sink and the disposal has to do a right angle turn to
>> connect to the straight down pipe to the sewer on the other side of the
>> sink. Then it does another right angle turn in half of the down pipe.
>> There's a baffle there so that the garbage disposal junk doesn't squirt
>> straight up into the second half of the sink during a major clog, I
>> think. It also cuts disposal volume in half there which ain't good. My
>> pipe connection is fairly recent (twenty year old state of the art
>> plastic), so I can clean out the crap when it happens without tools.
>> Lots of egg shells are sure fire plugs at the point where the baffle is.
>> Lots of potato skins are too. My problem is and always was that the
>> disposal was put in the wrong half of my sink. I don't think I would
>> have problems if it was put in the 'straight down to the sewer' part.
>> But I know how to deal with it on the occasional times when I have to
>> crawl under the sink. I also pour boiling water down into the sink
>> occasionally on the non disposal side if draining seems to be slowing. I
>> know the fix. I'm not clear on the problem.
>> Maybe I'll replace the baffled pipe with a straight pipe someday and
>> damn the consequences. I'll save the old pipe though, just in case.

> You are describing my sink! They said it had something to do with
> something in the way the pipes went but I had a hard time following it. I
> am not exactly sure how a sink's pipes should go. And perhaps my disposal
> is on the wrong side of the sink as well. I don't know. It's on the
> right side and I think all of the ones I've had have been on that side.
> There's a dishwasher to the left.

How I peel veggies, or prep other food without it falling into the garbage
disposal:

For peeling vegetables: i.e., carrots, potatoes, some broccoli stems, fish
prep, etc.

Pull off a bounty towel sheet, place it over the garbage disposal hole. Run
a little water on it. It now becomes wet and water will run right through
it without a hitch. You can run water if you wish while peeling into the
sink without the garbage going down the hole. When you are thru, grab up
the corners of the paper towel, give it a squeeze, and dump it in your
container.

HTH,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:02:32 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
. ..
>>.
>>>
>>> I've never heard of anyone storing garbage in the freezer until now.
>>> <gasp>
>>>
>>> Lou

>>I'd rather put garbage under freezing conditions than put it in an open
>>container in cupboards.

> Looks like I'm in the minority here. Oh well. I'm still not going to
> start doing it.
>
> Lou

Doing what, Lou -- putting it in the freezer or in your cupboard.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:26:33 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Doing what, Lou -- putting it in the freezer or in your cupboard.
>Dee Dee

Neither one. Sorry I wasn't clear. <g>

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 12:00�am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> If the trash pickup just came for the week and there's no room
> >> left in the freezer (to freeze the trash until next trash
> >> pickup). �Corncobs, maybe I can let those slide, but no meat
> >> products will stay in my trash for more than a 36 hours.

> > If it were not very much, you can cut it into
> > little pieces and flush it down the toilet.
> > I'm so clever! �:-)

> In the old days we used to put the food down the toilet. �Unfortunately, my
> toilet clogs more frequently than the sink.

Typical renters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy " wrote:

> >> But I find this hard to believe that I can never use the disposal.
> >> I've lived in plenty of places and most of them had disposals. I've
> >> never had problems like this. Except for the time I tried to put the
> >> daisies down the disposal. I figured they were kind of like salad.
> >> But I've also been told salad should never go down the disposal either.
> >> In fact I tried looking it up and found all sorts of conflicting
> >> advice on what I should or should not put down it.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts?
> >>

> > I have an In-Sink-Erator, the cheaper one. It doesn't work worth crap.
> > It cannot grind up the waste fine enough. The higher end models, that
> > cost 7 times as much, do a pretty swell job, though.
> >
> > To sum up everything, a compost pile is your best option. You just dump
> > anything organic, save for meat, into the pile and you are rewarded with
> > a mulch that is a gift from heaven. You can get these nifty compost
> > bins at any garden shop.

Same here. I have done my share of snaking and plunging drains. I make
sure that the strainer plug is in place in the sink to catch little bits
that should not be going into the drain. We have to separate our trash and
recycle. We keep two stainless containers on our counter, one for meat and
grease which then goes into the green garbage pin (with animal proof <?>)
locking top) and put vegetable matter in the other and that stuff goes out
to our back yard compost bin.

> My tub has a screened cover over the drain to catch hair, rings, etc, but I
> shampoo and shave in the shower. I'd finish my shower standing in 2 inches
> of water and would wash my feet last standing on one foot, clean the other
> foot stepping out of the tub and repeat with the remaining foot. It was
> gross.

Our bathtub/shower drain used to get clogged regularly. Then I inserted a
screen in it. The screen gets clogged with every shower. Just pop it out
and scoop out the hair and lint and toss that in the waste basket and stick
the unclogged screen back in and the water runs out with no problem. It is
much easier to clean out that screen with each use than to have to unclog
the drain pipes.

> One day I finally took the screen cap (it unscrewed) off the drain and
> filled the tub with water and then with a plunger opened the drain and
> plunged the heck out of it for about 2 minutes and all of a sudden it
> emptied in no time at all. Hasn't clogged again, since I've grown a beard
> for winter.

Plunging usually works well enough. It helps to have someone helping by
holding a rag or a sponge over the overflow to make sure the pressure and
suction of the plunger. Otherwise, most of the effort is wasted on pushing
air back and forth through those openings, not to mention preventing that
goop that is clogging your lines from spraying out through the openings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 20, 12:02�am, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> >We have raccoons here. �Which is one reason I'd rather put the food down the
> >sink. �They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. �I don't need them
> >getting in the trash as well!

