Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Key lime juice

I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to preserve
the juice after removing it from the fruit?

Refrigeration?
Freezing?

How long can I expect it keep?

Love key lime pie!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bishoop wrote:
> I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to preserve
> the juice after removing it from the fruit?

make lots of key lime pies and eat them?

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 4:21 pm, "Bishoop" > wrote:
> I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to preserve
> the juice after removing it from the fruit?
>
> Refrigeration?
> Freezing?
>
> How long can I expect it keep?
>
> Love key lime pie!

Lucky you! How large quantities? If you have a lot, try making lemon
bars with key lime juice. I bet that would be so good. Or how about
roasting chicken with key lime juice and garlic.

I would juice and freeze in ice cube trays and ziploc six cubes or so
at a time?

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 4, 6:30?pm, Karen > wrote:
> On Nov 4, 4:21 pm, "Bishoop" > wrote:
>
> > I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to preserve
> > the juice after removing it from the fruit?

> > Refrigeration?
> > Freezing?

> > How long can I expect it keep?

> > Love key lime pie!

> Lucky you! How large quantities? If you have a lot, try making lemon
> bars with key lime juice. I bet that would be so good. Or how about
> roasting chicken with key lime juice and garlic.
>
> I would juice and freeze in ice cube trays and ziploc six cubes or so
> at a time?
>
> Karen

-------------------
I second Karen's suggestion--I have had great success puting lime
juice into an ice-cube tray (the flexible blue ones work best). When
they are frozen solid I put them in plastic bags, zip shut, and put in
freezer. Very handy.
Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Nov 4, 4:21 pm, "Bishoop" > wrote:
>> I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to
>> preserve
>> the juice after removing it from the fruit?
>>
>> Refrigeration?
>> Freezing?
>>
>> How long can I expect it keep?
>>
>> Love key lime pie!

> Lucky you! How large quantities? If you have a lot, try making lemon
> bars with key lime juice. I bet that would be so good. Or how about
> roasting chicken with key lime juice and garlic.
>
> I would juice and freeze in ice cube trays and ziploc six cubes or so
> at a time?
>
> Karen

Thanks for the ice cube trick.

Quantity? Until the tree is bare, and it's loaded.

The pie is fantastic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Nov 4, 4:21 pm, "Bishoop" > wrote:
> I have access to quantities of Key limes. What is the best way to preserve
> the juice after removing it from the fruit? [snip]

Yeah, my tree is loaded, too. The limes are usable now but will stay
on the tree and ripen to yellow later. Freeze the juice in ice cube
trays, store cubes in ziploc bags. If you like key lime pie, zest the
limes before you squeeze them and freeze the zest as well. Need that
to give the extra tang to the pie. Here's the recipe I use: -aem

Key Lime Pie

Graham Cracker Crust

1.5 cups well crushed graham crackers, or a little more for a thicker
crust
3 TB sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) butter (or a little less), very soft or melted

Mix the ingredients well and press firmly into a 9" pie plate. You
may find it helpful to use the bottom of a jar to press the crumbs
into the plate. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 10 - 12 minutes
until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool. You may want to
shape the crust a little more at this point.

Pie Filling

4 large or extra large egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 12 Key or 6 Mexican
limes)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, yellow [or green] portion only

Zest or grate the limes before cutting them to juice. Beat the egg
yolks very well until they are thick and turn a lighter yellow. Add
the sweetened condensed milk and half the lime juice, stirring/mixing
slowly but well until it's all well incorporated. Then add the
remaining juice and the zest, mix until well blended. Pour the
mixture into the cooled pie shell and bake at 350°F for about 12
minutes, until custard is just set. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate
for 2 hours or so to fully set the filling. Bring back to room temp
for serving, if desired. Whipped cream topping is optional but a good
complement.