Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Default Interesting way to make a chart out of a recipe

Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how times
overlap etc.

Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
experience to read between the lines/boxes.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes

I think it is very clever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how times
> overlap etc.
>
> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>
> I think it is very clever.

That is a very nice way. Thanks
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how times
> overlap etc.
>
> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes

> I think it is very clever.

I'm not an engineer, I don't even really think like one but I love that chart!
I was just thinking the other day that I wish recipes were more visually
broken down.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jke" > wrote:

> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how times
> overlap etc.
>
> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>
> I think it is very clever.

I've been there before and find that format really hard to follow.
Dunno why,
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jke" > wrote:
>
> > Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that
> > summarizes a recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and
> > their method and how times overlap etc.
> >
> > Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have
> > enough experience to read between the lines/boxes.
> >
> > Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
> >
> > http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...itle=Cheesecak
> > e+Cupcakes
> >
> > I think it is very clever.

> I've been there before and find that format really hard to follow.
> Dunno why,

It's ok, but even though I are an injuneer, it doesn't really add much
for me. More complicated recipes would probably less readable in that
format I'd guess, but I'd have to see to be sure.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message
> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how
> times overlap etc.
>
> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>
> I think it is very clever.

It pastes into excel too! I really like the format, I sometimes make Barbs
rhubarb custard cake in muffin tins, but hadn't thought of cheese cake.

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:

> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>
> I think it is very clever.

Not only clever, I think it's very clear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > wrote in message
> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how
> times overlap etc.
>
> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>
> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>
> I think it is very clever.

I really like the way the recipe is layed out. I think for recipes I use
frequently this would be a good way to keep the recipe to one side of the
card.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

>> I think it is very clever.

> I've been there before and find that format really hard to follow.
> Dunno why,
> --

Those things are very personal, arent'they. My brain likes maths (up to a
degree) and charts. But there are many people whose brains are more math
oriented than mine. I figure if you're more languiage oreindted, for
instance, text is more pleasant.

I don't think the charts used in thiscase willl work for all
occasions/recipes and they do presume a fair amount of background knowlegde.
But they seem to be a good addition to other methods, to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Blair P. Houghton" > schreef in bericht
. ..
> Jke > wrote:
>>I think it is very clever.

> I think it's got serious ambiguity and simultaneity problems.

On its own, it can't answer all questions regarding a recipe. But I like
it's brevcity and visuality even so.

> --Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Sarah" > schreef in bericht
news

> "Jke" > wrote in message
>> Whilst browsing around the Net I stumbled upon a chart that summarizes a
>> recipe. I.e., a box containts the ingredients and their method and how
>> times overlap etc.
>>
>> Very practical for not too complicated recipes for people who have enough
>> experience to read between the lines/boxes.
>>
>> Scroll down to the bottom of this page for an example:
>>
>> http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes
>>
>> I think it is very clever.
>>

> It pastes into excel too!

Yeah, and Word, even

I really like the format, I sometimes make Barbs
> rhubarb custard cake in muffin tins, but hadn't thought of cheese cake.

Yum.

> Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I really like the way the recipe is layed out. I think for recipes I use
> frequently this would be a good way to keep the recipe to one side of the
> card.

I figure as long as you are fairly familair with the recipe, that's all the
info you need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...ecake+Cupcakes

>> I think it is very clever.

> Not only clever, I think it's very clear.

I agree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> I'm not an engineer, I don't even really think like one but I love that
> chart!
> I was just thinking the other day that I wish recipes were more visually
> broken down.

Same ehre, although text is more suitable for pointers to make things extra
good on the detail level.

> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just
> driving
> by your mom's house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> That is a very nice way. Thanks
> John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Thank the enigineer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

When I'm making a complicated recipe for the first time, I read it
carefully and work out the order of things, what I need to do first,
what I'll put in which bowl, and I take note of anything special I need
to learn. Then I take notes and come up with something almost exactly
like the chart given for engineers. I've been doing that for years,
long before I saw that someone else had thought of the same shorthand.
Funny thing is that I have more trouble understanding the chart when
someone has done it for me as in the example. I have to read through
and do it myself for it to make any sense.

I'm always fascinated by how people's minds work. That way of writing a
recipe is said to be appealing to engineers. No one would call me an
engineer. I don't have anywhere near the mapping and technological
ability. I'd always been told I wasn't good in math so I took only the
2 years of algebra, 1 year of geometry and 1 year of statistics. I
never went further. Yet I never had any trouble with any of them. (The
idea that I was no good in math might have come from having the worst
time memorizing multiplication tables and understanding fractions and
long division in elementary school.) Now young people call me a math
genius because I can do simple mental arithmatic when they need a
calculator. I just call it a symptom of being old-- like the way I can
touch type.

It is interesting to me that you could 10 experienced cooks all making
the same recipe, but they'd all prefer different directions explained in
different ways.

--Lia