Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Note to Self

I sometimes think that I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.
My Note to Self: when shredding/crumbling 1/4 cup of a very soft
cheese such as gorgonzola, do try to remember that if you pile 1/2 cup
of Fontina and 3/4 cup of parmigiano Reggiano, set the cheese aside to
attend to the rest of the dish, chances are that you're going to
return to the cheese and find the gorgonzola nearly squashed back into
its original form and have to re-shred/crumble it.

The recipe that inspired the post (and is soooo good - I also had some
extra shredded sharp cheddar that I threw on top):

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Three-Cheese Potato Gratin

vegetables

1 tablespoon Butter
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese; crumbled
1/2 cup fontina cheese; grated
3/4 cup parmigiano Reggiano; grated
2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream

Heat the oven to 325°F. Butter an 8 x 12" square or oval gratin pan.
Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut side all over the interior of
the pan. Set aside.

Using only 1/4 C. plus 2 T. parmigiano Reggiano, combine the cheeses.
Set aside.

Peel the potatoes and place them in cold water. Remove 2 potatoes and
pat dry. Thinly slice them and overlap the slices in the gratin dish.
Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Distribute the combined
cheeses evenly over the potatoes. Thinly slice the remaining potatoes
and layer them over the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Pour the cream evenly over the potatoes. Distribute remaining
parmigiano Reggiano evenly over the cream.

Bake 1 hour, 15 mins. until the cream is bubbly, the top well browned
and the potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 mins. before serving.

Contributor: LA Times Food Section

Yield: 6 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 12 Dec 2007 08:51:10p, Terry Pulliam Burd meant to say...

> I sometimes think that I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.

Well, you're doing better than I am, Terry. I usually say I have the
attention span of a flea.

> My Note to Self: when shredding/crumbling 1/4 cup of a very soft
> cheese such as gorgonzola, do try to remember that if you pile 1/2 cup
> of Fontina and 3/4 cup of parmigiano Reggiano, set the cheese aside to
> attend to the rest of the dish, chances are that you're going to
> return to the cheese and find the gorgonzola nearly squashed back into
> its original form and have to re-shred/crumble it.

Good advice!

> The recipe that inspired the post (and is soooo good - I also had some
> extra shredded sharp cheddar that I threw on top):

The recipe sounds delicions! Saved and filed.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

> Three-Cheese Potato Gratin
>
> vegetables
>
> 1 tablespoon Butter
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese; crumbled
> 1/2 cup fontina cheese; grated
> 3/4 cup parmigiano Reggiano; grated
> 2 pounds Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
> 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
> 1 cup heavy cream
>
> Heat the oven to 325°F. Butter an 8 x 12" square or oval gratin pan.
> Cut the garlic in half and rub the cut side all over the interior of
> the pan. Set aside.
>
> Using only 1/4 C. plus 2 T. parmigiano Reggiano, combine the cheeses.
> Set aside.
>
> Peel the potatoes and place them in cold water. Remove 2 potatoes and
> pat dry. Thinly slice them and overlap the slices in the gratin dish.
> Season well with salt and pepper to taste. Distribute the combined
> cheeses evenly over the potatoes. Thinly slice the remaining potatoes
> and layer them over the cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
>
> Pour the cream evenly over the potatoes. Distribute remaining
> parmigiano Reggiano evenly over the cream.
>
> Bake 1 hour, 15 mins. until the cream is bubbly, the top well browned
> and the potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 mins. before serving.
>
> Contributor: LA Times Food Section
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>

> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: December(XII) 12th(XII),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 3dys 18hrs 40mins 22secs
Research causes cancer in rats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:15:29 -0600, Sqwertz >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:51:10 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> I sometimes think that I have the attention span of a cocker spaniel.
>> My Note to Self: when shredding/crumbling 1/4 cup of a very soft
>> cheese such as gorgonzola, do try to remember that if you pile 1/2 cup
>> of Fontina and 3/4 cup of parmigiano Reggiano, set the cheese aside to
>> attend to the rest of the dish, chances are that you're going to
>> return to the cheese and find the gorgonzola nearly squashed back into
>> its original form and have to re-shred/crumble it.

>Real gorgonzola doesn't shred or crumble (unless it's frozen).

It does if it's Gorgonzola piccante. Your "real" gorgonzola is likely
Gorgonzola Dolce, a younger cheese. I didn't specify, as most people
don't know the difference. Obviously.

TV Note Nancy2[_2_] General Cooking 11 25-03-2016 03:53 PM
Please note Corey Richardson[_2_] General Cooking 14 25-08-2008 02:05 PM
Note to Self Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] General Cooking 19 14-04-2007 01:36 PM
Note to self: zxcvbob General Cooking 6 23-11-2005 10:48 PM
on a better note Mary Beth Goodman Sourdough 1 26-04-2005 06:02 PM