Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How much should I charge?

I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
$.24 a piece to make.

These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
charge her?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into
> work the other day and now a co-worker wants me to make
> some for her. She said she's willing to pay whatever I
> think they're worth but I'm not sure what to charge her. I
> don't want to appear greedy but then I don't want to cheat
> myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish
> cost me between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range
> is due to the fact that some of the ingredients were on
> sale. The fruit Danish cost between $.33 and $.50 a piece
> to make depending on what fruit I use. I make my fillings
> from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and $.24 a
> piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working
> with the dough all day. Most of the time the dough is
> resting in the refrigerator or the formed pastries are
> rising. How much do you all think I should charge her?

add (minimum)$10/hour for the time you are actually mixing or
working with the dough/fillings, & don't forget to add some
overhead charges for electricity and/or gas (refrigeration &
baking).
as an alternative, check the prices that really good bakeries
are selling similar products for & use those prices.
you are doing yourself & other home bakers a huge disservice
if you underprice your product. i know this is a bigger issue
in crafting, but it does apply to baking also.
lee <yes, i know you can buy that mass produced in China teddy
bear for $10, but it costs *me* $50 in materials & time to
make this unique bear to order... so no, i *won't* sell it for
$10)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Oct 6, 1:36 pm, " > wrote:
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. [snip[
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

How to establish prices is one of the more interesting topics in
business school. Cost of materials and time alone seldom lead to a
good answer. In this case, it doesn't sound as though you're starting
a business or generating a second income, so costs and time don't
really matter. You're doing a favor for a friend, so cloaking it as a
business transaction doesn't really make sense. Just bring them in
and tell her to figure out a compensating favor she can do for you
sometime. Maybe she makes good sandwiches or burritos or lasagna. Or
can make a beautiful flower arrangement. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

Sounds like you're heading into a disaster.

a) Costs have nothing to do with pricing. Pricing is
based on what the market will bear. Costs only help
determine whether it's profitable.

b) This may not be legal. It's illegal where I live
to make food items for sale in a home kitchen.
If you own your own home, be sure you aren't
voiding your insurance policy by operating a
commercial kitchen in your home.

c) You don't seem to have much business background.
I predict you'll seriously underestimate the value
of your labor. This won't be fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?
>
> Thanks

I would add the cost of whatever hourly rate you think is reasonable for
your time and effort onto the cost of the ingredients, then charge
accordingly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:04:35 -0700, aem > wrote:

>You're doing a favor for a friend, so cloaking it as a
>business transaction doesn't really make sense. Just bring them in
>and tell her to figure out a compensating favor she can do for you
>sometime. Maybe she makes good sandwiches or burritos or lasagna. Or
>can make a beautiful flower arrangement. -aem

Or let her reimburse your costs.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.

Your costs are not just the cost of the ingredients. For example, besides
the ingredients, did you include your costs for: automobile expenses to pick
up the ingredients, utilities, packaging, clean-up materials, your labor,
delivery, etc? A very quick and dirty rule of thumb is to arrive at your
cost of goods (COG) and multiply by 3 or 4.

> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising.

Your refrigerator is costing you electricity to produce the product you want
to sell. And even if you are not laboring with the dough, there is still
time spent monitoring and keeping track of the dough.

> How much do you all think I should charge her?

That will depend on what your final cost of goods figure actually is. Since
this is a one-time thing for a co-worker, you can afford to be flexible. If
it turns into a business, abiding by a true COG analysis is a must.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_goods_sold

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

Truthfully, if it were me I would never go near this with a ten food twisty
bread. I have seen this kind of thing in the workplace and it seems to just
bring out the worst in people. Hurt feelings complicated by "I paid you
good money" "you did it for her why not me?" bosses that get riled over cash
transactions in the workplace etc etc etc. If it were me I would tell her
you'll make some for free the next time you make some for yourself. If she
reciprocates some day, great, otherwise forget it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> says...
> > I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> > other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> > she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> > what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> > want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> > and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> > between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> > that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> > between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> > I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> > $.24 a piece to make.
> >
> > These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> > all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> > the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> > charge her?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> My advice is to forget about it. Making pastries as a kindness to your
> coworkers is great, but when money gets involved you are asking for
> trouble. Too expensive and there will be resentment. If your price is a
> great deal, others will want them too and when you can't make them for
> everyone there will be resentment.

