Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Keeping It Simple

Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.

Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg

Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
begin the creamed pees:
http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg

Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.
>
> Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
> http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg
>
> Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg
>
> In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
> typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
> temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
> begin the creamed pees:
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg
>

> Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!
>
> Sheldon

Everything looks great, Sheldon! That is one plump bird ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.
>
> Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
> http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg
>
> Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg
>
> In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
> typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
> temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
> begin the creamed pees:
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg
>

> Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

Nice pix....and I trust the kitties had a good day, too.

^..^

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote"
>
> > Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.

> > Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
> >http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg

> > Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> >http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

> > In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
> > typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
> > temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
> > begin the creamed pees:
> >http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg

> > Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

> > Sheldon

> Everything looks great, Sheldon! That is one plump bird ;-)
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Thank you. It was delicious, everything was wonderful.

I am so stuffed... my little guys are cuddled up sleeping it off.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Yesterday while I was preparing the kasha I looked out and noticed
some birds that looked very odd for these parts, so I quick grabbed my
camera and got some shots while I could, they hung around for about an
hour but kept their distance, never coming closer than about 700 feet
from my back door... then a murder of crows swooped in and shooed them
away. I looked them up in my Sibley bird guide, they're Glaucous
Gulls, extremely rare for the Catskill area, they're rarely seen south
of Lake Erie. A most gorgeous bird, especially in flight, and they
are super fast, reminds me of the Concorde.

http://i7.tinypic.com/6z5zxn9.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/6jchdi1.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/6y5pik3.jpg

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.

> > Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
> >http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg

> > Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> >http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

> > In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
> > typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
> > temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
> > begin the creamed pees:
> >http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg

> > Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

> Nice pix....and I trust the kitties had a good day, too.

Thanks. The kittie's bellies are so full they may not eat for a week.

I'm stuffed myself, the kasha drenched in pan drippings and creamed
pees is my favorite part, I had a drumstick too, and of course some
breast, and a sweet potato. Forget the pie and ice cream, tomorrow.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:50:23 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> > http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

> <laugh> A turkey with a pop-up button it. Did Gregory insist on
> that?

cyberPUSSY told us you have a pop - up peenie but that most of the time it
doesn't work...

--
Best
Greg

"I am smarter than you think I am."
- Maryanne "Loafhead" Kehoe to me
in alt.gossip.celebrities

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 12:50 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.
>
> Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg

Oh, Sheldon, how good everything looks! I had no ideda what kasha
was, so Google informed me that I'd probably like that
grain..."history tells...second only to bread" For your 'morrow I
wish you pumpkin pie as good as my daughter makes, and that your apple
pie is as good as the sour cream apple pie I make from greatgran's
teaching some 50 years ago.

....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Nexis" wrote:
>> "Sheldon" wrote"
>>
>> > Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.

>> > Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
>> >http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg

>> > Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
>> >http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

>> > In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
>> > typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
>> > temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
>> > begin the creamed pees:
>> >http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg

>> > Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

>> > Sheldon

>> Everything looks great, Sheldon! That is one plump bird ;-)
>>
>> Happy Thanksgiving to you.

> Thank you. It was delicious, everything was wonderful.
>
> I am so stuffed... my little guys are cuddled up sleeping it off.
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
>
> Yesterday while I was preparing the kasha I looked out and noticed
> some birds that looked very odd for these parts, so I quick grabbed my
> camera and got some shots while I could, they hung around for about an
> hour but kept their distance, never coming closer than about 700 feet
> from my back door... then a murder of crows swooped in and shooed them
> away. I looked them up in my Sibley bird guide, they're Glaucous
> Gulls, extremely rare for the Catskill area, they're rarely seen south
> of Lake Erie. A most gorgeous bird, especially in flight, and they
> are super fast, reminds me of the Concorde.
>

> http://i7.tinypic.com/6z5zxn9.jpg
>
> http://i19.tinypic.com/6jchdi1.jpg
>
> http://i15.tinypic.com/6y5pik3.jpg
>
> Sheldon

Wow, they are beautiful, especially against that rich green background :-)

Have you noticed more crows recently in your area? I swear I have never seen as many
in my life as I have this year. In fact, the other day when my daughter and I were
leaving the house, we got about 1/2 a block from our house and in the street ahead we
saw probably 20 or so, just hanging out. Looked over, there were some more on the
sidewalk, the power lines, and the roof of one of the houses. Reminded me of that old
movie when all the animals were going crazy because of something with the ozone
layer! lol

Thanksgiving was wonderful here, without too many glitches. Thank you.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.
>
> Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:
> http://i13.tinypic.com/73b71ck.jpg
>
> Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
> http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg
>
> In the oven, just slipped the taters in at mid point, 2 hrs to go... I
> typically bake spuds on top rack with meat without raising the oven
> temp, hotter up there... kasha will go in while boid rests, and will
> begin the creamed pees:
> http://i18.tinypic.com/6jxoymd.jpg
>

> Except for ice cream and drinks that it, *simple*!

