limey

Default Cleaning a self-cleaning oven

Cleaning the oven using the manufacturer's directions is easy. However, the
chrome racks are somewhat of a PITA - if I were to leave them in the oven,
they would discolor. So, I take them out to clean them, then I make up a
strong solution of washing soda and soak the things. The sink isn't quite
big enough, so they have to be turned every once in a while. It's
time-consuming.

Question: If I were to put a dish of ammonia in the oven and let the fumes
do their work overnight, would this discolor those chrome racks or am I
still stuck with soaking them?

Dora
--

limey at toad dot net

PENMART01

"limey" > writes:

>Cleaning the oven using the manufacturer's directions is easy. However, the
>chrome racks are somewhat of a PITA - if I were to leave them in the oven,
>they would discolor. So, I take them out to clean them, then I make up a
>strong solution of washing soda and soak the things. The sink isn't quite
>big enough, so they have to be turned every once in a while. It's
>time-consuming.
>
>Question: If I were to put a dish of ammonia in the oven and let the fumes
>do their work overnight, would this discolor those chrome racks or am I
>still stuck with soaking them?
>
>Dora

You'd probably not wake up the next moring... DON'T DO THAT!!!!

Place your rack in a heavy plastic trash bag with a couple ounces household
ammonia... leave to soak at least 36 hours, outdoors... do NOT breathe fumes.
Then hand wash your rack in the kitchen sink... I'd be happy to oblige!

Hmm, I meant your oven rack.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

limey

"PENMART01" wrote in message

> "limey" writes:
>
> >Cleaning the oven using the manufacturer's directions is easy. However,

the
> >chrome racks are somewhat of a PITA - if I were to leave them in the

oven,
> >they would discolor. So, I take them out to clean them, then I make up a
> >strong solution of washing soda and soak the things. The sink isn't

quite
> >big enough, so they have to be turned every once in a while. It's
> >time-consuming.
> >
> >Question: If I were to put a dish of ammonia in the oven and let the

fumes
> >do their work overnight, would this discolor those chrome racks or am I
> >still stuck with soaking them?
> >
> >Dora

> You'd probably not wake up the next moring... DON'T DO THAT!!!!
>
> Place your rack in a heavy plastic trash bag with a couple ounces

household
> ammonia... leave to soak at least 36 hours, outdoors... do NOT breathe

fumes.
> Then hand wash your rack in the kitchen sink... I'd be happy to oblige!
>
> Hmm, I meant your oven rack.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````

I'm glad you told me - I had been told a dish of ammonia in the oven would
work. I certainly won't do that! Thanks, Sheldon. In other words, putting
the rack in the plastic bag with ammonia won't discolor it?
Hmmm - I know you meant my oven rack -
I think? ;-)

Dora

Vox Humana

"limey" > wrote in message

> Cleaning the oven using the manufacturer's directions is easy. However,

the
> chrome racks are somewhat of a PITA - if I were to leave them in the

oven,
> they would discolor. So, I take them out to clean them, then I make up a
> strong solution of washing soda and soak the things. The sink isn't quite
> big enough, so they have to be turned every once in a while. It's
> time-consuming.
>
> Question: If I were to put a dish of ammonia in the oven and let the

fumes
> do their work overnight, would this discolor those chrome racks or am I
> still stuck with soaking them?
>
> Dora

I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do turn a
dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them. You can use oven
cleaner on them or ammonia. I don't see why putting a dish of ammonia in
the oven would hurt anything, but I don't find that ammonia is as effective
as oven cleaner.

PENMART01

"Vox Humana" > writes:

>I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do turn a
>dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them.

A great way to remove the temper from the steel... next you roast the holiday
turkey/lasagna you'll remember I told ya so while you're swabbing the mess from
the collapsed oven rack... and chances are better than 50/50 the rack will
collapse while you're maneuvering stuff, so you'll remember me forever, every
time you look in the mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's owner's
manual I've ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean
cycle.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Hahabogus

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Yes, there usually is a warning, but those warnings usually describe
> appearance changes to the plating on the metal. I don't recall ever
> reading one that addressed damage to the temper or strength of the
> metal.

