Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shredded Beef Enchiladas

I had a bottom of the round roast - 3 or 4 pounds- taking up much
needed space in my freezer so I decided to put it in the crock pot
last Saturday night before bed.

I browned it first and added salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, chili
flakes, a can (8 ounces) of tomato sauce and about a cup of chicken
broth and let it go till morning. I shredded it and let it cool.

Later that day I made some enchilada sauce from a recipe I found
online somewhere - which was made from a flour/butter/ chicken broth
base with added seasonings - chili powder, cumin and ground
coriander. I had softened some red onions and garlic first then added
butter/floour/spices and then added the broth. After the sauce
thickened, I strained out the onions and added to the shredded meat to
which I also added sliced green onions and a can of chopped green
chili.

I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.

Only thing I would change is that I would mix in some cheese with the
filling. You could use a chuck roast for this - but they tend to be
more expensive than the bottom round roasts and was just as good. The
chuck would have been very greasy - imho - and I like to save the
chuck roasts for straight up pot roast.

I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
rfc!

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 9, 8:23 am, Tracy > wrote:
> I had a bottom of the round roast - 3 or 4 pounds- taking up much
> needed space in my freezer so I decided to put it in the crock pot
> last Saturday night before bed.
>
> I browned it first and added [snip].... and let it go till morning. I shredded it and let it cool.
>
> Later that day I made some enchilada sauce from a recipe I found
> online somewhere [snip]....
>
> I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
> covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
> minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown. [final snips]

Well done. One of the very rare productive uses of the crock pot.
Personally, I don't like the burrito-sized flour tortillas for
enchiladas. Too much wrap to filling ratio. Most of the time,
actually, I use regular size corn tortillas. If you can find cotija
cheese, you'd like that, too. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:23:42 -0000, Tracy > wrote:

>I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
>covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
>minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
>I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
>rfc!

Aren't enchilads normally made with corn tortillas? Sounds to me you
had a big burro.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 2:45 pm, aem > wrote:
]

> Well done. One of the very rare productive uses of the crock pot.
> Personally, I don't like the burrito-sized flour tortillas for
> enchiladas. Too much wrap to filling ratio. Most of the time,
> actually, I use regular size corn tortillas. If you can find cotija
> cheese, you'd like that, too. -aem

Thanks. I contemplated corn tortillas but decided against simply
because I thought they would be too small. Maybe next time. I do use
corn when I make bean/cheese enchiladas.

I will look for that cheese too for the next time which I hope to be
very soon. I think I've seen it somewhere near me - a produce market
which sells all sorts of nice, out of the ordinary (not cheddar/jack/
swiss) cheese.

-Tracy

Dinner tonight will be mac and cheese and apple pie in honor of
"Bones" - both from scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 3:05 pm, Zilbandy > wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:23:42 -0000, Tracy > wrote:
> >I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
> >covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
> >minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
> >I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
> >rfc!

> Aren't enchilads normally made with corn tortillas? Sounds to me you
> had a big burro.
>
> --
> Zilbandy

I stand corrected. :-)
Is a taco made with a soft flour tortilla still a taco?

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 19:35:39 -0000, Tracy > wrote:

>I stand corrected. :-)
>Is a taco made with a soft flour tortilla still a taco?

As a person who has lived for 59 years just 70 miles north of the
Mexican border, to me... no. A taco is not made from a soft flour
tortilla, but, that is just what my personal experiences over the
years have led me to conclude. I'm not as picky about eating soft
'tacos' made with flour tortillas as I am with enchiladas. As I
continue to lose teeth, soft 'tacos' are becoming more enjoyable all
the time. ::big toothless grin::

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I had a bottom of the round roast - 3 or 4 pounds- taking up much
> needed space in my freezer so I decided to put it in the crock pot
> last Saturday night before bed.
>
> I browned it first and added salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, chili
> flakes, a can (8 ounces) of tomato sauce and about a cup of chicken
> broth and let it go till morning. I shredded it and let it cool.
>
> Later that day I made some enchilada sauce from a recipe I found
> online somewhere - which was made from a flour/butter/ chicken broth
> base with added seasonings - chili powder, cumin and ground
> coriander. I had softened some red onions and garlic first then added
> butter/floour/spices and then added the broth. After the sauce
> thickened, I strained out the onions and added to the shredded meat to
> which I also added sliced green onions and a can of chopped green
> chili.
>
> I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
> covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
> minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
>
> Only thing I would change is that I would mix in some cheese with the
> filling. You could use a chuck roast for this - but they tend to be
> more expensive than the bottom round roasts and was just as good. The
> chuck would have been very greasy - imho - and I like to save the
> chuck roasts for straight up pot roast.
>
> I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
> rfc!

