Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Frozen meals?

"Serene" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I have been wondering how Serene made out, has
>> anyone heard? I might have missed it.

> Well, aren't you sweet. I go in tomorrow morning.

Darn, I hoped it was over already.

> I had the pre-op checkup today, and I'm okayed for the surgery, even
> though my blood pressure was a little high. They're keeping me overnight,
> so I'll be back on Friday afternoon or so. Y'all post lots so I have
> something to do this weekend while I can't talk, 'kay? :-)

Okay, I'll see what I can stir up. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 07 Nov 2007 07:32:57p, Nancy Young meant to say...

> "Serene" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I have been wondering how Serene made out, has anyone heard? I might
>>> have missed it.

>> Well, aren't you sweet. I go in tomorrow morning.

> Darn, I hoped it was over already.
>
>> I had the pre-op checkup today, and I'm okayed for the surgery, even
>> though my blood pressure was a little high. They're keeping me
>> overnight, so I'll be back on Friday afternoon or so. Y'all post lots
>> so I have something to do this weekend while I can't talk, 'kay? :-)

> Okay, I'll see what I can stir up. Heh.
>
> nancy

Knowing you, Nancy, it will probably be trouble. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Modem: What landscapers do to dem lawns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> Oh pshaw, on Wed 07 Nov 2007 07:32:57p, Nancy Young meant to say...

>> "Serene" > wrote

>>> I had the pre-op checkup today, and I'm okayed for the surgery, even
>>> though my blood pressure was a little high. They're keeping me
>>> overnight, so I'll be back on Friday afternoon or so. Y'all post lots
>>> so I have something to do this weekend while I can't talk, 'kay? :-)

>> Okay, I'll see what I can stir up. Heh.

> Knowing you, Nancy, it will probably be trouble. :-)

My mind is already reeling with possibilities.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in
:

> "Serene" > wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I have been wondering how Serene made out, has
>>> anyone heard? I might have missed it.

>> Well, aren't you sweet. I go in tomorrow morning.

> Darn, I hoped it was over already.
>
>> I had the pre-op checkup today, and I'm okayed for the surgery, even
>> though my blood pressure was a little high. They're keeping me
>> overnight, so I'll be back on Friday afternoon or so. Y'all post
>> lots so I have something to do this weekend while I can't talk, 'kay?
>> :-)

> Okay, I'll see what I can stir up. Heh.
>
> nancy

Does this mean we'll have to post in sign language?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 2, 10:46?am, Serene > wrote:
> Hi, Gang,
>
> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
> at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
> that. I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end
> up ordering pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong
> with pizza; he just ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal
> if I am not home to cook and there's nothing easy in the house. He's
> diabetic, and it's best if he eats more varied and wholesome foods,
> in general. He prefers it, too. And I like cooking for him, and for
> the rest of my family and friends.
>
> What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
> fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
> things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
> tasty. Cheap would be a bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and
> with a 60/40 insurance plan, that's not going to change any time
> soon. Don't get me started on the state of health insurance in this
> country. *deep breaths*
>
> Anyway.
>
> Yesterday, we had a chicken enchilada casserole from that batch I
> made the other week, but those are gone now, so I want to put in at
> least a couple things to tide the family over while I'm on my back
> (and not in that nice way that we like).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Why not a huge pot of hearty soup... I did a 10 quart pot filled with
white beans and smoked ham hocks and tons of veggies today... don't
really need to freeze it, just reheat each day till it's gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:45:12 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Wed 07 Nov 2007 07:32:57p, Nancy Young meant to say...

>>> "Serene" > wrote

>>> Okay, I'll see what I can stir up. Heh.

>> Knowing you, Nancy, it will probably be trouble. :-)

>My mind is already reeling with possibilities.
>
>nancy

I'm happy to hear that. Alfredo sauce, canned cream of mushroom soup
and Cesar salad are getting a little old.
I think you need to stir (note cooking term) up something new. We are
counting on you.
Something "authentic" would be nice.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/04

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MR

SHELTON;'
..

