Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Q. How to make Stroganoff interesting ???

Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
it a dish to rave about ?

Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and
leave to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the
mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then
serve over rice.

It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.

Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

Steve

PS Paprika I used was bought in Spain and tin was marked "piquante" and
it certainly was !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make it
> a dish to rave about ?
>
> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
> sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and leave
> to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the
> mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then
> serve over rice.
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the recipe
> that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome
>
> Steve
>
> PS Paprika I used was bought in Spain and tin was marked "piquante" and it
> certainly was !

Make beef stew instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but my
> reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make it a dish
> to rave about ?
>
> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add sliced
> mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and leave to one
> side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the mushroom/onion mix
> and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then serve over rice.
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the recipe
> that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

Brown the strips first in very hot oil.
Remove them and keep them warm.
Reduce heat, add butter.
Now fry the shallots until they look glassy.
Add mushrooms (sliced), roast while stirring.
Throw in a little flour (a teaspoon) and stir well.
Douse with white wine.
Add a mix of bouillon, sour cream and a little mustard
(mixed).
Bring to boil, remove from heat, add meat.
Put lid on pan and let it simmer over low heat for a little.

If you need a more exact recipe, let me know.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Also:

Make sure paprika is fresh / flavorful

Add some of the paprika to the beef before browning

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for the suggestion but am not really into stews/casseroles

Steve

> Make beef stew instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" schrieb
> Also:
>
> Make sure paprika is fresh / flavorful
>
> Add some of the paprika to the beef before browning

Forgot to mention : There's no paprika in the recipe over here.
If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
Caramelized paprika develops a bitter taste.
Put it in with the flour shortly before dousing with white wine.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So you use stock (bouillon) and mustard to replace the paprika ? Will
there be enough "kick" ?

Michael Kuettner wrote:

> Brown the strips first in very hot oil.
> Remove them and keep them warm.
> Reduce heat, add butter.
> Now fry the shallots until they look glassy.
> Add mushrooms (sliced), roast while stirring.
> Throw in a little flour (a teaspoon) and stir well.
> Douse with white wine.
> Add a mix of bouillon, sour cream and a little mustard
> (mixed).
> Bring to boil, remove from heat, add meat.
> Put lid on pan and let it simmer over low heat for a little.
>
> If you need a more exact recipe, let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Kuettner > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" schrieb

>> Make sure paprika is fresh / flavorful

>> Add some of the paprika to the beef before browning

>Forgot to mention : There's no paprika in the recipe over here.
>If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
>Caramelized paprika develops a bitter taste.

Interesting; any form of paprika or dried pepper, I like to toast or
fry a bit. I like the result (or if not, I look for a different
quality ingredient).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message

> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make it
> a dish to rave about ?

When my dad used to make stroganoff, he used to serve it over noodles.
Perhaps you could do that, or perhaps serve it over a big slice of your
favorite kind of bread. You could also try using a different type of meat.

I can't say that any of these things will make it "exciting", or give it a
"je ne sais quoi" (and yes, I do know what that term means), but it will be
different from what you usually do, and you just might find an interesting
combination that you like.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian

It's a dish I try once a year and always end up disappointed.

Not sure that noodles/bread will change things but thanks for the suggestion

Steve

Brian Christiansen wrote:

> I can't say that any of these things will make it "exciting", or give it a
> "je ne sais quoi" (and yes, I do know what that term means), but it will be
> different from what you usually do, and you just might find an interesting
> combination that you like.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't have to add paprika but I thought it was a fundamental
ingredient of a stroganoff ? If you take it out, aren't you just left
with beef in a mushroom sauce ? That served with rice, seems
a fairly bland dish so needs something to lift it.

Steve

Michael Kuettner wrote:
..
> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:23:17 +0200:

SY> Steve

SY> Michael Kuettner wrote:
SY> .
??>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.

I think Hungarian paprika is *very* necessary and I would use
that labelled "hot". The brand I use is "Pride of Szeged" (or
something like that, I'm not writing this in the kitchen!)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y schrieb

> So you use stock (bouillon) and mustard to replace the paprika ? Will there be
> enough "kick" ?

a) Could you define what you mean by "kick" ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

Put in a new video? :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist that one considering the subject line set it up so
nicely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message

> Not sure that noodles/bread will change things but thanks for the
> suggestion

I don't know what kind of rice you use, but perhaps changing what kind of
rice you use might just "spice things up a little." For example, if you use
white rice, you might try using brown rice or wild rice. My whole point is,
instead of changing the recipe for the stroganoff itself, try putting it
over something that you don't usually use.