Ayup - I seen it myself over homemade tamales. It turned ugly and fast.
Great tamales, I must admit.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 6:44 pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
>

> > I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> > other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> > she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> > what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> > want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> > and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> > between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> > that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> > between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> > I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> > $.24 a piece to make.

> > These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> > all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> > the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> > charge her?

> > Thanks

> My advice is to forget about it. Making pastries as a kindness to your
> coworkers is great, but when money gets involved you are asking for
> trouble. Too expensive and there will be resentment. If your price is a
> great deal, others will want them too and when you can't make them for
> everyone there will be resentment.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

I couldn't have said it better than Peter A. except for this: "No good
deed goes unpunished"
Tell your friend that you made them as a gift and that doing it for
profit would spoil the fun.

If your friend objects, look her straight in the eye, hold up your
open palm, smile sweetly, and keep repeating, "No way, no how, case
closed".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

Either $100 or $0.

You cannot apply the cost of 38¢ and expect to do anything more than recoup
your material cost on a small quantity. Count in your time (even if you are
able to multi-task) and you are easily in the $100 range for the day.

This is a no win situation. Next time you make the treats, give her three
or four. Do this a few times and she may give you a nice gift at Christmas
or your Birthday. Or she may not. Remember, if you sell them, she also has
the right to complain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 4:36?pm, " > wrote:
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

You have three choices... bake her a dozen next time you bake and tell
her to pay what she thinks they're worth... or charge the same as your
local bakery plus 25pct more because you use better ingredients and
yours are so much better (if she could get better from the local
bakery she wouldn't want yours), or do what I'd do, have your coworker
come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
anymore.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Oct 6, 1:36 pm, " > wrote:
>> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
>> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
>> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
>> what to charge her. [snip[
>>
>> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
>> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
>> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
>> charge her?
>>

> How to establish prices is one of the more interesting topics in
> business school. Cost of materials and time alone seldom lead to a
> good answer. In this case, it doesn't sound as though you're starting
> a business or generating a second income, so costs and time don't
> really matter. You're doing a favor for a friend, so cloaking it as a
> business transaction doesn't really make sense. Just bring them in
> and tell her to figure out a compensating favor she can do for you
> sometime. Maybe she makes good sandwiches or burritos or lasagna. Or
> can make a beautiful flower arrangement. -aem

I don't agree at all. Things that are provided "for free" or for a
future favor are not valued by the recipient. What happens if the
co-worker decides she wants djs to bake for her once a week or twice a
month? Baking can be an expensive, tedious procedure that djs may not
want to take on frequently for others. Additionally, there are people
who pride themselves on taking advantage of others

I'd look around at what a good quality bakery charges and let that help
with the decision, and of course let the co-worker know the price BEFORE
she commits to purchase. $1 to $1.25 apiece for the Danish and $1 for
the croissants (or even more for each) doesn't seem outrageous to me.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

>> How to establish prices is one of the more interesting topics in
>> business school. Cost of materials and time alone seldom lead to a
>> good answer. In this case, it doesn't sound as though you're starting
>> a business or generating a second income, so costs and time don't
>> really matter. You're doing a favor for a friend, so cloaking it as a
>> business transaction doesn't really make sense. Just bring them in
>> and tell her to figure out a compensating favor she can do for you
>> sometime. Maybe she makes good sandwiches or burritos or lasagna. Or
>> can make a beautiful flower arrangement. -aem
>>

> I don't agree at all. Things that are provided "for free" or for a
> future favor are not valued by the recipient. What happens if the
> co-worker decides she wants djs to bake for her once a week or twice a
> month? Baking can be an expensive, tedious procedure that djs may not
> want to take on frequently for others. Additionally, there are people
> who pride themselves on taking advantage of others

I agree with your disagreement...

I am not sure what or why it is but way too many people seem to want to
take advantage of others. I sometimes think it is the "Walmart syndrome"
where they think everything should be cheap and labor has minimal value
(except their own).

I have a few friends who I will do anything for without keeping a score
sheet. And too many others who have tried to take advantage and get
things for free.

> I'd look around at what a good quality bakery charges and let that help
> with the decision, and of course let the co-worker know the price BEFORE
> she commits to purchase. $1 to $1.25 apiece for the Danish and $1 for
> the croissants (or even more for each) doesn't seem outrageous to me.
>
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?

