Top Spin

Default Keeping tea (not too) hot

I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
beveridge while working at my computer.

In the summer, I usually make iced tea where temperature is not much
of a problem. I make a pot (3-4 cups), pour some over ice, put the
rest in the fridge.

In the winter, I prefer hot tea. I would like to be able to make a pot
and be able to sip at it over the course of the day. The problem is
that I have a fairly narrow temperature tolerance. Maybe I am a wimp,
but I cannot drink it right from the pot as some can. But I also do
not like it too cool.

So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
most of a day?

I am thinking of a large thermos plus one of those hot plates they use
for coffee. I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would
then pour a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate.

Is there a hot plate that has a temperature control so it doesn't keep
the tea too hot?

Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?

Am I heading in a wrong direction? Is there a better approach?

I did find the following devicve through Google. Does anyone have any
experience with it?

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm

Thanks

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
Space Cowboy

I'd recommend a good all stainless steel thermos from an outdoor
store. Stay away from any plastic parts such as cap and cup. However
if it goes in hot it'll come out hot. I'd brew the night before and
let cool to room temperature. Then heat up in a microwave. Another
option is an immersible heating coil. Beware they will blow breakers
but it can warmup a cup in seconds. You can get the pot/cup warmer
which works if desired less than hot. Nothing wrong with a tea bag
and hot water brewed in the pot and poured in a cup. Tea in the
office is a compromise. I nuked the same chinese teapot with bamboo
handle for decades.

Jim

Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
> I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
> beveridge while working at my computer.
>
> In the summer, I usually make iced tea where temperature is not much
> of a problem. I make a pot (3-4 cups), pour some over ice, put the
> rest in the fridge.
>
> In the winter, I prefer hot tea. I would like to be able to make a pot
> and be able to sip at it over the course of the day. The problem is
> that I have a fairly narrow temperature tolerance. Maybe I am a wimp,
> but I cannot drink it right from the pot as some can. But I also do
> not like it too cool.
>
> So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
> pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
> most of a day?
>
> I am thinking of a large thermos plus one of those hot plates they use
> for coffee. I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would
> then pour a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate.
>
> Is there a hot plate that has a temperature control so it doesn't keep
> the tea too hot?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?
>
> Am I heading in a wrong direction? Is there a better approach?
>
> I did find the following devicve through Google. Does anyone have any
> experience with it?
>
> http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm
>

> Thanks

Space Cowboy

Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
> I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
> beveridge while working at my computer.
>
> In the summer, I usually make iced tea where temperature is not much
> of a problem. I make a pot (3-4 cups), pour some over ice, put the
> rest in the fridge.
>
> In the winter, I prefer hot tea. I would like to be able to make a pot
> and be able to sip at it over the course of the day. The problem is
> that I have a fairly narrow temperature tolerance. Maybe I am a wimp,
> but I cannot drink it right from the pot as some can. But I also do
> not like it too cool.
>
> So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
> pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
> most of a day?
>
> I am thinking of a large thermos plus one of those hot plates they use
> for coffee. I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would
> then pour a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate.
>
> Is there a hot plate that has a temperature control so it doesn't keep
> the tea too hot?
>
> Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?
>
> Am I heading in a wrong direction? Is there a better approach?
>
> I did find the following devicve through Google. Does anyone have any
> experience with it?
>
> http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm
>

> Thanks

magnulus

You can slightly microwave tea without much harm. About 45 seconds to a
minute should be enough.

Also, a thermal carafe or thermos works fine.

magnulus

You can slightly microwave tea without much harm. About 45 seconds to a
minute should be enough.

Also, a thermal carafe or thermos works fine.

Bee

Top Spin wrote:
> ...I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would then pour
> a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate....
> I did find the following devicve through Google....
> http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm

Every now and again, we read people died suddenly from pulmonary embolism.
Sitting for hours on end without breaks to *exercise one's legs* is courting
for trouble.

"Point 2. Make sure you stand up and walk away from your computer on a
regular basis. Just walk around for a few minutes, stretch, and relax. This
should be done at least every hour. For my patients I recommend that they
use a timer and get away from their computer every 20 to 30 minutes."
http://www.me.berkeley.edu/ergo/services/tips.html

If you are contemplating importing these gadgets as a commercial
undertaking, it is advisable to append a warning label.

Looking at the price, I won't blame you: it is less than a (McDonald's) Big
Mac's!

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Bee

Top Spin wrote:
> ...I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would then pour
> a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate....
> I did find the following devicve through Google....
> http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm

Every now and again, we read people died suddenly from pulmonary embolism.
Sitting for hours on end without breaks to *exercise one's legs* is courting
for trouble.

