Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

Default Looking for my Mom's kitchen scale

I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
things, but nothing I am looking for.

For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
operate, fool-proof, etc.

The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.

You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
this:

measuring
\ cup / sliding adjustable
\ / pivot counterweight
\__/ ____ ____
|===============| |=======####
balance beam \/

Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
showed milliliters. That's OK.

Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?

-A
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article >, (axlq)
wrote:

> I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
> things, but nothing I am looking for.
>
> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> operate, fool-proof, etc.
>
> The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
> one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
> sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
> on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
> it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
> in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.
>
> You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
> on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
> until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
> sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
> pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
> this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
> Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
> marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
> showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
> Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
> on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?
>
> -A

Try a Scientific supply.
Mine is metal, otherwise knows as a triple beam balance.

It was laboratory surplus.

Works great.

My sister uses it to measure soap making ingredients.

I have a regular brass spring scale that has both standard and metric
measurements.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:
> (axlq) wrote:
>
> >For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> >useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> >mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> >operate, fool-proof, etc.

I'd think your local drug dealer could help you with one of those.

> I've never seen the one you are searching for. But there are some
> mechanical kitchen scales at Amazon. I own this one. which does the
> job well:http://www.amazon.com/Salter-11-Poun...n-Stainless/dp...

Lee Vally has a nice kitchen scale too.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,44734

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 04:13:12 +0000 (UTC), (axlq)
wrote:

>I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
>things, but nothing I am looking for.
>
>For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
>useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
>mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
>operate, fool-proof, etc.
>
>The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
>one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
>sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
>on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
>it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
>in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.
>
>You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
>on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
>until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
>sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
>pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
>this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
>Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
>marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
>showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
>Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
>on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?
>
>-A

Hello Axlq,

I don't know if the "single-beam balance" is still sold, though
triple-beam ("trip") balances are readily available. A trip balance
has three beams and three weights; 100g, 10g, 1g is common.

I had to use trip balances in high school chemistry. Today's
electronic balances are SOOOO much more convenient (trust me; I've
taught chemistry for mumble-mumble years). My electronic kitchen
scale was under $20, and I can do much the same as you did with your
mom's balance. You use what is called a "tare" button on the balance.

Want to weigh 750 g flour?
--Push ON button. Balance reads 0g.
--Put the cup or bowl on the balance. Now it reads something more,
say 224 g
--Press TARE. The balance again reads 0g. It's automatically
subtracted the weight of your cup/bowl.
--Spoon in flour. When you get close to 750 g, slow down. Stop when
it reads 750 g. Done.
--Need to weigh another ingredient? Just put the new cup/bowl on the
balance and TARE again. Reads zero again. Go for it.

My scale will weigh up to 5000 grams to plus or minus a gram. When
making bread I can weigh both the flour and the yeast if I want...

Hope this helps -- Terry

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

axlq > writes:

> I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
> things, but nothing I am looking for.

I'm surprised you can still get them. After all, people might use
them for making druuuuugs.

Geoff

--
"That's like using a condom *and* abstinence
to prevent pregnancy." -- Andy Banta

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking
SMS SMS is offline

axlq wrote:
> I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
> things, but nothing I am looking for.
>
> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> operate, fool-proof, etc.
>
> The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
> one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
> sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
> on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
> it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
> in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.
>
> You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
> on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
> until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
> sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
> pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
> this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
> Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
> marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
> showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
> Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
> on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?
>
> -A

Well this doesn't have the pivot, but it may be similar:

"http://www.saveonscales.com/product_myweigh_triple_beam_balance_scale.html"
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 9:13 pm, (axlq) wrote:
> I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
> things, but nothing I am looking for.
>
> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> operate, fool-proof, etc.

That's un-American.

> The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
> one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
> sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
> on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
> it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
> in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.
>
> You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
> on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
> until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
> sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
> pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
> this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
> Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
> marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
> showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
> Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
> on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?
>
> -A

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> [...]

> taught chemistry for mumble-mumble years). My electronic kitchen
> scale was under $20, and I can do much the same as you did with your
> mom's balance. You use what is called a "tare" button on the balance.
>
> Want to weigh 750 g flour?
> --Push ON button. Balance reads 0g.
> --Put the cup or bowl on the balance. Now it reads something more,
> say 224 g
> --Press TARE. The balance again reads 0g. It's automatically
> subtracted the weight of your cup/bowl.
> --Spoon in flour. When you get close to 750 g, slow down. Stop when
> it reads 750 g. Done.
> --Need to weigh another ingredient? Just put the new cup/bowl on the
> balance and TARE again. Reads zero again. Go for it.
>
> My scale will weigh up to 5000 grams to plus or minus a gram. When
> making bread I can weigh both the flour and the yeast if I want...

I have to concur with Terry.
While I do have a triple beam balance (lab surplus), the digital scales
we use at work are a lot less hassle.