Brian Christiansen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton schrieb
> Steve wrote
> SY> Michael Kuettner wrote:
> SY> .
> ??>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
>
> I think Hungarian paprika is *very* necessary and I would use that labelled
> "hot". The brand I use is "Pride of Szeged" (or something like that, I'm not
> writing this in the kitchen!)

If you use paprika, it isn't Stroganoff (the original recipe).

That would be "Steak - goulash", I guess.
Leave off the mustard, douse with Cognac or Whisky, etc.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lift" , "Distinctive Flavour" , "Depth" , Something to make the palate
say "Umm that's nice"

There was nothing wrong with my stroganoff tonight, I just found it
"less than interesting"

Steve

Michael Kuettner wrote:

> a) Could you define what you mean by "kick" ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Perhaps someone will translate for me ..........

KW wrote:
> Put in a new video? :-)
>

> Sorry, couldn't resist that one considering the subject line set it up so
> nicely!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Also:
>
> Make sure paprika is fresh / flavorful
>
> Add some of the paprika to the beef before browning

And make sure it's Hungarian paprika!

Count Stroganoff is spinning in his grave....

TammyM, channelling Bubba :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Lift" , "Distinctive Flavour" , "Depth" , Something to make the palate say
> "Umm that's nice"
>
> There was nothing wrong with my stroganoff tonight, I just found it "less than
> interesting"

Well, try pasta (tagliatelle, eg) instead of rice.
And there's a little trick for B. Stroganoff :

Sprinkle finely chopped pickled dill gerkins over the dish
before serving.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe B.S. isn't the right dish
for you and you might consider steak goulash ?

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y wrote:
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
> it a dish to rave about ?

I make mine this way:

1 lb beef
1 medium onion, chopped finely
1 lb white button mushrooms or crimini, sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup water

2 TB flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry italian dressing
1 TB crushed pepper (preferably white, but black will do)

3 TB oil
4 TB butter

Carmelize the onion in a skillet with 1 TB oil. Transfer to the stewing
pot. Add the mushrooms to the skillet with 2 TB butter. Saute on high
until browned in places, transfer to stewing pot. Place strips of beef
in a plastic bag with flour, salt, dry italian dressing and crushed
pepper, lots of pepper. Shake the meat pieces until coated. Transfer to
skillet with 2 TB oil and 2 TB butter, brown all around. Transfer to
stewing pot. Add white wine to the skillet, scrape, add the water and
the sour cream, combine, and transfer to stewing pot.

After one hour of stewing adjust the flavor by adding more salt and
fresh pepper.

I don't use the paprika.

Method notes: carmelizing the onion, browning the meat, sauteing the
mushrooms until browned all add flavor to the Stroganoff. Barely
softened onion and mushrooms will get lost in the stew. Be generous with
the pepper - the Stroganoff should never be bland and the addition of
sour cream calls for a lot of pepper. Don't use pre-ground pepper, only
freshly crushed peppercorns.

Serving on noodles or with potatoe dauphine is my favorite way. Sliced
cucumber salad with sour cream dressing is a classic accompaniment to
this dish in Eastern Europe.

Magdalena Bassett
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:59:09 -0700:

T> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message
??>> Also:
??>>
??>> Make sure paprika is fresh / flavorful
??>>
??>> Add some of the paprika to the beef before browning

T> And make sure it's Hungarian paprika!

T> Count Stroganoff is spinning in his grave..
T> ..
I haven't bothered to investigate but was it the Count or his
cook who invented it? The rather different Beef Paprika uses a
lot of Paprika and is also very good served with noodles and,
believe it or not from me, cold cooked broccoli with French
dressing.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote in message
[snip]

Hey! No lurking for you!

Get back here and start posting again!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> James Silverton schrieb
>> Steve wrote
>> SY> Michael Kuettner wrote:
>> SY> .
>> ??>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
>>
>> I think Hungarian paprika is *very* necessary and I would use that
>> labelled "hot". The brand I use is "Pride of Szeged" (or something like
>> that, I'm not writing this in the kitchen!)
>>

> If you use paprika, it isn't Stroganoff (the original recipe).
>
> That would be "Steak - goulash", I guess.
> Leave off the mustard, douse with Cognac or Whisky, etc.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

Goulash? Wasn't a stroganoff beef?
I use to do it with mustard and not paprika. Paprika is good for goulash

--
Kisses
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Michael Kuettner" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> James Silverton schrieb
>>> Steve wrote
>>> ??>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.
>>>
>>> I think Hungarian paprika is *very* necessary and I would use that labelled
>>> "hot". The brand I use is "Pride of Szeged" (or something like that, I'm not
>>> writing this in the kitchen!)
>>>

>> If you use paprika, it isn't Stroganoff (the original recipe).
>>
>> That would be "Steak - goulash", I guess.
>> Leave off the mustard, douse with Cognac or Whisky, etc.
>>

> Goulash? Wasn't a stroganoff beef?