My current oven (purchased in the early 80's) has had the oven racks left
in during the cleaning cyle for almost 2 decades. And aside for dis-
colouring and a slight warping, nothing else has happened. Large turkeys,
hams and lasagnas have been cooked with no problems. But it is difficult to
change the oven rack to different positions due to the slight warping.
Wayne Boatwright

Hahabogus > wrote in
. 1:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> Yes, there usually is a warning, but those warnings usually describe
>> appearance changes to the plating on the metal. I don't recall ever
>> reading one that addressed damage to the temper or strength of the
>> metal.
>>

> My current oven (purchased in the early 80's) has had the oven racks
> left in during the cleaning cyle for almost 2 decades. And aside for
> dis- colouring and a slight warping, nothing else has happened. Large
> turkeys, hams and lasagnas have been cooked with no problems. But it
> is difficult to change the oven rack to different positions due to the
> slight warping.

After a cleaning cycle, lightly coating the outside wires of the racks with
a small amount of cooking oil or shortening will make sliding the racks
into the oven wall grooves much smoother and easier.
PENMART01

:

>> "Vox Humana" > writes:
>>
>>>I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do
>>>turn a dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them.

>> A great way to remove the temper from the steel... next you roast the
>> holiday turkey/lasagna you'll remember I told ya so while you're
>> swabbing the mess from the collapsed oven rack... and chances are
>> better than 50/50 the rack will collapse while you're maneuvering
>> stuff, so you'll remember me forever, every time you look in the
>> mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's owner's manual I've
>> ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean cycle.

>The self-cleaning cycle on my current oven caused my oven racks to warp
>slightly as well as dis-colour. This makes them dificult to slide in and
>out, or reposition. Hopefully on the new oven (I expect shortly) I'll
>remember this and remove the racks before cleaning.

Sure, the clean cycle reaches 900 degrees F., and stays there for a few
hours... hotter than a gas grill grate ever sees... more than sufficient to
totally draw the temper from that thin steel wire, making those racks dead
soft.

Most folks get away with running the oven racks through the clean cycle, but
then most folks don't use their oven for anything heavier than an occasional
box cake. Some of the newer high end ovens include commercial style racks
(made with much thicker gauge wire), some are even porcelainized, and the
manufacturer says they can be safely run through the clean cycle, but still I'd
not.... 900 derees F. is just too darned hot for ordinary cold rolled steel
wire. But then again for me it wouldn't matter, in the seven years I've had my
present stove (GE Profile gas) I've never used the clean cycle, and I use the
oven often, and for all sorts of cooking... I've seen other folk's ovens, why
do people cook so slovenly, but then I look at everything else about their
house. Folks who live like swine, I rarely accept a 2nd dinner invite. I
actually have a friend, a very long time friend ( I never eat there), who when
he invites me over for drinks I bring my own glass... and he and his wife know
why, but like they say, they ain't gonna change and neither am I.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

> "Vox Humana" > writes:
>

>>I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do turn a
>>dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them.

> A great way to remove the temper from the steel... next you roast the holiday
> turkey/lasagna you'll remember I told ya so while you're swabbing the mess from
> the collapsed oven rack... and chances are better than 50/50 the rack will
> collapse while you're maneuvering stuff, so you'll remember me forever, every
> time you look in the mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's owner's
> manual I've ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean
> cycle.

What makes you think the steel is tempered?

I think the warning is just for ruining the *appearance* of the racks, or
maybe having them warp. (But I don't think a wire rack would warp.)

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:

> [snip]
> I actually have a friend, [snip]

That's rather hard to believe...

Best regards,
Bob

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > writes:
>
> >I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do turn a
> >dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them.

> A great way to remove the temper from the steel... next you roast the

holiday
> turkey/lasagna you'll remember I told ya so while you're swabbing the mess

from
> the collapsed oven rack... and chances are better than 50/50 the rack will
> collapse while you're maneuvering stuff, so you'll remember me forever,

every
> time you look in the mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's

owner's
> manual I've ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean
> cycle.

We've been down this road before. The last time I told you that the
manufacturer of my oven (JennAir) said that it was OK to leave the racks in
during the cleaning cycle. My mother recently got a KitchenAid oven and the
directions said the same thing - taking the racks out was optional but they
would discolor. You can save any juvenile come-backs as I'm not impressed.
If you can cite some information to back-up your position, I would consider
reading it.

