Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

Default Kaffir Lime Leaves in Pennsylvania?

Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
plants seeds would be just as useful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

David wrote:
> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> plants seeds would be just as useful.

I get them at an Asian (Cambodian) market in South Philly. You can also
buy them frozen at various Asian markets. What (general) part of PA are
you in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

In article >,
George > wrote:

> David wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> > ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> > plants seeds would be just as useful.

> I get them at an Asian (Cambodian) market in South Philly. You can also
> buy them frozen at various Asian markets. What (general) part of PA are
> you in?

I live in the lehigh valley.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

David wrote:
> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> David wrote:
>>> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
>>> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
>>> plants seeds would be just as useful.

>> I get them at an Asian (Cambodian) market in South Philly. You can also
>> buy them frozen at various Asian markets. What (general) part of PA are
>> you in?

> I live in the lehigh valley.

Do you ever get into Philly or N Jersey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

"David" > wrote in message
news
> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> plants seeds would be just as useful.

Try http://www.toptropicals.com or http://www.logees.com (that one is in
Connecticut) for the plants. I've been thinking of picking one up for myself
next time I'm in Florida.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 15:46:00 -0400, David
> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
>ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
>plants seeds would be just as useful.

You'll need an Asian or Thai grocery store and even then, not all
carry the leaves (or fruit).

The trees are usually grown grafted. It has some nice leaves (sorry,
it is small and can not be depended upon to provide leaves) and I have
never gotten the dang thing to fruit.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 4:12 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> You'll need an Asian or Thai grocery store and even then, not all
> carry the leaves (or fruit).
>
> The trees are usually grown grafted. It has some nice leaves (sorry,
> it is small and can not be depended upon to provide leaves) and I have
> never gotten the dang thing to fruit.

My friend has a kaffir lime tree growing in a pot on her sundeck. It
has been grafted and the fruit is sort of poopless. The leaves are
quite heavenly, though.

I bet that it is not a fragile plant and would grow in many places in
the U.S., providing it's protected against winter freezes.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

In article >,
George > wrote:

> David wrote:
> > In article >,
> > George > wrote:

> >> I get them at an Asian (Cambodian) market in South Philly. You can also
> >> buy them frozen at various Asian markets. What (general) part of PA are
> >> you in?

> > I live in the lehigh valley.

> Do you ever get into Philly or N Jersey?

Yes, I visit Philadelphia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

> I bet that it is not a fragile plant and would grow in many places
> in the U.S., providing it's protected against winter freezes.

*sigh*

Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
restrictions.

Alas!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 7, 4:12 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> You'll need an Asian or Thai grocery store and even then, not all
>> carry the leaves (or fruit).
>>
>> The trees are usually grown grafted. It has some nice leaves (sorry,
>> it is small and can not be depended upon to provide leaves) and I have
>> never gotten the dang thing to fruit.

> My friend has a kaffir lime tree growing in a pot on her sundeck. It
> has been grafted and the fruit is sort of poopless. The leaves are
> quite heavenly, though.
>
> I bet that it is not a fragile plant and would grow in many places in
> the U.S., providing it's protected against winter freezes.
>
> Karen

Check out those two nurseries I cited. I never knew about weird citron and
Buddha's hand and so on.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Aug 2007 19:05:01 -0500, "David" > wrote:

>Karen wrote:
>
>> I bet that it is not a fragile plant and would grow in many places
>> in the U.S., providing it's protected against winter freezes.

>*sigh*
>
>Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
>restrictions.

So, what's the problem with that? We can buy frozen leaves in Asian
markets (California) just like anyplace else AND we can buy the trees
to plant.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 7, 5:05 pm, "David" > wrote:
> *sigh*
>
> Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
> restrictions.
>
> Alas!

well, I'm in Calif., and the kaffir lime tree I know lives in La
Honda. I will find out where it came from.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-08, Karen > wrote:
> On Aug 7, 5:05 pm, "David" > wrote:
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
>> restrictions.

> well, I'm in Calif., and the kaffir lime tree I know lives in La
> Honda. I will find out where it came from.

In Northern and Central CA, try your local nursery, which gets live
trees from Four Winds Growers in Fremont, CA. Everyone else, except
those who live in AZ, FL, and TX, can order them online:

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/ordering/outside.html

Learn about citrus scale. These trees are magnets, which is why those
3 citrus producing states don't want any imported. No steeenking
furiner scale!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 22:19:35 -0700, Karen > wrote:

>On Aug 7, 5:05 pm, "David" > wrote:
>> *sigh*
>>
>> Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
>> restrictions.
>>
>> Alas!