"Point 2. Make sure you stand up and walk away from your computer on a
regular basis. Just walk around for a few minutes, stretch, and relax. This
should be done at least every hour. For my patients I recommend that they
use a timer and get away from their computer every 20 to 30 minutes."
http://www.me.berkeley.edu/ergo/services/tips.html

If you are contemplating importing these gadgets as a commercial
undertaking, it is advisable to append a warning label.

Looking at the price, I won't blame you: it is less than a (McDonald's) Big
Mac's!

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Bee

Top Spin wrote:
> ...I would make the pot and put it in the thermos. I would then pour
> a cup at a time into my cup on the hot plate....
> I did find the following devicve through Google....
> http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/...0000056406.htm

Every now and again, we read people died suddenly from pulmonary embolism.
Sitting for hours on end without breaks to *exercise one's legs* is courting
for trouble.

"Point 2. Make sure you stand up and walk away from your computer on a
regular basis. Just walk around for a few minutes, stretch, and relax. This
should be done at least every hour. For my patients I recommend that they
use a timer and get away from their computer every 20 to 30 minutes."
http://www.me.berkeley.edu/ergo/services/tips.html

If you are contemplating importing these gadgets as a commercial
undertaking, it is advisable to append a warning label.

Looking at the price, I won't blame you: it is less than a (McDonald's) Big
Mac's!

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Michael Plant

et11/2/04

> You can slightly microwave tea without much harm. About 45 seconds to a
> minute should be enough.
>
> Also, a thermal carafe or thermos works fine.

I agree about the thermal carafe or thermos, but be aware that the little
unseen tea particles will continue to change the taste of the tea over time.
So, the tea will not be as fine after two hours let's say as it would be
upon first steeping. However, we all gotta do what we gotta do in this
imperfect world.

Michael

Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
> I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
> beveridge while working at my computer.

> So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
> pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
> most of a day?

I too like to sip tea at the office/lab and have a narrow temperature
preference.

I have easy access to a microwave at work so I just heat water in my
teacup and use a teaball with loose tea. The trick is that my tea
"cup" is really a one-pint mug with a lid. (My fiancee had a set of
them custom-made to my specs by a local potter as a birthday gift a
while back). In addition, I use an electric mug warmer, similar to
the following:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11065?v=glance
That's not the actual model I have - just do a google search for "mug
warmer" and you'll find a number of different brands and vendors.

I like my tea pretty hot, so I still go back for a touch-up in the
microwave every now and then, but between the mug warmer and the lid,
it stays pretty close to my desired temperature. I don't know if
that's the ideal solution for you, but it works for me.

Bon chance,
Jason Blank

Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
> I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
> beveridge while working at my computer.

> So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
> pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
> most of a day?

I too like to sip tea at the office/lab and have a narrow temperature
preference.

I have easy access to a microwave at work so I just heat water in my
teacup and use a teaball with loose tea. The trick is that my tea
"cup" is really a one-pint mug with a lid. (My fiancee had a set of
them custom-made to my specs by a local potter as a birthday gift a
while back). In addition, I use an electric mug warmer, similar to
the following:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11065?v=glance
That's not the actual model I have - just do a google search for "mug
warmer" and you'll find a number of different brands and vendors.

I like my tea pretty hot, so I still go back for a touch-up in the
microwave every now and then, but between the mug warmer and the lid,
it stays pretty close to my desired temperature. I don't know if
that's the ideal solution for you, but it works for me.

Bon chance,
Jason Blank
Darren

> Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
>
>>I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
>>beveridge while working at my computer.

>>So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
>>pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
>>most of a day?

> I too like to sip tea at the office/lab and have a narrow temperature
> preference.
>
> I have easy access to a microwave at work so I just heat water in my
> teacup and use a teaball with loose tea. The trick is that my tea
> "cup" is really a one-pint mug with a lid. (My fiancee had a set of
> them custom-made to my specs by a local potter as a birthday gift a
> while back). In addition, I use an electric mug warmer, similar to
> the following:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11065?v=glance
> That's not the actual model I have - just do a google search for "mug
> warmer" and you'll find a number of different brands and vendors.
>
> I like my tea pretty hot, so I still go back for a touch-up in the
> microwave every now and then, but between the mug warmer and the lid,
> it stays pretty close to my desired temperature. I don't know if
> that's the ideal solution for you, but it works for me.
>
> Bon chance,
> Jason Blank

A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your tea.
When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of the tea
and thus, the taste and purity. You are performing a grave injustice
when you reheat or microwave tea. Brewing a pot of tea and keeping it
hot "for the rest of the day" is also not good for the taste and quality
of your tea.