The classical "Wiener Saftgulasch" uses beef.
There are also pork, boar, veal, mushroom and chicken gulasch.
Stroganoff over here is made with steak meat.

> I use to do it with mustard and not paprika.

As a gentleman, I won't comment on that ;-P

> Paprika is good for goulash

Exactly.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 10:22 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
> it a dish to rave about ?
>
> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
> sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and
> leave to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the
> mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then
> serve over rice.
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
> recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome
>
> Steve
>
> PS Paprika I used was bought in Spain and tin was marked "piquante" and
> it certainly was !

My recipe is similar - I use white wine rather than lemon juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 17, 10:22 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
> it a dish to rave about ? [snip]
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
> recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

I make it now and then, usually as a respite from having something
spicy several days in a row. My few changes from what you did are
using sour cream instead of cream, and stirring in a bit of Dijon
mustard and a bit of tomato paste. I like the effects of both of
those but doubt they'd meet your 'rave' goal. I serve it with noodles
rather than rice, too, but that's no big deal either.

I think stroganoff gets raves for a smooth tabletop/tableside
preparation, more for the good show than for a really snappy result.
Imagine a plush restaurant setting, white linen, fine china, and a
well turned out waiter preparing the dish for a romantic couple, using
a shiny pan and large silver fork and spoon with flair...... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y > wrote:

> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
> recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.

Beef Stroganoff is a fairly well defined recipe. If you do not like it,
why not try something else on the same lines, for example Zürcher
Geschnetzeltes (which, unlike Beef Stroganoff, does include mushrooms,
paprika, and lemon juice, and is made with veal rather than beef), or
something similar?

Meanwhile, here is what appears to be the earliest recorded recipe for
beef named after Count Stroganoff. It first appeared in the first,
1861, edition of E.I. Molokhovets' famous cookbook, _A Gift to Young
Housewives_. Here it is, translated almost literally from the reprint
of the original. Notice that the ingredient list lacks stock and onions
called for in the instructions. The butter needed for frying beef is
lacking, too. Also, the recipe obviously assumes an old-style wood
stove.

Beef à la Stroganov with mustard
Govjadina po-stroganovski s gorchitsej

Ingredients:
3 lbs tender beef
salt
10-15 "English pepper(corns)" (allspice berries)
1/4 pound butter
1 (table)spoon flour
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon Sarepta mustard (*)
1 (table)spoon tomato (paste)

Two hours before start of cooking, take a tender piece of beef, cut it,
raw, into small squares, sprinkle with salt and some pepper (allspice).
Before dinner, take 1/16 lb butter and 1 (table)spoon flour, mix, fry
lightly, dilute with 2 glasses stock, cook through, add 1 teaspoon of
prepared Sarepta mustard, a little pepper, mix, cook through, strain.
Before serving, add 2 tablespoons of the freshest sour cream and a spoon
of the already fried tomato(paste). Over high heat, fry the beef with
butter and onions, place it in the sauce, cover tightly, put for 1/4
hour at the edge of the stove, cook through, serve.

(*) Hot mustard made with brown mustard seeds (Brassica juncea Czern.)
[VS]

Some modern variants include diced sour pickles, which would indeed
perhaps add that "je ne sais quoi" you desire. Add them towards the end
of cooking and cook the dish through before serving.

As to the side dish, Beef Stroganoff is served with fried potatoes;
Zürcher Geschnetzeltes is served with Rösti.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:22:28 +0200, Steve Y >
wrote:

>Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

Caramelize your onions very well and add a good dose of Worcestershire
sauce.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Y" > wrote in message
>I don't have to add paprika but I thought it was a fundamental ingredient
>of a stroganoff ? If you take it out, aren't you just left with beef in a
>mushroom sauce ? That served with rice, seems
> a fairly bland dish so needs something to lift it.
>
> Steve
>

> Michael Kuettner wrote:
> .
>> If you have to add paprika, don't put it on the beef.