>well, I'm in Calif., and the kaffir lime tree I know lives in La
>Honda. I will find out where it came from.

I know where La Honda is, where are you?

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

In article >,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "David" > wrote in message
> news
> > Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> > ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> > plants seeds would be just as useful.

> Try http://www.toptropicals.com or http://www.logees.com (that one is in
> Connecticut) for the plants. I've been thinking of picking one up for myself
> next time I'm in Florida.
> Edrena

Thank you, the website http://www.logees.com has them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

David wrote:
> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> David wrote:

>>> I live in the lehigh valley.

>> Do you ever get into Philly or N Jersey?

> Yes, I visit Philadelphia.

There are a couple places I know to buy the leaves and one place had
plants.

The Thai vendor in the Reading Terminal Market always has them. I have
found them at the big Asian Market on 8th & Washington. There are some
Cambodian shops in South Philly around Wolf and 2nd that have them. And
to the North there is a Thai Market on Olney just off Broad that has the
leaves and plants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 23:40:33 -0000, Karen > wrote:

>On Aug 7, 4:12 pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> You'll need an Asian or Thai grocery store and even then, not all
>> carry the leaves (or fruit).
>>
>> The trees are usually grown grafted. It has some nice leaves (sorry,
>> it is small and can not be depended upon to provide leaves) and I have
>> never gotten the dang thing to fruit.

>My friend has a kaffir lime tree growing in a pot on her sundeck. It
>has been grafted and the fruit is sort of poopless. The leaves are
>quite heavenly, though.
>
>I bet that it is not a fragile plant and would grow in many places in
>the U.S., providing it's protected against winter freezes.
>
>Karen

I am in Northern NJ and I bring mine into the kitchen each winter.

The only problem is they are highly susceptible to scale, which, when
outdoors, seems to be taken care of adequately by natural predators,
but by the time spring rolls around, that poor tree , of the care it
has been given, looks the worse for wear.

This year's problem is where am I going to put the olive tree this
winter? It has gotten huge over the summer.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:14:52 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-08-08, Karen > wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 5:05 pm, "David" > wrote:
>>> *sigh*
>>>
>>> Apparently, it can't be shipped to California due to agricultural
>>> restrictions.

>> well, I'm in Calif., and the kaffir lime tree I know lives in La
>> Honda. I will find out where it came from.

>In Northern and Central CA, try your local nursery, which gets live
>trees from Four Winds Growers in Fremont, CA. Everyone else, except
>those who live in AZ, FL, and TX, can order them online:
>
>http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/ordering/outside.html
>
>Learn about citrus scale. These trees are magnets, which is why those
>3 citrus producing states don't want any imported. No steeenking
>furiner scale!
>
>nb

Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
kaffir lime.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-08, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
> kaffir lime.

Yeah, I just read. In response, I'll tell you I encountered the first
infestation while my new plant was indoors for the Winter. When I
went back to the nursery where I got it, I was told I had coddled it
and it needed to be outdoors to remain hardy. Whatever. It's not
that bad here in CA, but I can't imagine a tropical plant surviving
outdoors in, say, MN. Also, the idea of being outdoors providing
natural enemies to scale sounds grand, but I discovered otherwise.

My second infestation occured outdoors on my balcony. Seems ants just
LOVE scale and will go to great lengths to cultivate, spread, and
protect them. Why? Those little vampire vermin secrete a sticky
sweet liquid just like aphids. They are like a dairy herd to ants.
That's how I discovered scale in the first place. One day, after
ignoring the plant for a week, I noticed a shiny glaze on the plant
and the table beneath it. It looks like a sugar glaze and that's
basically what it is. IOW, it's a freaking food source to ants. I
now had to rid myself and my tree of ants AND scale.

The remedy to this problem is an oil based solution sprayed on the
plant. No need for a solution with a toxic insecticide (this is food,
remember). Just an oil based liquid that will suffocate the scale.
When they finally die, they will not just fall off, you must manually
scrape them off.

While I'm on it, one last issue for these dwarf citrus trees. Most
come in 20-24" diameter planter pots. These are too small. These
trees, despite being drawf, need a bigger pot or they will become
rootbound after about two years and start dropping leaves and die.
Get a three to three and half foot diameter planter pot or put them in
the ground.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:00:00 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2007-08-08, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
>> kaffir lime.

>Yeah, I just read. In response, I'll tell you I encountered the first
>infestation while my new plant was indoors for the Winter. When I
>went back to the nursery where I got it, I was told I had coddled it
>and it needed to be outdoors to remain hardy. Whatever. It's not
>that bad here in CA, but I can't imagine a tropical plant surviving
>outdoors in, say, MN.

