Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carving the Turkey

Heya folks,

Just saw this article and video in the NYT on carving a turkey.....
Really good!

The article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/21carv.html

The video:
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...1d6f5c55e64f14

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> The article:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/21carv.html
>
> The video:
> http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...1d6f5c55e64f14

I haven't yet looked but I gather this is a MUCH needed guide. Carving
was always the man's job at my family's holiday meals. For some reason
it seems as if some young lately (mine included?) missed that lesson in
food school that day? I am passing this along to a few folks I know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> The article:
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/21carv.html
>>
>> The video:
>> http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...1d6f5c55e64f14

> I haven't yet looked but I gather this is a MUCH needed guide. Carving was
> always the man's job at my family's holiday meals.

What? You mean men HAVE a job at holiday meals besides falling out on the
couch afterward and grunting in an icky way if you ask them to take out the
trash?

I've been ROBBED!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> >> The article:
> >> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/21carv.html
> >>
> >> The video:
> >> http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...1d6f5c55e64f14

> > I haven't yet looked but I gather this is a MUCH needed guide. Carving was
> > always the man's job at my family's holiday meals.

> What? You mean men HAVE a job at holiday meals besides falling out on the
> couch afterward and grunting in an icky way if you ask them to take out the
> trash?
>
> I've been ROBBED!

Of course we do - we have to do the cooking so it will be good - y'all
can busy yourselves with decorating the table... Out of my kitchen!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>>
>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > I haven't yet looked but I gather this is a MUCH needed guide. Carving
>> > was
>> > always the man's job at my family's holiday meals.

>> What? You mean men HAVE a job at holiday meals besides falling out on the
>> couch afterward and grunting in an icky way if you ask them to take out
>> the
>> trash?
>>
>> I've been ROBBED!

> Of course we do - we have to do the cooking so it will be good - y'all
> can busy yourselves with decorating the table... Out of my kitchen!

So, are you married?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > cybercat wrote:
> >>
> >> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> >> What? You mean men HAVE a job at holiday meals besides falling out on the
> >> couch afterward and grunting in an icky way if you ask them to take out
> >> the
> >> trash?
> >>
> >> I've been ROBBED!

> > Of course we do - we have to do the cooking so it will be good - y'all
> > can busy yourselves with decorating the table... Out of my kitchen!

> So, are you married?

Only the short furry wife (cat).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 12:10 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message

> > cybercat wrote:

> >> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> m...

> >> What? You mean men HAVE a job at holiday meals
> >> besides falling out on the couch afterward and grunting
> >> in an icky way if you ask them to take out
> >> the trash?

> >> I've been ROBBED!

> > Of course we do - we have to do the cooking so it will be good - y'all
> > can busy yourselves with decorating the table... Out of my kitchen!

I do ALL the cooking, except dessert, which is my wife's province. I
will, however, be the one to procure the pumpkin from "that thing."
"That thing" is a pumpkin. My wife knows how to get the "pumpkin"*
out of the can, but not out of the squash itself. I bought her ground
clove, ginger and Ceylon cinnamon yesterday at Penzey's.
This brings me to the "CRAP!" part. Penzey's quit making powdered bay
leaf!
Other than pepper, powdered bay leaf is the seasoning I use most
frequently. Whole bay leaves take forever, compared to powdered.
Now, it's either use inferior powdered, or take an extra hour to
infuse the leaves. Grrrr.

> So, are you married?

One reason that I'm happily married is that I do 99% of the cooking.

* canned pumpkin is really "Dickinson squash," *Cucurbita moschata*,
not pumpkin, *Cucurbita pepo*.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote in message
> On Nov 21, 12:10 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

>> m...

>> > Of course we do - we have to do the cooking so it will be good - y'all
>> > can busy yourselves with decorating the table... Out of my kitchen!

> I do ALL the cooking, except dessert, which is my wife's province. I
> will, however, be the one to procure the pumpkin from "that thing."
> "That thing" is a pumpkin. My wife knows how to get the "pumpkin"*
> out of the can, but not out of the squash itself. I bought her ground
> clove, ginger and Ceylon cinnamon yesterday at Penzey's.
> This brings me to the "CRAP!" part. Penzey's quit making powdered bay
> leaf!
> Other than pepper, powdered bay leaf is the seasoning I use most
> frequently. Whole bay leaves take forever, compared to powdered.
> Now, it's either use inferior powdered, or take an extra hour to
> infuse the leaves. Grrrr.
>>
>> So, are you married?

> One reason that I'm happily married is that I do 99% of the cooking.
>
> * canned pumpkin is really "Dickinson squash," *Cucurbita moschata*,
> not pumpkin, *Cucurbita pepo*.
>
> --Bryan

Couldn't you break up some bay leaves and grind them to a powder in a coffee grinder or similar?
David.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 21, 10:58 am, "David" <cosmosatnointerbaunspamdotcom> wrote:
> "Bobo Bonobo(R)" > wrote in message

> >> m...

> > I do ALL the cooking, except dessert, which is my wife's province. I
> > will, however, be the one to procure the pumpkin from "that thing."
> > "That thing" is a pumpkin. My wife knows how to get the "pumpkin"*
> > out of the can, but not out of the squash itself. I bought her ground
> > clove, ginger and Ceylon cinnamon yesterday at Penzey's.
> > This brings me to the "CRAP!" part. Penzey's quit making powdered bay
> > leaf!
> > Other than pepper, powdered bay leaf is the seasoning I use most
> > frequently. Whole bay leaves take forever, compared to powdered.
> > Now, it's either use inferior powdered, or take an extra hour to
> > infuse the leaves. Grrrr.

> >> So, are you married?

> > One reason that I'm happily married is that I do 99% of the cooking.

> > * canned pumpkin is really "Dickinson squash," *Cucurbita moschata*,
> > not pumpkin, *Cucurbita pepo*.

> > --Bryan

> Couldn't you break up some bay leaves and grind them
> to a powder in a coffee grinder or similar?

Maybe. I guess I'll go ahead and buy another electric milling thingie
dedicated to other-than-coffee stuff. Maybe it'll work.

> David.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:41:41 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo(R)"
> wrote:

>> Couldn't you break up some bay leaves and grind them
>> to a powder in a coffee grinder or similar?

>Maybe. I guess I'll go ahead and buy another electric milling thingie
>dedicated to other-than-coffee stuff. Maybe it'll work.

I always see them in the no-name piles of appliances at hardware
stores and homecenters. Always well under 10 bucks. A great addition
to your kitchen arsenal.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:28:38 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>Just saw this article and video in the NYT on carving a turkey.....
>Really good!
>
>The article:
>http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dining/21carv.html
>
>The video:
>http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...1d6f5c55e64f14
>

>Christine

Thanks for posting this Christine. I'm sure it's going to improve my
carving skills. I also watched the Mark Bittman pan fried pizza
video. Looks weird but I might just try it.

Lou