Old 31-08-2007, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Cook-Along planned for Chris's New Mexico Cook-in!

I am told Chris's "Cook-in" in New Mexico has officially started g.
At least that's the latest word on the cyber street (hehehe). To make
her "New Mexico Cook-In" even more fun and adventurous, what say
everyone to a 'cook-along' as well? I'm game I intend a grilling
marathon session - chicken, pork and beef tenderloins, and shrimp - and
that's just for me! I may even make some potato salad.

The "big day" for the "New Mexico Cook-Along for Chris's Cook-in" is
this Sunday, September 2, 2007. No rules or a particular time for
Sunday's cook-along, just make whatever you'd like to bring if it were
possible to be there in person (I would be there too, but I haven't won
the lottery, yet). Then, everyone can share their virtual dishes with
everyone else in the #rec.food.cooking chatroom, which I'm sure will be
hopping with a lot of buzz about the goings-on and food and drink(s).
The more, the merrier!

As usual, information about 'real time' chatting in #rec.food.cooking
can be found here --- http://www.recfoodcooking.com/chat.html ----.
It'll be wonderful to hear about who has cooked what, etc. Don't forget
to post recipes to RFC, too. Mark your calendars

Sky, who looks forward to the virtual sights,
sounds, and wonderful aromas at the Cook-in!!

P.S. No, I won't eat all that grilled stuff at once G. Most will be
left-overs for the entire week.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Old 31-08-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky said...

[...]

Well, but... you give me homework today and it's due on Sunday??? vbg

I ain't done nuthin' new since gumbo!

I was hoping to sit in the La-Z-Boy recliner on Sunday and watch the Cook-
In's roving reporter videos flood into youtube.com.

Maybe I'll do a potato soup!?!

Andy
Old 31-08-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:28:53 -0500, Sky
wrote:

I am told Chris's "Cook-in" in New Mexico has officially started g.
At least that's the latest word on the cyber street (hehehe).

Well..not actually. Still waiting for Edrena Jones to arrive....

However, I just made Pimento Cheese!! I put a fair amount of tabasco
in it....so it has a nice little tingle to it. It's sitting in the
fridge now, waiting for any and all comers..... Now the big
question...should I serve it with crackers, or stuffed in celery?? I
am thinking crackers....at least for now....

Next up: something called Faux Gras... It's from Michel Richard's new
book, Happy in The Kitchen. It has a ton of butter and cream in
it....

Christine
Old 31-08-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:44:50 -0500, Andy q wrote:

Sky said...

Well, but... you give me homework today and it's due on Sunday??? vbg

I ain't done nuthin' new since gumbo!

I was hoping to sit in the La-Z-Boy recliner on Sunday and watch the Cook-
In's roving reporter videos flood into youtube.com.

Maybe I'll do a potato soup!?!

Andy

If you were coming to the cook-in, what would you be fixing?

Make that...

Christine
Old 31-08-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:44:50 -0500, Andy q wrote:

Sky said...

Well, but... you give me homework today and it's due on Sunday??? vbg

I ain't done nuthin' new since gumbo!

I was hoping to sit in the La-Z-Boy recliner on Sunday and watch the

Cook-
In's roving reporter videos flood into youtube.com.

Maybe I'll do a potato soup!?!

Andy

If you were coming to the cook-in, what would you be fixing?

Make that...

Christine

Christine,

I've never had potato soup. I'll make that!

Andy
(Dusting off the Dutch oven)

Old 31-08-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" wrote in message
[...]

Great idea Sky, I'll be thinking of what to bring..
I may even get round to posting a pic or 2, just so that everyone can enjoy!
My painting and decorating is due to be finished tomorrow, just in time for
new carpet on Tuesday.
Maybe cookies and brownies, I feel the need for chocolate and sugar!

Sarah

Old 01-09-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sky wrote:

just make whatever you'd like to bring if it were possible to be
there in person

I'll take a package of frozen pirohy out of the freezer on Saturday
night. And I'll have it for breakfast on Sunday morning.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
For your listening pleasu http://www.am1500.com/pcast/80509.mp3 --
Old 01-09-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Sky wrote:

just make whatever you'd like to bring if it were possible to be
there in person

I'll take a package of frozen pirohy out of the freezer on Saturday
night. And I'll have it for breakfast on Sunday morning.

I have company coming for the long weekend (a friend recently written
about in the Sept issue of "Details" mens magazine so I want to spoil
him a bit) so I'm making that wonderful Penzey's Ginger Pear Coffee Cake
for breakfast tomorrow.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Pear Ginger Coffee Cake

Recipe By :Penzeys (Early Summer 2003) Catalog
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Breakfast Cakes

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour -- sifted
1 1/2 cups pears, peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2" cube
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar -- (mixed my own)
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger -- finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 glass pan and set aside.
Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk and set aside
Cream the shortening, salt and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Alternately add the buttermilk and flour to the mixing bowl, beating well after each addition.
Fold in the pears and pour into greased pan. Mix together the cinnamon sugar and chopped cystallized ginger. Sprinkle evenly over the top of cake.
Bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:28:53 -0500, Sky
wrote:

snip

The "big day" for the "New Mexico Cook-Along for Chris's Cook-in" is
this Sunday, September 2, 2007. No rules or a particular time for
Sunday's cook-along, just make whatever you'd like to bring if it were
possible to be there in person (I would be there too, but I haven't won
the lottery, yet). Then, everyone can share their virtual dishes with
everyone else in the #rec.food.cooking chatroom, which I'm sure will be
hopping with a lot of buzz about the goings-on and food and drink(s).
The more, the merrier!

