Iris

Default Kaffir lime leaves

Hi,

I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this
time around.

The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and
this recipe called for a few Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and
they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just me but my
husband noticed the same.

Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves
were bad? They looked fine, though.

I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir
leaves...

Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like
soap?

I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and
many of them call for Kaffir leaves.

Thanks in advance,

Iris
Saerah

Iris wrote in message >. ..
>Hi,
>
>I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this
>time around.
>
>The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and
>this recipe called for a few Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and
>they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just me but my
>husband noticed the same.
>
>Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves
>were bad? They looked fine, though.
>
>I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir
>leaves...
>
>Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like
>soap?
>
>I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and
>many of them call for Kaffir leaves.

Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent
of soap. try tasting a leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste,
leave 'em out.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

Hangovers only last a day, but a good drinking story lives on forever....

Daisy

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:34:54 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:

>Iris wrote in message >. ..
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm reposting this question. Hopefully, I'll get some answers this
>>time around.
>>
>>The other night I made a Thai red chicken curry with bamboo shoots and
>>this recipe called for a few Kaffir leaves. I used frozen leaves and
>>they made the dish smell like soap! I thought it was just me but my
>>husband noticed the same.
>>
>>Anybody else with the same experience? Could it be that the leaves
>>were bad? They looked fine, though.
>>
>>I've heard so much about the wonderful scent and flavor of the Kaffir
>>leaves...
>>
>>Maybe it's just like cilantro which to some people smells/tastes like
>>soap?
>>
>>I need to know because I am introducing Asian dishes into our diet and
>>many of them call for Kaffir leaves.
>>

>Kaffir Lime leaves have a unique scent that, to your nose, may be reminicent
>of soap. try tasting a leaf by itself. if you dont like the way they taste,
>leave 'em out.

I use Kaffir lime leaves a lot. I have a bush in my conservatory - I
bought it about 3 years ago and it was then about 15 inches high.
Now it is about 3 feet and in a big big pot. I don't see any
flowers, so probably no fruit. But the leaves are magnificent.
Before I got the plant, I bought them from the local greengrocer and
froze them. I found them just fine thawed from frozen. But fresh is
definitely best.

They do add such a lot to a Thai dish. So don't give up hope. I
believe the trick is to cut the leaves into strips and add to the
curry before the last long simmer. I do this. Leave the leaves in
overnight if you can but remove before serving.

If you are still unsure, try adding some fresh lime juice to the curry
instead of the lime leaves. But do persevere - they do give Thai
dishes that extra something.

Cheers and good cooking

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.