> Raccoon-proof garbage cans are readily available.

Even plastic, RubberMaid makes them.

Happened to have a picture of the RubberMaid trash cans sitting in
their cart, kind of obscured behind the new garden cart I had just
finished putting together. So far no critters have gotten into those
RubberMaid trash cans in the five years I've used them.

http://i10.tinypic.com/869a4pc.jpg

SHELDON

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote in message
> On Dec 19, 11:00 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > If the trash pickup just came for the week and there's no room
>> > left in the freezer (to freeze the trash until next trash
>> > pickup). Corncobs, maybe I can let those slide, but no meat
>> > products will stay in my trash for more than a 36 hours.

>> > And I don't generate enough trash to justify trowing out a 1/6th
>> > full trash bag where the raccoons will get it.

>> We have raccoons here. Which is one reason I'd rather put the food down
>> the
>> sink. They eat enough of my fresh garden produce. I don't need them
>> getting in the trash as well!

> You have a good opportunity to poison them. Raccoon genocide. I like
> most wildlife, but I dislike squirrels, and raccoons are far worse.
> The only good one is a dead one.
>
> --Bryan

Around here it is against the law to poison any animal. State Fish and
Game, the local police and the Humane Society will combine efforts to get
you and prosecute you. We had a very sick dog in our neighborhood last
winter with symptoms of poisoning and a dead raccoon showed up on our
property shortly after. State Fish and Game spent a lot of money and time
doing extensive autopsy and tests to prove poisoning and then followed up
with questioning in the surrounding area. The jerk got 6 months and a
$1,000 fine. It's a bad way to die. Use a humane trap.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> This is how they are meant to be used, I think. Why put a whole bunch
>> of food and bones and crap in the sewerage system? I will admit, when
>> I first moved to this house from a 100+ year old house that did not
>> have a garbage disposal, I tried to feed the disposal everything. I
>> was giddy over the idea that the trash never had to get stinky!
>> Reality check came with clogged drains.

> I had mine taken out. I have more space under the sink now too.

We have limited space because we have a reverse osmosis system (3 tanks),
plus the disposal. But I still have room for barkeep, and a scrubber.
This is all I need the space for.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Dec 2007 08:14:53a, Dee.Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 09:58:51p, Julie Bove meant to say...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> 3.184...

>>> I didn't know about the septic system. My parents have a septic
>>> system and a garbage disposal. Hmmm... I would never have thought to
>>> put a corn cob down. And I've read that a major source of clogs in
>>> the Fall is from pumpkins and their guts.
>>>

>> Actually, In-Sink-Erator has a newer model specifically designed for
>> use with septic systems. It has an additional component, a small
>> reservoir, that pumps a special enzyme into the grinding chamber while
>> the machine is running. It's supposed to aid in the "digestion" of
>> whatever one might put down the disposal. We have been considering
>> this, but haven't made a decision yet.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> When we bought a new garbage disposal for our new sink, In-Sink-Erator,
> it was the model "Badger." I don't know much about it, except it is so
> much more quiet and efficient than our other one.
>
> Over the years, we have used an enzyme once, but it was flushed down a
> drain (not the garbage drain).
>
> Dee Dee

Yes, there are powdered enqyme products meant for flushing down the toilet.
They are supposed to aid in the processing of waste in the septic tank. I
have heard both pros and cons about using this over in the alt.home.repair
group.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2dys 15hrs 9mins 54secs
Graduate of the Uncle Fester School of
Party Etiquette.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 20 Dec 2007 05:55:15a, Kenneth meant to say...

> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 05:25:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 08:04:13p, Kenneth meant to say...
>>
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 01:43:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Hi Wayne,
>>>
>>> What is your understanding of why such a setup is not appropriate?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

>>We've been told by more than one source that constantly "feediing" a
>>septic system with that much debris will lead to early system failure.
>>We have a brand new 1800 gallon septic system. Septic systems are meant
>>primarily for water soluble and human waste products, not garbage. I
>>don't want to get off on the wrong foot with it. Repair is very costly.

> Hi Wayne,
>
> I don't believe that what you have been told is based on
> fact.
>
> We have used ours for years with no problems whatever (and
> no suggestions from anyone that there might be problems.)
>
> All the best,

Then maybe it's time I re-think the situation.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007

Countdown 'til Christmas
2dys 15hrs 9mins 54secs
Graduate of the Uncle Fester School of
Party Etiquette.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 19 Dec 2007 09:58:51p, Julie Bove meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>
>> Poor Julie! What a mess to deal with. We don't currently have a
>> garbage disposal because we're on a septic system and having one is ill
>> advised. However, I have had In-Sink-Erator units in the last 4 houses
>> I've lived in and never had a clogging problem. There was very little
>> we didn't grind up in it, including small bones, corn cobs...really
>> tough stuff. In 3 of those houses the plumbing was new, the 4th house
>> was older. However, I attribute it to the particular units we had. If
>> the grinding mechanism is doing a good job, there's no really good
>> reason for the drain to clog. Unless, of couse, the drains have a lot
>> of build up in them and it makes passing anything but liquid difficult
>> to get through.

> I didn't know about the septic system. My parents have a septic system
> and a garbage disposal. Hmmm... I would never have thought to put a
> corn cob down. And I've read that a major source of clogs in the Fall
> is from pumpkins and their guts.

The moe fibrous the material you put down the disposal, the more likely
you'll have problems. Pumpkin guts are extreme fibrous. This is
especially true if your plumbing itself is suspect.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, December 20th,2007