I don't think paprika is necessarily part of the dish. I use fresh dill,
sometimes along with prov. herbs. I put in a bit of tomato paste, not for
its flavor so much as for its richness. I never cook the meet prior to the
last moment of cooking. I use carefully trimmed strips[about 1/4 by 1/4"] of
filet mignon added to the dish just before serving to bring the temp. up to
medium rare. I stir in the sour cream at the last minute, and serve the
stroganov over patty shells. It don't think this dish belongs on noodles.
It's a great dish, but also a frustrating one. I think what it really needs
are the strips of raw filet mignon added at the last minute. It's
frustrating that there really isn't a decent beef broth available in this
country to give the dish what it needs, unless you make your own. That would
help, as it would with many other beef dishes.

Cheers,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
>it a dish to rave about ?
>
>Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
>sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and
>leave to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the
>mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then
>serve over rice.
>
>It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
>recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>
>Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome
>
>Steve
>
>PS Paprika I used was bought in Spain and tin was marked "piquante" and
>it certainly was !

Not that I make stroganoff very often... but a few drops of L&P
Worcestershire sauce is usually the answer to "boring" beef.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 17 Oct 2007 10:49:30a, Michael Kuettner meant to say...

> "Steve Y" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper
>> but my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to
>> make it a dish to rave about ?
>>
>> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
>> sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and
>> leave to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and
>> the mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and
>> then serve over rice.
>>
>> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
>> recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome
>>

> Brown the strips first in very hot oil.
> Remove them and keep them warm.
> Reduce heat, add butter.
> Now fry the shallots until they look glassy.
> Add mushrooms (sliced), roast while stirring.
> Throw in a little flour (a teaspoon) and stir well.
> Douse with white wine.
> Add a mix of bouillon, sour cream and a little mustard
> (mixed).
> Bring to boil, remove from heat, add meat.
> Put lid on pan and let it simmer over low heat for a little.
>
> If you need a more exact recipe, let me know.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Kuettner

A splash of sherry or brandy wouldn't hurt a bit.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:22:28 +0200, Steve Y >
> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

> Caramelize your onions very well and add a good dose of Worcestershire
> sauce.
>
> Tara

This sounds like the best suggestion yet, especially the onions. Simplicity
is beautiful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:22:28 +0200, Steve Y >
> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

> Caramelize your onions very well and add a good dose of Worcestershire
> sauce.
>
> Tara

Yes, I agree with you.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Pandora" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> I use to do it with mustard and not paprika.

> As a gentleman, I won't comment on that ;-P

Don't you like mustard ? ;-P

--
Kisses
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 11:22 am, Steve Y > wrote:
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
> it a dish to rave about ?
>
> Recipe I followed was to soften shallots/onions in olive oil, then add
> sliced mushrooms, leave to soften and then add some lemon juice and
> leave to one side. Brown strips of beef in pan, add some paprika and the
> mushroom/onion mix and then some cream. Leave to warm though and then
> serve over rice.
>
> It was perfectly edible but boring. I'm not sure whether it is the
> recipe that is missing something or whether it needs a side dish.

Truthfully, that sounds lovely. One of the best things I've seen here
in a while. I would add some black pepper and salt to my plate, but
why does a nice, wholesome dish like you described have to be
"interesting"??

> Any suggestions as to how to add that "je ne sais quoi" welcome

Use a variety of mushrooms. Maybe serve it over brown rice, or maybe
homemade egg noodles.

Don't spoil a great thing.

> Steve

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What cut of beef should be used for stroganoff?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If a dish isn't "interesting", why would you want to bother spend time
making it ? If all you want is fuel then you make whatever your
favourite snack is, in my case cheese sarnies, and then carry on what
you were doing. When I cook I like to feel the time/effort spent has
been worth it because the finished product is interesting to eat.

Tonight's Parisian pork was far more interesting, think I am going back
for 2nds

Steve

Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> why does a nice, wholesome dish like you described have to be
> "interesting"??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 17, 1:22 pm, Steve Y > wrote:
> Just made a batch of perfectly acceptable beef stroganoff for supper but
> my reaction was as usual, edible but boring. What does it take to make
> it a dish to rave about ?

Make it into lasagne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Steve Y" > wrote in message
> Perhaps someone will translate for me ..........

Good grief.....do you not remember this phrase from your high school days ?
:-)

OK...say it with me now.....slooowly

Stro......gan......off

repeat as necessary until recognition sets in!