My plan was to be there. I got sideswiped by an enormous work project
that will easily take me through next week and beyond. But even more
than that, I had an "episode" post-bike-commute whereby I managed to
TWICE pass out. Smacked my head on the asphalt both times and have
some impressive lumps on my head to prove it. Had to go to the ER for
a CT scan to rule out "brain bleed" (wouldn't YOU go to the ER if your
doctor told you that had to be ruled out???!?) Diagnosed with a
concussion and a "helluva pair of cranial goose eggs". And a MIGHTILY
sore tailbone!

Sigh. I'm just gonna take care of myself this w/e. You lot have fun,
I'm with ya in spirit.

Hard-headed TammyM
Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I am told Chris's "Cook-in" in New Mexico has officially started g.
At least that's the latest word on the cyber street (hehehe).

Well..not actually. Still waiting for Edrena Jones to arrive....

However, I just made Pimento Cheese!! I put a fair amount of tabasco
in it....so it has a nice little tingle to it. It's sitting in the
fridge now, waiting for any and all comers..... Now the big
question...should I serve it with crackers, or stuffed in celery?? I
am thinking crackers....at least for now....

Next up: something called Faux Gras... It's from Michel Richard's new
book, Happy in The Kitchen. It has a ton of butter and cream in
it....

Oooooooooooooooo, now THIS I'll be interested in!!

TammyM

Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:15:45 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:28:53 -0500, Sky
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh Tammy. I'm so sorry to hear that. We were talking about you
yesterday and how we'll miss seeing you and the Demo Dollies.
Please take care.
koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/01

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

But even more
than that, I had an "episode" post-bike-commute whereby I managed to
TWICE pass out. Smacked my head on the asphalt both times and have
some impressive lumps on my head to prove it. Had to go to the ER for
a CT scan to rule out "brain bleed" (wouldn't YOU go to the ER if your
doctor told you that had to be ruled out???!?) Diagnosed with a
concussion and a "helluva pair of cranial goose eggs". And a MIGHTILY
sore tailbone!

Switch to a tricycle. :-p

ObFood: Beetroot, red onion, red cabbage, crème fraîche and chervil,
from _Beyond Nose to Tail_ by Fergus Henderson & Justin Piers Gellatly.

Victor

Beetroot, Red Onion, Red Cabbage, Crème Fraîche and Chervil
To serve six

2 raw beetroots, peeled and finely grated
1/4 raw red cabbage with its core cut out, very finely sliced
1 small red onion, cut in half from top to bottom and finely sliced
6 healthy dollops of crème fraîche
2 healthy bunches of chervil, picked

Dressing
healthy splashes of extra virgin olive oil
a little gesture of balsamic vinegar
a small handful of extra-fine capers
sea salt and black pepper

Too often you are offered a fait accompli on a plate, a weave of
ingredients in which your only involvement will be to make a mess of it,
with the inevitable intervention of your knife and fork. Well, here is
a salad that welcomes the messing-up process.

Mix everything together for the dressing. Toss all your raw red
vegetables in the dressing, then on six plates place a bushel of this
red mixture. Next to this, nustle your blob of crème fraîche as if the
two ingredients were good friends, not on top of each other as if they
were lovers. Finally, a clump of the chervil rested next to the other
ingredients in the friendly fashion.

A very striking salad ready for the eater to mess up.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" wrote in message
I got sideswiped by an enormous work project
that will easily take me through next week and beyond. But even more
than that, I had an "episode" post-bike-commute whereby I managed to
TWICE pass out. Smacked my head on the asphalt both times and have
some impressive lumps on my head to prove it. Had to go to the ER for
a CT scan to rule out "brain bleed" (wouldn't YOU go to the ER if your
doctor told you that had to be ruled out???!?) Diagnosed with a
concussion and a "helluva pair of cranial goose eggs". And a MIGHTILY
sore tailbone!

..

Hard-headed TammyM

Sorry to hear about your Fall.

Tammy, this happened to me about 10 years ago -- I had a good bike, got on
it after some time off, within 2 minutes, I landed face down in a ditch of
water. DH was standing by -- I can't recall if he was laughing. He wasn't
sure whether to pick me up or not .

I decided I couldn't handle the bigger bike, so I bought a mountain bike,
got on it and went down again. That was it -- I must've forgotten how to
ride.

You take care -- wear your helmets, one for your head and one for your butt.
Dee Dee