Old 24-11-2005, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Default Cook ... cook ... cook ... post ... cook

I'm taking a break from cooking to dash off this quick note. Here's what
I'm making:

Deviled Eggs
Parmesan Crisps

Creamy Chestnut-Arugula Soup

Hot Melon Salad on Field Greens

Goose Breast with Blackberry Sauce
Thyme Popovers

Green Beans with Butter, Lemon, and Bacon
Parsnip-Potato Purée

Spicy Sweet-Potato Pie (contains habañero peppers)
Pandora's Black Pear Tart with Gran Marnier Zabaglione
Trio of Ice Creams: Vanilla, Maple, and Butter-Pecan
Whipped Cream

I'm done with the desserts, the pre-meal munchies, the green beans, and the
soup. (I particularly like the soup. It's lucky to have survived the
night.) The field greens are ready to go, but the melon part of the salad
is a stir-fry, so I'm not going to make it until just before it's time to
eat. The popovers likewise should be eaten almost as soon as they come out
of the oven, and the potato-parsnip purée gets kind of waxy if you make it
too far ahead. The goose will only need another twenty minutes or so, and
that will be on the stovetop (and it's too early to do that). Thus, I have
time to write this message and tell you all that it's great to be me! :-þ

Bob

Old 24-11-2005, 11:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Teri

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote in message
I'm taking a break from cooking to dash off this quick note. Here's what
I'm making:

Deviled Eggs
Parmesan Crisps

[snip yummy food]

What's a parmesan crisp? it *sounds* good.
Teri

Old 25-11-2005, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 03:14:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob
Terwilliger?

[...]

Everything sounds good, but the goose breast with blackberry sauce sounds
fantastic!

Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Old 25-11-2005, 01:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bronwyn

What is the Hot Melon Salad? Sounds interesting!

By the by, I must say as an Aussie, I can't believe the effort that
goes into all your TG dinners - yes I know you all love cooking,
but.... the number of dishes... You and your gastronome guests are very
fortunate.
Our Christmas dinners are not that impressive (the only festive dinner
for the year) (other than ones I cook every night, hehehe!)
Who will put their hand up to invite me and DH to TG next year? This
is *almost* a serious question, we would love to be part of someone's
TG. I have spent 3 x Xmas in the US before I was married - Niagara
(ok, the Canuk side), Co Fairfax Va x 2 - with friends.

I just love reading everyone's posts at this time of the year.
Cheers
Bronwyn

Old 25-11-2005, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
A.C.

Teri wrote:

What's a parmesan crisp? it *sounds* good.
Teri

the ones i'm thinking of are just a blob of shredded parmesan cheese on a silpat
or parchment paper then baked off until they kinda melt and become crispy.
they're very tasty! if you get to them while they're still warm, you can mold
them into different shapes. very cool in my opinion

Old 25-11-2005, 04:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 09:40:33a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

Wayne Boatwright looking for trouble wrote in
:

[...]

I've never done just the breast. Have you? I wonder if it's less greasy
than the whole goose.

No, I haven't. I often do just a turkey breast, though, and it's far less
greasy than the whole turkey. Goose, in general, is greasier.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Old 25-11-2005, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

Default Jam Sauce for Poultry? (Was Cook ... cook ... cook ... post ... cook)

One time on Usenet, "Bob Terwilliger" said:

snip amazing menu

Goose Breast with Blackberry Sauce

This sounds wonderful, and reminded me of a question I've got for
RFCers: I have some raspberry jam I want to use up and thought about
making a sauce for chicken. Beef marinades are pretty easy -- good
vinegar, oil, aromatics (onion, lemon, etc.), and seasoning. But IIRC,
vinegar isn't a good idea for chicken. Or am I thinking of something
else? What would you do to turn regular jam into a nice sauce?

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Old 25-11-2005, 04:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" wrote in message
"Bob Terwilliger" looking for trouble
wrote in :

[...]