Try ebay.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

I really appreciate all the replies.

However, I wasn't looking for a triple-beam balance or a digital
scale; I know where to get those, and I came across dozens while
searching for the specific single-beam balance scale I described,
which balances on your countertop.

Although I'll probably end up getting a digital scale for $30 or so,
I was interested in this cheap plastic beam balance scale mostly for
sentimental reasons (because my Mom used one for over 40 years) and
partly for its engineering simplicity and elegance.

-A

In article >, axlq > wrote:

> measuring
> \ cup / sliding
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

axlq wrote:

> Although I'll probably end up getting a digital scale for $30 or so,
> I was interested in this cheap plastic beam balance scale mostly for
> sentimental reasons (because my Mom used one for over 40 years) and
> partly for its engineering simplicity and elegance.
>
> -A
>
> In article >, axlq > wrote:
>> measuring
>> \ cup / sliding
>> \ / pivot counterweight
>> \__/ ____ ____
>> |===============| |=======####
>> balance beam \/

Its been a few years but I recall seeing them in catalogs geared to
science and brain toy type catalogs. Have you tried a teacher supply
store or catalog?

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

axlq > wrote:

> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> operate, fool-proof, etc.

Is this anything like what you are looking for?

<http://www.pennscale.com/bakers_scales.htm>

<http://www.pennscale.com/heirloom_scales.htm>

Victor
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 12:13?am, (axlq) wrote:
> I went looking online for kitchen scales today. Lots of digital
> things, but nothing I am looking for.
>
> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
> operate, fool-proof, etc.
>
> The whole thing was plastic. It consisted of a measuring cup at
> one end of a balance beam, a counterweight at the other end, and a
> sliding pivot in the middle, on which the whole scale would balance
> on your countertop. The sliding piece had a small bubble-level in
> it. Well, not all plastic; the counterweight clearly had some metal
> in it and the bubble-level contained liquid.
>
> You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
> on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
> until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
> sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
> pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
> this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
> Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
> marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
> showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
> Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
> on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?

Don't know why you would want one other than as a conversation piece,
but they are readily available. I think for general kitchen use a
mechanical dial scale is most advantageous. Digital scales are good
too but unless you use it often you'll still be changing worn batterys
and for nothing.

http://www.fantes.com/scales.htm#balance

Sheldon

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack > wrote:

>axlq > wrote:

>> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
>> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
>> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
>> operate, fool-proof, etc.

>Is this anything like what you are looking for?

I get the impression the OP is describing a balance with no
base, in which the knife-edge lay directly upon a surface such
as a counter.

Steve
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Pope > wrote:
>Victor Sack > wrote:
>
>>axlq > wrote:

>>> For the past 40 years my mother had (from Germany) this incredibly
>>> useful kitchen scale. It needed no batteries, had no moving
>>> mechanism (just a couple parts you move yourself), simple to
>>> operate, fool-proof, etc.

>>Is this anything like what you are looking for?

>I get the impression the OP is describing a balance with no
>base, in which the knife-edge lay directly upon a surface such
>as a counter.

Exactly!

The "knife edge" is actually a rounded thing, and you slide it along the
beam to balance it. The beam has weight readings written along its top,
and the knife-edge slider thing has a mark on it so you can read the
weight.

-A
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:

>Don't know why you would want one other than as a conversation piece,
>but they are readily available.

Where? Mind you, this is a single beam balance with no base, in
which the balance point (knife-edge, pivot, whatever you call it)
rests on the countertop. It's even more efficient than a beam
balance with a base (less moving parts, and less total parts),
lightweight and compact.

>I think for general kitchen use a mechanical dial scale is most
>advantageous. Digital scales are good too but unless you use it
>often you'll still be changing worn batterys and for nothing.

Well, I *did* run across a digital scale that has no batteries;
you simply twist part of it, and that action charges a capacitor
sufficiently to power the unit long enough to tare the scale and
weigh something. Pretty cool concept:

http://www.designboom.com/contest/vi...em_pk=7832&p=1

....but, unfortunately, only a concept at this time. Not for sale.

-A

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 12, 9:13 pm, (axlq) wrote:

> You set the sliding thing to point at the weight you want (written
> on the balance beam) and fill the measuring cup with ingredients
> until the bubble-level shows it's balanced. The scale will then be
> sitting on your countertop rocking back and forth on the sliding
> pivot. In ASCII art (fixed-width font) it looked something like
> this:
>
> measuring
> \ cup / sliding adjustable
> \ / pivot counterweight
> \__/ ____ ____
> |===============| |=======####
> balance beam \/
>
> Of course, being from Germany, the weights on the balance beam were
> marked off in grams, and the volume increments on the measuring cup
> showed milliliters. That's OK.
>
> Try as I might, I can't find this device ANYWHERE. Not on eBay, not
> on my Google searches, noplace. Are these still sold anymore?

