Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Sweet Corn Tamale

Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
make it at home.

Photos and step by step if interested.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e

Here's the recipe

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Basic Sweet Corn Tamale

vegetables

3 cups fresh corn kernels; ~ 4 to 5 ears
cut from the freshest corn which; enhances the sweetness
1 cup cornmeal; yellow or white
depending on what color corn; you use
8 ounces unsalted sweet cream butter; room temperature
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
2 cups egg white

Select the sweetest, fresh corn possible. Shuck and then with a very
sharp knife cut the kernels off the cob. Now take the blunt side of
your knife and scrape the cob to remove any juice that remains. There
will always be some corn juice on the cob, every drip counts!. Place
it in the food processor and purée.
Place (the corn purée) in a large steel bowl and then
proceed to whisk the egg whites until stiff and firm.
While they are whipping fold the salt and cornmeal into the corn
purée. When the eggs are ready, fold half of them into the corn
mixture and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the whites and fold in
gently at this stage so as to leave as much air in the whites as
possible. Break the butter into walnut-size pieces and fold them into
the mixture.
You will need a container that fits into the stove top steaming pot.
Butter the container (add the corn purée) and cover it with plastic
wrap. Place it in the steamer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove; (from
the steamer) gently turn the mixture over bringing the outside part of
it to the middle. Cover and return it to cook for another 15 minutes

To serve as a side dish with dinner, I suggest using an ice cream-type
scoop and scoop it into a green corn husk. Top with Roasted Corn
Confetti salsa and there it is. If you crave this in the winter months
and cannot find fresh corn then you may use frozen corn.

This is the second most popular recipe requested from our menu. It's
origins lay in Mexico, where it is called Tamale Verde. The literal
translation is: green tamale. This is because it is made with fresh
corn that has green husks around the masa. It is steamed and served
immediately.
This is enjoyed at its best when made fresh for dinner; however, it
can be made in advance and re-steamed. The filling can be anything
from dried fruits and nuts to be served as a dessert or simply as a
side dish, an appetizer, or stuffed with virtually any filling of your
choice.
This is the basic recipe that you can use in the other sections
throughout this cookbook. I suggest it always be made in at least this
amount, as you will realize it has a tendency to disappear the moment
it is left out to cool.
Allow for one-third of it to be sampled before your guests arrive. Be
warned!

8-4oz servings

Notes: The Turquoise Room Winslow AZ

Yield: 8-4oz serv

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:

>Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
>I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
>make it at home.
>
>Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

>or
>http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
>
>Here's the recipe
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Basic Sweet Corn Tamale
>
>vegetables
>
>3 cups fresh corn kernels; ~ 4 to 5 ears
> cut from the freshest corn which; enhances the sweetness
>1 cup cornmeal; yellow or white
> depending on what color corn; you use
>8 ounces unsalted sweet cream butter; room temperature
>1/2 tablespoon sea salt
>2 cups egg white
>
>Select the sweetest, fresh corn possible. Shuck and then with a very
>sharp knife cut the kernels off the cob. Now take the blunt side of
>your knife and scrape the cob to remove any juice that remains. There
>will always be some corn juice on the cob, every drip counts!. Place
>it in the food processor and purée.
>Place (the corn purée) in a large steel bowl and then
>proceed to whisk the egg whites until stiff and firm.
>While they are whipping fold the salt and cornmeal into the corn
>purée. When the eggs are ready, fold half of them into the corn
>mixture and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the whites and fold in
>gently at this stage so as to leave as much air in the whites as
>possible. Break the butter into walnut-size pieces and fold them into
>the mixture.
>You will need a container that fits into the stove top steaming pot.
>Butter the container (add the corn purée) and cover it with plastic
>wrap. Place it in the steamer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove; (from
>the steamer) gently turn the mixture over bringing the outside part of
>it to the middle. Cover and return it to cook for another 15 minutes
>
>To serve as a side dish with dinner, I suggest using an ice cream-type
>scoop and scoop it into a green corn husk. Top with Roasted Corn
>Confetti salsa and there it is.

Might taste okay with some shredded pork/chicken added, and definitely
needs seasoning, but still it's not a tamale.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>
> Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
> I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
> make it at home.
>
> Photos and step by step if interested.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e

When I finally got up the nerve to go to the Mexican market back when I
still lived in TN, I asked for tamales. I was looking for spicy meat-filled
tamales. (I've made them from scratch, too much work, sorry.) They didn't
speak English. I was sold sweet corn tamales. NOT what I was looking for.

I'm very glad you enjoyed them, koko. But this is why I don't venture into
markets where no one speaks English.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 14, 1:44*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
> > I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
> > make it at home.

> > Photos and step by step if interested.
> >http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...orn-tamale-ala...

