Walter H. Lewis III

Default How much to charge for a pig roast?

I've been cooking pigs for family friends and work picnics for years
but have never charged for one.

Late October my son wants me to haul my pig cooker to Knoxville for
the UT SC game and he wants to cover costs.

I usually allow a pound per person but am unsure if son will be doing
slaw and beans too or what exactly the plan is.

Can someone give a ball park for charge per person to cover ALL
expenses?

Dave Bugg

Walter H. Lewis III wrote:

> Can someone give a ball park for charge per person to cover ALL
> expenses?

It depends. Does he already have the commisary-health inspection-food
handlers permit-portable handwash sink/grey water collection-buisiness
licenses, etc in place, or will he need to do this as part of this one
outing? Napkins, food containers for guests, wet wipes, condiments, cost of
fuel for the cooker, etct. Not to mention the cost of gas just to get there
and back is anyone's guess at this point

I guess the thing is this --- you haven't told us what the cost of goods
will be, so it would be impossible to give you even a ballpark figure.
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Walter H. Lewis III > wrote:
> I've been cooking pigs for family friends and work picnics for years
> but have never charged for one.
>
> Late October my son wants me to haul my pig cooker to Knoxville for
> the UT SC game and he wants to cover costs.
>
> I usually allow a pound per person but am unsure if son will be doing
> slaw and beans too or what exactly the plan is.
>
> Can someone give a ball park for charge per person to cover ALL
> expenses?

Calculate all costs. Divide by number of expected people payin' ta eat.
Multiply by contingency factor to cover waste, spillage, what ya fergot and
chef/server's/guests food and booze. I come up with $7 a head nekkid, $9
with sides.

Football players (3 pounds per person + Gator Aid), cops (2 lbs/ + a brew)
and purty women (1/2 lb each + 2 brews) eat free! Gotta factor that in,
too!

Jes' have fun, da's all! Jes' have fun! And post pics to a.b.f

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Dave Bugg

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
> modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw & beans
> for me usually.

Sheesh, I need to up my prices. :-)
--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

kilikini

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
> > That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
> > modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw & beans
> > for me usually.

> Sheesh, I need to up my prices. :-)
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Dave, I honestly think you should anyway. Sorry, my 2 cents.

kili

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> On 04 Sep 2005 22:33:34 GMT, wrote:
> >Walter H. Lewis III > wrote:
> >> I've been cooking pigs for family friends and work picnics for years
> >> but have never charged for one.
> >>
> >> Late October my son wants me to haul my pig cooker to Knoxville for
> >> the UT SC game and he wants to cover costs.
> >>
> >> I usually allow a pound per person but am unsure if son will be doing
> >> slaw and beans too or what exactly the plan is.
> >>
> >> Can someone give a ball park for charge per person to cover ALL
> >> expenses?

> >Calculate all costs. Divide by number of expected people payin' ta eat.
> >Multiply by contingency factor to cover waste, spillage, what ya fergot
> >and chef/server's/guests food and booze. I come up with $7 a head
> >nekkid, $9 with sides.
> >
> >Football players (3 pounds per person + Gator Aid), cops (2 lbs/ + a
> >brew) and purty women (1/2 lb each + 2 brews) eat free! Gotta factor
> >that in, too!
> >
> >Jes' have fun, da's all! Jes' have fun! And post pics to a.b.f

> That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
> modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw & beans
> for me usually. I could do a couple of those for lunch and I don't
> eat big.
> How much travelling expense to be added in today's [post Katrina
> world]?

Like I said, "Calculate ALL costs."

My gun club charges $10 a head at our annual Saturday Pig Roast. BBQ'd
apple in the mouth pig (12 to 16 hours over charcoal) wearing a cap and
shades at presentation, fried chicken, corn on the cob, beans, a couple of
different slaws, 'tater and/or macaroni salad, buns, a whole table of
desserts and refills on all. 200 to 300 people show up and leftovers are
finished the next day for lunch at $2 or $3 a head. We triple-blind raffle
off pistols, rifles, ammo, gun safes, knives and all kinds of stuff.
Raffled off an M-1 Garand a couple of years ago. What a beauty. It's our
biggest fund-raiser of the year, although Oktoberfest does good, too.