Do yourself a favour. Either charge enough to make it pay for you......
ingredients, energy costs, cost of equipment plus your time..... or give
your co-worker the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Oct 6, 4:36?pm, " > wrote:

snip
or do what I'd do, have your coworker
> come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
> and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
> anymore.
>
> Sheldon

Boy, that's the truth.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:36:39 -0700, "
> wrote:

>I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
>other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
>she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
>what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
>want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
>and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
>between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
>that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
>between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
>I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
>$.24 a piece to make.
>
>These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
>all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
>the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
>charge her?

You're not running a business... I'd sit down and work out exactly how
much all the ingredients cost (including electricity for baking!) and
tell her you'll make her however many you're willing to (say 2 dozen)
for the cost of the ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 22:05:37 -0400, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>You're not running a business... I'd sit down and work out exactly how
>much all the ingredients cost (including electricity for baking!) and
>tell her you'll make her however many you're willing to (say 2 dozen)
>for the cost of the ingredients.

...... the *next* time you make them for yourself.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 10:05?pm, Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:36:39 -0700, "
>

> > wrote:
> >I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> >other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> >she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> >what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> >want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> >and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> >between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> >that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> >between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> >I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> >$.24 a piece to make.

> >These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> >all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> >the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> >charge her?

> You're not running a business...

Yes, she is running a business, whenever one expects payment it's a
business.

I'd sit down and work out exactly how
> much all the ingredients cost (including electricity for baking!) and
> tell her you'll make her however many you're willing to (say 2 dozen)
> for the cost of the ingredients.

You're just willing to work cheap, but it's still a business... so yer
a working girl, we know what you are, just negotiating the price...

Actually the ingredients and power consumption (which includes
lighting and fridge) are the smallest cost... what about time and
labor, and the trip to the grocery store, and maybe you don't clean
your kitchen...

If I'm going to stay home all day baking for another there would need
to be a minimum order too, like no less than six dozen, and they'd
have to pay at least the going retail rate, even a bit more because
it's custom made and of exceptional quality.... if you think I'm going
to spend an entire day baking two dozen pieces at a financial loss yer
nutz! I wouldn't do that kind of gift for a coworker I barely know...
just gonna be in deep doodoo with all the other coworkers when they
ask for free buns too.. and none will believe I didn't get something
under the table, if ya know what I mean. hehe However I'd offer to
bake buns for the entire staff, a minimum of 500 pieces at a buck a
pop... now it's worth my while to bake all day.

What, ya changed yer mind... as soon as ya want a few sheckels yer
buns don't look so sweet anymore... everybody wants something for
nothing. They'd have to pay up front.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Oct 6, 6:44 pm, Peter A > wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> says...
>>

>>> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
>>> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She
>>> said she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm
>>> not sure what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but
>>> then I don't want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of
>>> the ingredients and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan
>>> Danish cost me between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is
>>> due to the fact that some of the ingredients were on sale. The
>>> fruit Danish cost between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending
>>> on what fruit I use. I make my fillings from scratch. The
>>> croissants cost between $.19 and $.24 a piece to make.

>>> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the
>>> dough all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the
>>> refrigerator or the formed pastries are rising. How much do you
>>> all think I should charge her?

>>> Thanks

>> My advice is to forget about it. Making pastries as a kindness to
>> your coworkers is great, but when money gets involved you are asking
>> for trouble. Too expensive and there will be resentment. If your
>> price is a great deal, others will want them too and when you can't
>> make them for everyone there will be resentment.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken

> I couldn't have said it better than Peter A. except for this: "No good
> deed goes unpunished"
> Tell your friend that you made them as a gift and that doing it for
> profit would spoil the fun.
>
> If your friend objects, look her straight in the eye, hold up your
> open palm, smile sweetly, and keep repeating, "No way, no how, case
> closed".

I agree. No reason to start a "business" making these treats unless you int
end to start a business in the first place. They can buy pastries at the
store. Once you start charging for them they'll expect them and next thing
you know... you're in business! And you so don't want to go there.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <mlUNi.1621$rD1.1223@trnddc01>,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > My advice is to forget about it. Making pastries as a kindness to your
> > coworkers is great, but when money gets involved you are asking for
> > trouble. Too expensive and there will be resentment. If your price is a
> > great deal, others will want them too and when you can't make them for
> > everyone there will be resentment.

> Ayup - I seen it myself over homemade tamales. It turned ugly and fast.
> Great tamales, I must admit.
>
> Paul

Fortunately, where I work, there are many people making Tamales during
the holiday season. Prices are set and competitive.