I suggest brewing a fresh cup each time you get a craving. It gives you
a break from the computer and ensures you get a quality cup of tea each
time.

Best regards,

Darren
Darren

> Top Spin > wrote in message >. ..
>
>>I have been gradually developing a taste for tea as a deskside
>>beveridge while working at my computer.

>>So, (finally) here is my question: Is there some way for me to make a
>>pot of 3-4 cups in the morning and keep it hot (but not too hot) for
>>most of a day?

> I too like to sip tea at the office/lab and have a narrow temperature
> preference.
>
> I have easy access to a microwave at work so I just heat water in my
> teacup and use a teaball with loose tea. The trick is that my tea
> "cup" is really a one-pint mug with a lid. (My fiancee had a set of
> them custom-made to my specs by a local potter as a birthday gift a
> while back). In addition, I use an electric mug warmer, similar to
> the following:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...11065?v=glance
> That's not the actual model I have - just do a google search for "mug
> warmer" and you'll find a number of different brands and vendors.
>
> I like my tea pretty hot, so I still go back for a touch-up in the
> microwave every now and then, but between the mug warmer and the lid,
> it stays pretty close to my desired temperature. I don't know if
> that's the ideal solution for you, but it works for me.
>
> Bon chance,
> Jason Blank

A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your tea.
When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of the tea
and thus, the taste and purity. You are performing a grave injustice
when you reheat or microwave tea. Brewing a pot of tea and keeping it
hot "for the rest of the day" is also not good for the taste and quality
of your tea.

I suggest brewing a fresh cup each time you get a craving. It gives you
a break from the computer and ensures you get a quality cup of tea each
time.

Best regards,

Darren
Top Spin

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:47:04 -0500, Darren >
wrote:

>A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your tea.
>When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of the tea
>and thus, the taste and purity.

Exactly what changes occur to the chemical composition?

--
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195)
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Top Spin

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

Top Spin

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Darren

Top Spin wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:47:04 -0500, Darren >
> wrote:
>

>>A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your tea.
>>When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of the tea
>>and thus, the taste and purity.

> Exactly what changes occur to the chemical composition?
>
> --
> PC: HP Omnibook 6000
> OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195)
> LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

Research could be done on the precise changes that tea undergoes
when microwaved. I do not have the equipment or expertise to carry out
such a study. I will, however, quote you what I have found from a well
regarded professional Tea taster:

"Tea should be made in a lidded vessel to contain the volatile and
vital aromatics it contains, not in an open cup. And, further, the
teapot or lidded cup should be appropriate in every respect to the tea
which is being infused inside of it."

"Volatilization or degree of evaporation (retro-nasally) is
dependent on many factors. The temperature of the tea and the surface
area of the cup or spoon changes both volatility and evaporation rate.
If I cup a tea using a cup with a surface diameter of 9 cm and an exact
tea cupper's spoon and at a temperature of 200 degrees, and if you, at
home, use a cup with a surface diameter of 7 or 11 cm, a tablespoon and
at a temperature of 130 degrees, are we then cupping the same tea?
Obviously, we are not. Can you understand how the dynamics of the flavor
profile will change?"

"Volatile flavor components can be generated in a number of ways.
Fermentation causes one type of flavor, as esters, as well as alcohols,
and trace sulfur and other components are formed. Oxidation is another
avenue of flavor component generation. Heating, cooking or browning
causes yet other flavor components to be generated..."

source: http://www.teatalk.com/general/taste.htm

Again i tell you, Tea is very delicate. My own experience with tea tells
me that a microwaved cup of tea or tea thats been sitting on a slow
burner all day, is a much different tasting and LOWER quality tea than a
freshly prepared cup.

Tea preparation should be considered an art form. Subtle changes in the
way we brew tea lead to better tasting, more enjoyable cups. Americans
especially, where tea drinking is gaining in popularity, need to make
sure we arent treating tea as something to be consumed carelessly.

Darren

Darren

Top Spin wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:47:04 -0500, Darren >
> wrote:
>

>>A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your tea.
>>When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of the tea
>>and thus, the taste and purity.

> Exactly what changes occur to the chemical composition?
>
> --
> PC: HP Omnibook 6000
> OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195)
> LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (11/03/04)

Research could be done on the precise changes that tea undergoes
when microwaved. I do not have the equipment or expertise to carry out
such a study. I will, however, quote you what I have found from a well
regarded professional Tea taster:

"Tea should be made in a lidded vessel to contain the volatile and
vital aromatics it contains, not in an open cup. And, further, the
teapot or lidded cup should be appropriate in every respect to the tea
which is being infused inside of it."

