Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default On Topic - Recipe: Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

This caught my fancy on the Ball food preserving site. I'll do it with
apricots instead of peaches, though. I think it will be good with
poultry or pork -- maybe shrimps, too.

Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce

Recipe By: posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-1-2007
Serving Size: Depends on your definition

Makes about 8 (8 oz) half pints

6 cups finely chopped pitted peeled peaches
(about 3 lb or 9 medium)
1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
(about 1 large)
1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 14 cloves)
1 1/4 cups honey
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot pepper flakes
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp salt

8 half pint glass preserving jars with lids (8 oz)
and bands

Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water
until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens to the
consistency of a thin commercial barbeque sauce, about 25 minutes.

Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air
bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until
fit is fingertip tight.

Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for
altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid
should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

Source: Ball website - freshpreserving.com
_____
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wow, that sounds good- I may have to try it. I did 2 batches of
apricot/pineapple jam in a BWB for the first time- I've used the
inversion method on raspberry jam. Very happy how they came out, so
I'm not a big chicken anymore! Thanks for the recipe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
merryb > wrote:

> Wow, that sounds good- I may have to try it. I did 2 batches of
> apricot/pineapple jam in a BWB for the first time- I've used the
> inversion method on raspberry jam. Very happy how they came out, so
> I'm not a big chicken anymore! Thanks for the recipe!

Apricot and pineapple would be good here, too. I'm glad you're doing
the boiling water bath. I've always figured that if you're cooking
empty jars, cooking filled ones is usually only another 10 minutes or so
and a small price for added assurance of a strong seal.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Apricot and pineapple would be good here, too. I'm glad you're doing
> the boiling water bath. I've always figured that if you're cooking
> empty jars, cooking filled ones is usually only another 10 minutes or so
> and a small price for added assurance of a strong seal.

Better safe than sorry, I guess. If you're going to all that work,
might as well insure yourself. It was cool how the lids popped as soon
as they were taken out. Now I need to try some pickles- I've been
looking in at the preserving group, and learning a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> This caught my fancy on the Ball food preserving site. I'll do it with
> apricots instead of peaches, though. I think it will be good with
> poultry or pork -- maybe shrimps, too.
>
> Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce
>
> Recipe By: posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-1-2007
> Serving Size: Depends on your definition
>
> Makes about 8 (8 oz) half pints
>
> 6 cups finely chopped pitted peeled peaches
> (about 3 lb or 9 medium)
> 1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
> (about 1 large)
> 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
> 3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 14 cloves)
> 1 1/4 cups honey
> 3/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
> 2 tsp hot pepper flakes
> 2 tsp dry mustard
> 2 tsp salt

If you put that all together with the fruit, peppers, and onions
COARSELY chopped it sounds like it would make a really tasty chutney.
If you are more traditional, use a mixture of peach or apricot and
mango, and maybe throw in a small handful of raisins that have been
plumped in hot orange juice. Hmmm....

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> This caught my fancy on the Ball food preserving site. I'll do it with
> apricots instead of peaches, though. I think it will be good with
> poultry or pork -- maybe shrimps, too.
>
> Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce
>
> Recipe By: posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8-1-2007
> Serving Size: Depends on your definition
>
> Makes about 8 (8 oz) half pints
>
> 6 cups finely chopped pitted peeled peaches
> (about 3 lb or 9 medium)
> 1 cup finely chopped seeded red bell pepper
> (about 1 large)
> 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
> 3 Tbsp finely chopped garlic (about 14 cloves)
> 1 1/4 cups honey
> 3/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
> 2 tsp hot pepper flakes
> 2 tsp dry mustard
> 2 tsp salt
>
> 8 half pint glass preserving jars with lids (8 oz)
> and bands
>
> Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water
> until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
>
> Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce
> heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens to the
> consistency of a thin commercial barbeque sauce, about 25 minutes.
>
> Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air
> bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until
> fit is fingertip tight.
>
> Process in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for
> altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid
> should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
>
> Source: Ball website - freshpreserving.com
> _____

Peaches, apricots, nectarines, all of the above, whatever, you won't be
disappointed (although I'd probably cut back on the honey to let the
fruit sweetness come through, and maybe add some lemon and/or lime juice
to get another note of tartness).

There's a guy who runs a BBQ stand in Leesburg, VA who has taken the
fruit-based BBQ sauce concept to a new level. Truly inspirational
stuff. He used to sell it by the jar, but seems to have stopped, at
least temporarily. No matter, he got me hooked on the approach, and
I've pretty much given up on the lowly tomato; lots of other fruits out
there to play around with. About the only thing I've tried so far that
was just so-so was cantaloupe (possibly because it was a bit overripe
and had a farily mushy texture).

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I just took 11 half pints from the waterbath. It's great and the recipe
> was merely a jumping off point. I used apricots, fresh and dried, and
> other stuff in addition to the ingredient list in the recipe. I had to
> do some improvising to get the consistency the way I wanted it.

When you take a recipe and alter it to your tastes, do you have to
adjust the boiling water bath time? If so, how do you determine how
long? Just curious..?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I just took 11 half pints from the waterbath. It's great and the recipe
> was merely a jumping off point. I used apricots, fresh and dried, and
> other stuff in addition to the ingredient list in the recipe. I had to
> do some improvising to get the consistency the way I wanted it.

Barb, did you re-hydrate the dried apricots? I'm thinking they would
be nice soaked in bourbon or Southern Comfort before cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I just took 11 half pints from the waterbath. It's great and the recipe
> > was merely a jumping off point. I used apricots, fresh and dried, and
> > other stuff in addition to the ingredient list in the recipe. I had to
> > do some improvising to get the consistency the way I wanted it.
> >

> When you take a recipe and alter it to your tastes, do you have to
> adjust the boiling water bath time? If so, how do you determine how
> long? Just curious..?

This has so much acid in it from fruit and vinegar (and I used less that
the amounts of the low acid vegetables they asked for) that I'm not
worried and processed for 15 minutes. I don't venture to anything I
consider marginal. That last is based on experience and stored
information that I can't cite. The r.f.p. FAQ file has a section about
comparing or troubleshooting recipes that aren't tested and blessed. 'D
I ever tell you what a great FAQ file we have over there?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
merryb > wrote:

> > I just took 11 half pints from the waterbath. It's great and the recipe
> > was merely a jumping off point. I used apricots, fresh and dried, and
> > other stuff in addition to the ingredient list in the recipe. I had to
> > do some improvising to get the consistency the way I wanted it.

> Barb, did you re-hydrate the dried apricots? I'm thinking they would
> be nice soaked in bourbon or Southern Comfort before cooking.

I soaked/simmered them. Southern Comfort sounds pretty good to me. :-)

Barbecue Sauce Recipe tan Barbecue 2 03-07-2011 11:42 PM
RECIPE: Zesty Peach Barbecue Sauce Melba's Jammin' Preserving 1 20-09-2008 07:14 PM
On Topic - Recipe: Spaghetti with Zucchini Sauce Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 9 01-08-2007 08:38 AM
Barbecued Oysters With A Zesty Barbecue Sauce Fawnette Larson Recipes (moderated) 0 08-04-2007 04:53 AM
Sweet And Zesty Barbecue Sauce Tim Recipes 1 17-04-2005 08:14 AM