The only problem is that there never seem to be enough to go around. <g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I agree. No reason to start a "business" making these treats unless you
> int
> end to start a business in the first place. They can buy pastries at the
> store. Once you start charging for them they'll expect them and next
> thing
> you know... you're in business! And you so don't want to go there.
>
> Jill

My wife ruined a perfectly good hobby that way. She used to make a lot of
ceramic items for personal use and as gifts. Then friends asked her to
teach them. She made good money for a couple of years, but has not touched
a piece of clay for personal use since.

My hobby is wood working and I refuse to make anything for anyone for money.
I refuse to make anything for anyone if it has a time schedule. I've given
away many items costing me a fair amount of money for wood and a good amount
of time, but it was done because I want to, not have to.

Once your friend says "I'm having some neighbors over next Saturday, could
you please make me some pastries?" you're in trouble. No more fun, you have
an obligation if you say "yes", a hurt friendship if you say "no", so just
avoid it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> I agree. No reason to start a "business" making these treats unless you
>> int
>> end to start a business in the first place. They can buy pastries at the
>> store. Once you start charging for them they'll expect them and next
>> thing
>> you know... you're in business! And you so don't want to go there.
>>
>> Jill

> My wife ruined a perfectly good hobby that way. She used to make a lot of
> ceramic items for personal use and as gifts. Then friends asked her to
> teach them. She made good money for a couple of years, but has not
> touched a piece of clay for personal use since.
>
> My hobby is wood working and I refuse to make anything for anyone for
> money. I refuse to make anything for anyone if it has a time schedule.
> I've given away many items costing me a fair amount of money for wood and
> a good amount of time, but it was done because I want to, not have to.
>
> Once your friend says "I'm having some neighbors over next Saturday, could
> you please make me some pastries?" you're in trouble. No more fun, you
> have an obligation if you say "yes", a hurt friendship if you say "no", so
> just avoid it.

Same with me, I never charge my neighbors for computer advice or even time
spent with their problems. That way I am free to decline anytime I want to
and they can't blame me for being too busy to work for nothing. And if they
offer money I say "I wouldn't know how much to charge you." That usually
does it. After a while, they get the hint. But when I do cave in, I almost
always find a bottle of good wine or some beer on my doorstep.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 1:36?pm, " > wrote:
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?
>
> Thanks

When people ask me to make things for them I either do it for free or
telt hem I can't do it right now. I tell them if I charge people it
takes the fun out of it because then they have a right to bitch. I
don't make anything that would break the bank if I make them a couple
dozen as a gift. I think this saves relationships and hard feelings.
Pam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> I agree. No reason to start a "business" making these treats unless
>> you intend to start a business in the first place. They can buy pastries
>> at the store. Once you start charging for them they'll expect them
>> and next thing
>> you know... you're in business!

> My wife ruined a perfectly good hobby that way. She used to make a
> lot of ceramic items for personal use and as gifts. Then friends
> asked her to teach them. She made good money for a couple of years,
> but has not touched a piece of clay for personal use since.

This is exactly the reason when my father suggested I go to school to become
a chef I said "NO." I enjoy cooking. But I cook when I want to and what I
want to. I am absolutely not going to turn it into a job. I don't want to
come to hate cooking!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
pamjd > wrote:

> On Oct 6, 1:36?pm, " > wrote:
> > I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> > other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> > she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> > what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> > want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> > and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> > between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> > that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> > between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> > I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> > $.24 a piece to make.
> >
> > These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> > all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> > the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> > charge her?
> >
> > Thanks

> When people ask me to make things for them I either do it for free or
> telt hem I can't do it right now. I tell them if I charge people it
> takes the fun out of it because then they have a right to bitch. I
> don't make anything that would break the bank if I make them a couple
> dozen as a gift. I think this saves relationships and hard feelings.
> Pam

And liability for not having a TB test and food handlers license.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>
> > > My advice is to forget about it.

> > I seen it myself over homemade tamales.

> Fortunately, where I work, there are many people making Tamales during
> the holiday season. Prices are set and competitive.
>
> The only problem is that there never seem to be enough to go around. <g>

I guess that would depend on your circumference! <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:

> > > I seen it myself over homemade tamales.