HOW MANY TIM ES DO YOU REHEAT IT UNITL ITS:" GONE!'';; ??

FATTY

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 2, 10:46?am, Serene > wrote:
>> Hi, Gang,
>>
>> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for
>> at least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after
>> that. I want to leave frozen meals for James so that he doesn't end
>> up ordering pizza the whole time I'm gone. There's nothing wrong
>> with pizza; he just ends up eating pizza and hot dogs for every meal
>> if I am not home to cook and there's nothing easy in the house. He's
>> diabetic, and it's best if he eats more varied and wholesome foods,
>> in general. He prefers it, too. And I like cooking for him, and for
>> the rest of my family and friends.
>>
>> What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
>> fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
>> things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
>> tasty. Cheap would be a bonus, too, as we're kind of strapped, and
>> with a 60/40 insurance plan, that's not going to change any time
>> soon. Don't get me started on the state of health insurance in this
>> country. *deep breaths*
>>
>> Anyway.
>>
>> Yesterday, we had a chicken enchilada casserole from that batch I
>> made the other week, but those are gone now, so I want to put in at
>> least a couple things to tide the family over while I'm on my back
>> (and not in that nice way that we like).
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help!

> Why not a huge pot of hearty soup... I did a 10 quart pot filled with
> white beans and smoked ham hocks and tons of veggies today... don't
> really need to freeze it, just reheat each day till it's gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In news:rec.food.cooking, "Dee.Dee" > posted on Wed, 7
Nov 2007 00:42:48 -0500:

> Before you go to the trouble of making cream of mushroom soup (or the
> bechamel required to do so, I suppose),
> try shaking some flour over your noodles, heat some milk to pour over, slice
> some mushrooms to spread around. There you go!

Oh, it's no trouble as long as I have the time to do it. How wonderful
it'd be if we could make all our foods from the most basic, raw
ingredients! If I didn't have a car payment, credit card debt, and student
loans, I'd try to set myself up to work less and farm more....or just farm.
I don't farm at all right now except for a tomato plant I have growing in a
pot. It even has a tomato on it, but the tomato has a tumor. ; ;

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> Dee.Dee wrote:

>> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
>> pressure goes.

> I walk into the office and up my blood pressure goes too, Dee Dee.

I haven't the vaguest idea why the medical staff doesn't get that.
I tell them, you can take my blood pressure, but until you draw
blood, it's going to be sky high because I'm a big baby. Needles
scary. Take it again after. They always seem surprised it's normal
on the second take.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> koko wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 21:45:12 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

>>> My mind is already reeling with possibilities.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> I'm happy to hear that. Alfredo sauce, canned cream of mushroom soup
>> and Cesar salad are getting a little old.
>> I think you need to stir (note cooking term) up something new. We are
>> counting on you.
>> Something "authentic" would be nice.

> Something "authentic". Hmmm, have we had a recent thread about Rotel and
> Velveeta? :~)

I'm thinking that people who can't figure out what chicken scampi
is need a checkup from the neck up.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> Well, aren't you sweet. I go in tomorrow morning. I had the pre-op
> checkup today, and I'm okayed for the surgery, even though my blood
> pressure was a little high. They're keeping me overnight, so I'll be
> back on Friday afternoon or so. Y'all post lots so I have something to
> do this weekend while I can't talk, 'kay? :-)
>
> Serene

We will have plenty of messages to post. We are still figuring out what
Andy can and can not eat. This could get exciting.

Take care of yourself.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:47:22 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote
>
>> koko wrote:

>>> I'm happy to hear that. Alfredo sauce, canned cream of mushroom soup
>>> and Cesar salad are getting a little old.
>>> I think you need to stir (note cooking term) up something new. We are
>>> counting on you.
>>> Something "authentic" would be nice.

