Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default On Topic - Recipe: Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce

Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets. Tomatoes aren't
far behind.

Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce

Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 7-31-2007
Servings: 4

1 medium onion sliced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 medium zucchini sliced thin
2 cups diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano
6 oz. spaghetti
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until tender-crisp. Add
zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer
uncovered 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on package and drain well. Remove
bay leaf from sauce; discard. Pour sauce over spaghetti and toss to
coat. Divide pasta into four portions. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese
atop each serving.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Taste, Sunday, September 11, 1994. Recipe from ³366
Low-Fat Brand-Name Recipes² by M. J. Smith.

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets. Tomatoes aren't
> far behind.
>
> Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce
>
> Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 7-31-2007
> Servings: 4
>
> 1 medium onion sliced
> 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
> 2 medium zucchini sliced thin
> 2 cups diced tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
> 1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano
> 6 oz. spaghetti
> 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>
> In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until tender-crisp. Add
> zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer
> uncovered 15 minutes.
>
> Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on package and drain well. Remove
> bay leaf from sauce; discard. Pour sauce over spaghetti and toss to
> coat. Divide pasta into four portions. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese
> atop each serving.

Doesn't the zucchini turn mushy after 15 minutes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

(snip)
> > In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until tender-crisp. Add
> > zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer
> > uncovered 15 minutes.

(more snippage)
> Doesn't the zucchini turn mushy after 15 minutes?

Probably.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets.
> Tomatoes aren't far behind.
>
> Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce
>
> Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller
> 7-31-2007 Servings: 4
>
> 1 medium onion sliced
> 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
> 2 medium zucchini sliced thin
> 2 cups diced tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 bay leaf
> 1/4 tsp. pepper
> 1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
> 1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano
> 6 oz. spaghetti
> 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>
> In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until
> tender-crisp.
> Add zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and
> oregano. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
>
> Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on package and
> drain well. Remove bay leaf from sauce; discard. Pour
> sauce over spaghetti and toss to coat. Divide pasta into
> four portions. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese atop each
> serving.

[..]

Would the zucchini be dissolving after the fifteen minutes? Sounds
more like a "zucchini pesto" almost.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> (snip)
>> > In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until tender-crisp.
>> > Add
>> > zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer
>> > uncovered 15 minutes.

> (more snippage)
>> Doesn't the zucchini turn mushy after 15 minutes?

> Probably.

Well then.....why include something in a recipe if it's going to produce an
annoying texture?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets. Tomatoes aren't
>> far behind.
>>
>> Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce
>>
>> Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller 7-31-2007
>> Servings: 4
>>
>> 1 medium onion sliced
>> 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
>> 2 medium zucchini sliced thin
>> 2 cups diced tomatoes
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1 bay leaf
>> 1/4 tsp. pepper
>> 1/4 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
>> 1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano
>> 6 oz. spaghetti
>> 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
>>
>> In a large skillet or pan, fry onion in hot oil until tender-crisp. Add
>> zucchini, tomatoes, salt, bay leaf, pepper, basil and oregano. Simmer
>> uncovered 15 minutes.
>>
>> Meanwhile, cook spaghetti as directed on package and drain well. Remove
>> bay leaf from sauce; discard. Pour sauce over spaghetti and toss to
>> coat. Divide pasta into four portions. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese
>> atop each serving.

> Doesn't the zucchini turn mushy after 15 minutes?

I make a summer skillet dish that contains zucchini and is a distant
relative of the above recipe. The zucchini can handle 2-3 reheatings
without turning to muxh. The key is to put the zucchini in last and cook it
al dente. That's what I'd do with the above recipe without even thinking
about it.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:18:25 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets. Tomatoes aren't
>far behind.
>
>Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce

snip recipe

> ‹‹‹‹‹

That is going into the file for used very soon.

Just finished triage on the tomatoes. I now have a 4 quart pot of
marinara sauce going.

Started thawing the pizza crust, the mozzarella is sitting on the
counter and I will dig out some ripe tomatoes and pick some basil.
Dessert will be the last of the watermelon from the garden.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> > Zucchini are in abundance at the local farmers markets.
> > Tomatoes aren't far behind.
> >
> > Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce

(sipped)
> Would the zucchini be dissolving after the fifteen minutes? Sounds
> more like a "zucchini pesto" almost.
>
> The Ranger

Not dissolved; more likely mushy, as Spareroom suggested.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

(snip)
> >> Doesn't the zucchini turn mushy after 15 minutes?

> > Probably.

> Well then.....why include something in a recipe if it's going to produce an
> annoying texture?

Maybe it doesn't annoy some people. Wouldn't bother me a bit. MOF, I'd
prefer it soft here. "At least it's about food."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf sf is offline

On Jul 31, 2:13 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > In article >,
> > > "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> (snip)

> > > Probably.

> > Well then.....why include something in a recipe if it's going to produce an
> > annoying texture?

> Maybe it doesn't annoy some people. Wouldn't bother me a bit. MOF, I'd
> prefer it soft here. "At least it's about food."
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com- story and
> pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Good Grief!!!! Some people will pick at any little thing. You aren't
forcing them to stick to the time stated in the recipe - especially
when they already know it's not going to produce a texture to their
liking.