I think your local Pit may be over-charging.
Oh, I fergot. That's Canadian $. ;-)

"Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
> > That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
> > modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw & beans
> > for me usually.

> Sheesh, I need to up my prices. :-)

Harry's talkin' Canadian Monopoly money, Dave.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Denny Wheeler

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:36:34 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
>> modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw & beans
>> for me usually.

>Sheesh, I need to up my prices. :-)

Not for a couple or three weeks, okay? (once I get over to
Wenatchee... <g>)

Hm. Maybe I'll get over there the 16th or 23rd. Gotta plan a day off
and make a good trip of it.

--
-denny-

"I don't like it when a whole state starts
acting like a marital aid."
"John R. Campbell" in a Usenet post.
BOB

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
>
>> That's quite modest, Nick. Our local Pit charges ten bucks for a
>> modest amount of PP or brisket on a bun with two sides [slaw &
>> beans
>> for me usually.

> Sheesh, I need to up my prices. :-)
> --
> Dave
> Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que
> http://davebbq.com/

Haven't we been telling you this since you first posted your
menu/price list?

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Walter H. Lewis III

I guess I wasn't really clear, I gave a ball park, cause I was looking
for a ball park answer. Son is having "friends" over and were just
trying to cover costs -- or at least that's may take on it. I'm
hauling down the cooker " so's I can visit the boy" and he's getting
the pig and vittles and I'm goinna direct as pit boss. I'm getting
too old to stay up all night tending a pig and then go to a football
game the next day.

So I know it depends on the cost of the pig and the beans etc, but if
He determines a reasonably close NUMBER of people the price per peson
should be stable no matter if it's 50 or 200.

this is NOT a commercial venture, just a "back yard" barbecue and
"friends" are chipping in to cover costs.

Thanks for the input.

Walt

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 10:47:48 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Walter H. Lewis III wrote:
>
>> Can someone give a ball park for charge per person to cover ALL
>> expenses?

>It depends. Does he already have the commisary-health inspection-food
>handlers permit-portable handwash sink/grey water collection-buisiness
>licenses, etc in place, or will he need to do this as part of this one
>outing? Napkins, food containers for guests, wet wipes, condiments, cost of
>fuel for the cooker, etct. Not to mention the cost of gas just to get there
>and back is anyone's guess at this point
>
>I guess the thing is this --- you haven't told us what the cost of goods
>will be, so it would be impossible to give you even a ballpark figure.

Dave Bugg

BOB wrote:

> Haven't we been telling you this since you first posted your
> menu/price list?

:-)

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Dave Bugg

Walter H. Lewis III wrote:

> this is NOT a commercial venture, just a "back yard" barbecue and
> "friends" are chipping in to cover costs.
>
> Thanks for the input.

Then the answer is real simple: add up the costs, and divide by the number
of guests. But regardless of what *you* might call it, most health
districts would call it a concession.

--
Dave
Dave's Pit-Smoked Bar-B-Que

Larry

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 09:49:08 -0700, "Dave Bugg" >
wrote:

>Walter H. Lewis III wrote:
>
>> this is NOT a commercial venture, just a "back yard" barbecue and
>> "friends" are chipping in to cover costs.
>>
>> Thanks for the input.

>Then the answer is real simple: add up the costs, and divide by the number
>of guests. But regardless of what *you* might call it, most health
>districts would call it a concession.

Our city shut down a children's lemonade stand yesterday.

Larry > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> >Walter H. Lewis III wrote:
> >
> >> this is NOT a commercial venture, just a "back yard" barbecue and
> >> "friends" are chipping in to cover costs.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the input.

> >Then the answer is real simple: add up the costs, and divide by the
> >number of guests. But regardless of what *you* might call it, most
> >health districts would call it a concession.

> Our city shut down a children's lemonade stand yesterday.

LMAO, NOT! Your tax dollars at work. ;-(