"Volatilization or degree of evaporation (retro-nasally) is
dependent on many factors. The temperature of the tea and the surface
area of the cup or spoon changes both volatility and evaporation rate.
If I cup a tea using a cup with a surface diameter of 9 cm and an exact
tea cupper's spoon and at a temperature of 200 degrees, and if you, at
home, use a cup with a surface diameter of 7 or 11 cm, a tablespoon and
at a temperature of 130 degrees, are we then cupping the same tea?
Obviously, we are not. Can you understand how the dynamics of the flavor
profile will change?"

"Volatile flavor components can be generated in a number of ways.
Fermentation causes one type of flavor, as esters, as well as alcohols,
and trace sulfur and other components are formed. Oxidation is another
avenue of flavor component generation. Heating, cooking or browning
causes yet other flavor components to be generated..."

source: http://www.teatalk.com/general/taste.htm

Again i tell you, Tea is very delicate. My own experience with tea tells
me that a microwaved cup of tea or tea thats been sitting on a slow
burner all day, is a much different tasting and LOWER quality tea than a
freshly prepared cup.

Tea preparation should be considered an art form. Subtle changes in the
way we brew tea lead to better tasting, more enjoyable cups. Americans
especially, where tea drinking is gaining in popularity, need to make
sure we arent treating tea as something to be consumed carelessly.

Darren

J Boehm

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:01:18 -0800, Top Spin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?

I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at an
elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in the
liquor and this dust seems to influence the quality. On the other hand, I
have used very clean Oolongs many times and kept them in a thermos for 5
or more hours, without a significant change in taste.
Discarding the first few seconds of a brew might possibly help, it may
remove particulate material.

JB
J Boehm

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:01:18 -0800, Top Spin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?

I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at an
elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in the
liquor and this dust seems to influence the quality. On the other hand, I
have used very clean Oolongs many times and kept them in a thermos for 5
or more hours, without a significant change in taste.
Discarding the first few seconds of a brew might possibly help, it may
remove particulate material.

JB

J Boehm

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:01:18 -0800, Top Spin wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good thermos (4-6 cup capacity)?

I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at an
elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in the
liquor and this dust seems to influence the quality. On the other hand, I
have used very clean Oolongs many times and kept them in a thermos for 5
or more hours, without a significant change in taste.
Discarding the first few seconds of a brew might possibly help, it may
remove particulate material.

JB
Dog Ma 1

J Boehm wrote:
> I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
> teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at an
> elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in the
> liquor

Always? I've read that various tea components (e.g. tannins and caffeine)
react over a few minutes to form sparingly soluble complexes that
precipitate out as a fine floc. My own results with dust-free teas are
consistent with this. In addition, the temperature-solubility profile of
some other components is so steep that a few degrees' drop, especially in
stronger brews, brings on cloudiness.

-DM

J Boehm

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:00:48 +0000, Dog Ma 1 wrote:

> J Boehm wrote:
>> I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
>> teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at
>> an elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in
>> the liquor

> Always? I've read that various tea components (e.g. tannins and caffeine)
> react over a few minutes to form sparingly soluble complexes that
> precipitate out as a fine floc. My own results with dust-free teas are
> consistent with this. In addition, the temperature-solubility profile of
> some other components is so steep that a few degrees' drop, especially in
> stronger brews, brings on cloudiness.
>
> -DM

I am not a chemist but only a simple physicist and hence try to reduce
phenomena to their simplest cause. I use a Pyrex glass beaker (from a
laboratory) to drink tea and can therefore see the opacity quite clearly.
On a number of Assams I see cloudiness quickly, hence they are not used in
a thermos anymore. However, a few Oolongs and a Turkish tea (low in
tannin) hold up very well and even after 6 hours I cannot see cloudiness.
The taste holds up pretty well too, especially with the Oolongs. I brew my
teas well below boiling, at about 80-90 centigrade, Assams are doused with
boiling water. Maybe it is time for a chemist to speak now ;-)

JB
J Boehm

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:00:48 +0000, Dog Ma 1 wrote:

> J Boehm wrote:
>> I think that you also need to look at the quality of the tea: Some of my
>> teas become cloudy (opaque) after a while and those do not keep long at
>> an elevated temperature. Cloudiness is always connected to fine dust in
>> the liquor