If the cup holds no more than 125g, you want a Dr. Oetker Klein-
Balkenwaage (Small balance scale). I see there's one offered online
for $3.99. Mine was $10.50 back in the day. Dr. Oetker has gone all-
electronic now, unfortunately.

You might want to check homebrewing stores for battery-free scales --
that's where I originally got mine. And, of course, head shops.

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

(axlq) wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> >Don't know why you would want one other than as a conversation piece,
> >but they are readily available.

> Where?

I included a link... perhaps your contacts are in backwards.

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:
>(axlq) wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> >Don't know why you would want one other than as a conversation piece,
>> >but they are readily available.

>> Where?

>I included a link... perhaps your contacts are in backwards.

I did look at that link, thanks. The page didn't show what I described.
The balance beam I described was a single beam with no base; it balances
on the countertop.
-A

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
> wrote:
>If the cup holds no more than 125g, you want a Dr. Oetker Klein-
>Balkenwaage (Small balance scale). I see there's one offered online
>for $3.99. Mine was $10.50 back in the day. Dr. Oetker has gone all-
>electronic now, unfortunately.

Hm. A google search for "Dr. Oetker" "klein balkenwaage" didn't turn
anything up. Thanks though. I do believe it held more than 125g
though. The cup on the end of the beam held about 2 cups, I recall.
That's about 400 ml, which if filled with water would be 400g.

-A
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article >, axlq > wrote:

>Hm. A google search for "Dr. Oetker" "klein balkenwaage" didn't turn
>anything up. Thanks though. I do believe it held more than 125g
>though. The cup on the end of the beam held about 2 cups, I recall.
>That's about 400 ml, which if filled with water would be 400g.

I susepct your scale is a pretty obscure item. Nothing like it
turns up on any search.

Steve

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 2:08?pm, (axlq) wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Sheldon > wrote:
> >(axlq) wrote:

> >> Where?

> >I included a link... perhaps your contacts are in backwards.

> I did look at that link, thanks. The page didn't show what I described.
> The balance beam I described was a single beam with no base; it balances
> on the countertop.

Something at least 40 years old and made of plastic is very likely no
longer made, probably made only one run that year. If you could
supply a brand name, and/or a picture then perhaps folks could be more
helpful. Even ebay had nothing fitting your description.

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Sheldon > wrote:
>Something at least 40 years old and made of plastic is very likely no
>longer made, probably made only one run that year. If you could
>supply a brand name, and/or a picture then perhaps folks could be more
>helpful. Even ebay had nothing fitting your description.

I know. I've been hunting around for a picture, and failing to
find one. The ASCII art I posted is the best I could do.

I have seen these for sale as recently as 5 years ago (don't
remember if new or used). Wen I said my Mom has had one for 40
years, that doesn't mean the product was available 40 years ago and
not more recently. My wife insists she has seen them in stores in
Singapore.

-A
Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 16, 2:07 pm, (axlq) wrote:
> In article . com>,
>
> Sheldon > wrote:
> >Something at least 40 years old and made of plastic is very likely no
> >longer made, probably made only one run that year. If you could
> >supply a brand name, and/or a picture then perhaps folks could be more
> >helpful. Even ebay had nothing fitting your description.

> I know. I've been hunting around for a picture, and failing to
> find one. The ASCII art I posted is the best I could do.
>
> I have seen these for sale as recently as 5 years ago (don't
> remember if new or used). Wen I said my Mom has had one for 40
> years, that doesn't mean the product was available 40 years ago and
> not more recently. My wife insists she has seen them in stores in
> Singapore.
>
> -A

If you want 500 g, this looks like what you want. Searching
"balkenwaage" on eBay.de turned up this ex-commie kitchen scale:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-DDR-Balk...QQcmdZViewItem

Shipping to the US will be extra -- you'll have to contact the guy.

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 17, 1:09 pm, wrote (to axlq):

> If you want 500 g, this looks like what you want. Searching
> "balkenwaage" on eBay.de turned up this ex-commie kitchen scale:http://cgi.ebay.de/Original-DDR-Balk...VEB-Solidus_W0...
>
> Shipping to the US will be extra -- you'll have to contact the guy.- Hide quoted text -

This is the smaller one I was talking about; the one just like mine,
on eBay.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Oetker-Mini-S...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to ba.food,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>On Aug 17, 1:09 pm, wrote (to axlq):
>This is the smaller one I was talking about; the one just like mine,
>on eBay.com
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Dr-Oetker-Mini-S...QQcmdZViewItem

THAT'S IT!!!

At least, that's what looks like what my Mom had, only I'm pretty sure
hers had a bigger cup on the end; I recall it held 300-400 ml.

Thanks. At least I know what to look for now. It figures my Mom
would have it too (she's German). All these years, I didn't realize
it was a German product, because she bought it here in the U.S.

Big picture to compare with my ASCII art at the beginning of this
thread:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...?vvid=61251352

-A