That thing comes in before the first hard frost.

> Also, the idea of being outdoors providing
>natural enemies to scale sounds grand, but I discovered otherwise.
>
>My second infestation occured outdoors on my balcony. Seems ants just
>LOVE scale and will go to great lengths to cultivate, spread, and
>protect them. Why? Those little vampire vermin secrete a sticky
>sweet liquid just like aphids. They are like a dairy herd to ants.
>That's how I discovered scale in the first place. One day, after
>ignoring the plant for a week, I noticed a shiny glaze on the plant
>and the table beneath it. It looks like a sugar glaze and that's
>basically what it is. IOW, it's a freaking food source to ants. I
>now had to rid myself and my tree of ants AND scale.

I must admit that the ants love that tree.

>The remedy to this problem is an oil based solution sprayed on the
>plant. No need for a solution with a toxic insecticide (this is food,
>remember). Just an oil based liquid that will suffocate the scale.
>When they finally die, they will not just fall off, you must manually
>scrape them off.

Are you talking horticultural oil or maybe a nice mix of EVOO & a tad
of dish liquid?

OH, and by golly, we have done a lot of hand scraping. I finally
ditched a large Meyer lemon as I could no longer deal with the scale.
I have a large orchid collection that these trees shared the kitchen
with and scraping the tough leaves of citrus is easier than the soft
or almost succulent leaves of some orchids. I was losing too many
orchids.

>While I'm on it, one last issue for these dwarf citrus trees. Most
>come in 20-24" diameter planter pots. These are too small. These
>trees, despite being drawf, need a bigger pot or they will become
>rootbound after about two years and start dropping leaves and die.
>Get a three to three and half foot diameter planter pot or put them in
>the ground.

I do have the kaffir in a larger pot. It suffers over teh winter,
though and loses leaves. It rejuvenates itself magnificently each
spring/summer, though, so I do not complain.

No chance of in-the-ground planting it here in Northern NJ.

I grow lemon grass (it also winters over in the kitchen) and galangal,
too.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-08, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> I must admit that the ants love that tree.

They are the perfect indicator. If your tree has any ant traffic
whatsoever, the tree has scale on it somewhere. There is no other
reason for them to be there, as the tree itself has no particular
attraction to ants by itself.

> Are you talking horticultural oil.....

Yeah, that's it:

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortn...oilsprays.html

There are horticultural oils that do include insecticides which may be
more suitable for your larger meyer lemon.

> I do have the kaffir in a larger pot. It suffers over teh winter,
> though and loses leaves. It rejuvenates itself magnificently each
> spring/summer, though, so I do not complain.

Rootbound defoliation is more severe and noticable and the onset is
shockingly quick. I noticed in the span of just a couple days the
tree lost all but half dozen leaves, they turning cardboard beige and
dropping off by the dozens literally overnight. By time I got it to
the nursery for plant care lesson #3, I figured it was already too
late and was ready to purchase a replacement. But, one little sprig
survived and with the rootball unbound and refreshed with new soil,
the sucker jumped back like gangbusters. Hearty little suckers.
Gotta be to survive my inept care.

> I grow lemon grass (it also winters over in the kitchen) and galangal,
> too.

I'm impressed. I'll get back to you for advice after I get to CO.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

In article >,
David > wrote:

> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
> plants seeds would be just as useful.

You might find them at Wegman's. Pennsylvania has several Wegman's
supermarkets, so if a Wegman's is located in your area, check it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> David > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a reliable source of fresh kaffir lime leaves that
>> ships to Pennsylvania at a reasonable price? A source of kaffir lime
>> plants seeds would be just as useful.

> You might find them at Wegman's. Pennsylvania has several Wegman's
> supermarkets, so if a Wegman's is located in your area, check it out.

Good luck. I live in Virginia, but shop occasionally in Fairfax at many
ethnic stores, Turkish, Indian, Mid-eastern, Pakastani, all of them, plus
Wegmans, WF, TJ's, etc.
I was on a hunt for fresh kaffir lime leaves for a year -- I never found
them.
I'm out of the mood now.

It was the same with galangal. I used to get it -- no more; I searched the
stores for a number of times. But I'm about through with Asian anymore
anyway.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar > wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 01:14:52 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>>Learn about citrus scale. These trees are magnets, which is why those
>>3 citrus producing states don't want any imported. No steeenking
>>furiner scale!

>Ha, ha...I just posted about the problem I have with scale and my
>kaffir lime.

Any suggestions on what to do about scale? Our meyer lemon
has a bad case of it.

Steve