>> Something "authentic". Hmmm, have we had a recent thread about Rotel and
>> Velveeta? :~)

>I'm thinking that people who can't figure out what chicken scampi
>is need a checkup from the neck up.
>
>nancy

Did I ever tell you about my friend that got charged $250.00 for a
cookie recipe? sheesh!!!!!

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 11/04

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
> pressure goes.

Was in the hospital over the Labor Day weekend and the week following
for stomach complaints. They did some tests and operated, taking out a
16 inch long piece of small bowel that turned out to be cancerous. The
whole time I was there my BP was low, except for the time they kept me
an extra day. Luckily they didn't take my BP after the vampires came for
blood samples - that will definitely raise the numbers.

What I learned to do to keep my BP low was to meditate and do relaxation
breaths. That freaked out the hospital personnel a bit - they thought I
was going falling asleep.

Serene: good luck and get well soon. May your incarceration in the
hospital be a short one!
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default blood pressu was Frozen meals?

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > Dee.Dee wrote:

> >> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
> >> pressure goes.

> > I walk into the office and up my blood pressure goes too, Dee Dee.

> I haven't the vaguest idea why the medical staff doesn't get that.
> I tell them, you can take my blood pressure, but until you draw
> blood, it's going to be sky high because I'm a big baby. Needles
> scary. Take it again after. They always seem surprised it's normal
> on the second take.

I hate that. It's the same for me. The nurse takes my pressure and
it's too high. The doctor takes it and it's OK (sometimes). The blood
drawing was getting ridiculous. "How am I doing?" Don't know, haven't
seen the blood results. A waste of my time, the doctor's time and a
waste of money for the company. My doctor isn't stupid. I have
multiple medical issues. My doctor has no idea what is going on until
he sees my blood results. So for many years, I go in to the lab the
week before I see the doctor. When I see the doctor, he's got
everything in front of him. When I leave his office, he's given me a
lab slip for the next visit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,

>>> I walk into the office and up my blood pressure goes too, Dee Dee.

>> I haven't the vaguest idea why the medical staff doesn't get that.
>> I tell them, you can take my blood pressure, but until you draw
>> blood, it's going to be sky high because I'm a big baby. Needles
>> scary. Take it again after. They always seem surprised it's normal
>> on the second take.

> I hate that. It's the same for me. The nurse takes my pressure and
> it's too high. The doctor takes it and it's OK (sometimes). The blood
> drawing was getting ridiculous. "How am I doing?" Don't know, haven't
> seen the blood results. A waste of my time, the doctor's time and a
> waste of money for the company. My doctor isn't stupid. I have
> multiple medical issues. My doctor has no idea what is going on until
> he sees my blood results. So for many years, I go in to the lab the
> week before I see the doctor. When I see the doctor, he's got
> everything in front of him. When I leave his office, he's given me a
> lab slip for the next visit.

The truth of the matter is that the majority of staff at most doctors
offices are NOT nurses at all but rather "Medical Assistants" who are
unlicensed, often minimally educated personnel. The public and often the
doctors themselves improperly call them "Nurse" but that is deceptive
and in many states actually illegal. The title Nurse is a protected
title in many states in the US.
And blood pressure readings vary greatly... full bladder? Crossed legs?
White coat syndrome? All can affect a reading in the same visit. If
hypertension is an issue, there are tricks to getting the best reading
possible. Usually medical assistants take it at the worst possible time
and in the worst possible fashion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jack wrote:
> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>
>> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
>> pressure goes.
>>

> Was in the hospital over the Labor Day weekend and the week following
> for stomach complaints. They did some tests and operated, taking out a
> 16 inch long piece of small bowel that turned out to be cancerous.

Yikes! Did they get it all?

> Serene: good luck and get well soon. May your incarceration in the
> hospital be a short one!

Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to
normal today, but I tire easily.

A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and
some salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet
that we can have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny
it." -- Garrison Keillor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:

> Take care of yourself.