That pretty much describes the Thanksgiving dinner my parents made last
night. Dinner was scheduled for four, but our one guest was an hour
late. Sigh! I got to my parents' house around 10:00am and proceeded to
walk a mile to the high school I attended to see the oldest high school
football rivalry in the United States: Northeast vs. Central. Before I
left, I asked my dad not to carve the turkey (because he has no clue
how). I told him I would do the carving when I got home from the game.

Dinner was simple. The bird was a tad overdone due to our tardy guest,
my mom's sister. But the bird was still delicious. It had a slight
citrus flavor from OJ, but was otherwise, just a simple "put the stuffed
turkey in the oven" and wait process.

The other dishes included some sort of apple walnut stuffing that my
parents made. It was good, but a bit too moist. They also had baked
sweet and regular potatoes, some mixed vegetables, and my aunt made that
green bean casserole, which is a staple for the TG feast in my family.
We also had dinner rolls, which my aunt bought. My dad had a sugar free
blueberry pie for dessert and I bought some pumpkin muffins. I was
stuffed, so I didn't touch any dessert.

Since the football game was over about three hours before dinner was
served, I decided to walk over to the Roosevelt Mall from Northeast High
School where the game was played. Oh, the final score was 40-28.

On my way to the mall, I stopped at a large supermarket and I picked up
some barrel pickles for my mom and some tomato juice for me. The lines
at the store were all very short, which was a surprise considering it
was 1:00pm on Thanksgiving day. I paid and continued my walk to the
mall. I went in a drug store to pick up a few items, then I walked over
to a Toyota dealership about a mile away. I am thinking of buying a new
car, so I went to look at the cars on the lot. I ended up getting back
to my parents' house around 3:00. I carved the turkey at 3:30 after it
had sat for half an hour.

My aunt was nursing her sick 36 year old son who had a bad cold, which
is why she was late. My dad warmed up te food and we nuked her green
bean casserole, and dinner was served. I ate a lot of turkey. Both the
white meat and dark, and some skin. The white was a bit dry, but not
terribly so and the dark just fell off the bone when I carved it.
Delicious! I figured that since I was out walking for two hours, I
deserved a good hearty meal.

We sat in my parents living room after dinner and then I left and I went
to a friend's house to watch a movie before I went home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> Apple n' punkin pies are store bought.
>
> > Fresh sweet potatoes, Kasha (no varniskes), 15lb boid:http://i13.tinypic..com/73b71ck.jpg

> Oh, Sheldon, how good everything looks! �I had no ideda what kasha
> was, so Google informed me that I'd probably like that
> grain..."history tells...second only to bread" �
> For your 'morrow I
> wish you pumpkin pie as good as my daughter makes, and that your apple
> pie is as good as the sour cream apple pie I make from greatgran's
> teaching some 50 years ago.

I'm sure your pies are much better than my store bought pies. I have
the pies more for tradition but I'd much rather pig out on turkey and
kasha. I make kasha often all through the year but usually fairly
plain. But for Thanksgiving I make a much richer version with lots of
butter and then I pour a good portion of the turkey pan drippings
over. I think it's a far superior dish to the traditional bread
stuffing/dressings that most people prepare. Kasha is buckwheat
groats, it's a fruit, not a grain... it's the most protein rich
vegetable on the planet.

http://www.thebirkettmills.com/nutrition_2005.htm

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:43:10 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:50:23 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
>> http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

><laugh> A turkey with a pop-up button it. Did Gregory insist on
>that?

pop button? I thought it was a nipple.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 23, 6:38 am, Sheldon > wrote:
> I'm sure your pies are much better than my store bought pies. I have
> the pies more for tradition but I'd much rather pig out on turkey and
> kasha. I make kasha often all through the year but usually fairly
> plain.
> http://www.thebirkettmills.com/nutrition_2005.htm

Sheldon, please recommend which (small amount) of kasha I could buy
from the resource you gave. I do want to try this dish, along with
whatever special cooking instruction may be needed if not already on
the https://tbmpy.com/product_kasha.htm website.

Thank you so, Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:40:59 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:43:10 GMT, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:50:23 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> Well seasoned beauty... I like the neck:
>>> http://i4.tinypic.com/6yojsed.jpg

>><laugh> A turkey with a pop-up button it. Did Gregory insist on
>>that?
>>

>pop button? I thought it was a nipple.

whoever heard of a beast with two breasts and one nipple?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:48:17 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:40:59 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 00:43:10 GMT, Sqwertz >
>>wrote:

>>><laugh> A turkey with a pop-up button it. Did Gregory insist on
>>>that?
>>>

>>pop button? I thought it was a nipple.

>whoever heard of a beast with two breasts and one nipple?

I don't know about yours, Blake, but my photo didn't show the other
side of that turkey.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:53:05 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:48:17 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 09:40:59 -0800, sf wrote:

>>>pop button? I thought it was a nipple.

>>whoever heard of a beast with two breasts and one nipple?
>>

>I don't know about yours, Blake, but my photo didn't show the other
>side of that turkey.

there is that.

your pal,
blake

Keeping it hot Kevin B Barbecue 4 23-06-2005 10:41 PM
Keeping tea (not too) hot Top Spin Tea 25 09-11-2004 12:05 AM
Keeping simple syrups Nexis General Cooking 4 03-07-2004 08:47 AM