That soup sounds like was fantastic. Your whole menu sounds great. I'm

not
a big goose fan. I made one a long time ago and it was, well, terrible. I
may have to do a duck for Xmas at mother's. She can't cook, not that I
can. Mom is having the usual standing rib roast and I assume all the

sides.
I'm taking the fixings for my cranberry relish which no one eats. I think

fat mallard will suit. Just might have to find one on my travels over the
month. I'll probably be too sore to cook by then I'll be spending

most
of the month at a friend's house. She has a big horse farm. I'll either
get kicked, bitten or fall. All three might happen. I am really looking
forward to it Oh, I'll still be posting the whole time. My headers may
look differently but it'll still be me. I can just see the RFC eyes
rolling LOL

Michael

--

You disappeared for about 6 weeks during the summer to the horse farm,
didn't you? I rememer that!

kili

Old 25-11-2005, 05:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

S'mee wrote:
One time on Usenet, "Bob Terwilliger" said:

snip amazing menu

Goose Breast with Blackberry Sauce

This sounds wonderful, and reminded me of a question I've got for
RFCers: I have some raspberry jam I want to use up and thought about
making a sauce for chicken. Beef marinades are pretty easy -- good
vinegar, oil, aromatics (onion, lemon, etc.), and seasoning. But IIRC,
vinegar isn't a good idea for chicken. Or am I thinking of something
else? What would you do to turn regular jam into a nice sauce?

I've done raspberry jam with lime juice and chili powder for a quick sauce for
both chicken and pork. I just add lime juice to the jam until it becomes thin
enough and add chili powder to taste. I use Penzey's chili con carne because
it has good flavor with no heat and I can add and adjust the heat with
cayenne.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 25-11-2005, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, The Bubbo said:
S'mee wrote:
One time on Usenet, "Bob Terwilliger" said:

snip amazing menu

Goose Breast with Blackberry Sauce

This sounds wonderful, and reminded me of a question I've got for
RFCers: I have some raspberry jam I want to use up and thought about
making a sauce for chicken. Beef marinades are pretty easy -- good
vinegar, oil, aromatics (onion, lemon, etc.), and seasoning. But IIRC,
vinegar isn't a good idea for chicken. Or am I thinking of something
else? What would you do to turn regular jam into a nice sauce?

I've done raspberry jam with lime juice and chili powder for a quick sauce for
both chicken and pork. I just add lime juice to the jam until it becomes thin
enough and add chili powder to taste. I use Penzey's chili con carne because
it has good flavor with no heat and I can add and adjust the heat with
cayenne.

That sounds really good, thanks!

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Old 25-11-2005, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Michael wrote:

I've never done just the breast. Have you? I wonder if it's less greasy
than the whole goose.

The recipe calls for you to pull off all the fat and just cook the breast
muscles. It's dark meat but definitely not greasy. The legs are used in a
different recipe and the rest of the goose (sans skin) is used to make
stock. I'm going to render the goose fat out of the skin so I'll have it on
hand for cooking potatoes or for confit.

Bob

Old 25-11-2005, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Teri wrote:

What's a parmesan crisp? it *sounds* good.

It's also simple: Shred Parmesan cheese. Put a Silpat into a sheet pan. Put
mounds of the cheese onto the Silpat and bake at 375°F until the mounds
flatten out and the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to
cool slightly. (If you like, you can shape them while they're still warm.)
Store between paper towels in an airtight container.

Bob

Old 25-11-2005, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Bronwyn wrote:

What is the Hot Melon Salad? Sounds interesting!

I got the recipe off FoodTV.com; it's from "Good Eats." Here it is, but I
have to say that it wasn't my favorite part of the meal:

Good Eats Hot Melon Salad

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, sliced into thin rounds
16 ounces medium-diced melon, approximately 2 cups
1 tablespoon fresh basil, cut into chiffonade
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted

Heat a large saute pan or wok over high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the
olive oil, followed by the onion, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, moving the
pan continually. Add the melon and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes or until
the melon starts to take on color. Add the basil, salt, and pepper and
continue to cook for another minute. Add the vinegar to the pan and toss to
combine. Pour mixture onto a serving platter, sprinkle with the cheese and
pine nuts, and serve immediately.

Bob

Old 26-11-2005, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

[parmesan crisps]

I have made these and I'm thinking Bob is talking the same thing. They are
soooo easy to make and so good. You just shred the cheese (I have to add
some onion but it's a personal thang , and dump it into flattish clumps
on the pan. Bake 'em at like 350 until they look like you like them. I
like mine totally crisp but that's just me.

These sounded so interesting that I did a google images search on them,
and the first link was to semihomemade.com. I laughed.

serene