Thanks! All is pretty much back to normal around here. Thanks for
all the good wishes, everyone.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
Thomas Jefferson (source: Unknown)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message

> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we can
> have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>
> Serene

I'm glad everything is good for you.
Lots of rest.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
>>> pressure goes.
>>>

>> Was in the hospital over the Labor Day weekend and the week following
>> for stomach complaints. They did some tests and operated, taking out a
>> 16 inch long piece of small bowel that turned out to be cancerous.

> Yikes! Did they get it all?
>

>> Serene: good luck and get well soon. May your incarceration in the
>> hospital be a short one!

> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to normal
> today, but I tire easily.
>
> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we can
> have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>
> Serene

Glad to hear you're doing well.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Dan Abel wrote:

>>> I hate that. It's the same for me. The nurse takes my pressure and
>>> it's too high. The doctor takes it and it's OK (sometimes). The
>>> blood drawing was getting ridiculous. "How am I doing?" Don't
>>> know, haven't seen the blood results. A waste of my time, the
>>> doctor's time and a waste of money for the company. My doctor isn't
>>> stupid. I have multiple medical issues. My doctor has no idea what
>>> is going on until he sees my blood results. So for many years, I go
>>> in to the lab the week before I see the doctor. When I see the
>>> doctor, he's got everything in front of him. When I leave his
>>> office, he's given me a lab slip for the next visit.

>> The truth of the matter is that the majority of staff at most doctors
>> offices are NOT nurses at all but rather "Medical Assistants" who are
>> unlicensed, often minimally educated personnel. The public and often
>> the doctors themselves improperly call them "Nurse" but that is
>> deceptive and in many states actually illegal. The title Nurse is a
>> protected title in many states in the US.
>> And blood pressure readings vary greatly... full bladder? Crossed
>> legs? White coat syndrome? All can affect a reading in the same
>> visit. If hypertension is an issue, there are tricks to getting the
>> best reading possible. Usually medical assistants take it at the
>> worst possible time and in the worst possible fashion.

> All that makes a difference? That's interesting, but makes sense! Usually
> I'm about 117 over 72, but today I was 130 over 80 something. I *know* I
> have "white coat syndrome", but that reading was high for me. Thanks for
> the explanation, Goomba! You've come through for me once again. :~)
>
> kili

Something I learned a few years back is that if the numbers seem a bit
high for you, have them take the BP on the other arm. Also, if you have
large arms, and a small cuff is used, that will give a false high
number. Yes, there are different size cuffs for the machine.

Someone mentioned about some staff in a doctor's office as not being
licensed as nurses, how about blood labs? I know Labcorps and there's
another one in NJ that have no nurse staff, so if something goes wrong
and a needle breaks off or there are other complications, you are SOL.
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're like me, I just look at the "white coats" and up the blood
>>> pressure goes.
>>>

>> Was in the hospital over the Labor Day weekend and the week following
>> for stomach complaints. They did some tests and operated, taking out a
>> 16 inch long piece of small bowel that turned out to be cancerous.

> Yikes! Did they get it all?
>

>> Serene: good luck and get well soon. May your incarceration in the
>> hospital be a short one!

> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to normal
> today, but I tire easily.
>
> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we can
> have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>
> Serene

According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
thankfully. I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
things are going.
It's good you have someone to help get you through this. Without my wife
I don't know what I would have done. I just wished she could have bought
me in food from home instead of that awful hospital food.
--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jack" > wrote in message
They did some tests and operated, taking out a
>>> 16 inch long piece of small bowel that turned out to be cancerous.

>> Yikes! Did they get it all?
>>

>>> Serene: good luck and get well soon. May your incarceration in the
>>> hospital be a short one!

>> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to normal
>> today, but I tire easily.
>>
>> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
>> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we can
>> have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>>
>> Serene
>>

> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment, thankfully.
> I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how things are going.
> It's good you have someone to help get you through this. Without my wife I
> don't know what I would have done. I just wished she could have bought me
> in food from home instead of that awful hospital food.
> --
> Jack N2MPU
> Proud NRA Life Member

I've never heard in my life such a powerful statement, "Without my wife, I
don't know what I would have done."