Vox Humana

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
. 1...
> (PENMART01) wrote in
> :
>
> > "Vox Humana" > writes:
> >
> >>I leave the racks in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. They do
> >>turn a dull gray color but I'm the only one who sees them.

> > A great way to remove the temper from the steel... next you roast the
> > holiday turkey/lasagna you'll remember I told ya so while you're
> > swabbing the mess from the collapsed oven rack... and chances are
> > better than 50/50 the rack will collapse while you're maneuvering
> > stuff, so you'll remember me forever, every time you look in the
> > mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's owner's manual I've
> > ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean cycle.
> >

> > ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> > ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> > Sheldon
> > ````````````
> > "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> >

> The self-cleaning cycle on my current oven caused my oven racks to warp
> slightly as well as dis-colour. This makes them dificult to slide in and
> out, or reposition. Hopefully on the new oven (I expect shortly) I'll
> remember this and remove the racks before cleaning.

The manual that came with my oven said to rub the runners with some
vegetable oil if you leave them in during the cleaning cycle. The oil helps
lubricate the rack and makes it slide better. It works for me.

Vox Humana

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> > I actually have a friend, [snip]

> That's rather hard to believe...

Please, warn us when you plan to do this. I had to clean the coffee off my
monitor!!!

TonyP

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:00:06 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>> I actually have a friend, [snip]

> That's rather hard to believe...
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

OMG, LOL.

Tony
Terry Carmen

>> collapse while you're maneuvering stuff, so you'll remember me forever,
>every
>> time you look in the mirror at all your horrid scarring. Every stove's

>owner's
>> manual I've ever seen WARNS against subjecting the wire racks to the clean
>> cycle.

>We've been down this road before. The last time I told you that the
>manufacturer of my oven (JennAir) said that it was OK to leave the racks in
>during the cleaning cycle. My mother recently got a KitchenAid oven and the
>directions said the same thing - taking the racks out was optional but they
>would discolor. You can save any juvenile come-backs as I'm not impressed.
>If you can cite some information to back-up your position, I would consider
>reading it.

From the early to late 80's I did warranty service for most major
brands of appliances and replaced broken windows, bent hinges, knobs,
and all the functional components, including insulation.

I have never changed a rack for other than cosmetic reasons, or being
a little warped.

If you self clean them, they turn gray and warp a little, but that's a
small price to pay for not having to clean them.

In fact, if you don't mind a little chipped/crazed porcelain or blued
chrome, you can self -clean the burner bowls from the cooktop also.

Terry

sf

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:42:49 GMT, Terry Carmen
> wrote:

> From the early to late 80's I did warranty service for most major
> brands of appliances and replaced broken windows, bent hinges, knobs,
> and all the functional components, including insulation.
>
> I have never changed a rack for other than cosmetic reasons, or being
> a little warped.

I cleaned my oven racks along with the oven with my old
one... which came with the house. No problem - I don't even
remember a wrarped rack. In the past two years since we've
replaced it, my husband goes practically hyperventilates if
I consider leaving the racks in.

LOL! He's like a raccoon because he likes shiny things.

> If you self clean them, they turn gray and warp a little, but that's a
> small price to pay for not having to clean them.

I agree completely.... and it has absolutelt NOTHING to do
with the resale value of your home.

> In fact, if you don't mind a little chipped/crazed porcelain or blued
> chrome, you can self -clean the burner bowls from the cooktop also.

Mine are chrome or at least chrome-like (it's an electric
stovetop). I should replace them because they are wearing
thin... more than twentyfive years of good use does that to
appliance parts.

Used cleaning product in self-cleaning oven - now what? Peter Lampione General Cooking 26 25-01-2007 03:41 PM
Cleaning oven glass...? Kenneth Cooking Equipment 10 25-10-2005 09:29 PM
Oven cleaning secrets? Rusty Baking 1 07-03-2005 11:33 PM
Oven cleaning secrets? Dusty Baking 0 07-03-2005 10:43 PM
Question re self-cleaning oven Fred & Billie General Cooking 5 21-10-2003 12:38 AM