> Always? I've read that various tea components (e.g. tannins and caffeine)
> react over a few minutes to form sparingly soluble complexes that
> precipitate out as a fine floc. My own results with dust-free teas are
> consistent with this. In addition, the temperature-solubility profile of
> some other components is so steep that a few degrees' drop, especially in
> stronger brews, brings on cloudiness.
>
> -DM

I am not a chemist but only a simple physicist and hence try to reduce
phenomena to their simplest cause. I use a Pyrex glass beaker (from a
laboratory) to drink tea and can therefore see the opacity quite clearly.
On a number of Assams I see cloudiness quickly, hence they are not used in
a thermos anymore. However, a few Oolongs and a Turkish tea (low in
tannin) hold up very well and even after 6 hours I cannot see cloudiness.
The taste holds up pretty well too, especially with the Oolongs. I brew my
teas well below boiling, at about 80-90 centigrade, Assams are doused with
boiling water. Maybe it is time for a chemist to speak now ;-)

JB
Bee

Darren wrote:
> Top Spin wrote:
> > Darren wrote:
> > > A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your
> > > tea. When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of
> > > the tea and thus, the taste and purity.

> > Exactly what changes occur to the chemical composition?

> Research could be done on the precise changes that tea undergoes when
> microwaved. I do not have the equipment or expertise to carry out such a
> study. I will, however, quote you what I have found from a well regarded
> professional Tea taster: <snip>
> source: http://www.teatalk.com/general/taste.htm Again i tell you,
> Tea is very delicate. My own experience with tea tells me that a
> microwaved cup of tea or tea thats been sitting on a slow burner all day,
> is a much different tasting and LOWER quality tea than a freshly prepared
> cup. Tea preparation should be considered an art form. Subtle changes in
> the way we brew tea lead to better tasting, more enjoyable cups. Americans
> especially, where tea drinking is gaining in popularity, need to make sure
> we arent treating tea as something to be consumed carelessly.

My experience with microwave and with prolonged (hours) steeping has taught
me never to use these techniques: the change in quality is slight but
perceptible with the first, but considerable and unacceptable with the
second. This concurs with Darren's observation.

On the other hand, if you drink tea specifically, or additionally, for its
medicinal properties, and the enjoyment of its flavour and its aroma is low
down in priority, then prolonged steeping may be the preferred procedure.

Black, Green Tea May Slow Alzheimer's Disease
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/96/103548.htm
"The scientists steeped the green tea for 45 minutes in freshly boiled water
and prepared the black tea in boiled water for 30 minutes." in the last but
one paragraph.

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Bee

Darren wrote:
> Top Spin wrote:
> > Darren wrote:
> > > A cup of tea should be made fresh every time. NEVER microwave your
> > > tea. When you microwave tea, it changes the chemical composition of
> > > the tea and thus, the taste and purity.

> > Exactly what changes occur to the chemical composition?

> Research could be done on the precise changes that tea undergoes when
> microwaved. I do not have the equipment or expertise to carry out such a
> study. I will, however, quote you what I have found from a well regarded
> professional Tea taster: <snip>
> source: http://www.teatalk.com/general/taste.htm Again i tell you,
> Tea is very delicate. My own experience with tea tells me that a
> microwaved cup of tea or tea thats been sitting on a slow burner all day,
> is a much different tasting and LOWER quality tea than a freshly prepared
> cup. Tea preparation should be considered an art form. Subtle changes in
> the way we brew tea lead to better tasting, more enjoyable cups. Americans
> especially, where tea drinking is gaining in popularity, need to make sure
> we arent treating tea as something to be consumed carelessly.

My experience with microwave and with prolonged (hours) steeping has taught
me never to use these techniques: the change in quality is slight but
perceptible with the first, but considerable and unacceptable with the
second. This concurs with Darren's observation.

On the other hand, if you drink tea specifically, or additionally, for its
medicinal properties, and the enjoyment of its flavour and its aroma is low
down in priority, then prolonged steeping may be the preferred procedure.

Black, Green Tea May Slow Alzheimer's Disease
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/96/103548.htm
"The scientists steeped the green tea for 45 minutes in freshly boiled water
and prepared the black tea in boiled water for 30 minutes." in the last but
one paragraph.

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Keeping bread Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 59 06-04-2013 06:43 PM
keeping insects out [email protected] General Cooking 7 21-03-2007 09:18 PM
Keeping it hot Kevin B Barbecue 4 23-06-2005 10:41 PM
Keeping Onions [email protected] General Cooking 9 22-02-2005 09:03 PM
keeping in touch A M Recipes 1 15-09-2004 02:28 AM