> > Fortunately, where I work, there are many people making Tamales during
> > the holiday season. Prices are set and competitive.
> >
> > The only problem is that there never seem to be enough to go around. <g>

> I guess that would depend on your circumference! <g>

<rolls eyes>

They often cannot fill all the orders for Christmas and New years
parties. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> When people ask me to make things for them I either do it for free or
>> telt hem I can't do it right now. I tell them if I charge people it
>> takes the fun out of it because then they have a right to bitch. I
>> don't make anything that would break the bank if I make them a couple
>> dozen as a gift. I think this saves relationships and hard feelings.
>> Pam

> And liability for not having a TB test and food handlers license.

I'm less concerned about some food handler having TB than a few other
diseases...Hepatitis A immediately comes to mind?

Side note (somewhat related) is that Typhoid Mary was an actual Irish
cook with a very unusual sub-clinical case of the disease who was
causing little outbreaks of disease wherever she went and cooked. She
was cooking for an affluent family in Oyster Bay, L.I. who had retreated
there away from the city in hopes of avoiding the outbreak. When the
health department tracked her down she refused to give up cooking as her
livelihood and was put into quarantine on a small island (near Ellis
Island, I believe?) to live out her years. It is a fascinating story and
interesting early health department detective work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> How much do you all think I should charge her?
>
> Thanks

There's a Danish Pasterie shop in Burien, WA (small town south seattle)

I would call them and ask what they charge.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 13:36:39 -0700, " > wrote:

>I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
>other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
>she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
>what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
>want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
>and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
>between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
>that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
>between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
>I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
>$.24 a piece to make.
>
>These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
>all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
>the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
>charge her?
>
>Thanks

Be honest with her. She could get them cheaper than what it costs you to make them
from a bakery. Show her what it breaks down to and ask her if she wants you to go
ahead.

Fair's fair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?
>
> Thanks

How many does she want?

If you really like this co-worker, make her some next time you are
making them for yourself and give them to her as a gift.

Not sure charging for these is going to lead to anything good in the
future. I did that with cakes. It ended up not being much fun having
to make cakes on demand.

If you do charge, make sure it is enough to make you feel good about
doing it, not taken advantage of.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>> I agree. No reason to start a "business" making these treats unless you
>> int
>> end to start a business in the first place. They can buy pastries at the
>> store. Once you start charging for them they'll expect them and next
>> thing
>> you know... you're in business! And you so don't want to go there.
>>
>> Jill

> My wife ruined a perfectly good hobby that way. She used to make a lot of
> ceramic items for personal use and as gifts. Then friends asked her to
> teach them. She made good money for a couple of years, but has not
> touched a piece of clay for personal use since.
>
> My hobby is wood working and I refuse to make anything for anyone for
> money. I refuse to make anything for anyone if it has a time schedule.
> I've given away many items costing me a fair amount of money for wood and
> a good amount of time, but it was done because I want to, not have to.

I had considered turning my soapmaking hobby into a business years ago, but
decided not to, and I haven't regretted that decision. It was fun when I
made soaps as gifts for family members, friends, and co-workers, because I
made the soaps when I wanted, how I wanted--on my terms.

> Once your friend says "I'm having some neighbors over next Saturday, could
> you please make me some pastries?" you're in trouble. No more fun, you
> have an obligation if you say "yes", a hurt friendship if you say "no", so
> just avoid it.

ITA.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Larry LaMere" > wrote in message
> Be honest with her. She could get them cheaper than what it costs you to
> make them
> from a bakery. Show her what it breaks down to and ask her if she wants
> you to go
> ahead.
>
> Fair's fair.

Sure you can get them cheaper from a bakery, but most bakeries today make
crap. There is not a single bakery within 30 miles of me that makes a
decent pastry. As it is, I drive 30 miles to Worcester get a good loaf of
Polish rye bread. If I want good pastry, it is 30 miles in a different
direction to Providence or 65 miles to Boston.

Orr society has sadly evolved to the point that people actually like the
cupcakes at the supermarket bakery and doughnuts from Dunkin Donuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She said
> she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not sure
> what to charge her. I don't want to appear greedy but then I don't
> want to cheat myself either. I figured up the cost of the ingredients
> and it breaks down into this. The cinnamon pecan Danish cost me
> between $.33 and $.38 a piece to make. The range is due to the fact
> that some of the ingredients were on sale. The fruit Danish cost
> between $.33 and $.50 a piece to make depending on what fruit I use.
> I make my fillings from scratch. The croissants cost between $.19 and
> $.24 a piece to make.
>
> These take all day to make but I'm not actually working with the dough
> all day. Most of the time the dough is resting in the refrigerator or
> the formed pastries are rising. How much do you all think I should
> charge her?
>
> Thanks

What the market will bear. Stop thinking in terms of greedy. If you're
selling a high quality product, charge what it is worth. What does the
best bakery you know charge for something comparable? If your are as
good as theirs, charge at least as much as they do. Each. Do NOT say,
"Oh, whatever you think they're worth." If you have talent and skill,
honor it. Or else make them for her for the cost of ingredients and
NEVER bring THAT up to her again.

