Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Injector marinade for rump roast

Any good ideas on this ? I need a quickie easy one. Thinking of garlic,
pepper, no salt (maybe a little), a little lime juice, a little vingar and
olive oil...any additions ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." > wrote in message
.. .
> Any good ideas on this ? I need a quickie easy one. Thinking of garlic,
> pepper, no salt (maybe a little), a little lime juice, a little vingar and
> olive oil...any additions ?

Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the butchers call it.
You're best off larding it, and seasoning the lardoons. You can lard easily
with thin strips of bacon drenched in seasonings.
Good Luck,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

*********************************
> Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the butchers call

it.
> You're best off larding it, and seasoning the lardoons. You can lard

easily
> with thin strips of bacon drenched in seasonings.
> Good Luck,
>
> Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>Kent said " Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the

butchers call it."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:40:36 -0700, theChas. wrote:

>>>Kent said " Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the

>> butchers call it."
>> ******************************
>> I can't find your post on this. Found 2 others

>I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

Do you disagree with the suggestion of barding, or...?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 16:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:

>> Do you disagree with the suggestion of barding, or...?

>Absolutely. Basting with lard or tallow, or wrapping in strips
>of pork belly would have the same effect with a lot less effort,
>all with very little return.

>Marbled meat is done naturally. I've barded a few times and had
>very unspectacular results.

Okay, that's a datapoint, but there are other datapoints in
favor of barding. Myself I haven't tried it.

(Not only did I fail to baste this rump, I had trimmed off
most of the fat... probably a mistake. I'm glad people liked
it anyway, thanks notably to is nice agressive free-range flavor.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 5, 11:58?am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2007 16:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >>I wouldn't spend too much time on it.

> > Do you disagree with the suggestion of barding, or...?

> Absolutely. Basting with lard or tallow, or wrapping in strips
> of pork belly would have the same effect with a lot less effort,
> all with very little return.
>
> Marbled meat is done naturally. I've barded a few times and had
> very unspectacular results.

Agreed, really does nothing for raised beef... barding was initiated
for large sections of wild game, helps some when roasting extremely
lean meats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

>Agreed, really does nothing for raised beef... barding was initiated
>for large sections of wild game, helps some when roasting extremely
>lean meats.

Seems to be confirmed by the literature -- Joy of Cooking has
sections on both barding and larding meat, but doesn't recommend
it in any braised beef recipe.

Nor does Julia Child. Interestingly her directions for braising
vary significantly from Marcella Hazan's -- she says to keep
the a liquid level of 1/4" to 1/2" by adding small amounts
of boiling water as you go along... sounds like a bit of a hassle.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"theChas." > wrote in message
.. .
>> > Any good ideas on this ? I need a quickie easy one. Thinking of

> garlic,
> pepper, no salt (maybe a little), a little lime juice, a little vingar and
>> > olive oil...any additions ?> >

> *********************************
>> Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the butchers call

> it.
>> You're best off larding it, and seasoning the lardoons. You can lard

> easily
>> with thin strips of bacon drenched in seasonings.
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Kent

> ******************************
> Will I need a special tool to lard it with...the one with the 3 sided
> blade?

A larding needle can be purchased in most restaurant supply houses. It's a
very simple
two sided needle that let's you push into the beef and pull the pork fat in.
I don't think I've seen
them in any retail stores.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..

> "theChas." > wrote in message
> .. .

>> garlic,
>> pepper, no salt (maybe a little), a little lime juice, a little vingar
>> and

>> *********************************
>>> Look at my post above about "rump" or bottom round, as the butchers call

>> it.
>>> You're best off larding it, and seasoning the lardoons. You can lard

>> easily
>>> with thin strips of bacon drenched in seasonings.
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Kent

>> ******************************
>> Will I need a special tool to lard it with...the one with the 3 sided
>> blade?
>>

> A larding needle can be purchased in most restaurant supply houses. It's a
> very simple
> two sided needle that let's you push into the beef and pull the pork fat
> in. I don't think I've seen
> them in any retail stores.
>
> Kent

Oops! I just went to the kitchen; my larding needle has 4 sides on the blunt
end to hold the strip of fat. Sorry for the mistake.

Kent