Here's another powerful statement, "Without my husband, I don't know what I
would have done."

It is nothing short of miraculous the support they give.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jack" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> The truth of the matter is that the majority of staff at most doctors
>>> offices are NOT nurses at all but rather "Medical Assistants" who are
>>> unlicensed, often minimally educated personnel. The public and often
>>> the doctors themselves improperly call them "Nurse" but that is
>>> deceptive and in many states actually illegal. The title Nurse is a
>>> protected title in many states in the US.
>>> And blood pressure readings vary greatly... full bladder? Crossed
>>> legs? White coat syndrome? All can affect a reading in the same
>>> visit. If hypertension is an issue, there are tricks to getting the
>>> best reading possible. Usually medical assistants take it at the
>>> worst possible time and in the worst possible fashion.

>> All that makes a difference? That's interesting, but makes sense!
>> Usually I'm about 117 over 72, but today I was 130 over 80 something. I
>> *know* I have "white coat syndrome", but that reading was high for me.
>> Thanks for the explanation, Goomba! You've come through for me once
>> again. :~)
>>
>> kili

> Something I learned a few years back is that if the numbers seem a bit
> high for you, have them take the BP on the other arm. Also, if you have
> large arms, and a small cuff is used, that will give a false high number.
> Yes, there are different size cuffs for the machine.
>
> Someone mentioned about some staff in a doctor's office as not being
> licensed as nurses, how about blood labs? I know Labcorps and there's
> another one in NJ that have no nurse staff, so if something goes wrong and
> a needle breaks off or there are other complications, you are SOL.
> --
> Jack N2MPU
> Proud NRA Life Member

Something that always makes my blood pressure rise: The nurse puts the cuff
on. First of all I have to tell her I want it on my left arm, or my husband
does. This usually makes her either frown or raise her eyebrows; sometimes
she will be confrontive and say, "Excuse me?" in a way that leaves one to
believe she doesn't want to be bothered to do her job. (Yes, 'her,' I've not
yet had a 'he' take my blood pressure in an office.) It it obviously an
imposition because she will have to sometimes move the machinery.

But here comes the next phase of my anxiety when she takes the blood
pressure with my arm hanging down. Some -- just some -- will hold your arm
straight out supporting it -- I usually don't say that I've heard that the
blood pressure should be taken with the arm level to the heart -- maybe
afterwards I will educate ;-)) them as to my thoughts about it, sometimes DH
will mention it. All these thoughts about what is going to happen when the
nurse walks into the room means to nurses reading this that EYE am the one
that has issues. Correct! White 'nurses' coats! Hardly ever do I see a
friendly nurse taking the blood pressure. DH is always with me, and he's a
friendly sole, so what gives! I'm not there for my health ;-)))

Here's another bone of contention. I've read that a reading is generally
pretty useless unless it is taken a while (20 minutes) after the first
pressure is taken. I don't know whether this is do to physical reasons, or
if it gives you time to settle down. I've had nurses take a reading one
right after another. My doctor now will take a second reading when she does
the heart exam. It's always completely different. When I've 'paid' to
come in to have my blood pressure checked against my own cuff, they will
take two readings 20 minutes apart, so at least some do this.

Right now I have a cuff that I like that won't let you take your blood
pressure until your arm is in the right position. I don't care if this is a
hoax, myth, or whatever, I like the idea.

Dee, with issues,
Yes, I said it, you did not. I'm getting revved up for next week's 2 days
worth of poking. ;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> "Jack" > wrote in message
> They did some tests and operated, taking out a
>>>
>>> Yikes! Did they get it all?

