Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Other uses for Red Chili Peppers?

I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else to
use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:43:57 GMT:

D> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a
D> few months ago and while they make a great base for my
D> chili, I'm at a loss of what else to use them for. I can
D> only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

Don't they keep pretty well? You could strip the peppers from
the bunch and keep them in a plastic container at room
temperature. Just remember to wash thoroughly after doing it :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Dave wrote on Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:43:57 GMT:
>
> D> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a
> D> few months ago and while they make a great base for my
> D> chili, I'm at a loss of what else to use them for. I can
> D> only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)
>
> Don't they keep pretty well? You could strip the peppers from the bunch
> and keep them in a plastic container at room temperature. Just remember to
> wash thoroughly after doing it :-)
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

You can grind them into a powder for a spice mix, add to soaps, can be used
in a lot of things.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
>I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
>and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else
>to use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)
>
> Dave

Bottle them up for chili-infused vinegar or oil.
Pulverize them and sprinkle in your garden to keep out pests.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 24, 12:25 pm, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

> You can grind them into a powder for a spice mix, add to soaps, can be used
> in a lot of things.
>
> Joe Cilinceon

WOW!!! That would be interesting, just don't use that soap on your
butt!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mel Mel is offline

On Jul 24, 5:43 pm, "Dave" > wrote:
> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
> and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else to
> use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)
>
> Dave

There are a load of things you can do with them, we use them for pasta
dishes, in thai curry paste, and toppings for pizza. you might get a
few ideas here www.loadsofrecipes.co.uk . The easiest and tastiest
dish is alio olio peperoncino, you'll find it in the pasta section,
it's lush

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 24, 12:25 pm, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
>>

>> You can grind them into a powder for a spice mix, add to soaps, can be
>> used
>> in a lot of things.
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon
>>

> WOW!!! That would be interesting, just don't use that soap on your
> butt!!

LOL, sorry about that I meant soup not soap a slight typo that could be
painful to say the least.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
> and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else
> to use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

For a long time, it was my habit to tear the tops off,
dump out the seeds, thread a few of them on
a bamboo skewer, roast them over my gas stovetop,
then wrap them with a slice of salami (especially
salami secci), and eat them that way. The heat
of the peppers went well against the fat of the
salami.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
> and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else

> use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

Kung Pao chicken
General Tso's Chicken
enchilada sauce
crumble them up and put them in a spice jar

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Dave" > wrote in message
>> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
>> and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else

>> use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

> Kung Pao chicken
> General Tso's Chicken

Yum city. Please don't say anything like this again unless I'm about to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> On Jul 24, 12:25 pm, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:
>>>

>>> You can grind them into a powder for a spice mix, add to soaps, can be
>>> used
>>> in a lot of things.
>>>
>>> Joe Cilinceon
>>>

>> WOW!!! That would be interesting, just don't use that soap on your
>> butt!!
>>

> LOL, sorry about that I meant soup not soap a slight typo that could be
> painful to say the least.

Haha! I was wondering about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>> "itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> WOW!!! That would be interesting, just don't use that soap on your
>>> butt!!
>>>

>> LOL, sorry about that I meant soup not soap a slight typo that could be
>> painful to say the least.

> Haha! I was wondering about that.

It might cure boils on the butt but I sure wouldn't want to try it. Perhaps
habanera pepper soap...... OUCH that would have to hurt.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:43:57 GMT, "Dave" > wrote:

>I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
>and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else to
>use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)
>
>Dave

Dave,
I have a couple of questions. When you say you have one of those big
bundles of dried chili peppers are you talking about ristas?
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...77997123HeYWxI or what.
What I am reading is that you would like recipes other than chili to
use these chili's in, not how to store the remaining chili's. Right?

Just want to know how I can possibly help.

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/22

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Koko> wrote in message ...

> Dave,
> I have a couple of questions. When you say you have one of those big
> bundles of dried chili peppers are you talking about ristas?
> http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...77997123HeYWxI or what.
> What I am reading is that you would like recipes other than chili to
> use these chili's in, not how to store the remaining chili's. Right?
>
> Just want to know how I can possibly help.
>
> Koko

Hi. Yes, those are the peppers. Storing is not a problem as they are quite
happy were they are. I was just looking for some more recipes to use them
up. At the present rate it's going to take years. Any and all suggestions
are welcome, well except maybe things like soap! lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
> <Koko> wrote in message ...
>>
>> Dave,
>> I have a couple of questions. When you say you have one of those big
>> bundles of dried chili peppers are you talking about ristas?
>> http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...77997123HeYWxI or what.
>> What I am reading is that you would like recipes other than chili to
>> use these chili's in, not how to store the remaining chili's. Right?
>>
>> Just want to know how I can possibly help.
>>
>> Koko