AND don't start giving discounts to your friends because you'll never be
able to draw a line.

JMO.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Dinner at Yummy! 9-15-2007 Pictures included.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> You have three choices... bake her a dozen next time you bake and tell
> her to pay what she thinks they're worth... or charge the same as your
> local bakery plus 25pct more because you use better ingredients and
> yours are so much better (if she could get better from the local
> bakery she wouldn't want yours), or do what I'd do, have your coworker
> come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
> and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
> anymore.

I vote for the "teach her how to make her own" option

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > You have three choices... bake her a dozen next time you bake and tell
> > her to pay what she thinks they're worth... or charge the same as your
> > local bakery plus 25pct more because you use better ingredients and
> > yours are so much better (if she could get better from the local
> > bakery she wouldn't want yours), or do what I'd do, have your coworker
> > come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
> > and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
> > anymore.

> I vote for the "teach her how to make her own" option

That is probably the wisest way to go, but I don't think that is what the
person wanted. I think that anyone who was really interested in making
them herself would have asked for the recipe. She wanted the OP to make
some for her and charge her whatever she thinks they are worth. I suspect
she is looking for a cheap supply of pastry to be delivered to her at work.

When people want others to make something for them they usually expect to
reimburse them for the cost of ingredients. They aren't really interested
in contributing to the cost of the oven in which they are baked, the
mixers. bowls, baking sheets, energy and other related costs, and they
especially aren't interested in paying for the time. If I were to make
someone a pie, for instance I may be able to read of play computer games
while they are in the oven for 45 minutes or so, but that is still 45
minutes of my time that I have to stick around for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Oct 6, 4:36?pm, " > wrote:
>> I took some homemade Danish pastries and croissants into work the
>> other day and now a co-worker wants me to make some for her. She
>> said she's willing to pay whatever I think they're worth but I'm not
>> sure what to charge her.

<snip>

Sheldon wrote:
> or do what I'd do, have your coworker
> come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
> and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
> anymore.
>
> Sheldon

Of all the suggestions, I like yours the best, Sheldon.
If the co-worker is really interested, she'll accept the offer of
instruction and learn something valuable. I see problems if she pays
for the baked goods, not the least of which is her feeling she can ask
again - and again. Additionally, other co-workers might want the same
arrangement and there'll be hard feelings if their requests are
declined.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> You have three choices... bake her a dozen next time you bake and tell
>>> her to pay what she thinks they're worth... or charge the same as your
>>> local bakery plus 25pct more because you use better ingredients and
>>> yours are so much better (if she could get better from the local
>>> bakery she wouldn't want yours), or do what I'd do, have your coworker
>>> come over for a day so you can teach her how so she can make her own,
>>> and charge nothing... once money changes hands you won't be friends
>>> anymore.

>> I vote for the "teach her how to make her own" option

> That is probably the wisest way to go, but I don't think that is what the
> person wanted. I think that anyone who was really interested in making
> them herself would have asked for the recipe. She wanted the OP to make
> some for her and charge her whatever she thinks they are worth. I suspect
> she is looking for a cheap supply of pastry to be delivered to her at work.
>

> When people want others to make something for them they usually expect to
> reimburse them for the cost of ingredients. They aren't really interested
> in contributing to the cost of the oven in which they are baked, the
> mixers. bowls, baking sheets, energy and other related costs, and they
> especially aren't interested in paying for the time. If I were to make
> someone a pie, for instance I may be able to read of play computer games
> while they are in the oven for 45 minutes or so, but that is still 45
> minutes of my time that I have to stick around for.

We had a lady at my last place of work that made the *best* blueberry
muffins. She brought one or two in for her coworkers as a "treat" a few
times... Anyway, (similar story to the OP's) - people loved them, wanted
her to make more of them, offered to pay for them.... so she made more
(and more) and charged (slightly) less than you would pay for them in
the stores. Long story short, she spent more and more time taking orders
and selling her wares and less and less time at actually doing the job
she was employed to do... Eventually, "Management" got tired of it and
the lady concerned was told to stop "selling food" at work, or resign...