> > or
> >http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e

> When I finally got up the nerve to go to the Mexican market back when I
> still lived in TN, I asked for tamales. *I was looking for spicy meat-filled
> tamales. *(I've made them from scratch, too much work, sorry.) *They didn't
> speak English. *I was sold sweet corn tamales. *NOT what I was looking for.
>
> I'm very glad you enjoyed them, koko. *But this is why I don't venture into
> markets where no one speaks English.
>
> Jill

Learn to speak Spanish or get a Spanish translator book or electronic
translator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:

> Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
> I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
> make it at home.
>
> Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

> or
> http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
>
> Here's the recipe

Copied and saved! I love corn tamales, but have never made them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:20:31 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:
>
>> Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
>> I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
>> make it at home.
>>
>> Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
>>
>> Here's the recipe

>I love corn tamales,

ALL tamales are 'corn tamales', oxyMORON!

>but have never made them.

And you never will.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...corn-tamale-al
> > a-the-turquoise-room.html
> >
> > or
> > http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
> >
> > Here's the recipe

> Copied and saved! I love corn tamales, but have never made them.

Nor have I made them but they sure looked interesting and not that hard
to do!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:
>

> >Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
> >I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
> >make it at home.
> >
> >Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

> >or
> >http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
> >
> >Here's the recipe
> >
> >@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
> >
> >Basic Sweet Corn Tamale
> >
> >vegetables
> >
> >3 cups fresh corn kernels; ~ 4 to 5 ears
> > cut from the freshest corn which; enhances the sweetness
> >1 cup cornmeal; yellow or white
> > depending on what color corn; you use
> >8 ounces unsalted sweet cream butter; room temperature
> >1/2 tablespoon sea salt
> >2 cups egg white
> >
> >Select the sweetest, fresh corn possible. Shuck and then with a very
> >sharp knife cut the kernels off the cob. Now take the blunt side of
> >your knife and scrape the cob to remove any juice that remains. There
> >will always be some corn juice on the cob, every drip counts!. Place
> >it in the food processor and purée.
> >Place (the corn purée) in a large steel bowl and then
> >proceed to whisk the egg whites until stiff and firm.
> >While they are whipping fold the salt and cornmeal into the corn
> >purée. When the eggs are ready, fold half of them into the corn
> >mixture and blend until smooth. Add the rest of the whites and fold in
> >gently at this stage so as to leave as much air in the whites as
> >possible. Break the butter into walnut-size pieces and fold them into
> >the mixture.
> >You will need a container that fits into the stove top steaming pot.
> >Butter the container (add the corn purée) and cover it with plastic
> >wrap. Place it in the steamer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove; (from
> >the steamer) gently turn the mixture over bringing the outside part of
> >it to the middle. Cover and return it to cook for another 15 minutes
> >
> >To serve as a side dish with dinner, I suggest using an ice cream-type
> >scoop and scoop it into a green corn husk. Top with Roasted Corn
> >Confetti salsa and there it is.

> Might taste okay with some shredded pork/chicken added, and definitely
> needs seasoning, but still it's not a tamale.

Agreed. It's more or less a corn pudding and has little to nothing to do
with tamales.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:20:31 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>> Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
>>> I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
>>> make it at home.
>>>
>>> Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
>>>
>>> Here's the recipe

>>I love corn tamales,

> ALL tamales are 'corn tamales', oxyMORON!

Correction, Sheldon: Masa harina is made from corn, of course. But not all
tamales are sweet corn tamales. The ones I made (once, and only once,
around 1995) were definitely savory, not sweet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:20:31 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:
>>
>>> Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
>>> I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait to
>>> make it at home.
>>>
>>> Photos and step by step if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/7evuv2e
>>>
>>> Here's the recipe

>>I love corn tamales,

> ALL tamales are 'corn tamales', oxyMORON!

Sheldon... tamales are made with masa harina (very finely ground cornmeal)
but not all corn tamales are "sweet corn tamales". Not all tamales are
sweet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:52:44 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...oise-room.html

>>>I love corn tamales,

>> ALL tamales are 'corn tamales', oxyMORON!
>>

>Sheldon... tamales are made with masa harina (very finely ground cornmeal)
>but not all corn tamales are "sweet corn tamales". Not all tamales are
>sweet.
>
>Jill

Still corn regardless. And those are NOT tamales, no way, no how...
more a fercocktah corn pudding... just because someone places a scoop
of shit on a corn husk that in no way makes it a tamale.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshenk View Post
sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:39:05 -0700, wrote:

Lovely, slightly sweet, little pillow of deliciousness.
I had this dish at The Turquoise Room Restaurant and couldn't wait
to make it at home.

Photos and step by step if interested.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...corn-tamale-al
a-the-turquoise-room.html

or
Sweet Corn Tamale ala The Turquoise Room (koko's corner)

--
Not hard, but they take time to steam (like 45 minutes each). tamales are not a Mexican thing, per se. They are quintessential Latino food. The best, IMHO, are made in Peru (Ecuador a close second). They really add some spices and colors (like pulverized annatto seeds).

Instead of the cool lookin' corn husks, you can just use some plastic wrap and aluminum foil for the steaming. I make big ones that, where I always went in Mexico they called "Brazo de Raina" (Queen's arm). With chyicken and choya leaves, out of this work. Third best tamal on the planet (this was in Merida, MX).

Give it a shot. Just remmeber to use lard or bacon fat, and to steam them liberally. Making messes of them is a day long excuse to have friends and family over for chat and hangin'. Typical Sunday fodder for Latin America.