Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Q: Coconut Macaroons

I need to make a bunch of cookies to take to a church thing tonight.
I'm gonna make a big pan of brownies, some pecan bars, and cranberry
cookies. I thought I'd also make some macaroons, just to have something
totally different. (I'd make biscotti for the "something different"
but they are too much trouble)

I have 2 macaroon recipes, and I've never used either of them. They are
both from reasonable sources, but they are totally different.

One (from BH&G Cookbook) is basically coconut folded into meringue and
dropped by teaspoons and baked. The other (from a Bakers coconut bag)
has coconut, flour, and sugar mixed together, add egg whites, and drop
by tablespoons and bake.

Since I've never made them before, and haven't eaten them in a while, I
can't tell which is the right recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:40:52 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I need to make a bunch of cookies to take to a church thing tonight.
>I'm gonna make a big pan of brownies, some pecan bars, and cranberry
>cookies. I thought I'd also make some macaroons, just to have something
> totally different. (I'd make biscotti for the "something different"
>but they are too much trouble)
>
>I have 2 macaroon recipes, and I've never used either of them. They are
>both from reasonable sources, but they are totally different.
>
>One (from BH&G Cookbook) is basically coconut folded into meringue and
>dropped by teaspoons and baked. The other (from a Bakers coconut bag)
>has coconut, flour, and sugar mixed together, add egg whites, and drop
>by tablespoons and bake.
>
>Since I've never made them before, and haven't eaten them in a while, I
>can't tell which is the right recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I use a third recipe that is sweetened condensed milk and coconut.
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=10174
It's *very* easy and tasty.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:40:52 -0600, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I need to make a bunch of cookies to take to a church thing tonight.
>> I'm gonna make a big pan of brownies, some pecan bars, and cranberry
>> cookies. I thought I'd also make some macaroons, just to have something
>> totally different. (I'd make biscotti for the "something different"
>> but they are too much trouble)
>>
>> I have 2 macaroon recipes, and I've never used either of them. They are
>> both from reasonable sources, but they are totally different.
>>
>> One (from BH&G Cookbook) is basically coconut folded into meringue and
>> dropped by teaspoons and baked. The other (from a Bakers coconut bag)
>> has coconut, flour, and sugar mixed together, add egg whites, and drop
>> by tablespoons and bake.
>>
>> Since I've never made them before, and haven't eaten them in a while, I
>> can't tell which is the right recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>

> I use a third recipe that is sweetened condensed milk and coconut.
> http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=10174
> It's *very* easy and tasty.

I used the following recipe because I have a can of dehydrated egg
whites and I wanted to use up some of it. They turned out perfect.
I will make these again:

Coconut Macaroons
(from Baker's Angel Flake coconut bag)

1 (14 oz) package flaked coconut [I used a 12oz bag from Fleet Farm]
2/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 tsp almond extract [I used vanilla instead of almond]

Mix coconut, sugar, flour, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in egg whites
and almond extract until well blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto
greased and floured cookie sheets. [I baked them on ungreased
parchment] Bake at 325° for 20 minutes or until edges of cookies are
golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire racks.
Cool completely. Makes about 3 dozen.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 10:40 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I need to make a bunch of cookies to take to a church thing tonight.
> I'm gonna make a big pan of brownies, some pecan bars, and cranberry
> cookies. I thought I'd also make some macaroons, just to have something
> totally different. (I'd make biscotti for the "something different"
> but they are too much trouble)
>
> I have 2 macaroon recipes, and I've never used either of them. They are
> both from reasonable sources, but they are totally different.
>
> One (from BH&G Cookbook) is basically coconut folded into meringue and
> dropped by teaspoons and baked. The other (from a Bakers coconut bag)
> has coconut, flour, and sugar mixed together, add egg whites, and drop
> by tablespoons and bake.
>
> Since I've never made them before, and haven't eaten them in a while, I
> can't tell which is the right recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>
> Bob

In the better-late-than-never department, my grandmother's recipe is
similar to the former.

8 egg whites
1 lb coconut, toasted
1 cup sugar (I use 1/3)
juice and zest of one lemon
5 tablespoons flour or corn starch

Toast coconut in 350 oven for about 10 minutes.

Beat egg whites, add sugar when they form stiff peaks.
Add lemon juice and zest, and flour or corn starch 1 tablespoon at a
time.

Drop by teaspoons on greased baking sheet and bake for 13-17 minutes
at 375.

makes about 5 dozen.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I need to make a bunch of cookies to take to a church thing tonight.
> I'm gonna make a big pan of brownies, some pecan bars, and cranberry
> cookies. I thought I'd also make some macaroons, just to have something
> totally different. (I'd make biscotti for the "something different"
> but they are too much trouble)
>
> I have 2 macaroon recipes, and I've never used either of them. They are
> both from reasonable sources, but they are totally different.
>
> One (from BH&G Cookbook) is basically coconut folded into meringue and
> dropped by teaspoons and baked. The other (from a Bakers coconut bag)
> has coconut, flour, and sugar mixed together, add egg whites, and drop
> by tablespoons and bake.
>
> Since I've never made them before, and haven't eaten them in a while, I
> can't tell which is the right recipe. Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://tinyurl.com/3a77d5

http://www.jewish-food.org/cgi-bin/w...xchars=10 000

SHELDON

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I use a third recipe that is sweetened condensed milk and coconut.
> http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=10174
> It's *very* easy and tasty.

I have been using a similar recipe for about 30 years. I don't use
almond extract and I put half a candied cherry on the top of each
macaroon. They are very impressive and super easy.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 11 Dec 2007 11:49:21a, Janet Wilder meant to say...

> sf wrote:
>

>> I use a third recipe that is sweetened condensed milk and coconut.
>> http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=10174
>> It's *very* easy and tasty.

> I have been using a similar recipe for about 30 years. I don't use
> almond extract and I put half a candied cherry on the top of each
> macaroon. They are very impressive and super easy.

That's the same recipe my mom always made. I always liked their chewiness.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, December(XII) 11th(XI),2007(MMVII)

Countdown 'til Christmas
1wks 4dys 13hrs 20mins 56secs
If you don't get everything you want,
think of the things you *don't* get
that you don't want.

The coconut macaroons. Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 0 01-04-2007 04:55 AM
Coconut Macaroons 7Hawks Recipes 0 21-11-2004 03:36 PM
COCONUT MACAROONS sf General Cooking 11 13-08-2004 05:54 AM
Austrian Coconut Macaroons hahabogus Recipes 1 04-12-2003 07:05 AM