Kenneth

Default Cleaning oven glass...?

Howdy,

I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
front that is perhaps 8" x 30".

Over time, it yellows, and I clean it.

Currently, I use paper towels with baking soda. The job
takes about thirty minutes, and a ton of towels.

Is there a better way...?

Sincere thanks,
--
Kenneth

Sheldon

Kenneth wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
> front.

I clean my glass oven door with aerosol glass cleaner and a single edge
razor... scrape with the razor while the aerosol cleaner is still
foaming... an auto glass installer taught me that trick, it's how they
remove damaged tinted mylar film, works very well for cleaning the
burned on crud from oven glass too.

Sheldon

Vox Humana

"Kenneth" > wrote in message

> Howdy,
>
> I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
> front that is perhaps 8" x 30".
>
> Over time, it yellows, and I clean it.
>
> Currently, I use paper towels with baking soda. The job
> takes about thirty minutes, and a ton of towels.
>
> Is there a better way...?
>
> Sincere thanks,
> --

I use Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner (yellow can) on the glass in my oven
door. Spray it on, let it set for a couple hours or over night, and wipe
clean. You man need to put some newspaper under the door to catch drips.
Keep the spray away from painted or aluminum surfaces. Some people put a
small bowl of ammonia in the oven and let it work over night with the door
shut.

cathy

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:16:49 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
>front that is perhaps 8" x 30".
>
>Over time, it yellows, and I clean it.
>
>Currently, I use paper towels with baking soda. The job
>takes about thirty minutes, and a ton of towels.
>
>Is there a better way...?
>
>Sincere thanks,

Try a store that sells wood-burning stoves, they should have a glass
cleaner made for getting the burnt ash residue off the glass of the
stove door. The stuff we have is a brand called "Speedy White" and
it's called "Hearth and Stove Cleaner". We just cleaned almost three
years of accumulated crud off the stove door and it's as clear as the
day we got it. And this is a stove that's in daily use from October
thru May, and even occasionally in the summer.

Good luck!
Cathy
chefjeff

Hi there,

I would like to tell you of a little trick I learned, that has worked
every time for the same situation as yours.
I was told to take some paper towels, and well saturate them with 409
spray.
Place the saturated towels over the oven glass (in a cold oven).
Simply let the saturated towels remain affixed to the glass overnight.
The next day, remove the towels (and all of the baked on crud), and
sponge off the area.

I hope this tip works for you.

Jeff

Viviane

What is 409 spray? I've never seen it in Australia - maybe we call it
something else here.

"chefjeff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to tell you of a little trick I learned, that has worked
> every time for the same situation as yours.
> I was told to take some paper towels, and well saturate them with 409
> spray.
> Place the saturated towels over the oven glass (in a cold oven).
> Simply let the saturated towels remain affixed to the glass overnight.
> The next day, remove the towels (and all of the baked on crud), and
> sponge off the area.
>
> I hope this tip works for you.
>
> Jeff

Kenneth

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:18:36 GMT, cathy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:16:49 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:
>

>>Howdy,
>>
>>I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
>>front that is perhaps 8" x 30".
>>
>>Over time, it yellows, and I clean it.
>>
>>Currently, I use paper towels with baking soda. The job
>>takes about thirty minutes, and a ton of towels.
>>
>>Is there a better way...?
>>
>>Sincere thanks,

>Try a store that sells wood-burning stoves, they should have a glass
>cleaner made for getting the burnt ash residue off the glass of the
>stove door. The stuff we have is a brand called "Speedy White" and
>it's called "Hearth and Stove Cleaner". We just cleaned almost three
>years of accumulated crud off the stove door and it's as clear as the
>day we got it. And this is a stove that's in daily use from October
>thru May, and even occasionally in the summer.
>
>Good luck!
>Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I thank you for the suggestion...

I do wonder though if, over time, such a cleaner might not
cloud the glass. I guess I could give it a try in one small
area to see.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On 23 Oct 2005 21:43:26 -0700, "chefjeff"
> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I would like to tell you of a little trick I learned, that has worked
>every time for the same situation as yours.
>I was told to take some paper towels, and well saturate them with 409
>spray.
>Place the saturated towels over the oven glass (in a cold oven).
>Simply let the saturated towels remain affixed to the glass overnight.
>The next day, remove the towels (and all of the baked on crud), and
>sponge off the area.
>
>I hope this tip works for you.
>
>Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I neglected to mention that the glass is vertical when the
door is closed and opens upwards leaving the glass in a
horizontal position. So, there would be no way to leave
towels on the glass unless I disassembled the whole thing
each time I wanted to clean.

Thanks for your suggestion though,
--
Kenneth

cathy

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:04:16 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:18:36 GMT, cathy
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 16:16:49 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:
>>

>>>Howdy,
>>>
>>>I have a commercial baking oven. It has a glass panel in the
>>>front that is perhaps 8" x 30".
>>>
>>>Over time, it yellows, and I clean it.
>>>
>>>Currently, I use paper towels with baking soda. The job
>>>takes about thirty minutes, and a ton of towels.
>>>
>>>Is there a better way...?
>>>
>>>Sincere thanks,

>>Try a store that sells wood-burning stoves, they should have a glass
>>cleaner made for getting the burnt ash residue off the glass of the
>>stove door. The stuff we have is a brand called "Speedy White" and
>>it's called "Hearth and Stove Cleaner". We just cleaned almost three
>>years of accumulated crud off the stove door and it's as clear as the
>>day we got it. And this is a stove that's in daily use from October
>>thru May, and even occasionally in the summer.
>>
>>Good luck!
>>Cathy

>Hi Cathy,
>
>I thank you for the suggestion...
>
>I do wonder though if, over time, such a cleaner might not
>cloud the glass. I guess I could give it a try in one small
>area to see.

Nope, it doesn't cloud the glass. Part of the point with a wood
burning stove is to be decorative, so that you can see the fire
burning through the glass door. A cleaner that clouded the glass, even
after repeated use, would never be successful.

Cathy
sf

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:06:41 -0400, Kenneth wrote:

> On 23 Oct 2005 21:43:26 -0700, "chefjeff"
> > wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I would like to tell you of a little trick I learned, that has worked
> >every time for the same situation as yours.
> >I was told to take some paper towels, and well saturate them with 409
> >spray.
> >Place the saturated towels over the oven glass (in a cold oven).
> >Simply let the saturated towels remain affixed to the glass overnight.
> >The next day, remove the towels (and all of the baked on crud), and
> >sponge off the area.
> >
> >I hope this tip works for you.
> >
> >Jeff

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I neglected to mention that the glass is vertical when the
> door is closed and opens upwards leaving the glass in a
> horizontal position. So, there would be no way to leave
> towels on the glass unless I disassembled the whole thing
> each time I wanted to clean.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion though,

Ahhh. The toaster oven dilemma! I think that ammonia trick could
work for you... but put it *outside* (in a garbage bag) for 24 hours.

Arthur Shapiro

In article >, Kenneth > wrote:

>I neglected to mention that the glass is vertical when the
>door is closed and opens upwards leaving the glass in a
>horizontal position. So, there would be no way to leave
>towels on the glass unless I disassembled the whole thing
>each time I wanted to clean.

Well, I have no comments on the validity of the proposed solution, but:

couldn't you just stand the toaster oven on end overnight so that the glass
area in question was horizontal???

Art