> Hi. Yes, those are the peppers. Storing is not a problem as they are quite
> happy were they are. I was just looking for some more recipes to use them
> up. At the present rate it's going to take years. Any and all suggestions
> are welcome, well except maybe things like soap! lol

Infuse them in rum or vodka!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <A6Opi.728$zJ4.725@trndny03>,
"dejablues" > wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote in message
> > <Koko> wrote in message ...
> >>
> >> Dave,
> >> I have a couple of questions. When you say you have one of those big
> >> bundles of dried chili peppers are you talking about ristas?
> >> http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...77997123HeYWxI or what.
> >> What I am reading is that you would like recipes other than chili to
> >> use these chili's in, not how to store the remaining chili's. Right?
> >>
> >> Just want to know how I can possibly help.
> >>
> >> Koko

> > Hi. Yes, those are the peppers. Storing is not a problem as they are quite
> > happy were they are. I was just looking for some more recipes to use them
> > up. At the present rate it's going to take years. Any and all suggestions
> > are welcome, well except maybe things like soap! lol

> Infuse them in rum or vodka!

Infusing them in Vinegar is good too. I've done that with peppers and
they are good for cooking some veggies, or used as is on fish or salads.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 24, 9:43 am, "Dave" > wrote:
> I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
> and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else to
> use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)

Check out recipes from Sichuan and Hunan like:
MaPo Dofu
KungPao chicken
Dong'an chicken
Hunan Lamb

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
aem > wrote:

> On Jul 24, 9:43 am, "Dave" > wrote:
> > I bought one of those big bundles of dried chili peppers a few months ago
> > and while they make a great base for my chili, I'm at a loss of what else to
> > use them for. I can only eat so much chili in the summer! :-)
> >

> Check out recipes from Sichuan and Hunan like:
> MaPo Dofu
> KungPao chicken
> Dong'an chicken
> Hunan Lamb

All of those call for smaller, differently flavored, and (much) hotter
peppers than the large ones that come on a ristra. And MaPo Dofu needs
Szechuan peppercorns, too. Those large New mexico chilis would make all
of them come out wrong.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:25:44 GMT, "Dave" > wrote:

><Koko> wrote in message ...
>>
>> Dave,
>> I have a couple of questions. When you say you have one of those big
>> bundles of dried chili peppers are you talking about ristas?
>> http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...77997123HeYWxI or what.
>> What I am reading is that you would like recipes other than chili to
>> use these chili's in, not how to store the remaining chili's. Right?
>>
>> Just want to know how I can possibly help.
>>
>> Koko

>Hi. Yes, those are the peppers. Storing is not a problem as they are quite
>happy were they are. I was just looking for some more recipes to use them
>up. At the present rate it's going to take years. Any and all suggestions
>are welcome, well except maybe things like soap! lol

Do you have any good enchilada sauce recipes? Chilequilles (sp?) is a
wonderful dish using past their prime tortillas in an enchilada sauce.
Also some caldos (soups) call for chiles.

Now, don't discount the idea of soap. Who knows, you might invent a
soap that exfoliates the skin while providing a youthful glow, and the
heat from the chiles may increase the metabolism to burn off excess
fat.
Ahem... I want my 10% o.k.

Koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 7/22

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> aem > wrote:
>
>> Check out recipes from Sichuan and Hunan like:
>> MaPo Dofu
>> KungPao chicken
>> Dong'an chicken
>> Hunan Lamb

> All of those call for smaller, differently flavored, and (much) hotter
> peppers than the large ones that come on a ristra. And MaPo Dofu needs
> Szechuan peppercorns, too. Those large New mexico chilis would make all
> of them come out wrong.
>
> Isaac

Ha I'm glad you spoke up. I was considering checking out those dishes, but
like you say, these chilies just didn't sound right. They're pretty mild.
Thanks anyway guys!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Koko> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:25:44 GMT, "Dave" > wrote:
>
> Do you have any good enchilada sauce recipes? Chilequilles (sp?) is a
> wonderful dish using past their prime tortillas in an enchilada sauce.
> Also some caldos (soups) call for chiles.
>
> Now, don't discount the idea of soap. Who knows, you might invent a
> soap that exfoliates the skin while providing a youthful glow, and the
> heat from the chiles may increase the metabolism to burn off excess
> fat.
> Ahem... I want my 10% o.k.
>
> Koko

Thanks Koko! Enchilada sauce sounds like just the ticket. Feel free to post
a favorite recipe if you have one.

Dave