>>> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to
>>> normal today, but I tire easily.
>>>
>>> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
>>> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we
>>> can have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>>>
>>> Serene
>>>

>> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
>> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
>> thankfully. I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
>> things are going. It's good you have someone to help get you through
>> this. Without my wife I don't know what I would have done. I just
>> wished she could have bought me in food from home instead of that awful
>> hospital food. --
>> Jack N2MPU
>> Proud NRA Life Member

> I've never heard in my life such a powerful statement, "Without my wife,
> I don't know what I would have done."
>
> Here's another powerful statement, "Without my husband, I don't know
> what I would have done."
>
> It is nothing short of miraculous the support they give.
>
> Dee Dee

Thanks to my ex-wife, I had to either learn to cook or starve.

'Cept her enchiladas! Only you can get tired of enchiladas pretty quick.

Imho,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

> Something that always makes my blood pressure rise:

I take my BP before I go to the doc. Then the nurses get high readings, then
before leaving I have my doc retake my BP and it's 10 points on both high and
low readings.

Doc should stop hiring HOOTERS RNs. That's the problem.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>
>> Something that always makes my blood pressure rise:

> I take my BP before I go to the doc. Then the nurses get high readings,
> then
> before leaving I have my doc retake my BP and it's 10 points on both high
> and
> low readings.
>
> Doc should stop hiring HOOTERS RNs. That's the problem.
>
> Andy

Hey, I wish they'd stop hiring screwed up faced fat ole women.
Guess they come in all shapes and sizes. ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Dee.Dee said...
>

>> "Jack" > wrote in message
>> They did some tests and operated, taking out a

>>> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
>>> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
>>> thankfully. I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
>>> things are going. It's good you have someone to help get you through
>>> this. Without my wife I don't know what I would have done. I just
>>> wished she could have bought me in food from home instead of that awful
>>> hospital food. --
>>> Jack N2MPU
>>> Proud NRA Life Member

>> I've never heard in my life such a powerful statement, "Without my wife,
>> I don't know what I would have done."
>>
>> Here's another powerful statement, "Without my husband, I don't know
>> what I would have done."
>>
>> It is nothing short of miraculous the support they give.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> Thanks to my ex-wife, I had to either learn to cook or starve.
>
> 'Cept her enchiladas! Only you can get tired of enchiladas pretty quick.
>
> Imho,
>
> Andy

Ex-wives and Ex-husbands can teach valuable life-lessons.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to normal
> today, but I tire easily.
>
> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we can
> have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>
> Serene

Glad you are home. Get some rest, give James a chance to be your nurse.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jack wrote:

> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
> thankfully. I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
> things are going.
> It's good you have someone to help get you through this. Without my wife
> I don't know what I would have done. I just wished she could have bought
> me in food from home instead of that awful hospital food.

Jack, I had similar surgery in 2002, and I am doing just fine. I was
left with a scar, but who cares. When I got out of the hospital, I spent
a week on a nude beach, scar and all. Sometimes, a beach is just what
you need. Toes in the sand, looking out into the ocean, listening to the
waves and the sea birds.

I hope you do as well as I did.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Serene wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to
>> normal today, but I tire easily.
>>
>> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
>> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we
>> can have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>>
>> Serene

> Glad you are home. Get some rest, give James a chance to be your
> nurse.

I second that!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jack wrote:

> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
> thankfully.

Oh, what a relief. I'm glad.

> I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
> things are going.
> It's good you have someone to help get you through this. Without my wife
> I don't know what I would have done. I just wished she could have bought
> me in food from home instead of that awful hospital food.

Yeah. Without my partners, this would have been REALLY hard.

I wasn't in the hospital long, so I never progressed past the
clear-liquids stage, and while I skipped the broth and
jello-like-substances, the juice was fine, as was the
Italian-ice-like substance. At home, a friend brought by some
lovely split-pea soup for us, and that was nice, too.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Serene wrote:
>
>> Thanks! I was just in overnight. I'm home and pretty much back to
>> normal today, but I tire easily.
>>
>> A friend is bringing soup for dinner. I picked up a baguette and some
>> salad fixings to go with, and James bought me lots of sorbet that we
>> can have for dessert. Life doesn't suck.
>>
>> Serene

> Glad you are home. Get some rest, give James a chance to be your nurse.