Sounds like a good recipe. The Mexican places around here serve similar
offerings but they call them enchilada style burritos. Probably a more
appropriate name. Enchiladas for me always mean corn tortillas that I have
flash cooked for a few seconds in hot oil, then rolled or stacked.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Oct 9, 3:05 pm, Zilbandy > wrote:
> > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:23:42 -0000, Tracy > wrote:
> > >I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
> > >covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
> > >minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
> > >I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
> > >rfc!

> > Aren't enchilads normally made with corn tortillas? Sounds to me you
> > had a big burro.
> >
> > --
> > Zilbandy

> I stand corrected. :-)
> Is a taco made with a soft flour tortilla still a taco?

Not really, no. That is more or less an American invention. And classic
tacos use soft corn tortillas that have either been steamed or dipped meat
juices. They don;t deep fry the tortillas in Mexico, that would be a
tostada.

But if it tastes good, it is good. It doesn't have to always be "authentic"
and truth is there are many styles of tacos, burritos etc.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zilbandy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:23:42 -0000, Tracy > wrote:
>
>>I stuffed the big burrito sized flour tortillas with the mixture,
>>covered with sauce and monterey jack cheese and baked for about 25
>>minutes till the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown.
>>I wouldn't have ever thought of doing enchiladas this way if not for
>>rfc!

> Aren't enchilads normally made with corn tortillas? Sounds to me you
> had a big burro.
>
> --
> Zilbandy

Not necessarily. Mexican food is not all made the same way. Where I live
enchilladas made by Mexicans can be made with either corn or flour
tortillas. Corn tortillas are considered in some families low class and
they won't eat them at all. Enchilladas don't even always have sauce. Most
here don't have sauce. The tortilla is covered with a powdered chile. And
yes, they're made that way by Mexicans for Mexicans.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:45:39 -0700, aem > wrote:

>Well done. One of the very rare productive uses of the crock pot.
>Personally, I don't like the burrito-sized flour tortillas for
>enchiladas. Too much wrap to filling ratio. Most of the time,
>actually, I use regular size corn tortillas. If you can find cotija
>cheese, you'd like that, too. -aem

Not only that, I prefer corn for anything wet. Flour tortillas taste
like wallpaper paste to me after they've been baked in a sauce.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:20:10 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> wrote:

>Sounds like a good recipe. The Mexican places around here serve similar
>offerings but they call them enchilada style burritos. Probably a more
>appropriate name. Enchiladas for me always mean corn tortillas that I have
>flash cooked for a few seconds in hot oil, then rolled or stacked.

In southern CA, they have "wet" burritos. I wonder if that could be
the same thing.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Zilbandy" > wrote in message
>

> > Aren't enchilads normally made with corn tortillas? Sounds to me you
> > had a big burro.

> > --
> > Zilbandy

> Not necessarily. Mexican food is not all made the same way. Where I live
> enchilladas made by Mexicans can be made with either corn or flour
> tortillas. Corn tortillas are considered in some families low class and
> they won't eat them at all. Enchilladas don't even always have sauce. Most
> here don't have sauce. The tortilla is covered with a powdered chile. And
> yes, they're made that way by Mexicans for Mexicans.
>
> Ms P

More proof that we need to stop getting hung up on what something is
called. To a certain extent I think it is a good thing to be as
authentic as possible with regard to naming recipes. Spaghetti is not
lasagna but chili with or without beans is still chili - right? I
won't go near BBQ. ;-)

I will admit to having a problem with recipes that have "Moroccan" in
the title....;-)

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Not necessarily. Mexican food is not all made the same way. Where I
>> live
>> enchilladas made by Mexicans can be made with either corn or flour
>> tortillas. Corn tortillas are considered in some families low class and
>> they won't eat them at all. Enchilladas don't even always have sauce.
>> Most
>> here don't have sauce. The tortilla is covered with a powdered chile.
>> And
>> yes, they're made that way by Mexicans for Mexicans.
>>
>> Ms P

> More proof that we need to stop getting hung up on what something is
> called. To a certain extent I think it is a good thing to be as
> authentic as possible with regard to naming recipes. Spaghetti is not
> lasagna but chili with or without beans is still chili - right? I
> won't go near BBQ. ;-)
>
> I will admit to having a problem with recipes that have "Moroccan" in
> the title....;-)
>
> -Tracy

Labeling something as "authentic" is the real problem. Mexican food is as
varied as any other cuisine. What's "authentic" in one part of the country
may be totally unknown in another part of the country. When you determine
that only one dish is the authentic one you discount the dozens of other
ways the same dish is made in other parts of the country and culture. One
Mexican grandmother isn't any less authentic than another Mexican
grandmother just because one is from Zacatecas and the other is from
Chiapas. But the food they cook will not likely be the same.