He's teasing me because I was really active yesterday, but hey,
between taking walks and cleaning house and fixing the salad for
dinner, I did have a four-hour nap, so that's more rest than I get
in a normal day. :-)

ObFood: Potatoes/onions/peppers for breakfast, I think.

Serene
--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:05:13 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>Dee, with issues,
>Yes, I said it, you did not. I'm getting revved up for next week's 2 days
>worth of poking. ;-))
>
>Dee Dee

best of luck with that, dee dee. if they get too obnoxious, poke 'em
right back.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>
>> According to the oncologist and a colleague he brought in on the case,
>> they got it all. No need for chemo or radiation at the moment,
>> thankfully. I go back in 3 months for a follow-up CT scan to see how
>> things are going.
>> It's good you have someone to help get you through this. Without my
>> wife I don't know what I would have done. I just wished she could have
>> bought me in food from home instead of that awful hospital food.

> Jack, I had similar surgery in 2002, and I am doing just fine. I was
> left with a scar, but who cares. When I got out of the hospital, I spent
> a week on a nude beach, scar and all. Sometimes, a beach is just what
> you need. Toes in the sand, looking out into the ocean, listening to the
> waves and the sea birds.
>
> I hope you do as well as I did.
>
> Becca

I'm trying, and taking each day as it comes. It's too cold here in NJ
for beach time (and there's no nude beaches here), so my therapy is
chasing steam trains. Not bothered about the scar, and neither is my
wife, bless her.

--
Jack N2MPU
Proud NRA Life Member
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jack wrote:
Not bothered about the scar, and neither is my
> wife, bless her.

Bless her) That is just lovely to hear

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jack wrote:

> I'm trying, and taking each day as it comes. It's too cold here in NJ
> for beach time (and there's no nude beaches here), so my therapy is
> chasing steam trains. Not bothered about the scar, and neither is my
> wife, bless her.

My partner and I are fascinated by my staples. There are (gross,
gross) pics of them at
http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...llery/0002fdbr -- if you
click on this link, don't whine to me that they're gross, because
here I am, warning you that they're gross (but I think they're kinda
cool). :-)

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Life goes on, even if two-headed and glowing faintly in the
dark." -- Ursula K. Le Guin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Dee.Dee said...
>
>> Something that always makes my blood pressure rise:

> I take my BP before I go to the doc. Then the nurses get high readings, then
> before leaving I have my doc retake my BP and it's 10 points on both high and
> low readings.
>
> Doc should stop hiring HOOTERS RNs. That's the problem.
>
> Andy

I doubt the doc is hiring "RNs" at all.
More often than not they're "Medical Assistants" which could mean
anything from someone they hired off the street to someone who's gone
through a training program. But they are NOT usually nurses. Doctors
don't want to pay a nurse's salary when they can get off cheaper with an
unlicensed assistant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> Reading about the routine-checkup standards described by Americans in
> this thread, all I can say is, thank god for the National Health Service
> in Scotland.
>
> Janet.

and where did you read "the routine-checkup standards" ? I missed that...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Bob is offline

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Janet Baraclough wrote:
>> Reading about the routine-checkup standards described by Americans in
>> this thread, all I can say is, thank god for the National Health Service
>> in Scotland. Janet.

> and where did you read "the routine-checkup standards" ? I missed that...?

Sheesh. Don't you know anything? It's in that pamphlet that they hand out
with all of those recipes from europe. You've been here long enough to
remember.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

> My partner and I are fascinated by my staples. There are (gross, gross)
> pics of them at
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...llery/0002fdbr -- if you
> click on this link, don't whine to me that they're gross, because here I
> am, warning you that they're gross (but I think they're kinda cool). :-)
>
> Serene

Feh. Not gross at all. The neat way they pinched up up the skin edges is
why you should have a nice flat scar after it heals. Did they suggest
putting any Abx ointment on it or anything?