How many Americans do you know that make meatloaf exactly the same way? Is
one any more or less "authentic" than the other?

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Labeling something as "authentic" is the real problem. Mexican food is as
> varied as any other cuisine. What's "authentic" in one part of the country
> may be totally unknown in another part of the country. When you determine
> that only one dish is the authentic one you discount the dozens of other
> ways the same dish is made in other parts of the country and culture. One
> Mexican grandmother isn't any less authentic than another Mexican
> grandmother just because one is from Zacatecas and the other is from
> Chiapas. But the food they cook will not likely be the same.
>
> How many Americans do you know that make meatloaf exactly the same way? Is
> one any more or less "authentic" than the other?
>
> Ms P- Hide quoted text -

This whole thing started when I called a flour tortilla dish an
enchilada and others said - well that's not a real enchilada.....I was
recently looking for a paella recipe - since I just brought home a
paella pan from Spain. I came across a whole nother thread about what
is authentic paella...When I was in Spain - Valencia area - there were
ALL KINDS of different paella(s). Go figure. I have learned there
are certain foods that trigger the most animosity - BBQ being the
biggest. I try to avoid those arguments.

Today, just happened to look at the "oops" thread and saw that it has
turned into a bicker fest about what is REAL pesto or rather Genovese
Pesto - as if there were no other way to make it.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> Labeling something as "authentic" is the real problem. Mexican food is
>> as
>> varied as any other cuisine. What's "authentic" in one part of the
>> country
>> may be totally unknown in another part of the country. When you
>> determine
>> that only one dish is the authentic one you discount the dozens of other
>> ways the same dish is made in other parts of the country and culture.
>> One
>> Mexican grandmother isn't any less authentic than another Mexican
>> grandmother just because one is from Zacatecas and the other is from
>> Chiapas. But the food they cook will not likely be the same.
>>
>> How many Americans do you know that make meatloaf exactly the same way?
>> Is
>> one any more or less "authentic" than the other?
>>
>> Ms P- Hide quoted text -
>>

> This whole thing started when I called a flour tortilla dish an
> enchilada and others said - well that's not a real enchilada.....I was
> recently looking for a paella recipe - since I just brought home a
> paella pan from Spain. I came across a whole nother thread about what
> is authentic paella...When I was in Spain - Valencia area - there were
> ALL KINDS of different paella(s). Go figure. I have learned there
> are certain foods that trigger the most animosity - BBQ being the
> biggest. I try to avoid those arguments.
>
> Today, just happened to look at the "oops" thread and saw that it has
> turned into a bicker fest about what is REAL pesto or rather Genovese
> Pesto - as if there were no other way to make it.
>
> -Tracy

Of course there are all kinds of paella and variations in pesto. Everybody
is going to make it to suit themselves.

People who try to label only one way of making any dish "the one and only
authentic way" are generally full of it and don't understand cooking.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P wrote:

> Of course there are all kinds of paella and variations in pesto.
> Everybody is going to make it to suit themselves.
>
> People who try to label only one way of making any dish "the one and
> only authentic way" are generally full of it and don't understand cooking.

^^

> Ms P

You forgot two letters "sh". ;-)

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message ...
> Ms P wrote:
>>

>> Of course there are all kinds of paella and variations in pesto.
>> Everybody is going to make it to suit themselves.
>>
>> People who try to label only one way of making any dish "the one and only
>> authentic way" are generally full of it and don't understand cooking.

> ^^
>
>> Ms P

> You forgot two letters "sh". ;-)
>
> -Tracy

Yup, that's what they're full of.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:33:51 -0500, "Ms P" >
wrote:

>Yup, that's what they're full of.

Now, would that sh.. be 'authentic'? ::ducking::

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zilbandy" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:33:51 -0500, "Ms P" >
> wrote:
>
>>Yup, that's what they're full of.

> Now, would that sh.. be 'authentic'? ::ducking::
>
> --
> Zilbandy

<cackle> Probably not.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:21:09 -0700, Zilbandy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:33:51 -0500, "Ms P" >
>wrote:
>
>>Yup, that's what they're full of.

>Now, would that sh.. be 'authentic'? ::ducking::

only if you get it from native mexicans.

your pal,
blake

Mexican shredded beef. ImStillMags General Cooking 8 16-11-2016 06:15 PM
Savory Shredded Beef Denise[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2007 02:56 AM
Mexican Shredded Beef Enchiladas Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 11-10-2006 11:25 PM
Shredded Italian Beef Duckie ® Recipes 0 14-08-2005 03:46 PM
Shredded Beef (2) Collection Mary Filmore Recipes (moderated) 0 15-01-2004 05:01 AM